Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2136102

Subject: "Peterson-Holt; Ishe Smith-K9; Mayweather's deal with Showtime" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 07:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Peterson-Holt; Ishe Smith-K9; Mayweather's deal with Showtime"

TruSparta X: Winter War & Calculated Risk

http://www.boxing.com/trusparta_x_winter_war_calculated_risk.html

by: David Matthew

* As boxing emerges out of yet another deep seasonal slumber of inactivity, cancelled fights, and botched negotiations, aficionados are anxious for intriguing matchmaking. Whether it was Garcia-Judah, Mitchell-Banks II, or Alexander-Brook, fight fans have been deprived of squared circle warfare in the young days of 2013. Thankfully, there is finally reason for excitement as a myriad of exciting bouts begin to crystallize in the waning days of winter to set up a jam-packed quarter of boxing on the very near horizon.

* This past weekend’s HBO card left much to be desired thanks to the cancellation of Mitchell-Banks II (caused by a legitimate injury to Banks). As such, fans endured a hardly fought battle between Sakio Bika and Nikola Sjekloca, which was televised by HBO as a last-minute replacement to the highly anticipated rematch between Mitchell and Banks. While Bika and Sjekloca fought valiantly, it wasn’t the kind of high-profile fight that HBO subscribers sign up for when they purchase their monthly dose of HBO programming, particularly those who only subscribe to the premium programming outlet for the sole purpose of its award-winning boxing presentations. The card was almost saved as rumors circulated about regarding a Seth Mitchell vs. Bryant Jennings replacement bout, but negotiations fell apart. Team Mitchell deserves credit for being courageously game in considering a last-minute replacement bout against the young and dynamic Jennings. Truth be told, if there wasn’t a possibility that a Wladimir Klitschko vs. Bryant Jennings fight might happen in May, we may have seen Mitchell-Jennings, which likely would’ve been replete with power punching and thunder.

* Saturday’s main event featured another brilliant performance by HBO’s freshly minted Adrien Broner, who now steps to the forefront as “Mr. HBO”. Unfortunately, Broner’s opponent (Gavin Rees) failed to possess the requisite immutable characteristics to give Broner a challenge worthy of premium HBO boxing programming. Rees—who displayed immense heart and courage in battling Broner—simply was undersized and outgunned. Despite the opening pair of rounds displaying competitive fire from Rees, nobody seriously ever felt like Broner was in any danger, simply because it was as if Rees was a freshman in high school trying to fight a college senior. HBO knew this going in, but nonetheless gave the green light for another unsightly matchup which left fans bitterly unfulfilled. Broner’s handlers are smart to bring their young star along slowly and comfortably, as he’s still just 24 years of age even though he’s already a world champion. Being his usual (and brutally) honest self, Broner even hinted that the work was far too easy, likening his fight against Rees to “legal bankrobbing.” Broner even went on to say that he will continue to show up for the massive paychecks and sure-shot victories “As long as HBO is paying me to fight these lightweights.” Conversely, HBO might now be behooved to demand more competitive matchmaking, lest their subscribers trot over to Showtime in droves now that the sport’s biggest star—Floyd Mayweather—has enlisted Showtime/CBS to air his fights.

* This weekend features a refreshing pair of well-matched fights that could produce February fireworks. Both fights are shining examples of quality matchmaking where promoters take the calculated risks that must be made in order for their respective fighters to have a chance to reach boxing’s limelight. Tonight, Lamont Peterson faces Kendall Holt (ESPN “Friday Night Fights”) in what is a badly needed main event after weeks of ESPN cards that sent fans into catatonic states of narcolepsy on couches all across the country. Peterson vs. Holt is a must-win fight for both men. For Peterson, fresh off a suspension for testing positive for PEDs after his spirited war against Amir Khan, a win against Holt will keep him afloat the light welterweight division and in the hunt for another title shot. Because of the positive PED test, Peterson’s victory against Khan is now rightfully under suspicion, and he will need to electrify against Holt in order to cement his status as a rightful (and clean) champion. Will Peterson possess the same dynamic physique against Holt as he featured versus Khan? Will his punches carry the same power and impact? These are questions that must be asked as Peterson now joins the ranks of fighters held to strict scrutiny after recent failed PED testing. For Holt—perhaps best known for his scintillating wars against Colombian stalwart Ricardo Torres—this may be his last opportunity to regain entry into the division’s top-tier. Having lost every time he steps up in class (most notably to Timothy Bradley and Danny Garcia)—Holt nonetheless possesses the skill-set, quickness, and pugilistic dynamism to be a top fighter, but has often drifted into bewildering inactivity in his biggest moments. At 31, “Rated R” Holt will need to turn in an inspired performance against Peterson if he wishes to live up to his early-career hype. This fight features the kind of urgent desperation surrounding two top fighters that can produce electricity. For fans, it’s finally a “Friday Night Fights” installment that is worth staying up for.

