Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2072929

Subject: "Realizing The Sixers Got Fucked In The Trade By Thanksgiving Of Year One" Previous topic | Next topic
Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 07:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Realizing The Sixers Got Fucked In The Trade By Thanksgiving Of Year One"

gotta say I didn't see that coming this quickly but it's here & now it's only by 'degrees' of failure (luckily there's not much chance it approaches the Katz Era Triple Crown Of Disaster but we're still looking pretty well-fucked anyway).

ed. note: *yes, this is a 'get a blog, Bomb' post so you can stop here if you ain't got the stomach for that.*

It's not even the main principal from our side-Iggy-we had to cut bait on his deal & move on but just the fact that this 2nd-Best-C/Our-Best-Big-Man-Since-Moses is never going to really play meaningful minutes this season, meanwhile the young Russian C from USC we traded is suddenly turning out double-doubles routinely in Orlando while we dealt our first-rounder in Harkless (who they presumably only drafted because they knew they were trading Iggy) plus burned a future-first to the Heat to pick Moultrie (with Perry Jones seeming like the logical pick there) all adds up if we're no closer to knowing anything about Andrew Bynum's ability to anchor a team this calendar year. Luckily the Heat first we gave is lotto-protected for the next couple years but damn.

That along with the disheartening realization that it likely wasn't Iggy hindering his minutes or progress at this point, Duck Sauce might just really suck & as a #2 overall first-round pick represent a third time that exact slot has blown up in our face since Shawn Bradley-over-Penny in '93.

This has gone way worse than the worst-case-scenario for this offseason's activity could have gone, this dude Drew waited Shaq-style until just before camp to go the Germany to get that ARod/Kobe German Engineering Blood-Doping Procedure done but apparently he went to one of Dr. Mengele's descendants instead because he didn't have an injury before he got there playing every game of a condensed season & now he's gonna be out all season with two bad knees after going back for a second-helping on that procedure.

The fact that Dwight had back surgery & played Opening Night while Bynum makes news only by how crazy he looks on the sideline or what made up date for his return (now next to no hope before the AS Break) team spokespeople will guess next, only makes it more pronounced.

Making matters worse on a day-to-day personal level is the fact that my CFO at the office pulls up to work everyday in a tricked out BMW on 22's that he actually bought used with less than 10K miles on it from Andrew Bynum himself this past spring for basically 10 cents on the dollar since AB was out of room on the lot & there was some kind of tax regulation with the amount of cars he owns.

This man can't stop smiling as he talks about not having to worry about Drew anymore & regaling me with tales from the car guy they share in common who says Drew openly/repeatedly tells him he doesn't enjoy playing basketball.

Mind you my CFO's telling me this while trolling me about Lebron coming out to play with Dwight in '14 after Kobe retires with two more & while I don't believe any of that shit is going to happen I can't pretend any of it is completely out of the realm of possibilities (like say, a Sixer title this season would be).

In the early evening if I'm in my office later than him (which I usually am, including the three times he bounced early with last-minute free tickets to the Laker games this week) as he starts the car & begins to pull out of the garage below with that whip's jet-engine-sounding ignition I can feel it lightly vibrating the floor of my office up to my feet.

It's the only car downstairs that does that (AB sounds like he paid extra for an engine from Boeing up the street) & it serves as a dread-filled reminder that the version of 'Socks' the Sixers acquired is going to metaphorically resemble a crusty cumrag in 2012-13, one under the bed which probably won't get washed or be usable as anything else until they fall into another city's hands.

Sixer Fans don't try to debate it or think I'm jumping to a conclusion you don't already see too.

We. Are. Fucked.

More than just that we're fucked without even getting to see 'a fucking peep'(c)Chris Rock of how this might have gone (tho obviously it's hard to think Bynum would have been ready to make 'The Leap' to be a truly elite player this year even if was healthy based on the evidence we have).

This fall/winter coulda been the perfect time for the city to be back fully on board with this basketball team too with the Eagle season being over by late October & the Flyers season on its way to being cancelled.

Instead we're gonna be watching Jrue bust his ass & Collins coach this team to somewhere above the level of their talent only to late in the year be wondering to ourselves whether it makes more sense to win or hope to tank to keep our first-rounder next offseason.

