Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #13213

Subject: "Kordell Stewart/Gay Rumors" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
DonKnutts
Charter member
27064 posts
Sun Jan-13-02 05:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kordell Stewart/Gay Rumors"

Methinks Kordell doth protest too much.

Excerpted from an article from this week's SI:

"Stewart's sensitivity and his low profile off the field made him seem distant to teammates during his difficult periods.
Moreover, some Steelers admit they were fazed by rumors that Stewart was gay, until he called a meeting before the 1999 season and issued a denial that included graphic descriptions of heterosexual acts he enjoys. 'I could see the humor in the situation,' Stewart says, 'so I decided to have some fun with it. At one point I said, "You'd better not leave your girlfriends around me, because I'm out to prove a point." A couple of guys said, "F'ck you, Kordell," and we all cracked up.'"

If anything, the team meeting described in the article wouldn't dispel the gay rumors, but make them seem more real. The whole situation seems forced and pathetic -- not funny as Kordell claims.

What's really interesting is the whole homophobic culture of athletics -- the fact a player has to stand before the team to prove his (supposed) heterosexuality.

The days of an un-closeted gay NFL player -- esp. a QB -- are far, far away.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
closet warriors
Jan 13th 2002
i dunno though...
Jan 13th 2002
kordell might wanna
Jan 13th 2002
      RE: kordell might wanna
Jan 13th 2002
Jan 13th 2002
Jan 14th 2002
           diff. b/w kordell & westbrook
Jan 14th 2002
                RE: diff. b/w kordell & westbrook
Jan 14th 2002
                RE: diff. b/w kordell & westbrook
Jan 14th 2002
Jan 14th 2002
Jan 14th 2002
rumor has been around a bit
Jan 14th 2002
ummm
Jan 14th 2002
      RE: ummm
Jan 14th 2002
Jan 14th 2002
Jan 14th 2002
      Thigpen
Kwamology
Jan 14th 2002
Read ESPN The Mag article
Jan 14th 2002
RE: Kordell Stewart/Gay Rumors
Jan 14th 2002
RE: Kordell Stewart/Gay Rumors
Jan 14th 2002
      Thank you
Jan 14th 2002
           HBO special
Jan 14th 2002

StirsDsoul
Charter member
27168 posts
Sun Jan-13-02 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "closet warriors"
In response to Reply # 0

it SHOULDN'T make a difference....

but i'm not naive enough to believe that.

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Sun Jan-13-02 05:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i dunno though..."
In response to Reply # 0

first off, garcia's gotta come out of the closet eventually....

second, i think you may be misinterpreting the spirit of the meeting. it sounds to me like it at least MAY have been a man very comfortable in his own sexuality who decided to confront the rumor head-on rather than let it be something that causes problems. that is, if he's gay, he can either ignore the rumors or admit it, but if he's straight and he ignores the rumors, he still looks gay, and that could cause problems within the team.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

AIM: Tinkdnuos

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
ILLWILL - Chi Ali! hahaha!!!
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy
qoolquest - bob power (MWF)/jazzy jeff (TTH)*
*fulfillment of stated conditions pending

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Sun Jan-13-02 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "kordell might wanna"
In response to Reply # 2

do a michael westbrook and beat the hell out of a teammate spreading those rumors. remember what westbrook did to stephen davis, right? flattened him and bitch beat him while he was on the ground. and everybody knows westbrook is gay, but he still fights like a man. basically, it doesn't matter. being on the beat, i've been hearing this ish about kordell for years. all that matters is that he produces on the field.

inaugural member - okayplayer sports hall of fame.

what i'm digging right now:

chocolate butterfly - self-titled
laura jane - welcome to my planet boo
me & this japanese guy - waiting for the miracle
wade3 - dreams
tracey amos - who are we really?

Gemini_Two_One
Charter member
11580 posts
Sun Jan-13-02 06:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: kordell might wanna"
In response to Reply # 3

Westbrook and Garcia are gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that. Where do y'all get your info from?

!sig!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
- Albert Einstein

What shall we think of a goverment to which all the truly brave and just men in the land are enemies, standing between it and those whom it oppresses? A goverment that pretends to be Christian and crucifies a million Christ every day! - Henry David Thoreau

-------------------------------------------------------
Keep the crack raps up that shit is double plus what-ever-the-fuck.
Everybody's afraid to say that it just sucks to watch talented motherfuckers pretending they sell drugs - EL-P

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Sun Jan-13-02 07:08 PM

5. "RE: kordell might wanna"
In response to Reply # 4

i don't know about garcia. i wouldn't doubt it though. i work a sports beat and i do know that westbrook is gay. not that it matters on the field though.

wade3 - dreams

BrickMajors
Charter member
589 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 04:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: kordell might wanna"
In response to Reply # 5

Damn Michael Westbrooks is gay. I knew about the Kordell (head in schenley park rumor rumors b/c I live in Pittsburgh. You never hear anyone talkin shit about Westbrook after he beat Davis' ass. Was that asswhoopin connected to gay rumors?