* Saturday night also features an intriguing match-up as Ishe “Sugar Shay” Smith faces Cornelius “K9” Bundrage in an IBF light middleweight title fight (Showtime). After a heated final presser, the dynamic clash between these two fighters could prove to create an interesting clash of pugilism. Bundrage, a bruising come-forward stalker, will seek to mount effective offense against the slick, skilled counterpunching Smith. Bundrage—fresh off a pair of TKO victories against the underwhelming Cory Spinks—may be fighting the most skilled boxer he’s ever faced. Smith has been an underappreciated warrior for years, and has been ducked by many-a-fighter as he’s the epitome of “high-risk/low-reward” for matchmakers who rightfully see him as a difficult fighter to face. Now fighting under the Mayweather Promotions regalia, Smith has significant promotional support behind him, along with a main event headline on Showtime that will punctuate a weekend of quality matchmaking within the sweet science.

* Speaking of Showtime, the biggest news of 2013 came this week as Floyd “Money” Mayweather announced a 30-month/six-fight deal with Showtime/CBS that is rumored to be the richest an individual athlete ever made in sports. While the specific terms of the contract are confidential, there is word that the deal could be worth up to as much as $250 million. Mayweather—who referred to his split with HBO as a “divorce” —seems very serious about fighting six times in 30 months, something which some boxing fans find hard to believe. “For the next 30 months I will give you excitement,” explained Mayweather in a recent interview. “I’m excited. I’m about staying active and I’m going to give fans a lot more of what they want to see.” If Mayweather indeed fights six times in 30 months, it will be tremendous for the sport, and fans will be treated to a higher volume ratio of Mayweather boxing than has typified his career in recent years. Also great for the sport is the prospect of boxing’s biggest fights returning to network television via CBS. Given its relationship with Showtime, we will likely see CBS more committed to boxing than ever before, and that can only draw in more casual fans who do not subscribe to premium programming and thus are only exposed to the profoundly average boxing that is too often showcased on regular cable. It will be interesting to see how Showtime and CBS accommodate Mayweather fights, as he has been accustomed to the exquisite pre-fight promo punch that HBO’s 24/7 series has provided him. Mayweather’s first challenge is to take place against capable southpaw Robert “Ghost” Guerrero on May 4th. While some analysts like Guerrero’s chances against Mayweather, it seems far more plausible that this is a precursor to a potential Mayweather-Canelo superfight that might take place in the winter. Now that the appetite for Mayweather-Pacquiao has all but disappeared from the boxing fan’s palate, Mayweather-Canelo is the biggest fight that can be made. Should Canelo get past Austin Trout (a dangerous opponent), it will be interesting to see if Showtime pushes for the potential mega-fight, or if they will be content in simply having Mayweather on its platform. For the sake of the science, let’s hope it’s the former.

Follow TruSparta on Twitter @David_Math
-->

The planets are the chakras -
they are the organs. The organs
must play Harmonic again in the
Orchestra of the Organic Organism.