Bundle Up Bitches, Philly's Long Cold Sporting Winter has already begun & it's about to get 'bitterly, bitterly cold'(c)Frank-B-from-EPMD-Too-Much-To-Drink

Transmitting A Foreboding Forecast Live From Planet Lovetron,

World B. DNP

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We still gotta deal though?
Nov 17th 2012
nevermind, just found it, since it wasn't money it sorta slipped my mind
Nov 17th 2012
      I think you are overreacting though...its a marathon brother
Nov 17th 2012
      can't run a marathon real well on one leg
Nov 17th 2012
      PLEASE don't tell me you made a bet with this dude....
Nov 17th 2012
           lol
Nov 17th 2012
           haha, I tried my best to but he didn't wanna bet money, I had completely
Nov 17th 2012
           btw you in trouble vis a vis our bet lol
Nov 17th 2012
                at least I got a game in hand. oh, wait, you meant the NBA one
Nov 17th 2012
           Again?
Nov 17th 2012
they already spinning it as "well worst case money comes off the books"
Nov 17th 2012
that was always the case, I mean lest we forget we traded for Odom
Nov 17th 2012
i want to clown, but i actually like bynum and wanted to see him do well...
Nov 17th 2012
I was saying last year dude was moving around like he was 10 years older...
Nov 17th 2012
he played every game tho in a compressed season, seemed like
Nov 17th 2012
yeah but he stayed in the lineup plus sometimes things improve
Nov 17th 2012
one-state solution
Nov 17th 2012
your doomsday scenario aside, have you watched them play?
Nov 17th 2012
yes, four full games thus far, they're not very talented at all
Nov 17th 2012
I didn't need the Bynum trade to know Jrue is our best player
Nov 17th 2012
      RE: I didn't need the Bynum trade to know Jrue is our best player
Nov 17th 2012
           how?!?
Nov 17th 2012
                yes, how was my question, how are they improved sans Bynum?
Nov 17th 2012
                     we have shooters
Nov 17th 2012
                          stop saying add Bynum, you said without they're still better
Nov 17th 2012
you can't be serious.
Nov 17th 2012
yes, I'm serious
Nov 18th 2012
RE: your doomsday scenario aside, have you watched them play?
Nov 18th 2012
      yes, I do think they've improved even without Bynum
Nov 18th 2012
           what the fuck does RECORD matter right now???
Nov 19th 2012
                what metric works for you?
Nov 19th 2012
                     there are some individual guys playing better and some signs ...
Nov 21st 2012
                          we'll find out Saturday. the knock last year was that they weren't
Nov 21st 2012
sixers need to start over HOARD
Nov 17th 2012
Been there done that and our reward? Evan Turner
Nov 17th 2012
the trade was the new owners addressing a NEED
Nov 17th 2012
that has been the truth for a long time, i would say since 2005
Nov 17th 2012
I said at the time it was a big risk/unclear if we'd improve
Nov 17th 2012
RE: I said at the time it was a big risk/unclear if we'd improve
Nov 17th 2012
      RE: I said at the time it was a big risk/unclear if we'd improve
Nov 19th 2012
Not having to worry about this dude and his injuries/mindset anymore...
Nov 17th 2012
2 ways to look at it...
Nov 17th 2012
damn, theyre not even 10 games into the season. calm the fuck down.
Nov 17th 2012
I don't care, they're gonna be 40 games in before the dude
Nov 17th 2012
If they can be .500 which i doubt because theyre better than that
Nov 17th 2012
      no, they're really not better than that & he also ain't coming back
Nov 17th 2012
cosign
Nov 18th 2012
Bynum Hurt While Bowling:
Nov 17th 2012
this sorry motherfucka...
Nov 17th 2012
I don't always bowl, but when i do, i bowl until my knees hurt!!!
Nov 17th 2012
LOL
Nov 18th 2012
RE: Bynum Hurt While Bowling:
Nov 18th 2012
accentuate the positive
Nov 18th 2012
oh I wasn't looking for a title this year even in best case scenario
Nov 18th 2012
bowling alley releases footage of bynum injury
Nov 19th 2012
LOL
Nov 19th 2012
lmfao thats fucked up.
Nov 21st 2012
Not really breaking news but:
Nov 21st 2012
Why is that dr breaking confidentiality all casually like that though?
Nov 21st 2012
      confidentiality of what? he's not involved/just speculating
Nov 21st 2012
           So all this is off some random doctors opinion?
Nov 21st 2012
                pretty much
Nov 21st 2012
Iggy a very good player obvi, but risk was worth it imo, Orlando tho
Nov 21st 2012
RE: Realizing The Sixers Got Fucked In The Trade By Thanksgiving Of Year...
Nov 21st 2012
*Pours Out A Full Red Bell Brewery 22-Ounce For This One*
Mar 09th 2013
put this bum in a slingshot powerful enuff to exit earth's atmosphere
Mar 19th 2013
still don't hate getting bynum or getting rid of iggy
Mar 19th 2013
they've snagged three wins in the last week.
Mar 19th 2013
I do not care about Iggy at all, I'd rather still have Vuce than Iggy
Mar 19th 2013
      Why would they fire Collins?
Mar 19th 2013
           why *wouldn't they* fire his ass? He's old, we sorry, he's already
Mar 19th 2013
                it's fine with me, but i have no confidence that they will
Mar 22nd 2013
All facts.
Mar 22nd 2013
*muttley laugh*
Apr 30th 2013
i LOVE this dude
Apr 30th 2013
LMAO
Apr 30th 2013
hopefully he's staying for the Running of the Bulls this summer
Apr 30th 2013

