Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2536667

Subject: "Joe's dead, Jerry's in prison, but anyway, here's this:" Previous topic | Next topic
Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16191 posts
Thu May-05-16 06:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Joe's dead, Jerry's in prison, but anyway, here's this:"

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/court_filing_says_joe_paterno.html

A new bombshell dropped in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal Thursday.

It came in the form of a line in a court order on a related insurance coverage case involving Penn State, and its ramifications can't immediately be gauged.

But that line was eye-popping in itself.

The line in question states that one of Penn State's insurers has claimed "in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU's Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky."

The order also cites separate references in 1987 and 1988 in which unnamed assistant coaches witnessed inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children, and a 1988 case that was supposedly referred to Penn State's athletic director at the time.

All, the opinion states, are described in victims' depositions taken as part of the case, but that, according a PennLive review of the case file, are apparently under seal.

"There is no evidence that reports of these incidents ever went further up the chain of command at PSU," Judge Gary Glazer wrote, in determining that because Penn State's executive officers weren't aware of the allegations, he would not bar those claims from insurance coverage.

The insurance case involves big money for Penn State - other sections of Glazer's order find that the university cannot claim coverage for Sandusky settlements for abuses started between 1992 and 1999.

But it is the Paterno allegation that is eye-popping, because of the unending national conversation and curiosity over how much the late and legendary Penn State coach may have known about Sandusky's actions during their lengthy careers.

Parts of Penn State nation still are deeply divided over questions like whether Paterno's Beaver Stadium statue - taken down in the summer of 2012 - should be reinstalled there or somewhere else on the campus.

Paterno's family, and by extension its legions of loyalists, have argued vehemently that Paterno and the larger Penn State community were deceived by Sandusky, whom they have argued - with a consultant's help - was a master deceiver and manipulator.

And they also disputed the claim in the current case Thursday evening in the strongest possible terms.

"Over the past four-and-a-half years Joe Paterno's conduct has been scrutinized by an endless list of investigators and attorneys," the Paterno family's attorney, Wick Sollers, said in a statement.

"Through all of this review there has never been any evidence of inappropriate conduct by Coach Paterno. To the contrary, the evidence clearly shows he shared information with his superiors as appropriate.

"An allegation now about an alleged event 40 years ago, as represented by a single line in a court document regarding an insurance issue, with no corroborating evidence, does not change the facts. Joe Paterno did not, at any time, cover up conduct by Jerry Sandusky."

PennLive reached out to Steven Engelmyer, the lead attorney for Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association Insurance Co., which is arguing it has not duty to reimburse Penn State for more than $60 million in Sandusky-related settlements paid to date.

Engelmyer declined comment.

Others, including Penn State's independent Sandusky investigator Louis Freeh, have alleged that, at least from 1998 on, Paterno, then-Penn State President Graham Spanier were aware of complaints against and about Sandusky.

In a pending criminal case, Spanier and two of his top aides are accused of failing to report a specific allegation of abuse by Sandusky in 2001 that a then-graduate assistant had reported directly to Joe Paterno.

Paterno, who died in January 2012, was never charged with any crimes.

As Sollers pointed out in his statement, however, it was Paterno who actually referred the graduate assistant, Mike McQueary, to the athletic director and a senior vice president at the university.

But Freeh's report also cited emails that raised the suggestion Paterno may have been part of a later decision not to take the McQueary report to police or child welfare authorities.

And many of the people who presented civil claims to the university only sarted to come forward after the completion of Sandusky's criminal trial in June 2012. Freeh's report was issued the following month.

Attempts to reach prosecutors who worked the Sandusky case were unsuccessful.

The allegation contained in Glazer's ruling drew immediate puzzlement and uncertainty from some of Paterno's most loyal supporters at Penn State Thursday, and a muted reaction from the university itself.