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com
http://bit.ly/K71yjf

#TruSparta x #Innerstanding

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I wanted to go to that K9 fight but have a prior commitment
Feb 22nd 2013
it's going to be a war. did you see the weigh-in?
Feb 22nd 2013
      I didn't
Feb 22nd 2013
           very tense. Brawl almost broke out
Feb 22nd 2013
RE: Peterson-Holt; Ishe Smith-K9; Mayweather's deal with Showtime
Feb 22nd 2013
RE: Peterson-Holt; Ishe Smith-K9; Mayweather's deal with Showtime
Feb 22nd 2013
Not sure which fight I'm more excited for this weekend
Feb 22nd 2013
RE: Not sure which fight I'm more excited for this weekend
Feb 22nd 2013
how does Peterson still have a belt? SMH, that's boxing folks
Feb 22nd 2013
Peterson-Holt should be fun to watch...
Feb 22nd 2013
Damn, that body shot was wicked. I think dude was crying.
Feb 22nd 2013
RE: Damn, that body shot was wicked. I think dude was crying.
Feb 22nd 2013
Plaxico!
Feb 22nd 2013
Peterson knows the fight started right?
Feb 22nd 2013
welp, there went that
Feb 22nd 2013
Holt is a *live* underdog early - Peterson curiously inactive
Feb 22nd 2013
WOW! Lamont finally woke up in round 4 and did serious damage.
Feb 22nd 2013
Whew, Holt ain't gonna make it. This looks like curtains.
Feb 22nd 2013
Lamont turning up the heat
Feb 22nd 2013
Holt's gonna quit. watch
Feb 22nd 2013
yup - his will seems broken.
Feb 22nd 2013
holt don't want no more
Feb 22nd 2013
If Peterson would just let his hands go a split second faster
Feb 22nd 2013
That was a good solid ass whoopin by Peterson.
Feb 22nd 2013
Yes indeed
Feb 22nd 2013
weird fight. i thought Holt was damn near dominating for several
Feb 23rd 2013
really weird. i thought holt won the first 3 rounds easy
Feb 23rd 2013
Holt just can't take a punch. The way he fought this fight reminded me.....
Feb 23rd 2013
haven't seen a fight shift that dramatically in a while....
Feb 23rd 2013
      man 140 is looking flat out LOADED again
Feb 23rd 2013
Let's get it Ishe
Feb 23rd 2013
What'd the ref take a point for?
Feb 23rd 2013
Ok, nvm
Feb 23rd 2013
Never seen Bundrage fight. Is he always this sloppy?
Feb 23rd 2013
RE: Never seen Bundrage fight. Is he always this sloppy?
Feb 23rd 2013
This is a horrible fight.
Feb 23rd 2013
A monotonous jab fest
Feb 23rd 2013
      Not only that, but these dudes punch like they're drunk...
Feb 23rd 2013
           Lol, true
Feb 23rd 2013
Ishe's picked up the pace the last few rounds
Feb 23rd 2013
Congrats to Ishe
Feb 23rd 2013
what a wack fight
Feb 23rd 2013
I've seen more precise backyard brawls, but am happy for Ishe
Feb 24th 2013
RE: I've seen more precise backyard brawls, but am happy for Ishe
Feb 24th 2013
Wow Malik Scott got fucking robbed!!!
Feb 24th 2013
Good for him
Feb 24th 2013
His 6 potential choices: ALL Golden Boy fighters (swipe)
Feb 24th 2013
LMAO!!! The person who wrote that piece = FURIOUS!!
Feb 24th 2013
Martinez, Bradley, and Marquez rematch options are missing from the list...
Feb 24th 2013
      bwahahahhaahahha!!!! POST PACQUIAO DEPRESSION, YALL!!!!!!
Feb 25th 2013
      IMO Bradley would school Guerrero
Feb 25th 2013
      He'd win a biggest head off
Feb 25th 2013
      Actually, if you consider the vertical span of the entire head
Feb 25th 2013
      Berto is better than any fighter Bradley ever beat, by far
Feb 25th 2013
           Probably, but I still hold that Bradley is the better fighter
Feb 25th 2013
           Describe Bradley's skill set to me.
Feb 25th 2013
                Mah fucker didnt even beat Campbell
Feb 25th 2013
                I've been describing it for years here
Feb 25th 2013
                     Yeah I realized I was probably too hard on Bradley.
Feb 25th 2013
           Bradley isn't a "pop" fighter...
Feb 25th 2013
                a few head clashes with bradley would slow anyone down
Feb 25th 2013
      Just wanted to say I was here... LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
Feb 25th 2013
      you gonna be ok?
Feb 25th 2013
      I'll manage
Feb 25th 2013
           take that back...
Feb 25th 2013
      http://24.media.tumblr.com/dc012362d6909b4811c77940ff81352f/tumblr_meu2s...
Feb 25th 2013
Boston writer: HBO needs to get more white fighters on the air
Feb 25th 2013
Basically. That was among the maddest pieces of sportswriting ever.
Feb 25th 2013
LOL @ that being 20+ paragraphs into the article
Feb 25th 2013
lol damn that was pure anger.
Feb 25th 2013
if that list is true it's fucking pathetic
Feb 25th 2013
      So, which non-middleweights do you want him to fight?
Feb 25th 2013
Peterson
Feb 25th 2013
what up bitches?????
Feb 25th 2013
http://oi1.tinypic.com/6co5l08.gif
Feb 25th 2013

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66756 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 07:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I wanted to go to that K9 fight but have a prior commitment "
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 07:23 PM

2. "it's going to be a war. did you see the weigh-in?"
In response to Reply # 1

Plus, it's held in a masonic temple. lol I love it.