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 07:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We still gotta deal though?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 07:26 AM

2. "nevermind, just found it, since it wasn't money it sorta slipped my mind"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Nov-17-12 07:27 AM by Bombastic

but yeah, I'd imagine you'll be winning that one come spring.

realityrap
8405 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 07:40 AM

3. "I think you are overreacting though...its a marathon brother "
In response to Reply # 2

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 08:09 AM

5. "can't run a marathon real well on one leg"
In response to Reply # 3

>

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:13 AM

8. "PLEASE don't tell me you made a bet with this dude...."
In response to Reply # 2

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:16 AM

9. "lol"
In response to Reply # 8

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:35 AM

10. "haha, I tried my best to but he didn't wanna bet money, I had completely"
In response to Reply # 8

forgotten that whole thing but now it makes more sense.

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:49 AM

12. "btw you in trouble vis a vis our bet lol"
In response to Reply # 10

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:54 AM

13. "at least I got a game in hand. oh, wait, you meant the NBA one"
In response to Reply # 12

realityrap
8405 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 04:46 PM

31. "Again? "
In response to Reply # 8

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 07:42 AM

4. "they already spinning it as "well worst case money comes off the books""
In response to Reply # 0

as if anyone is signing with the sixers
they need to just tank and try to get shabazz or something

~~~~~~

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 08:18 AM

6. "that was always the case, I mean lest we forget we traded for Odom"
In response to Reply # 4

just to have an expiring deal rather than Iggy summer 2011 but he threatened to retire so it got squashed.

So Bynum-for-Iggy with a chance to see if he was going to give us a building block center was a no-brainer.

Only problem is in doing so they traded out a couple young cheap pieces with upside & now aren't even getting to see what they look like with Bynum before we're going to be stuck in a decision of having to either offer that dude the *full max* with the extra year off a couple late weeks of meaningless games (a la Baggins) or let him walk to a place he actually wants to go that will risk giving him a near-max deal anyway.

So in the end that would make it a year in limbo, a young cheap center, Harkless & a future first-rounder for the rights to trade Iggy's contract.

That's awful. Maybe not 'Mo Malone for 4 Games of Jeff Ruland', 'Brad Daugherty for Roy Hinson' or 'Barkley for Hornacek-turned-Jeff-Malone's-retirement, Tim Perry & Andrew Lang' but pretty damn horrible.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 08:41 AM

7. "i want to clown, but i actually like bynum and wanted to see him do well..."
In response to Reply # 0

I realize I have no ill feeling toward the actual sixers and I liked iggy too.

Oh well, at least you got knicks hate to keep you warm this winter.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:38 AM

11. "I was saying last year dude was moving around like he was 10 years older..."
In response to Reply # 0

than he actually is, bad knees aren't he type of thing that get better with age

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 12:15 PM

14. "he played every game tho in a compressed season, seemed like"
In response to Reply # 11

would at least be able to run up the court once in practice.

I hear what you're saying to a degree but he was never really that fast or an athletic marvel, as a kid out of high school he was a bit more explosive but that's to be expected.

But he generally got by on his size, having good instincts & being skilled around the basket on offense.

Bottom line tho is I doubt dude takes care of himself very well.

I was hoping maybe some of that 'fuck you' attitude he has at times displayed would make him want to put it in the Lakers' face for trading him & that his next payday would add further motivation.

But I'm realizing I probably mistook immaturity for competitiveness & not caring for unflappability.

Desperation must have temporarily deluded me, I've followed 'Bank In Every City' guy enough to have known better.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 02:35 PM

21. "yeah but he stayed in the lineup plus sometimes things improve"
In response to Reply # 11

look at guys like smits and ilgauskas, had second winds after chronic injuries. their problems were more foot/ankle related, but it's all connected at that size/level.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

soundsop
Charter member
12988 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 12:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "one-state solution"
In response to Reply # 0

>Mind you my CFO's telling me this while trolling me about
>Lebron coming out to play with Dwight in '14 after Kobe
>retires with two more

>This man can't stop smiling as he talks about not having to
>worry about Drew anymore

this guy speaks for all lakers fans. praise d-wight jesus

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 01:05 PM

16. "your doomsday scenario aside, have you watched them play?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jrue is stepping up

and I'm liking what I'm seeing from ET

he just needs to be consistent with it

which will come with continued minutes

he'll be grabbing boards nonetheless

and Hawes looks healthy

if we take a logical approach, which I think you gave an attempt with some of closing lines

and then factor in Bynum giving us SOMETHING in the 2nd half and playoffs

I don't see the need for this post now

as you said

Iggy leaving gave the opportunity to guys that have been waiting