"smackin' all ya'll stars and chumps, gettin cash in the largest sums, SHOOTIN' DICE IN THE CHURCH WIT NUNS, we come wit the biggest guns" Ghostface

"applying brakes and slowin' rolls"

@ the end of the day the truth of the matter is that we are running out of bullshit ideas; first they tried school zoning, then dumping money on black students (shaker heights?), giving black kids better books and facilities, none of those things worked a

DonKnutts
Charter member
27064 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 04:56 AM

8. "diff. b/w kordell & westbrook"
In response to Reply # 6

You
>never hear anyone talkin shit
>about Westbrook after he beat
>Davis' ass. Was that asswhoopin
>connected to gay rumors?

Supposedly, Davis called West-broke a "faggot" b/c of his perceived unwillingness to play through injury -- in that sense, the use of the homophobic slur was not necessarily directed at Westbroke's actual sexual preference.

In contrast, the Kordell rumors were actually about him being gay.

Now as for West-broke actually being gay... I don't know. As a Skins fan thouhg, I want him the hell off my team (though Spurrier might figure out a way to get him to play).

Ausar72
Charter member
1191 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 03:35 PM

16. "RE: diff. b/w kordell & westbrook"
In response to Reply # 8

u know kordell and westbrook went to the same college and played on the same squad -- if u know what I mean

<<<--- FREE RGIII --->>>

my thoughts,

peace.

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 04:17 PM

17. "RE: diff. b/w kordell & westbrook"
In response to Reply # 8

>Supposedly, Davis called West-broke a "faggot"
>b/c of his perceived unwillingness
>to play through injury --
>in that sense, the use
>of the homophobic slur was
>not necessarily directed at Westbroke's
>actual sexual preference.

no, davis was one of several players calling westbrook a fag not only because of his unwillingness to play thru injury, but also because he had been seen cruising several gay spots and coming out with men by teammates. that was the running inside joke on him and davis just took it too far. davis had been berrating westbrook for days with the faggot stuff and westbrook finally snapped and beat his ass. that's fact.
>
>In contrast, the Kordell rumors were
>actually about him being gay.
>
so true.

>Now as for West-broke actually being
>gay... I don't know. As
>a Skins fan thouhg, I
>want him the hell off
>my team (though Spurrier might
>figure out a way to
>get him to play).

get used to it. westbrook is actually bi. but he has more of a preference for women than men.

wade3 - dreams

Mr Mystery
Charter member
5104 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 05:48 PM

22. "RE: kordell might wanna"
In response to Reply # 5

is that why he kicked stephen davis's ass? also i know down here in north carolina there was a rumor that yancey thigpin and kordell were doing there thing together, but hey it's just a rumor.

Thought provoking records radio never played them-Dre 3000

Brothers and others outside my door want to despise me reminds me that everyone ain't cool the world is jealous never could understand when my momma use to tell us don't take your food outside around your friends unless you got enough to feed the neighborhood"-Dre 3000

Why, must we fly so low? Are we afraid of heights, do kites get lost in the tow.-Dre 3000

Don't get caught up in my chains, or the way that I speak seek intelligence...-Big Face Ghost

Woolly hair, eyes fiery red feet made of brass twelve men, following me it be the God staff.-Big Face Ghost

Now I believe in myself more than anything. And I suppose in a way that's also believing in God. If there is a God and he made you, then if you are believing in yourself you're believing in Him.-Jimi Hendrix

God is my Bodyguard!

Torn between saturday night and early sunday morn, I don't know i'm somewhere stuck in between(tween)!-Dre 3000

Iceman06
Charter member
466 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 09:44 AM

14. "RE: kordell might wanna"
In response to Reply # 3

Why are teammates fighting over gay rumors always happening in DC? We had Westbrook-Davis, and then Strickland-Murray with the Wizards, while C-Webb and Juwan were spreading herpes throughout The Area!

What you've just said is the most insanely idiotic thing I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response did you say anything resembling a rational thought. Everyone in this room is dumber for having listened to it.--The P

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 04:55 AM

7. "rumor has been around a bit"
In response to Reply # 0

a cio-worker is a pittsburgh natiove and his father was always calling him and telling him the gay kordell rumors. the rumors did start when he started playing terribly. i could care less give me good gay players anyday.

Frank: Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had -- but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
Kramer: What happened to the doll?
Frank: It was destroyed. But out of that, a new holiday was born -- a Festivus for the rest of us!

In the spirit of Festivus, I will use this sorry board to occasionally air my own grievances. As Frank put it so eloquently in that immortal "Seinfeld" episode three Festivuses ago, "I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it!" I'll spare you folks the feats of strength.

"it is now the mission of myself and a million others to not just stop at downloading music. we will continue to download en masse, but we will physically steal cds if we have to. anything to make sure the record companies go out of business. burn and sell, give away free stuff in front of record stores. anything. they've pissed millions of americans off by spitting in their face. not only will i stop contributing any money i will make sure i steal it in different ways. down with corrupt businessmen." - some genius who goes by the name of mission

"Give it up Biggie is dead, Eminem is what you have" - Paraphrasing Sarah Jones in Surface Transit

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

Mr Red
Charter member
7241 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 05:00 AM

9. "ummm"
In response to Reply # 7

Since everyone else is dropping ubsubstantiated rumors, i have a list too:

Frank Garcia
Sean Dawkins
Yancy Thigpen
Brady Anderson
Kordell-i still love the Steelers

----------------------------------------

*Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has them and they all stink.