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

Ceej
66756 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 07:30 PM

3. "I didn't "
In response to Reply # 2

Alexander dropping from the card kinda sucked to.

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 08:23 PM

7. "very tense. Brawl almost broke out"
In response to Reply # 3

>Alexander dropping from the card kinda sucked to.

big time.

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: Peterson-Holt; Ishe Smith-K9; Mayweather's deal with Showtime"
In response to Reply # 0

i think Jennings has a brighter future than Mitchell.....but I wouldn't want him taking that fight right now
didn't even know about the peterson/holt fight i'll DVR that now before I roll out, tnx

~~~~~~

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 07:44 PM

5. "RE: Peterson-Holt; Ishe Smith-K9; Mayweather's deal with Showtime"
In response to Reply # 4

>i think Jennings has a brighter future than Mitchell.....but
>I wouldn't want him taking that fight right now
>didn't even know about the peterson/holt fight i'll DVR that
>now before I roll out, tnx

I think it's a good move for Jennings to fight Wlad now.

(1) He gets a $1-2.5 million payday.
(2) He might never get the chance to fight Wlad again
(3) if he loses - so what, he was supposed to...it won't derail his career
that badly to lose to an all-time great.

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

Poorspellir
Member since Oct 26th 2011
1911 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Not sure which fight I'm more excited for this weekend"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-22-13 08:01 PM by Poorspellir

I'll take Peterson and Smith.

As you rightly pointed out, Holt, despite a couple flashy knockouts, hasn't won one of these step-up fights yet. We know Lamont's going to the body right from the jump. I don't think he stops him, but he'll make it decisive.

Openly rooting for Ishe Smith, dude's been one of my favorites for years. Sometimes he can be a bit too patient in there, gets outworked. Can't let that happen tomorrow night.

I hope we get to see a left to the body, left hook upstairs combination from Holt though. He throws that as well as anyone in the sport.

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 08:26 PM

8. "RE: Not sure which fight I'm more excited for this weekend"
In response to Reply # 6

>I'll take Peterson and Smith.

that's who I got -- but I also feel that one shot (from either
Holt or Bundrage) could end the fight...though I think it's unlikely that
this happens.

>As you rightly pointed out, Holt, despite a couple flashy
>knockouts, hasn't won one of these step-up fights yet. We know
>Lamont's going to the body right from the jump. I don't think
>he stops him, but he'll make it decisive.
>
>Openly rooting for Ishe Smith, dude's been one of my favorites
>for years. Sometimes he can be a bit too patient in there,
>gets outworked. Can't let that happen tomorrow night.
>
>I hope we get to see a left to the body, left hook upstairs
>combination from Holt though. He throws that as well as anyone
>in the sport.

co-sign on all fronts. Smith earned this title-shot the hard way -
has fought real fighters - and is an under-regarded tactician.

Holt quickly became one of my fav. fighters (a half decade ago)
because of exactly what you pointed out - his dynamic ability to
go to the body and convert w/ that left hook upstairs (which clocked
Bradley on that picture-perfect left-hook that lifted him off the canvas).

I'd love to see him get off with a few of those tonight. He'll need them in DC as
I don't see him winning on the cards in any scenario.

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 09:10 PM

9. "how does Peterson still have a belt? SMH, that's boxing folks"
In response to Reply # 0

hasn't fought in 14 months, pissed hot...

AND STILL CHAMPION!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 09:17 PM

10. "Peterson-Holt should be fun to watch..."
In response to Reply # 0

activity and body punching against knockout power. I think Peterson will get this one. I just think he's too well rounded and his activity should be the difference. I'm so glad this shit is on ESPN. Especially when lesser fights have been on PPV.

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 09:44 PM

11. "Damn, that body shot was wicked. I think dude was crying."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-22-13 09:44 PM by BlassFemur

I know I woulda been.

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 09:47 PM

12. "RE: Damn, that body shot was wicked. I think dude was crying."
In response to Reply # 11

Definitely felt for him. Perfectly placed shot.

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:10 PM

13. "Plaxico!"
In response to Reply # 0

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Peterson knows the fight started right?"
In response to Reply # 0

I got it 3-0 Holt, but not terribly impressively. Peterson looks disinterested.

i still blame hip-hop.

veritas
37201 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "welp, there went that"
In response to Reply # 14

i still blame hip-hop.

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:25 PM

15. "Holt is a *live* underdog early - Peterson curiously inactive"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-22-13 10:32 PM by Vex_id

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:30 PM

19. "WOW! Lamont finally woke up in round 4 and did serious damage."
In response to Reply # 15

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

BlassFemur
10309 posts

17. "Whew, Holt ain't gonna make it. This looks like curtains."
In response to Reply # 0

Poorspellir
1911 posts

18. "Lamont turning up the heat"
In response to Reply # 0

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:31 PM

20. "Holt's gonna quit. watch"
In response to Reply # 0

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:32 PM

21. "yup - his will seems broken."
In response to Reply # 20

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:32 PM

22. "holt don't want no more"
In response to Reply # 0

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:38 PM

23. "If Peterson would just let his hands go a split second faster"
In response to Reply # 0

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:44 PM

24. "That was a good solid ass whoopin by Peterson."
In response to Reply # 0

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Fri Feb-22-13 10:48 PM

25. "Yes indeed"
In response to Reply # 24

southphillyman
90059 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 10:49 AM

26. "weird fight. i thought Holt was damn near dominating for several"
In response to Reply # 0

rounds. then everything went topsy turvy
i think that looping overhand right behind holts ear turned the whole fight around
what i don't understand is why did holt allow himself to get in that position to get stunned in the first place, peterson could barely land a jab early much less anything else
gotta give peterson credit for being patient and basically waiting for holt to fuck up then jumping on it