and they look like they're up to challenge

this is basketball, not football

it's a long season

leave that panic shit for the LAL

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 02:52 PM

23. "yes, four full games thus far, they're not very talented at all"
In response to Reply # 16

and you talking about playoffs & Bynum's contribution is missing my point, this Bynum shit ain't happening & their eggs for this season are in that basket.

I didn't go into this season thinking this team was capable of doing damage in the postseason, I went in wanting to see if we have a real building block moving forward in Bynum & then who was worth keeping from there.

Jrue is the only dude on the team who might be Top 10 at his position.

bentagain
16595 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 03:21 PM

26. "I didn't need the Bynum trade to know Jrue is our best player"
In response to Reply # 23

and I believe the piece to build around

which is what I thought they were trying to do with the Bynum trade

at the end of the day

even without Bynum

I think this is am improved team from last year

for whatever that's worth

we went into the playoffs as an 8th seed I think

a 5-4 start for a team returning what 5 players from last year isn't the epic fail you're making it out to be

I'm gonna stick with my best case scenario

Jrue, ET and Thad gain more experience and confidence in their new roles

and hopefully develop some consistency

and Bynum can make some sort of contribution for the 2nd half and into the playoffs

I doubt dude is gonna take a DNP for the year (by choice that is, there is a chance he is legitimately hurt though which just gets the Kanye shrug)

with an expiring contract

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 03:25 PM

27. "RE: I didn't need the Bynum trade to know Jrue is our best player"
In response to Reply # 26

>and I believe the piece to build around
>
no. Bynum at an optimal level is a piece to build around.

Jrue is a borderline Top 10 PG & if he's your best player you have no chance of winning anything that matters.

>which is what I thought they were trying to do with the Bynum
>trade
>
>at the end of the day
>
>even without Bynum
>
>I think this is am improved team from last year
>
how?!?

>for whatever that's worth
>
>we went into the playoffs as an 8th seed I think
>
>a 5-4 start for a team returning what 5 players from last year
>isn't the epic fail you're making it out to be
>
>I'm gonna stick with my best case scenario
>
>Jrue, ET and Thad gain more experience and confidence in their
>new roles
>
>and hopefully develop some consistency
>
>and Bynum can make some sort of contribution for the 2nd half
>and into the playoffs
>
>I doubt dude is gonna take a DNP for the year (by choice that
>is, there is a chance he is legitimately hurt though which
>just gets the Kanye shrug)
>
>with an expiring contract
>
nah, he'll come back at the end of the year to show he can move, then someone will pay him.
>.

bentagain
16595 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 04:09 PM

28. "how?!?"
In response to Reply # 27

the 6ers as previously constructed were Iggy's team

and I think Jrue was hesitant to take the majority of the FGAs

and was more comfortable deferring

this year he seems to be alot more comfortable being the guy

in his 3rd? year

and I think the ownership showed their confidence in his ability

by shipping Iggy (who can't shoot)

and surrounding Jrue with a bunch of spot up shooters (in contrast to Lou holding the ball and jacking shots, which wasn't conducive to them being on floor at the same time)

I don't think it's an eggs in one basket with Bynum

I think they tried to address a NEED

with the alternative being keep Iggy and go into this season with last year's roster

I'm fine with the moves that have been made as is

if Bynum gets on the floor or not isn't the end of the world for me

Jrue, ET, Thad, LA, and Hawes are really good core

add the spot up shooters and it's an improvement from last year

add Bynum at any level or point in the season

and we can make a run

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 04:13 PM

29. "yes, how was my question, how are they improved sans Bynum?"
In response to Reply # 28

I didn't say anything about wanting to keep Iggy.

How are they better with no Bynum than last year's team?

bentagain
16595 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 04:27 PM

30. "we have shooters"
In response to Reply # 29

Jrue's not waiting at the 3point line to get the ball back

he's penetrating and kicking (not to Iggy = improvement)

or posting up smaller defenders

our defense is still at the top of the league

now our 3point shooting is as well

as the season continues and the new players get more familiar

I would hope to see a reduction in turnovers and an increase in PPG

= improvement sans Bynum

add Bynum at any...ahh forget it, you heard me

just chill!

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 04:47 PM

32. "stop saying add Bynum, you said without they're still better"
In response to Reply # 30

and my point is the Bynum thing is gonna be DOA.

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 07:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
36. "you can't be serious."
Sat Nov-17-12 07:53 PM by Guinness

>and I'm liking what I'm seeing from ET

he's actually been *worse* than last year, when he was absolutely terrible. fine, he's a good rebounder. otherwise, he's a 37% shooter, an okay passer and a decent defender who doesn't block shots or net steals. he shouldn't start on any team. the only way he could become helpful is if everyone agreed he should never shoot unless it was a layup or a breakaway dunk.

bentagain
16595 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 09:53 AM

43. "yes, I'm serious"
In response to Reply # 36

I thought ET earned a starting spot 2 years ago with his performance against MIA in the playoffs

but he continued to sit mostly due to Coach's hard-on for Jodie Meeks

part of the reason I feel this is a better team

