Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2711777

Subject: "Passan: Mookie Betts/David Price to the Dodgers" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Tue Feb-04-20 09:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Passan: Mookie Betts/David Price to the Dodgers"

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1224877820406648835

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Possible third team...
Feb 04th 2020
Waiting for the details is killing me
Feb 04th 2020
So far....
Feb 04th 2020
Holy shit...Joc Pederson to the Angels...
Feb 04th 2020
Twins sticking their nose in this
Feb 05th 2020
Done and the fact Sox cannot afford him is laughable
Feb 05th 2020
The Sox owners suck man
Feb 05th 2020
is the luxury tax backfiring?
Feb 05th 2020
Just business, man. Just business.
Feb 06th 2020
RE: The Sox owners suck man
Feb 06th 2020
      They've definitely upgraded the stadium since taking over
Feb 06th 2020
           RE: They've definitely upgraded the stadium since taking over
Feb 06th 2020
Going to be wild when LA wins 120 games and loses in the playoffs
Feb 05th 2020
Astros fault
Feb 06th 2020
absolutely cannot wait
Feb 06th 2020
      the Dodgers will continue to do things the right way...
Feb 06th 2020
           Astros aint goin nowhere either player.
Feb 07th 2020
Great so Mookie is a relief pitcher now?
Feb 07th 2020

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Tue Feb-04-20 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Possible third team..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1224878368216297472

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Tue Feb-04-20 09:43 PM

2. "Waiting for the details is killing me"
In response to Reply # 0

But I’m cautiously elated.

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Tue Feb-04-20 09:50 PM

3. "So far...."
In response to Reply # 0

Dodgers get Price and Betts
Sox get Alex Verdugo and a prospect pitcher from Minny
Minny gets Kenta Maeda

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Tue Feb-04-20 09:54 PM

4. "Holy shit...Joc Pederson to the Angels..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-04-20 09:54 PM by Dstl1

for Luis Rengifo

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1224888007809019904

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed Feb-05-20 09:29 AM

5. "Twins sticking their nose in this"
In response to Reply # 0

They actually have the money, I'd have maybe preferred them acting as primary and doing - say Larnach and Graterol for Betts/Price - but I think I'm happy with Maeda. He's basically a strong #3, which means he's joining a rotation (Odorizzi, Berrios, Hill and Pineda eventually) full of those. That's proven to be a decent way to make the playoffs, but I think a big, mean ace is pretty necessary. Since they're not just giving those away, a deep rotation of guys who aren't too shabby looks like the best play - which actually sort of matches the lineup aesthetic.

I'm a bit concerned about his homer rate, which I doubt will improve in the AL. And his low innings totals, which MLBTR said maaaaaaaaay be the result of the Dodgers fucking with his load to avoid some contract incentives. But he's a good get.

I loved Brusdar Graterol though. The homers have been the funnest thing about the new Twins, but a close second is the advent of FASTBALLS from the farm system. Graterol was one of the surest signs of the death of the Brad Radke Clone Army, and on a sheer enjoyment level, I was really looking forward to shouting BRUSDAR! when he entered games. Though on that note, I'm guessing the reason he's available for a trade like this (since his stuff is definitely MLB-ready) is that the Twins don't think he's going to stick in the rotation. I sort of always expected that. We sort of pretended it was a real possibility, but guys built like him, guys who don't *really* have a third pitch, and who can top 100mph pretty often aren't really rotation pieces. Godspeed, Brusdar. I will miss shouting your unusual name.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Wed Feb-05-20 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Done and the fact Sox cannot afford him is laughable"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Feb-05-20 06:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "The Sox owners suck man"
In response to Reply # 0

their run as owners has been wildly successful in spite of their many fuck-ups.

Their relationship with Theo Epstein was all over the place. Tough to read into it too much, but there was definitely something fishy there. This is ancient history now, but Theo threatened to leave baseball all together because of Larry Lucchino's shenanigans.