~~~~~~

veritas
37201 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:12 AM

27. "really weird. i thought holt won the first 3 rounds easy"
In response to Reply # 26

without even doing much.

then peterson woke up and it was basically over.

i still blame hip-hop.

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 01:24 PM

29. "Holt just can't take a punch. The way he fought this fight reminded me....."
In response to Reply # 27

of Khan, where he could look world-class at times, then get hit by a half-decent shot that may not even fully connect, and straight crumble. They both recover crazy slow too. Like, once they're hurt...they're a sitting duck for a few minutes.

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 12:20 PM

28. "haven't seen a fight shift that dramatically in a while...."
In response to Reply # 26

Holt was bouncy, in a nice a rhythm, and boxing very effective
in rounds 1-3....then as you noted, he got caught - and Peterson
smelled blood and his entire demeanor changed from unsure tactician
to stalk-forward predator. I went from thinking Peterson was
post-PED deflated to thinking he was showing shades of his effective
slugging in the Khan fight. Wild fight. Holt is now effectively shot.

Bring on Peterson-Matthysse

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

southphillyman
90059 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 01:26 PM

30. "man 140 is looking flat out LOADED again"
In response to Reply # 28

peterson
rios
alvardo
danny garcia (lol)
matthysse
khan
zab
potentially devon alexander or even tim bradley maybe if they can't get fights at welter

~~~~~~

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 10:16 PM

31. "Let's get it Ishe"
In response to Reply # 0

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 10:32 PM

32. "What'd the ref take a point for?"
In response to Reply # 0

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 10:34 PM

33. "Ok, nvm"
In response to Reply # 32

The ref's gotta do a better job letting us know what he's ruling.

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 10:40 PM

34. "Never seen Bundrage fight. Is he always this sloppy?"
In response to Reply # 0

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 10:43 PM

35. "RE: Never seen Bundrage fight. Is he always this sloppy?"
In response to Reply # 34
Sat Feb-23-13 10:50 PM by Poorspellir

Pretty much. He's pretty awkward. He threw a straight right hand in the second round I think. I don't think I'd ever seen him do that before.

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 10:47 PM

36. "This is a horrible fight."
In response to Reply # 0

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:01 PM

37. "A monotonous jab fest "
In response to Reply # 36
Sat Feb-23-13 11:07 PM by Poorspellir

With the occassional right hand. Someone go to the body, throw a left hook, something.

BlassFemur
10309 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:04 PM

38. "Not only that, but these dudes punch like they're drunk..."
In response to Reply # 37

both of them wild, wide and sloppy. Horrible footwork. Both falling into their punches. This shit is hard to watch.

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:12 PM

40. "Lol, true"
In response to Reply # 38

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:05 PM

39. "Ishe's picked up the pace the last few rounds"
In response to Reply # 0

Starting to pull away

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:15 PM

41. "Congrats to Ishe"
In response to Reply # 0

Been a long career, finally a world champ.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:23 PM

42. "what a wack fight"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 12:25 AM

43. "I've seen more precise backyard brawls, but am happy for Ishe"
In response to Reply # 0

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

Poorspellir
1911 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 12:29 AM

44. "RE: I've seen more precise backyard brawls, but am happy for Ishe"
In response to Reply # 43

That scene in the ring afterwards was great. He was a teary mess, overjoyed and overwhelmed.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 12:42 AM

45. "Wow Malik Scott got fucking robbed!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~

Ceej
66756 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 09:29 AM

46. "Good for him"
In response to Reply # 0

Great night in Detroit last night.

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 08:50 PM

47. "His 6 potential choices: ALL Golden Boy fighters (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://bostonherald.com/sports/other/boxing/2013/02/showtime_sure_to_lose_on_money

#COWARD

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 10:39 PM

48. "LMAO!!! The person who wrote that piece = FURIOUS!!"
In response to Reply # 47

Simple question:

What non-middleweight is Floyd Mayweather supposed
to fight?

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 11:39 PM

49. "Martinez, Bradley, and Marquez rematch options are missing from the list..."
In response to Reply # 48
Sun Feb-24-13 11:54 PM by TRENDone

oh and some nobody named Manny Pacquiao...ever heard of him? Floyd, his father, and Floyd's trainer were talking reckless about him for 3+ years before Floyd went to jail...