the last couple of years we saw a handful of roster spots given to guards

that didn't really play well together

it now looks like the roles are not only a better fit

but also more defined

between Iggy, Jrue, Lou, and ET

I think they all thought they could play the point

and should have the ball in their hands the majority of the time

now it's Jrue's or ET's job to initiate the offense

and instead of kicking out to Jodie Meeks (who was a liability on D against most anybody)

or Iggy trying to convince everybody he's a shooter

we have actual spot up shooters

and we haven't sacrificed anything on the defensive end of the floor

in the 9 games thus far

ET has been most productive when given the most opportunities

i.e. mins and fgas

which I always felt was the issue

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 12:11 AM

42. "RE: your doomsday scenario aside, have you watched them play?"

>Jrue is stepping up

he is just turning into another iggy, a valuable and well-rounded player thrust into a level of usage and responsibility that doesn't suit his style or talent level. i have been a big fan, but now that is where he seems headed

>and I'm liking what I'm seeing from ET

really? i'd say i watched six full games and he played well ONCE (vs Boston).

>he just needs to be consistent with it

i would say frequency is the first step, then consistency.

>which will come with continued minutes

hope so

>he'll be grabbing boards nonetheless
>
>and Hawes looks healthy

he has been solid. now how about anyone else? no one really taking a step forward. lots of limited impact guys rounding out the roster, pretty one dimensional guys.

>if we take a logical approach, which I think you gave an
>attempt with some of closing lines

>and then factor in Bynum giving us SOMETHING in the 2nd half
>and playoffs

at this point i dont think the playoffs are even a certainty. we'll see, i mean with a healthy bynum and turner going forward, yes, this team is clearly better. so far i dont see either.

>I don't see the need for this post now
>
>as you said
>
>Iggy leaving gave the opportunity to guys that have been
>waiting

i mean it's just ONE guy, turner, and honestly he would have had a ton of opportunity anyway with williams leaving. iggy was the team's best player, period, he was not a GREAT player but he was their best all around player. lose him, lose a big guy they used a fair amount and their leading scorer. that's a lot to replace. do you think they not only replaced but improved upon it with bynum, nick young and more minutes for turner? doubt it.

>and they look like they're up to challenge
>
>this is basketball, not football
>
>it's a long season
>
>leave that panic shit for the LAL

eh, it's more deflation than panic that i read there.

bentagain
16595 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 10:06 AM

44. "yes, I do think they've improved even without Bynum"
In response to Reply # 42
Sun Nov-18-12 10:07 AM by bentagain

we returned what? 5 players from last year's roster

Jrue, ET, Thad, LA and Hawes?

and through 9 games, we're about middle of the pack

I'm not trying to convince anybody

of course the news is deflating

it's just my opinion

that this team still has the pieces and players to finish better than last year's 8 seed

as the season progresses

I'm looking for the TOs to decrease and the PPG increase

our defense seems to be holding the line

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Nov-19-12 05:49 PM

52. "what the fuck does RECORD matter right now???"
In response to Reply # 44

>we returned what? 5 players from last year's roster
>
>Jrue, ET, Thad, LA and Hawes?
>
>and through 9 games, we're about middle of the pack

WHOOPTY DAMN DOO! (c) DC. If you aint breaking hoard winning like 8 outta 9 or flopping harder by losing that proportion, your record means fucking nothing right now. Even if it did, .500 is worse than they played last year, especially at the start of the year, then it is much worse.

>I'm not trying to convince anybody
>
>of course the news is deflating
>
>it's just my opinion
>
>that this team still has the pieces and players to finish
>better than last year's 8 seed

if they dont get bynum back this team will not make the playoffs. the east is deeper this year. it doesn't have as many top teams (maybe) but it's deeper overall.

>as the season progresses
>
>I'm looking for the TOs to decrease and the PPG increase
>
>our defense seems to be holding the line

defense is decent for sure but the offense is extremely labored, even more labored than last year if you ask me.

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Nov-19-12 06:05 PM

54. "what metric works for you?"
In response to Reply # 52

I'm going with record

as that's how I would compare them to other teams

specifically

if you look at the teams that came out HOARD winning 8 of their first 9, blah, blah, blah...

those are teams that didn't completely overhaul their roster

like the 6ers did this offseason (which makes the REBUILD NOW talk confusing, WTF do you think we're doing?)

which I referred to in stating we only returned 5 players from last years roster

with the caveat of our best player last year departing

the teams that came out HOARD

are the MEM, OKC, MIA, SAN, etc...

that is to say

we're middle of the pack 10 games into a season with a roster full of guys that haven't played together before

also referred to in the expectation that the TOs will decrease as they get familiar with each other as the season progresses

like I said, just my opinion

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 05:59 PM

63. "there are some individual guys playing better and some signs ..."
In response to Reply # 54

that they can build on last year, but this team is not "better" than the sixers were early last season or they were in the playoffs. not as deep and still very inconsistent.

bentagain
16595 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 06:17 PM

64. "we'll find out Saturday. the knock last year was that they weren't"
In response to Reply # 63