Trustee Anthony Lubrano, a Paterno loyalist who has worked tirelessly with alumni allies to try to "correct the record" in the Sandusky case, said he was "not even peripherally aware" of the 1976 claim about Paterno.

Penn State spokesman Lawrence Lokman said that university officials who have worked on the legal cases radiating from the Sandusky scandal were aware of the allegations, broadly, contained in the insurance case.

"Many, many people, potential victims and victims have come forward to the university as part of that (settlement) process," Lokman said. "We do not talk about their specific circumstances."

Lokman also would not say whether the 1976 incident raised in the PMA case was one of the 30 or so that have resulted in monetary settlements.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
fuuuuuuuuck
May 05th 2016
RE: fuuuuuuuuck
May 05th 2016
I never bought that line of bullshit about Joe not knowing.
May 05th 2016
Even so, how do you not fire the guy?
May 05th 2016
      I have no earthly idea. Paterno had little boys of his own at that point...
May 05th 2016
      Guessing here, but maybe he didn't believe it
May 06th 2016
      football.
May 06th 2016
      Joe needed Sandusky to make the football side work
May 06th 2016
           RE: Joe needed Sandusky to make the football side work
May 06th 2016
so is the ncaa gonna punish/fine them again or what?
May 05th 2016
good question. do they strip more wins (back to '76?) ?
May 05th 2016
      They already reinstated the wins that they took away...
May 06th 2016
           and it was rescinded on the basis of 'good behavior'
May 06th 2016
anyone with half a brain knew that JoePa was aware
May 06th 2016
I don't think anyone finds this surprising.
May 06th 2016
...and the "let Joe Pa rest in peace" gang is back
May 06th 2016
the reason i walked away
May 06th 2016
a friend of mine is one of these guys
May 06th 2016
my girlfriend's family is full of them
May 06th 2016
psu people are really weird about paterno
Jul 13th 2016
It's Hilarisad how people actively or passively familiar with Ped State....
May 06th 2016
When ambition overrules good character
May 06th 2016
Now this should finally dead this idea that Paterno didn't know
May 06th 2016
being in the dark about your right hand man constantly raping little
May 06th 2016
eagerly awaiting a nutso diatribe from Franco Harris
May 06th 2016
Sandusky Case Bombshell: Did 6 Penn State Coaches Witness Abuse? (swipe)
May 06th 2016
Another report...Paterno knew in 1971
May 09th 2016
"I have a football season to worry about"
Jul 12th 2016
when's that statue coming back up again?
Jul 12th 2016
Things to avoid: comments sections
Jul 12th 2016
p.o.s.
Jul 12th 2016
O_o
Jul 12th 2016
ctrl-f "schiano" -> 0 hits -> hmmm
Jul 13th 2016
I can't believe Schiano and Tom Bradley still have jobs today
Jul 13th 2016
not really sure there is grounds for them to be fired
Jul 13th 2016
      At this point I'm more interested in what the hell our vetting process i...
Jul 16th 2016
           RE: At this point I'm more interested in what the hell our vetting proce...
Jul 17th 2016
yeah that shit is not wavy either
Jul 13th 2016
oh and let's not gloss over the fact that u only give a shit now
Jul 15th 2016
I was never crazy about that schiano hire. I wish urban had left him al...
Jul 16th 2016
      LJ sr. was a PSU lifer
Jul 16th 2016
           I wasnt happy about ANY former PSU employees...including LJSr
Jul 16th 2016
this was as easy to predict as Joe Pa's being dead within six months
Jul 14th 2016
You back on the boards?
Jul 14th 2016
yeah, time will tell how much but I missed y'all
Jul 17th 2016
wow. welcome back.
Jul 15th 2016
thanks, appreciate that brotha, good to be home
Jul 17th 2016
Bomb don't know how to call a brutha
Mar 13th 2017
bump for today's honorary ceremony!!
Sep 17th 2016
Who the hell up there signed off on this bright idea ??
Sep 17th 2016
EVERYONE SIGNED UP!
Sep 17th 2016
      The administration and faculty didn't.
Sep 17th 2016
           RE: The administration and faculty didn't.
Sep 17th 2016
                RE: The administration and faculty didn't.
Sep 17th 2016
RE: bump for today's honorary ceremony!!
Sep 17th 2016
In retrospect, I wish the ncca had given us the death penalty
Sep 17th 2016
Mike Wise breaks your heart *swipe*
Sep 18th 2016
Incredible
Sep 18th 2016
This part...damn...
Sep 18th 2016
amazing.
Sep 18th 2016
Curley and Schultz plead guilty...
Mar 13th 2017
What's the current status on the Paterno legacy on campus?
Mar 13th 2017
Was there over the summer, there's definitely a trace.
Mar 13th 2017
PSU trustee sick of hearing about Sandusky's "so-called victims"
Mar 30th 2017
Penn State has a real problem on their hands
Apr 02nd 2017
Penn State up to it again
Feb 21st 2024
This is WILD. But as a Michigan alum still living in Ann Arbor,
Feb 22nd 2024
      most PSU alums are still die hard Paterno fans...
Feb 22nd 2024
      why not? you didnt have shit to do with Bo. you can say what you want.
Feb 22nd 2024
           To be clear what I'm saying is it's not fair for me
Feb 23rd 2024