c'mon Floyd supporters. I need to hear your "un-biased" responses, citations of boxing history, and "sports expertise" to the article written by some guy who writes for the boston hearld...online. PLEASE educate this humbled Pactard.

OKS you win...blame it ALLLL on Arum

*polishes the "I'm a Floyd fan but I like Donaire" bandwagon*

Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 12:07 AM

50. "bwahahahhaahahha!!!! POST PACQUIAO DEPRESSION, YALL!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 49

http://tinyurl.com/b66mxht

CRY YOU FUCKING PUSSY!!!

>oh and some nobody named Manny Pacquiao...ever heard of him?
>Floyd, his father, and Floyd's trainer were talking reckless
>about him for 3+ years before Floyd went to jail...

Pacquiao is brain dead, seizing and got knocked the
fuck out by a guy Floyd made look like a bum amateur

Mad?

Sergio is literally the middleweight champion, idiot

Bwahahahah @ Bradley, he is fucking GARBAGE, worse than
Guerrero

Team MARQUEZ wants NO PARTS OF MAYWEATHER because he
EMBARRASSED hims ass

>c'mon Floyd supporters. I need to hear your "un-biased"
>responses, citations of boxing history, and "sports expertise"
>to the article written by some guy who writes for the boston
>hearld...online. PLEASE educate this humbled Pactard.
>OKS you win...blame it ALLLL on Arum
>
>*polishes the "I'm a Floyd fan but I like Donaire" bandwagon*

CRY CRYBABT CRRYY!!!!!

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Lightfoot
Member since Jan 01st 2004
5265 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 09:29 AM

53. "IMO Bradley would school Guerrero"
In response to Reply # 50

Dude might *still* be the most underappreciated fighter in the game.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Stones. Rocks. Subways. Blocks.

Ceej
66756 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 09:52 AM

54. "He'd win a biggest head off"
In response to Reply # 53

thats for sure

Lightfoot
5265 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:07 AM

56. "Actually, if you consider the vertical span of the entire head"
In response to Reply # 54

Then Robert "hey why the long face" Guerrero has a legitimate shot.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:51 AM

61. "Berto is better than any fighter Bradley ever beat, by far"
In response to Reply # 53

Obviously not including Pacquiao

(C)Keith Murray, "

Lightfoot
5265 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 11:01 AM

62. "Probably, but I still hold that Bradley is the better fighter"
In response to Reply # 61

I have no agenda. I'm not calling for Mayweather-Bradley and would actually be ecstatic to see Bradley-Marquez. But to call Bradley "garbage" considering his skill set and his resume over the past six years is silly. Dude earned his way into the P4P top 10 and deserves it.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 01:41 PM

64. "Describe Bradley's skill set to me. "
In response to Reply # 62

>I have no agenda. I'm not calling for Mayweather-Bradley and
>would actually be ecstatic to see Bradley-Marquez. But to
>call Bradley "garbage" considering his skill set and his
>resume over the past six years is silly. Dude earned his way
>into the P4P top 10 and deserves it.

Because he beat Nate Campbell and Joel Casamayor?

Describe what he does well. I'm listening.

Ceej
66756 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 01:42 PM

65. "Mah fucker didnt even beat Campbell"
In response to Reply # 64

Lightfoot
5265 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 02:10 PM

66. "I've been describing it for years here"
In response to Reply # 64

It's pretty simple. His ability to get inside, land, and not get hit is uncanny. There is a reason why his opponents can't find his above-average sized head even as he is *constantly* entering punching range. I don't have to tell you they can't because they all say so themselves after the fights. The only time he really got caught was against Holt and for most rounds Holt couldn't find him either--and like a lot of guys Holt said so himself after the fight. Bradley was more tentative against Pacquiao, but otherwise he is always aggressive, always pressing, and he rarely pays for it. His head movement is subtle but it is as effective as that of anybody in the game not named Mayweather or Ward.

Berto gets hit cleanly a lot. So does Guerrero--in every serious fight he's in (other than maybe Katsidis) he's gotten hit flush. Bradley doesn't, because his head and upper body movement is miles better than either of those guys. And that is as important a skill as anything in boxing.

I mean you know I don't just make shit up.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 06:06 PM

68. "Yeah I realized I was probably too hard on Bradley. "
In response to Reply # 66

That Pacquiao performance was dreadful, sorta
soured me on him

But he's obviously quite good

(C)Keith Murray, "

BLACK_ADAM
Member since Mar 21st 2006
4791 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 11:23 AM

63. "Bradley isn't a "pop" fighter..."
In response to Reply # 61

He is game...high energy...and skilled but he does not command respect with his punches...

Son can score his punches but he can't get that upfront respect with them. He gets respect late in fights after his opponents have worn down some...

...and arguably after quite a few head clashes..