Wed Nov-21-12 06:19 PM by bentagain

their record

that is to say

they got off to a 10-4 start

but every loss was to the good teams on the schedule to that point

we racked up wins against WAS, DET, NOR, etc...

we beat the teams we were suppose to beat

and against the upper tier teams

we collected Ls

I think the LAL W was the high point of the season

but they never duplicated that against that type of team again

(I'm still waiting for them to show up against MIA, not even win, just not completely embarrass themselves)

a couple of solid Ws already against DEN and BOS

(a W in one of those NYK games would have helped the perception)

and it looks like we can still collect Ws against the bottom of the barrel teams

so if we can get a few Ws against the likes of the OKCs, MIAs, etc...

I think it'd be safe to say the team is improved

the postseason magnified our NEED

a W against a CHI team without Rose and Noah didn't really mean much

again, we were suppose to win those games given the injuries

but KG did work against our frontline

I'm not really investing too much in a specific stretch of the season

against subpar opposition

or a playoff series W against a depleted roster

we finished a 8th seed, because that's what we were

this year, I think we're in the 5-6 seed (without Bynum)

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 01:09 PM

17. "sixers need to start over HOARD"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Nov-17-12 01:09 PM by BrooklynWHAT

just be ass for bout 2 or 3 years.

cause as presently constructed...they're gonna suck in about 2 or 3 years. but not enough to get better. just enough to keep on sucking.

<--- Big Baller World Order

theothursdays
Member since Aug 05th 2002
12387 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 01:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Been there done that and our reward? Evan Turner"
In response to Reply # 17

----

bentagain
16595 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 02:01 PM

19. "the trade was the new owners addressing a NEED"
Sat Nov-17-12 02:24 PM by bentagain

the post Croce 6ers had guard heavy rosters

no front court presence

AT ALL

which is why they threw the bank at Dildo

CWebb

DC

etc...

we have the talent in the backcourt

more than enough with the additional shooters this year

but without a frontcourt presence

we'll continue to be a 2nd round out

tanking in the hopes of drafting the next big thing

is alot riskier than taking a shot on a proven commodity

that you also have the luxury of moving on from in a year's time

in the event it doesn't work out

or use your cap space to keep if it does work out

and as far as getting better...

last year was our fist playoff series W since...?

not impossible to improve upon without tanking to do it.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 02:36 PM

22. "that has been the truth for a long time, i would say since 2005"

once the o'brien experiment failed, it was time to blow it up

they refuse

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 02:34 PM

20. "I said at the time it was a big risk/unclear if we'd improve"
In response to Reply # 0

dude, we gave up THREE first rounders essentially plus our best player.

like i said, lakers got a free upgrade, denver got an all star for nothing, orlando got a grab big and the sixers paid the high price.

we don't miss dildo baggins really and he was going to go anyway after the year. we do miss williams and iggy. we did not need to sign nick young or kwame brown, those were wastes of energy, money and roster space.

there was no clear cut the sign the sixers were an improved team even with bynum. once he went down, it was pretty obvious this was another in a series of disappointments.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 02:57 PM

24. "RE: I said at the time it was a big risk/unclear if we'd improve"
In response to Reply # 20

>dude, we gave up THREE first rounders essentially plus our
>best player.
>
Our 'best player' is the thing I care least about out of all that.

>like i said, lakers got a free upgrade, denver got an all star
>for nothing, orlando got a grab big and the sixers paid the
>high price.
>
>we don't miss dildo baggins really and he was going to go
>anyway after the year. we do miss williams and iggy. we did
>not need to sign nick young or kwame brown, those were wastes
>of energy, money and roster space.
>
>there was no clear cut the sign the sixers were an improved
>team even with bynum.

when were we 'with bynum'?

we lost Iggy & Lou because we hoped we had an elite center & didn't need to be locked into those guys so signed some short-contract cheaper filler.

once he went down, it was pretty obvious
>this was another in a series of disappointments.
>
well, yeah, even at its worst you didn't think a guy who finished the season healthy would manage to be injured to the AS Break before he even practiced once.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Nov-19-12 05:52 PM

53. "RE: I said at the time it was a big risk/unclear if we'd improve"
In response to Reply # 24

look at this trade

williams
iggy
brand
vucevic
harkless
1st rd pick

bynum
richardson
young
kwame cakes

is there a clear improvement there?

they didnt replace what they put out and they mortgaged a good amount of future assets, too.

bynum thing i just feel like we have to ride out, but of course my fear is the same as yours. he delays his return, plays maybe a quarter of the season and off that they give him a max deal.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 03:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Not having to worry about this dude and his injuries/mindset anymore..."
In response to Reply # 0

Such a fucking relief (echoing your CFO's sentiments lol).

That being said...I am hoping for some kind of miracle and Drew getting out there for some time this season because I do wish him the best and have no illwill toward the 6ers..but as you have basically said: probably not gonna happen.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 05:39 PM