Rjcc
Charter member
95061 posts
Thu May-05-16 06:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "fuuuuuuuuck"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Rjcc
Charter member
95061 posts
Thu May-05-16 09:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: fuuuuuuuuck"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRJOsJIjAuU

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Thu May-05-16 08:20 PM

2. "I never bought that line of bullshit about Joe not knowing."
In response to Reply # 0

He did what was best for the program and let little kids get raped for over 40 yrs.

Fuck that statue and anyone that wants it back up at this point.

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Thu May-05-16 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Even so, how do you not fire the guy?"
In response to Reply # 2

This is insane.

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

placee_22
12956 posts
Thu May-05-16 08:30 PM

4. "I have no earthly idea. Paterno had little boys of his own at that point..."
In response to Reply # 3

I can't call it man. Why keep this dude around. Who's THAT fucking loyal.

I'm guessing if Joe was diddling kids too, Sandusky woulda probably dropped that bomb 1st. So it can't be that.

Walleye
Charter member
15535 posts
Fri May-06-16 06:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Guessing here, but maybe he didn't believe it"
In response to Reply # 3

It's ugly, but if somebody told me one of my closest friends - who I saw daily during long, long work days - was raping children, I'd have a hard time believing it.

Doesn't excuse it. But as an answer to your specific question (which I share) it may work.

There's a story about John Paul II not believing the accusations of sex abuse in the church because, growing up in communist Poland, the state's political enemies were often accused of being pedophiles in order to discredit them. It's awful, and certainly doesn't fix anything, but it explains one of the many weird questions that kind of hangs around things like this: what employee is so valuable that even raping children isn't sufficient reason to fire them?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36991 posts
Fri May-06-16 03:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "football."
In response to Reply # 8

what employee is so valuable that even raping
>children isn't sufficient reason to fire them?

https://digife.com

justin_scott
Charter member
19893 posts
Fri May-06-16 05:33 PM

23. "Joe needed Sandusky to make the football side work"
In response to Reply # 3

that's the only explanation i have. Joe looked the other way because they were winning and\or making tons of money. Joe didn't care about anyone but winning and being known as the best.

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Fri May-06-16 05:49 PM

25. "RE: Joe needed Sandusky to make the football side work"
In response to Reply # 23

>that's the only explanation i have. Joe looked the other way
>because they were winning and\or making tons of money. Joe
>didn't care about anyone but winning and being known as the
>best.

^^^Yes. Joe did not care about any of the kids. All he cared about was money, prestige, and power. All the school cared about was/is money, prestige, and power.

