Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #288619

Subject: "Surface Pro 2" Previous topic | Next topic
Ted Gee Seal
Member since Apr 18th 2007
10091 posts
Thu Jan-16-14 06:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Surface Pro 2"

Really enjoying the user experience. It has just about everything I'd want in a tablet/laptop. The digitizer is what pushes it over the top in terms of usability for me. People talk about why you'd choose this over a MacBook Air, well, a MacBook Air can't function as a tablet with an active digitizer. Other tablets don't pack the digitizer in combination with this much computing power.

Bought the type cover 2, pretty happy with that as well. I've read a few complaints about the touchpad but I don't really use the touchpad anymore. The digitizer or finger can step in for most common functions well enough. When I have used it I haven't had any complaints.

The handwriting recognition is pretty fantastic, as long as you don't mix numbers with letters too much. I was showing it to Mrs Seal and the Surface was recognising my handwriting better than she was.

They failed the first generation with the abysmal battery life, but I think they're onto something that's worth supporting. This is about as versatile as it gets right now IMO.

Having gone through the reviews for this and also watching the reviews of 'phablets' since the first Galaxy Note, it's dawned on me how ineffective a lot of review sites are out there.

I don't need to sit through a mini editorial in a review about how this doesn't work as a laptop or tablet (duh, it's neither) or a phablet is too big and you'll look ridiculous using it (I'm not thinking about how people perceive me when I'm making a phone call, thanks, and your inability to handle a phone doesn't mean I'm as inept).

I mean, all this talk about how the Surface doesn't work in your lap speaks more to the inability of reviewers to adapt to new technology than a flaw in the design. In making a decision about what's right for me an my needs, rather than the tastes of the reviewer, Amazon reviews are just as, if not more, helpful than the likes of The Verge (although sites like gsmarena and notebookcheck can be very thorough and helpful).

Anyway, if you've been curious about how this works in real life, feel free to ask any questions.

Just IMO though.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Surface Pro 2 [View all] , Ted Gee Seal, Thu Jan-16-14 06:05 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
any problems with heavy duty productivity work?
Jan 17th 2014
I've not done anything hugely intensive so far
Jan 17th 2014
      cool, Thanks!
Jan 23rd 2014
It's pretty much the perfect device that nobody knows about
Jan 17th 2014
The lukewarm receiption from many reviewers just isn't justified IMO
Jan 18th 2014
All the surfaces are thousands of times > iPAD
Apr 04th 2014
I just copped the RT 2 (or whatever the low-end one is), I'm loving it
Apr 05th 2014
      simple
Apr 05th 2014
           So basically, people above 25 with jobs should get Surfaces
Apr 06th 2014
                Ehh, the argument for apps is pretty strong though.
Apr 07th 2014
                honestly -- name one specific app that I'm missing out on
Apr 08th 2014
                apps?lol...SP2 allows you to use PROGRAMS..FULL programs
Apr 08th 2014
                literally everything you mentioned is available on ios...
Apr 09th 2014
                     I OWN an iPAD dog...have owned SEVERAL.
Apr 09th 2014
                          Tell that to the hundreds of millions of people using them for productiv...
Apr 09th 2014
                               Productivity = watching 'House of Cards' in bed on Netflix
Apr 09th 2014
                                    WAT
Apr 09th 2014
                                         LMMFAO!! This nigga legit just posted links to Apple.com
Apr 09th 2014
                                              .... STOP AND TAKE THE L.
Apr 09th 2014
                                                   Nigga...I have owned THREE iPADs. I am an expert, NOT YOU.
Apr 10th 2014
                Again: If you're 17 years old, yes.
Apr 08th 2014
                     *ahem*
Apr 08th 2014
                guess it depends on your profession
Apr 08th 2014
                     No, grownups like to be able to do actual work on a tablet
Apr 09th 2014
                          Suraface keyboard just didn't work for me
Apr 09th 2014
                               Better than the trash ass thrid party iPAD ones
Apr 10th 2014
                               Psst....the Surface Pro isn't a tablet...it's a full PC in tablet format...
Apr 10th 2014

Lobby High-Tech topic #288619 Previous topic | Next topic