33. "2 ways to look at it..."
In response to Reply # 0

1. He does what you suggested and mails the season in to be healthy for his next contract.

In the interim we suck ass this season while watching jrue grow, evan play his way out of town and get a feel for some other guys who are on short term deals.

After about 9 games

We know jrue can run an effective PG and won't kill you if he's your 2nd or 3rd best player.

We know we need to lose this ideal of evan turner being anything more than a role player at this point.

We know thad and dorrell wright can be useful players for you. As starters or off the bench. Jrich is useful too, but he's got about 1 more good year in him.

So we bottom out this year and be terrible. We keep our lottery pick and add another piece. If bynum stays and is healthy, then great.

2) He leaves. The we're fucked, but we no longer in that mish mash no man's land. And we know what we have and can move on. With some cap flexibility and a lottery pick or two playing with what we have. A clean slate.

Other than vuke, I'm not missing anybody we let go of. He may not even be that good. He just looks better than lavoy and hawes right now.

At this point I'd rather be terrible than mediocre without him.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

low2behold
Member since Jan 05th 2006
19165 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 05:42 PM

34. "damn, theyre not even 10 games into the season. calm the fuck down."
In response to Reply # 0

seriously. they still winning.

-------------
IG: mike_gx
-------------

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 05:47 PM

35. "I don't care, they're gonna be 40 games in before the dude"
In response to Reply # 34

they got even pretends to try to play, that's the point.

Their record right today means nothing.

low2behold
Member since Jan 05th 2006
19165 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:03 PM

37. "If they can be .500 which i doubt because theyre better than that"
In response to Reply # 35

They will be in good shape when he comes back... 40 games or not.

-------------
IG: mike_gx
-------------

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:19 PM

39. "no, they're really not better than that & he also ain't coming back"
In response to Reply # 37

>They will be in good shape when he comes back... 40 games or
>not.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 10:58 AM

47. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 34

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:14 PM

38. "Bynum Hurt While Bowling:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8647489/sources-andrew-bynum-philadelphia-76ers-suffered-setback-bowling

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:36 PM

40. "this sorry motherfucka..."
In response to Reply # 38

Challenger
Member since Dec 21st 2004
4193 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 11:39 PM

41. "I don't always bowl, but when i do, i bowl until my knees hurt!!! "

Sincerely, Bynum

Challenger-

************************************************************************************
M. Ali - the Greatest - https://youtube.com/watch?v=jkhpZoPOfZI

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 10:57 AM

45. "LOL"

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 11:06 AM

49. "RE: Bynum Hurt While Bowling:"

http://twitpic.com/bed8qz

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 10:58 AM

46. "accentuate the positive"
In response to Reply # 0

even if socks were healthy and giving us 25 and 11 for years, this team wasn't gonna win the title.

i'm just going to enjoy having our best point guard since mo cheeks.

----
bshelly

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 11:04 AM

48. "oh I wasn't looking for a title this year even in best case scenario"
In response to Reply # 46

but 25-11 would have given us an anchor for a future, reserving the right to build around him & Jrue or flip Jrue/Turner for a package then land a CP3 or Kyrie.

melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Mon Nov-19-12 02:32 PM

50. "bowling alley releases footage of bynum injury"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i48.tinypic.com/70vqxu.gif

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Mon Nov-19-12 04:31 PM

51. "LOL "
In response to Reply # 50

This is good!

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 03:35 PM

58. "lmfao thats fucked up."
In response to Reply # 50

<--- Big Baller World Order

Shmuley Boteach
Member since Nov 05th 2012
355 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 08:19 AM

55. "Not really breaking news but:"
In response to Reply # 0

Andrew Bynum could eventually need knee surgery which would sideline him for the season.
We're taking this report with a major grain of salt. An orthopedic surgeon, who has not been involved in Bynum's treatment and has not seen Bynum's MRI's, indicated a likely osteochondritis dessicans lesions diagnosis for Bynum, but it's tough to make that call without being involved in Bynum's treatment. Every update on Bynum's knees have been negative, so we're not dismissing this entirely, either. The surgeon added that if Bynum returned too soon, it could turn into a career-threatening condition. Bynum remains out indefinitely.

--Bigger question for me is who decides to give him a contract if this surgery goes down, and how much.

---
http://youtu.be/2WDK6NCsxzo

An internationally acclaimed scholar, Shmuley Boteach.
A listener who brings ppl together, Shmuley Boteach.
An articulate defender of Jeremy Lin, Shmuley Boteach.
Finally a values voice on OKP, Shmuley Boteach.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 03:32 PM

57. "Why is that dr breaking confidentiality all casually like that though?"
In response to Reply # 55

Found that pretty weird

natural
Charter member
4632 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 03:49 PM

60. "confidentiality of what? he's not involved/just speculating"
In response to Reply # 57

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 03:59 PM

