Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2779223

Subject: "Did we completely ignore Me'Shelle's tribute to Nina" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Feb-17-13 09:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Did we completely ignore Me'Shelle's tribute to Nina"

Cause it's pretty dope. I hadn't forgotten about it but missed the release date and then time just flew. But I heard Mississippi Goddamn this weekend and was reminded oh yeah Me'shelle did that thang. So went to my local spot (amazon dot) and copped.

This is really just beautiful ish yall. When I saw her what year and a half ago now she mentioned how she was in her producer phase. And you can really hear her coming out of her Joe Henry intensive that was "Weather" and into this. Almost a direct connect with Weather ending with "Don't Take My Kindness for Weakness" into this joint's lead off "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood." Speaking of that joint, my wife nearly gave up da panties on spec when that shit came on because of the way Me'Shelle was channeling Sade on the vocals. I ain't lying. She ran into the room already unbuttoning her shirt, like "is that new Sa..." I don't even know why I ain't lie. It's wild because there's a couple of joints where she really does capture that Sade vibe to a tee.

One of the things I've always loved about her is how she lets other musicians do there thing. Like you'll be listening to a joint and say damn the background vocals is killin it, then read the liners and say oh shit that's Caron Wheeler or Lalah Hathaway. Neither one of them show up here but she pulled out Toshi on the killer rendition of "House of the Rising Sun". I'm gonna need more of that combo. Shit she got Lizz Wright and Sinead O'Conner on there (remembers that Sinead letter from about a year ago hmmm).

But real talk this shit is just beautiful. I hope I was the only one that slept on it, and that yall are all already hipped. If not pick it up and enjoy. Can't wait to hear what this woman does next.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I didn't, I picked it up day of release
Feb 17th 2013
tell me she didn't kill "Four Women" though
Feb 17th 2013
I really like the album
Feb 17th 2013
didnt even know. on it now dho
Feb 17th 2013
I've mentioned it a few times around the time it was released
Feb 18th 2013
RE: Did we completely ignore Me'Shelle's tribute to Nina
Feb 18th 2013
RE: Did we completely ignore Me'Shelle's tribute to Nina
Feb 18th 2013
My favorite is "Suzanne". It just bounces...
Feb 18th 2013
it's absolutely wonderful.
Feb 19th 2013
RE: it's absolutely wonderful.
Feb 19th 2013
      RE: it's absolutely wonderful.
Feb 19th 2013
yeah, it's superb.
Feb 19th 2013

rdhull
Charter member
33141 posts
Sun Feb-17-13 09:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I didn't, I picked it up day of release"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a solid B+ A-...the song choices and interpretations lend to her decades long marijuana like haze of production and delivery.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Feb-17-13 10:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "tell me she didn't kill "Four Women" though"
In response to Reply # 1

good god!! she kilt dat shit!!
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Sun Feb-17-13 11:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I really like the album"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------------------------------------------------------

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Feb-17-13 11:05 PM

4. "didnt even know. on it now dho"
In response to Reply # 0

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Mon Feb-18-13 12:55 AM

5. "I've mentioned it a few times around the time it was released"
In response to Reply # 0

you can't go wrong with Meshell.

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Mon Feb-18-13 01:06 AM

6. "RE: Did we completely ignore Me'Shelle's tribute to Nina"
In response to Reply # 0

there have been a few posts about it but we haven't given it the attention it deserves

dude

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Mon Feb-18-13 04:30 PM

7. "RE: Did we completely ignore Me'Shelle's tribute to Nina"
In response to Reply # 0

I was too busy listening to Jimi Hendrix.

signature pose.

Taye DiggumSmacks
Member since Feb 17th 2010
1435 posts
Mon Feb-18-13 07:20 PM

8. "My favorite is "Suzanne". It just bounces..."
In response to Reply # 0

"Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and "Either Way I Lose" are great also...

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Tue Feb-19-13 09:32 AM

9. "it's absolutely wonderful."
In response to Reply # 0

Might be my fav album from last year - and further confirmation that I'm on pure groupie status w/Meshell these days.

Saw her do most of the album in November (Thanksgiving weekend I think?). Incredible performance.

Highlights:
- Please Don't Let Me... is just sick. I like the Sade comparison - fits there.
- Feelin Good is pure mystical Meshell - in the zone. Same with See Line Woman (but in a different way). She was killing the bass on the latter live.
- Turn Me On brings attention to a bit of a lesser-known cut - I've had it on repeat a lot.
- I wasn't feeling "Be My Husband" at first but now it's one of my favorites. She opened with that live - the crowd went crazy in that silent "what did we just walk into?" sort of way.
- 4 Women is hard to listen to but I really enjoy her take. She was on Fresh Air talking about the album and Terry Gross asked about the fact that she doesn't try to do the iconic "my name is Peaches" ... Meshell told a great story about how at one show, an audience member got up and said "I am Peaches" when the song was done. Okay, a little corny, but Meshell was all about it.
- Nobody's Fault But Mine was another tune I'd never paid attention to... which reminds me that I need to grab some Lizz Wright soon, I've enjoyed everything I've heard from her.

Only track I didn't enjoy much was House of the Rising Sun, but I've never been a fan of any version of that song, so I don't really count that against her, lol.

I hate that she gets so much critical acclaim but her albums always slide under the radar. I also hate that Weather wasn't released on vinyl, but that's another story...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Feb-19-13 09:50 AM

10. "RE: it's absolutely wonderful."
In response to Reply # 9

>Might be my fav album from last year - and further
>confirmation that I'm on pure groupie status w/Meshell these
>days.

Feels sooooo good.

>Highlights:
>- Please Don't Let Me... is just sick. I like the Sade
>comparison - fits there.

It's weird that I'd never made that connection before when it seems so obvious now.

>- 4 Women is hard to listen to but I really enjoy her take.

My kids were listening and got so pulled in, they kept asking, what's this song about? What's her name?

>Only track I didn't enjoy much was House of the Rising Sun,
>but I've never been a fan of any version of that song, so I
>don't really count that against her, lol.

I can sort of understand that. Do you not like any any, or just one? I was never a big fan of the song, but this rendition being led by Toshi who's one of my fav vocalists not enough people know about... yeah it works for me.

>I hate that she gets so much critical acclaim but her albums
>always slide under the radar.

I hate that so many people gave up on her for not being __________. I love that she doesn't give a fuck and keeps churning out greatness though.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Tue Feb-19-13 01:08 PM

12. "RE: it's absolutely wonderful."
In response to Reply # 10

>I can sort of understand that. Do you not like any any, or
>just one? I was never a big fan of the song, but this
>rendition being led by Toshi who's one of my fav vocalists not
>enough people know about... yeah it works for me.

I think that I mostly don't like the sort of droning long-form version (a la The Animals) ... Nina's is probably the one I enjoy most (on "... Sings the Blues") ... and insofar as Meshell's is a nice take on Nina's, I enjoy it enough. But the droning version just rings in my ears, so even versions substantially different kind of grate on me.

It's weird too - I rarely can say "I don't like ______" in terms of a given song - I might not like the performance, but I usually don't feel inclined to judge actual song as bad. In this case, there's almost something about the tonality of the thing... *shrug*

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Feb-19-13 11:33 AM

11. "yeah, it's superb."
In response to Reply # 0

stellar stuff.

that 'house of the rising sun' is just killer.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2779223 Previous topic | Next topic