I would love to see the guy get more opportunities but I can do without the third fist. I haven't seen him win a clean fight or rather, I haven't seen him earn a real clean win where his opponent just has to give it up to him instead of having a complaint about him...

"Inspectah Deck, he's like...he's like that dude thatta sit back and watch you play yourself and all that right? And see you sit there and know you lyin; and he'll take you to court after that, cuz he the Inspectah."

AlBundy
9621 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:56 PM

71. "a few head clashes with bradley would slow anyone down"
In response to Reply # 63

“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

BLACK_ADAM
Member since Mar 21st 2006
4791 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:40 AM

59. "Just wanted to say I was here... LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 50

Jules from Pulp Fiction level anger up in this fucking place....

Fuck Boston beat writers...they're all (admittedely) mad and assholes..

Selective assed memory motherfuckers!! LOL!

None of the guys calling Mayweather a coward even bothered to secure a ranking to face him. Arum and his stable in particular

None of them even bothered to face off against each other until the Arum cise and coward talk gained any traction...and just prior to that short period...they all went out and fought motherfuckers that were even *more obscure* to capture belts beyond the fringes of the fringe to manufacture mystique...

Then the catchweight drama..

Man... cats really want to bring all that shit up again...

"Nuh-no NOOOOO!!! Naaahtooodaay!!!!" *Mutumbo finger*

Disgusting.

To the nation of goalposts with legs...*Dikembe slaps* (('G')) EICO

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:16 AM

58. "you gonna be ok?"

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 06:02 PM

67. "I'll manage"
In response to Reply # 58

group reply:

if the article is true, 3-4 fighters do not deserve to be on that list of potential 6. it's proof floyd is a ducker, period. IF THE LIST IS TRUE.

bradley and marquez II deserve a shot at that showtime money. pacquiao too. i'm sure he'd do it for $20 mil after a tune-up. and sergio martinez can make 154 or take a paycut for 156. cmon he's like 40.

ps. pacquiao/marquez V would outsell ANY of those mayweather "mega-fights." and you know it. want another wild card? pacquiao/broner would outsell ALL those fights, too.

braindead pac:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/20/sports/la-sp-dwyre-manny-pacquiao-20130221

Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:31 PM

69. "take that back..."
In response to Reply # 67
Mon Feb-25-13 10:33 PM by TRENDone

>
>ps. pacquiao/marquez V would outsell ANY of those mayweather
>"mega-fights." and you know it. want another wild card?
>pacquiao/broner would outsell ALL those fights, too.
>

Alvarez, Broner, Mayweather all on one card May 4 card. just heard today. L-ol Mayweather's gonna do 1.5m+

Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

AlBundy
9621 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:54 PM

70. "http://24.media.tumblr.com/dc012362d6909b4811c77940ff81352f/tumblr_meu2s..."

http://24.media.tumblr.com/dc012362d6909b4811c77940ff81352f/tumblr_meu2saKfL31rrbspuo1_500.jpg

AnonymousCoward
Member since Sep 17th 2002
15394 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 09:16 AM

51. "Boston writer: HBO needs to get more white fighters on the air "

http://clydefrazierapproves.com/
http://stylepoints.tumblr.com/

"Like 4 out of 5 things you say on OKP offend me." -FireBrand

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 09:20 AM

52. "Basically. That was among the maddest pieces of sportswriting ever. "
In response to Reply # 51

(C)Keith Murray, "

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42798 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 09:57 AM

55. "LOL @ that being 20+ paragraphs into the article"
In response to Reply # 51

cmon

Vex_id
Charter member
65620 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:13 AM

57. "lol damn that was pure anger."

-->

(c) Innerstanding

www.astralquest.com

southphillyman
90059 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:58 PM

72. "if that list is true it's fucking pathetic"

the floyd stan/idiots already in here saying the writer is mad or whatever dumb shit bwhahaahah
cmon man those fights are pathetic
half of the names listed are fucking jr welters or recently moved up in the last year. cmon
danny garcia? maidana? angulo?
u know shit is hard out here when devon alexander might be the 2nd most talented dude on a list of 6
it's obvious this is gonna be a financial L for showtime but that shit might be a mega L if they actually let him make these fights
fight guerrero then fight canelo and just play the rest by ear
maybe somebody can come up in the next year 1/2 - 2 yrs that worth worrying about
does GBP promote keith thurman? if so they can hype that fight up in 2 yrs, at least do us a favor and give us some unproven entity or something like they doing with canelo
don't try to give us dudes we KNOW are wack
garcia - slow ass hands, no head movement, subpar boxer, gets by on "heart" lol
maidana - officially gatekeeper status right now
angulo - typical dumb zombie tijuana style fighter
devon alexander - lil as shit with no heart
cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