Now lets take a moment to ponder the depth, brilliance, and emotional gravity of Mr Reds above statement.

*Try to take me for granted /ill take u off this planet - Jay-Z

Bit$%es is full of shit, thats why they eyes brown - me

*Please excuse any offensive, inaccurate, racist, or homophobic statements/and or behavior from the above poster. He is on heroin.

This post is for the children.

------------------------------
Now lets take a moment to ponder the depth, brilliance, and emotional gravity of Mr Reds above statement.

BrickMajors
Charter member
589 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 07:51 AM

11. "RE: ummm"
In response to Reply # 9

>
>Since everyone else is dropping ubsubstantiated
>rumors, i have a list
>too:
>
>Frank Garcia
>Sean Dawkins
>Yancy Thigpen
>Brady Anderson
>Kordell-i still love the Steelers
>
Take Yancy off the list. He's know for fuckin jawns in the burgh sometimes young jawns but jawns nonetheless. I've heard some corny ass stories about Yancy's exploits from reliable sources.
>
>This post is for the children.
>

"smackin' all ya'll stars and chumps, gettin cash in the largest sums, SHOOTIN' DICE IN THE CHURCH WIT NUNS, we come wit the biggest guns" Ghostface

"applying brakes and slowin' rolls"

@ the end of the day the truth of the matter is that we are running out of bullshit ideas; first they tried school zoning, then dumping money on black students (shaker heights?), giving black kids better books and facilities, none of those things worked a

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 04:20 PM

18. "RE: ummm"
In response to Reply # 11

>Take Yancy off the list. He's
>know for fuckin jawns in
>the burgh sometimes young jawns
>but jawns nonetheless. I've heard
>some corny ass stories about
>Yancy's exploits from reliable sources.

so true. i hit the parties he throws in the raleigh/durham area. yancey's always got a barely legal chick with him. the brothas hetero but he loves 'em young.

wade3 - dreams

bluesky
Charter member
58 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 09:04 AM

12. "RE: ummm"
In response to Reply # 9

Funny how no one is talking that "gay" shit now that he is winning...........what difference does it make anyway? Folks need to stop giving Kordell a hard time, that kid is doing his thing!!!

Kwamology

Mon Jan-14-02 10:20 AM

15. "Thigpen"
In response to Reply # 9

if he's into men, then he's bi-sexual. Cause he used to tap into a female friend of mine.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 06:39 AM

10. "Read ESPN The Mag article"
In response to Reply # 0

It squashes all the rumors about Kordell and tells you how the rumors started.

________________________________________________________________________________

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed
thousands more.
- Harriet Tubman

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DemOne
Charter member
859 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 09:36 AM

13. "RE: Kordell Stewart/Gay Rumors"
In response to Reply # 0

Here in Niner country Garcia gay rumors abound but a freind of the Garcia family told me he has spotted him with hot chicks on more than one occasion so who knows

Bohemian_Bomb
Charter member
2410 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 04:25 PM

19. "RE: Kordell Stewart/Gay Rumors"
In response to Reply # 13

Yeah, as much as I joke about Garcia being gay, word around the Bay Area is that he and TO and a few other single guys tear it up with the women when they're in town.

Bohemian_Bomb
AIM: theedge413

"You're only afraid to die when you ain't livin right" - Talib Kweli

Zeno
Charter member
25623 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 05:12 PM

20. "Thank you"
In response to Reply # 19

Just because a football player doesn't have a reverberating baritone voice and isn't massive doesn't mean he's gay. Everyone thought Steve Young was gay for a while, and it just turned out he was the world's oldest unmarried Mormon. And as if Garcia rejected 30 other teams just so he could play in the alleged gay capital of the planet. Garcia would've played for anyone, as long as they were in an "FL" that did not begin with the letter C.

Z

OkayYoungin Representin'!

"Blindfolds can't cover three eyes,
We're wise to the fact so we attack with what we know
Heaven is the only good life" --Andre Benjamin

"I always exhale the facts cause I don't inhale lye" -- Dave Jolicoeur

"...Or do you really think Bin Laden hurt his arm? He got checked on the ice in Al Queda Hockey. A goalie broke his arm. Didnt like the way Bin Laden spoke to him."--OKP jefleejohnson

Getting Play:
The Rentals - Seven More Minutes
Jay-Z - Unplugged
Nas - Stillmatic
The Movielife - This Time Next Year
De La Soul - Art Official Intelligence: Bionix
The Suicide Machines - Steal This Record

Over 10 Years of Measured Responses

DonKnutts
Charter member
27064 posts
Mon Jan-14-02 05:42 PM

21. "HBO special"
In response to Reply # 20

"Playing the Field: Sports/Sex In America" -- I'm watching it right now. Exactly what we're discussing in this post. Very very interesting.

Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #13213 Previous topic | Next topic