We are seeing the exact same thing today. Football coaches/programs, the school, and campus/city police are going out of their way to suppress sexual assault reports.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85172 posts
Thu May-05-16 09:29 PM

5. "so is the ncaa gonna punish/fine them again or what?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-05-16 09:29 PM by BrooklynWHAT

like we all knew Paterno knew. does confirming it actually change anything? besides more civil suits.

<--- Big Baller World Order

placee_22
12956 posts
Thu May-05-16 10:47 PM

7. "good question. do they strip more wins (back to '76?) ?"
In response to Reply # 5

what would that even accomplish?
Death Penalty would just hurt a bunch of kids/coaches that had nothing to do with Sandusky whatsoever.

I don't see any value the NCAA can add here

^^^applicable to a number of things involving the NCAA

soulfunk
Charter member
11041 posts
Fri May-06-16 07:58 AM

9. "They already reinstated the wins that they took away..."
In response to Reply # 7

And they rescinded the original sanctions, restoring full scholarships and they ended the post season ban early.

That entire PSU backlash seems crazy to me - people wanting to put Paterno's statue back up, going after the president for accepting the NCAA sanctions "too quickly", etc...

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Fri May-06-16 08:28 AM

10. "and it was rescinded on the basis of 'good behavior'"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri May-06-16 08:43 AM by 3xKrazy

so nothing has really changed here.

it's easier to swallow since their program sucks so bad anyway. the biggest punishment would be making Franklin coach for the next 60 years like JoePa. Or perhaps give hackenburg another 10 years of eligibility.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Fri May-06-16 08:31 AM

11. "anyone with half a brain knew that JoePa was aware"
In response to Reply # 0

for the lunatic PSU zealots walking around with a copy of the Freeh report in their back pocket...I doubt this will faze them much.

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Fri May-06-16 09:43 AM

12. "I don't think anyone finds this surprising."
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Fri May-06-16 10:09 AM

13. "...and the "let Joe Pa rest in peace" gang is back"
In response to Reply # 0

Reading other boards...they just can't allow themselves to believe that a person that is a good coach and charitable in one aspect of their life can be a selfish piece of shit in another...SMH.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri May-06-16 10:20 AM

14. "the reason i walked away"
In response to Reply # 13

even a horrific, unfathomable tragedy like Sandusky wouldn't have been enough for me to divorce my team, if everyone involved owned it and swore they would do everything they could to help the victims and atone for their sins.

Instead, most of the Penn State community dug in for a fight.

Despicable.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6429 posts
Fri May-06-16 10:47 AM

16. "a friend of mine is one of these guys"

perfectly normal dude otherwise, but when it comes to Penn State he's on some Branch Davidian shit

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Fri May-06-16 11:17 AM

18. "my girlfriend's family is full of them"
In response to Reply # 16

A couple of years back during Thanksgiving, her father was whining about the sanctions against PSU. Just had to bite my tongue and wait for the subject to change.

makaveli
Charter member
16356 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:00 PM

34. "psu people are really weird about paterno"

like they're not logical.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28893 posts
Fri May-06-16 10:28 AM

15. "It's Hilarisad how people actively or passively familiar with Ped State...."
In response to Reply # 0

... community are deflecting and denying this.

I hope Joe Ped is rotting in the hottest pit of hell suffering for his refusal to stop a predator for the benefit of his football program.

http://sullydish.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/6a00d83451c45669e2015436c475b7970c-550wi.jpg

An interesting take I found online after thoroughly researching this news:

"The reason Ped State football exists as a juggernaut it is today is largely because of Jo Paterno's decision to keep silent.

Look at the dates being discussed - 1976: Penn State went 9-3 in 1975 and finished #10, then went 11-1 in 1977 and finished #5. They were in the National Title hunt those years.

1987: Penn State had finished 12-0 in 1986 and won their last national championship. They were in the national title hunt.

