Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTwins sticking their nose in this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2711777&mesg_id=2711795
2711795, Twins sticking their nose in this
Posted by Walleye, Wed Feb-05-20 09:29 AM
They actually have the money, I'd have maybe preferred them acting as primary and doing - say Larnach and Graterol for Betts/Price - but I think I'm happy with Maeda. He's basically a strong #3, which means he's joining a rotation (Odorizzi, Berrios, Hill and Pineda eventually) full of those. That's proven to be a decent way to make the playoffs, but I think a big, mean ace is pretty necessary. Since they're not just giving those away, a deep rotation of guys who aren't too shabby looks like the best play - which actually sort of matches the lineup aesthetic.

I'm a bit concerned about his homer rate, which I doubt will improve in the AL. And his low innings totals, which MLBTR said maaaaaaaaay be the result of the Dodgers fucking with his load to avoid some contract incentives. But he's a good get.

I loved Brusdar Graterol though. The homers have been the funnest thing about the new Twins, but a close second is the advent of FASTBALLS from the farm system. Graterol was one of the surest signs of the death of the Brad Radke Clone Army, and on a sheer enjoyment level, I was really looking forward to shouting BRUSDAR! when he entered games. Though on that note, I'm guessing the reason he's available for a trade like this (since his stuff is definitely MLB-ready) is that the Twins don't think he's going to stick in the rotation. I sort of always expected that. We sort of pretended it was a real possibility, but guys built like him, guys who don't *really* have a third pitch, and who can top 100mph pretty often aren't really rotation pieces. Godspeed, Brusdar. I will miss shouting your unusual name.