Then there was smearing Terry Francona as a pill addict on his way out the door. Never trusted them after that. The dude broke the curse for us and got another trophy on top of that. Even if it was time to part ways you should still be treating him like a saint for eternity.

Then there was randomly firing announcer Don Orsillo, probably just cause Jerry Remy never liked him. Jerry was the one they should've gotten rid of. He's a miserable fuck and no one likes him, but he's a former Sox player so he gets his way I guess.

Then, just months after winning a title in 2018, they decide cutting payroll is the most important thing in the world for some reason, so they fire the GM that helped build that title team. Unfuckingbelievable. We're not the Marlins, we have loads of cash on hand. Fucking use it!

Keep in mind this is a team that charges you an arm and a leg just to get into the stadium and cram into seats that point the wrong way and are designed for 1912-sized people. Then they charge another arm and a leg if you want to enjoy a hot dog and a 12 oz beer (If I'm paying more than $10 give me a tall boy or gtfo).

The stadium is classic and I still recommend it to every baseball fan, but after visiting a third of the stadiums in the league there are much better fan experiences out there and they cost a portion of the money you'd spend at Fenway. If you're bringing your family you have to say good bye to a whole goddamn paycheck, but they can't pony up to keep the best player they've drafted in years. Disgusting.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Wed Feb-05-20 09:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "is the luxury tax backfiring?"
In response to Reply # 7

doesn't seem like it's had a huge impact on parity, and the haves will always do better than the have-nots.

and now it feels like a built-in excuse for rich organizations to milk profits. whether the Nats wanted to keep Rendon or not, they can win the World Series, let him walk, then cite "luxury tax penalties".

--------

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 08:40 AM

10. "Just business, man. Just business."
In response to Reply # 7

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 09:22 AM

12. "RE: The Sox owners suck man"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah. Agreed. Classicism can only go so far when it comes to experience, especially when prices are being increased. Fans are definitely being shafted. Players get traded in baseball. That’s the business more than any other sport, because there are so many intricacies to each position.

But when owners have no intentions on creating a better fan experience, or keeping the stadiums up to date, well, that’s just pure robbery.

Fans really need to start divesting or boycotting in these situations. Just don’t go to the stadium and I guarantee you will see an immediate change.

The cubs have a 1914 stadium, but they knew they had to renovate to make the stadium more modern, and to create a better fan experience. They knocked that out with the quickness, and there are more changes to come.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 07:50 PM

15. "They've definitely upgraded the stadium since taking over"
In response to Reply # 12

especially the concourse. It has made for a better and more family-friendly fan experience, but the 2 things I mentioned (prices and small seats*) are an absolute killer. The prices almost completely negate the family-friendly thing.

*even my Mom is uncomfortable in those seats and she's like 5'3" and less than 100 pounds

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 08:53 PM

16. "RE: They've definitely upgraded the stadium since taking over"
In response to Reply # 15

Cool. I was going off your statement about the seats being old, and built for people from 1912.

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Wed Feb-05-20 08:26 PM

8. "Going to be wild when LA wins 120 games and loses in the playoffs"
In response to Reply # 0

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 09:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Astros fault"
In response to Reply # 8

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 04:42 PM

13. "absolutely cannot wait"
In response to Reply # 8

for how mad LA fans have been since the Astros story broke, they now have their annual off-season hopes up.

P.S.

Fuck The Dodgers.

-----------------------------------------

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 04:55 PM

14. "the Dodgers will continue to do things the right way..."
In response to Reply # 13

and will eventually break through. Organization is loaded from top to bottom and has been for almost a decade. Ain’t going away anytime soon.

Flash in the pan cheating franchises will fade back into irrelevance, with a fat ass asterisk disgracing their one fluke accomplishment for the rest of time.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri Feb-07-20 02:08 AM

18. "Astros aint goin nowhere either player."
In response to Reply # 14

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri Feb-07-20 01:34 AM

17. "Great so Mookie is a relief pitcher now? "
In response to Reply # 0

because thats what we need. How many division titles do we have to win before we can trade up for a World Series trophy?

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2711777 Previous topic | Next topic