1988: This was Joe Paterno's worst year in a long time, people were asking if he should retire.

A sex abuse scandal in any of those years would have destroyed their football program and caused irreparable harm. By being able to weather those years, Penn State is what it is today. Don't forget, they were independents until 1991, their application into the Big Ten wasn't set in stone until 3 years after this last time a child told joe pa personally what happened. Do you think the Big Ten would have let Penn State into the conference in 1991 with a sex abuse scandal on their hands?

Every single time the Joe Paterno didn't act, it was directly for the betterment of himself and the football program and Penn State's pecking order in the college football world.

Their football program is built on broken lives and destroyed potential so it does not deserve to exist."

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri May-06-16 11:09 AM

17. "When ambition overrules good character "
In response to Reply # 0

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Fri May-06-16 02:50 PM

19. "Now this should finally dead this idea that Paterno didn't know"
In response to Reply # 0

what Sandusky was doing to those young boys

It was a few of you IDIOTS on here who tried to argue Paterno was in the dark abt what was happening right under his nose

Smh what a sordid situation all the way around

grassrootsphilosopher

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Fri May-06-16 03:42 PM

21. "being in the dark about your right hand man constantly raping little"
In response to Reply # 19

kids, for YEARS, might not be as bad as knowing, but it is still ridiculously pathetic.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Fri May-06-16 05:00 PM

22. "eagerly awaiting a nutso diatribe from Franco Harris"
In response to Reply # 0

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Fri May-06-16 05:34 PM

24. "Sandusky Case Bombshell: Did 6 Penn State Coaches Witness Abuse? (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandusky-case-bombshell-did-6-penn-state-coaches-witness-abuse-n569526

Sandusky Case Bombshell: Did 6 Penn State Coaches Witness Abuse?
by TOM WINTER and HANNAH RAPPLEYE
MAY 6 2016, 6:10 PM ET

As many as six assistant coaches at Penn State witnessed "inappropriate behavior" between Jerry Sandusky and boys, stretching as far back as the 1970s, NBC News has learned.

It is unclear if any of the men reported what they saw to higher-ups at Penn State before the sex-abuse scandal erupted in 2011.

The information, which comes from court documents and multiple sources with direct knowledge of legal proceedings, raises new questions about how long the abuse went on, why no one stopped it and whether there could be even more victims than previously known.

Sandusky — who worked in the football program at Penn State under legendary head coach Joe Paterno for three decades — is serving 30 to 60 years in prison after being convicted of molesting 10 boys he met through a charity starting in 1994.

But sources told NBC News that one former Penn State assistant coach witnessed an incident in the late 1970s. Three other coaches — who have gone on to work in the NFL and at Division I colleges — allegedly saw inappropriate conduct between Sandusky and boys in the early and mid-1990s.

"You won't believe what I just saw," one of those three coaches blurted out after bursting into a room filled with Penn State football staff, according to sources who spoke to a person who was in that room.

A lawyer for one of the three '90s coaches denied his client had seen anything. A second coach declined to comment. A third could not be reached, and the name of the fourth was not disclosed to NBC News.

Bolstering the sources' account, Sandusky's adopted son, Matt, who says he also was molested, told NBC News that investigators informed him a football program employee witnessed his father performing a sex act on him in a locker room in the early 1990s.

In addition to the four assistants detailed by sources, court papers made public this week point to two more coaches who allegedly witnessed what was described as "inappropriate" or "sexual" contact between Sandusky and children in 1987 and 1988.

Those same documents also revealed that a child allegedly told Joe Paterno he was molested by Sandusky in 1976 — 25 years earlier than Paterno acknowledged hearing about Sandusky in a shower with a child.

Those papers are tied to a legal dispute between Penn State and an insurance company over who should pay the university's share of $60 million in settlements to 26 victims, and the court was not required to verify the allegations.

Asked about the six coaches, Penn State released a written statement.

