Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2803728

Subject: "MLB's 2024 Hall of Fame Class" Previous topic | Next topic
JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3307 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 06:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MLB's 2024 Hall of Fame Class"

Adrián Beltré
Joe Mauer
Todd Helton

https://www.mlb.com/news/2024-baseball-hall-of-fame-election-results

Billy Wagner falls 5 votes short.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Mauer.
Jan 23rd 2024
MAUER!
Jan 27th 2024
I didn't think much of Wags candidacy at first
Jan 25th 2024
MLB HOF is becoming a joke
Jan 28th 2024

Walleye
Charter member
15543 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 08:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Mauer."
In response to Reply # 0

nm

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27157 posts
Sat Jan-27-24 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "MAUER!"
In response to Reply # 1

Jay Jaffe summed up Mauer's election nicely:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-candidate-by-candidate-look-at-the-2024-hall-of-fame-election-results/

Though he made it by a mere four votes, Mauer did become just the third catcher to be elected by the writers on the first ballot, after Johnny Bench (1989) and Ivan Rodriguez (2017, by just four votes as well). You know what they call guys who do that?

Hall of Famers.

I get that Mauer’s credentials, for as strong as they were, were hardly perfect given that he caught just 921 games and spent the last five years of his career as a more-or-less league average first baseman. I get that Mauer’s Twins went 0-and-10 in the postseason while he slashed a meager .275/.341/.300. He still had a long enough stretch where he absolutely kicked ass as a catcher like few in the game’s history — he’s the only backstop to win a slash-stat Triple Crown, the only one to win three batting titles, and one of two to lead the league in on-base percentage twice. He’s seventh in JAWS and fifth in seven-year peak (all from his years as a catcher). That’s worthy of Cooperstown, and I’m glad he won’t clog the ballot with a few years of drawing 60-some percent before getting in.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

will_5198
Charter member
63209 posts
Thu Jan-25-24 12:31 AM

2. "I didn't think much of Wags candidacy at first"
In response to Reply # 0

but he should probably be in next year

--------

The Real
Charter member
14044 posts
Sun Jan-28-24 08:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "MLB HOF is becoming a joke"
In response to Reply # 0

How can Sheffield not get in? I heard someone say it's because of his ties to Bonds and his name was in the Mitchell report. FOH, Bagwell and Biggio got in and there was smoke around him and the Astros all those years.

If you don't want to put a dude like Sam Sosa in, I get it. But Bonds was a HOFer prior to the PED error, Clemens too

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2803728 Previous topic | Next topic