~~~~~~

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 11:54 PM

74. "So, which non-middleweights do you want him to fight? "
In response to Reply # 72

Canelo's people are obviously responsible for him
not fighting Floyd, according to you at least

Who is Floyd supposed to fight?

(C)Keith Murray, "

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 10:45 AM

60. "Peterson"
In response to Reply # 0

The Armory had a totally different feel than his last fight at the Convention Center. They were much more organized actually the security was overzealous. We were sure we could by the cheapest tickets and sit dam near ringside but it didn't quite work out like that.

I will always root for the hometown fighter but of all the fighters at 140 mentioned earlier in this post I think Lamont is the least talented fighter of the bunch. I thought he lost to Amir Khan. I would not have been surprised if Holt stopped him. Holt's performances have been up and down lately but one thing he does have is power and Lamont has never been difficult to find. Holt can be outworked (c) Bradley but even in that fight he put him down twice. I thought Lamont was giving him too much respect in the earlier rounds. He was not pressing at all and actually trying to box. It appeared I was right until the 4th round. I didn't really see the punch that changed everything but once he started pressing, Holt just wilted. The ending was inevitable.

There is something to be said about intangibles. Lamont had a hard life and ultimately a tough fighter. He may not be the best boxer or biggest puncher but his will is unmatched. He should be in line for a big fight soon. I hope it's in DC.

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 11:42 PM

73. "what up bitches?????"
In response to Reply # 0

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 11:55 PM

75. "http://oi1.tinypic.com/6co5l08.gif"
In response to Reply # 73
Mon Feb-25-13 11:55 PM by Orbit_Established

http://oi1.tinypic.com/6co5l08.gif

(C)Keith Murray, "

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2136102 Previous topic | Next topic