"The university is facing and has faced a number of litigation matters and claims related to the Sandusky events. Allegations of various kinds have been made, and will likely continue to be made," it said.

"The university does not speculate publicly or hypothesize about individual allegations. These are sensitive matters, and we want to be respectful of the rights of all individuals involved. It would be inappropriate to do otherwise."

Sandusky, 72, recently petitioned for a new trial.

Paterno died of lung cancer in 2012, months after being fired as head coach amid allegations he knew about Sandusky's abuse and failed to act.

His family is hitting back at the claim that he knew about Sandusky's crimes back in 1976.

"Because of a single sentence in a court record of an insurance case, Joe Paterno's reputation has once again been smeared with an unsubstantiated, forty year old allegation," the family said in a written statement.

"Over the past four and a half years, numerous allegations that were taken as fact when they were initially communicated have been proven false. It is in this context that the latest claim should be viewed."

Penn State said it could not comment on the allegation that a child told Paterno he had been abused.

"The university has no records from the time to help evaluate the claims. More importantly, Coach Paterno is not here to defend himself. Penn State does not intend to comment further, out of concern for privacy, and due to the strict confidentiality commitments that govern our various settlement agreements."

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Mon May-09-16 12:46 AM

26. "Another report...Paterno knew in 1971"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/05/06/penn-state-jerry-sandusky-child-sex-abuse-1970s-assistant-coaches-joe-paterno/84046678/

A second report has surfaced that late Penn State coach Joe Paterno was informed in the 1970s of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky's sexual abuse of children.

In a CNN report released Friday, a man described as a troubled young kid in 1971 said he was raped by Sandusky in a Penn State bathroom. Then, he told CNN, Paterno ignored his complaint about it.

Also Friday, NBC Sports reported that “as many as six” Penn State assistant coaches witnessed abusive acts by Sandusky, dating to the 1970s.
The latest allegations come one day after PennLive reported that Paterno was allegedly told in 1976 about an accusation of child sexual abuse by Sandusky.

The PennLive report cites a court order connected to an insurance coverage case involving Penn State. The order includes a line that one of the school’s insurers has claimed “in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU’s Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky.” The filing also cites incidents of other assistant football coaches witnessing “inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children.”

Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse in June 2012, five months after Paterno’s death, and is serving 30 to 60 years in prison. Lawyers for Sandusky, 72, have been in court this week attempting to overturn his conviction.

In CNN's report Friday, the accuser — who was 15 at the time of the alleged attack in 1971 — said he has never before spoken publicly about the abuse but that he did confide in a friend in the 1970s. That friend verified the story, CNN says.

CNN also said a Pennsylvania State Trooper, a longtime friend of the accuser, confirmed that days after Sandusky's initial arrest in November 2011, he told the trooper his story.

According to CNN, the accuser's parents questioned him about a cut on his head, the result of the alleged attack, and called Penn State against his wishes. They told their son that the police would not be called.

From the CNN report:

---He found himself on the phone with two men from Penn State.

"I tell them what happened — well, I couldn't get it out of me that I was — I can't even tell it to this day. It's just degrading — that I was raped," he said.

"I told the story up to a certain point. I told them that he grabbed me and that I got the hell out of there."

He insisted that he "made it very clear" it was a sexual attack.

"I made it clear there were things done to me that I just can't believe could have been done to me and I couldn't escape. I said, 'I'm very upset and scared and I couldn't believe I let my guard down.' They listened to me. And then all hell broke loose.

"They were asking me my motive, why I would say this about someone who has done so many good things."

They accused him of making it up. "'Stop this right now! We'll call the authorities,'" he said they told him.

Victim A says he couldn't think. "I just wanted to get off the phone."

The men on the phone had introduced themselves as Jim and Joe, he said. He had no idea who Jim was, and can't, to this day, say for sure.

