Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectit's absolutely wonderful.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2779223&mesg_id=2779657
2779657, it's absolutely wonderful.
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Feb-19-13 09:32 AM
Might be my fav album from last year - and further confirmation that I'm on pure groupie status w/Meshell these days.

Saw her do most of the album in November (Thanksgiving weekend I think?). Incredible performance.

Highlights:
- Please Don't Let Me... is just sick. I like the Sade comparison - fits there.
- Feelin Good is pure mystical Meshell - in the zone. Same with See Line Woman (but in a different way). She was killing the bass on the latter live.
- Turn Me On brings attention to a bit of a lesser-known cut - I've had it on repeat a lot.
- I wasn't feeling "Be My Husband" at first but now it's one of my favorites. She opened with that live - the crowd went crazy in that silent "what did we just walk into?" sort of way.
- 4 Women is hard to listen to but I really enjoy her take. She was on Fresh Air talking about the album and Terry Gross asked about the fact that she doesn't try to do the iconic "my name is Peaches" ... Meshell told a great story about how at one show, an audience member got up and said "I am Peaches" when the song was done. Okay, a little corny, but Meshell was all about it.
- Nobody's Fault But Mine was another tune I'd never paid attention to... which reminds me that I need to grab some Lizz Wright soon, I've enjoyed everything I've heard from her.

Only track I didn't enjoy much was House of the Rising Sun, but I've never been a fan of any version of that song, so I don't really count that against her, lol.

I hate that she gets so much critical acclaim but her albums always slide under the radar. I also hate that Weather wasn't released on vinyl, but that's another story...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~