Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectKordell Stewart/Gay Rumors
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=13213&mesg_id=13213
13213, Kordell Stewart/Gay Rumors
Posted by DonKnutts, Sun Jan-13-02 05:11 PM
Methinks Kordell doth protest too much.

Excerpted from an article from this week's SI:

"Stewart's sensitivity and his low profile off the field made him seem distant to teammates during his difficult periods.
Moreover, some Steelers admit they were fazed by rumors that Stewart was gay, until he called a meeting before the 1999 season and issued a denial that included graphic descriptions of heterosexual acts he enjoys. 'I could see the humor in the situation,' Stewart says, 'so I decided to have some fun with it. At one point I said, "You'd better not leave your girlfriends around me, because I'm out to prove a point." A couple of guys said, "F'ck you, Kordell," and we all cracked up.'"

If anything, the team meeting described in the article wouldn't dispel the gay rumors, but make them seem more real. The whole situation seems forced and pathetic -- not funny as Kordell claims.

What's really interesting is the whole homophobic culture of athletics -- the fact a player has to stand before the team to prove his (supposed) heterosexuality.

The days of an un-closeted gay NFL player -- esp. a QB -- are far, far away.