61. "So all this is off some random doctors opinion?"
In response to Reply # 60

He has to have some kinda info otherwise this is a complete non story

natural
Charter member
4632 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 04:50 PM

62. "pretty much"
In response to Reply # 61

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 08:50 AM

56. "Iggy a very good player obvi, but risk was worth it imo, Orlando tho"
In response to Reply # 0

is a fucking disgrace

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 03:37 PM

59. "RE: Realizing The Sixers Got Fucked In The Trade By Thanksgiving Of Year..."
In response to Reply # 0

Since gortat wants out of phx, trade socks to phx for gortat

Phx would have socks up and playing in one week

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 08:11 PM

65. "*Pours Out A Full Red Bell Brewery 22-Ounce For This One*"
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 12:53 AM

66. "put this bum in a slingshot powerful enuff to exit earth's atmosphere"
In response to Reply # 0

pull back the band by tying it to a fleet of Jetro trucks barreling down Pattison Avenue simultaneously, release hold when they reach Delaware Ave as he's hurdled directly into the sun's magma, briefly obscuring it to form a Batman-like signal in the sky in the form of his half-hair before the fire incinerates all remaining traces while kids frolic in the descending ashes as if it was a spring shower.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 08:16 AM

67. "still don't hate getting bynum or getting rid of iggy"
In response to Reply # 0

we took a calculated risk to try to move up a level, and we got unlucky. as for iggy, who cares.

vucevic hurts, especially since i was enamored with his game last, but, like, I'm still not convinced he's a franchise changer or even an eventual all star. he's average 13.5 and 11 in 33 minutes on an 18 win team, and he's 22, which means he'll get better, but how much is in doubt. he's certainly a useful piece, but i'm not sure he's more than that.

all in all, the sixers were irrelevant before this. now they're terrible, which means they're closer to relevancy than they were last year, since terrible teams have a chance to win the lottery and not draft evan turner. if one thinks the sixers lost big in this trade, they are missing the big picture or just love being part of the "HAR HAR HAR FILLY" crowd and those people are not to be minded in the least.

----
bshelly

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 08:17 AM

68. "they've snagged three wins in the last week."
In response to Reply # 67

just a final "FUCK YOU' from this team to anyone that ever cared about it.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 11:26 AM

69. "I do not care about Iggy at all, I'd rather still have Vuce than Iggy"
In response to Reply # 67

But I'm not acting like we traded Moses.

I know the deal was a risk worth taking but let's not get it twisted, we did in fact lose bcuz this bum never even gave us a single game to see what the strategy would have looked like.

Now my main concern is them compounding the problem by throwing money at him & hoping for something different to happen.

They need to understand it's over. We cannot spend multiple offseasons at the mercy of this wishy-washy waste of size & talent.

Fire Collins, get a real GM, keep it moving.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 12:59 PM

70. "Why would they fire Collins?"
In response to Reply # 69

I have never been a fan of the hire but it's been OK and they just extended him last year. The first thing to look at if a coach will be canned or not is how long and how much he has on his contract. Then you see if the team is underachieving. I don't see a strong case for that.

Of course I'd like to get someone with a chance of sticking long term and I know Collins will lose the team sooner than later. But realistically speaking I don't see them firing him.

It sucks to lose Bynum for nothing, they did move a future first, a decent big guy and a swing man with some talent so where are they going to stock new players? Just keep making these little crap FA sprees like they (and Dallas) did this year? Meh.

Whatever, I am resigned to them bungling the situation and being mediocre for the rest of my natural life. Any effort to get a big guy just ends in disaster.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 01:02 PM

71. "why *wouldn't they* fire his ass? He's old, we sorry, he's already"
In response to Reply # 70

prevented us from getting a real GM one offseason no need to make it two, he already has lost the team, he continually plays stopgaps over young guys even now that the season's already over.

What possible reason would their be to keep him?

Let him retire & let's go get a real GM before we do anymore damage.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Mar-22-13 12:24 AM

73. "it's fine with me, but i have no confidence that they will"
In response to Reply # 71

ihsanamin.
Member since Oct 30th 2012
566 posts
Fri Mar-22-13 12:21 AM

72. "All facts."
In response to Reply # 0

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Tue Apr-30-13 11:04 PM

74. "*muttley laugh*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/watch-andrew-bynum-flamenco-dancing-spain-ferrari-jacket-021051875.html

trust me, it's as great as you think it is.

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Tue Apr-30-13 11:07 PM

75. "i LOVE this dude"
In response to Reply # 74

max him out

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Tue Apr-30-13 11:32 PM

76. "LMAO"

-------------------------
The other dude after me didnt help my case. It was just likecrazy nigga factory going on.
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. I was young, and searching, trying to find myself, he says. Never did.-- Andre B

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Apr-30-13 11:53 PM

77. "hopefully he's staying for the Running of the Bulls this summer"

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2072929 Previous topic | Next topic