"There was no question in my mind who Joe was," he said. "I've heard that voice a million times. It was Joe Paterno."---

Penn State spokesman Lawrence Lokman said Thursday in response to the PennLive report that school officials involved in cases related to the Sandusky scandal were aware of the new allegations contained in the insurance case in a broad sense.

“Many, many people, potential victims and victims have come forward to the university as part of that (settlement) process,” Lokman told the website. “We do not talk about their specific circumstances.”

The family of Paterno — who died in January 2012, two months after Sandusky's arrest — vehemently denied the allegations in the PennLive report.

Scott Paterno wrote on Twitter that "it would be great if everyone waited to see the substance of the allegation before they assume it's true. Because it's not."

If the allegation were true, it would suggest his father had protected "an obscure assistant coach no one had yet heard of" in 1976, Paterno wrote. He added: "It's bunk."

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

Rjcc
Charter member
95061 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 12:09 PM

27. ""I have a football season to worry about""
In response to Reply # 0

""Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, I don't want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?" a lawyer for Penn State's insurance carrier asked the man. "Specifically, yes," the man replied."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17015181/testimony-unsealed-documents-alleges-joe-paterno-knew-jerry-sandusky-abuse-1976

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 05:26 PM

28. "when's that statue coming back up again?"
In response to Reply # 27

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 06:24 PM

29. "Things to avoid: comments sections"
In response to Reply # 28

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 08:14 PM

30. "p.o.s."

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85172 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 10:05 PM

31. "O_o"

<--- Big Baller World Order

brown sugar
Member since Jan 22nd 2005
4536 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:33 PM

32. "ctrl-f "schiano" -> 0 hits -> hmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

<-- BAUGH SO HARD

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:57 PM

33. "I can't believe Schiano and Tom Bradley still have jobs today"
In response to Reply # 32

And I can't believe I'm fighting idiots on other sites that actually think neither of them did anything wrong.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 05:25 PM

36. "not really sure there is grounds for them to be fired"
In response to Reply # 33
Wed Jul-13-16 05:36 PM by 3xKrazy

from their current gigs. that isn't to say that they didn't act improperly or immorally during their stint at PSU.

look, we all know that joe pa and everyone else knew what was up. i think it becomes a complicated mess because we don't know who reported what to whom. perhaps there were some assistants (or none, or all) who did in fact kick this up the chain and took care of their legal obligations to report it but were told "it was being taken care of" and to keep their yaps shut.

i have a hard time believing that everyone involved with PSU was cool with this to the extent that they ALL turned a blind eye and wrote this shit off as "ok". we know that Joe Pa knew and that the school administrators knew...so where does this leave the lower level assistants and their responsibilities to act? I'm asking because I don't know. Was it their responsibility to resign? To walk up to Sandusky and pound his face in? It's not like ringing up the local police was gonna do shit.

Just seems like there's a fair amount of speculation and unknowns here.

Funny enough, I had always pegged Schiano to take over Franklin within the next year or two.

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Sat Jul-16-16 12:18 PM

44. "At this point I'm more interested in what the hell our vetting process i..."
In response to Reply # 36

Like did they actually ask him "Were you aware that Sandusky was a child molester?", "Did anyone tell you they witnessed Sandusky molesting children?", and if they actually checked with any outside sources. Cause if he lied at any point through that, that would be grounds for termination to me, it's not like he embellished how good he was at Powerpoint or something. Between him and Alford it seems like we have a lot of coaches tied to some very public rape cases and I'm sort of ashamed that we still employ them.

Bradley to me has a lot more to answer for than Schiano. Schiano was only at Penn St for like 4 years and not since 1995 when he was a young guy still climbing the ranks and it sounds like he saw something and reported it to a higher authority and it went nowhere. It sounds like Bradley at least two times was directly told of something by a coach under him and barely acted on it. Plus he was an absolute Penn St lifer who was there for three decades, how didn't he know anything?

Now it sounds like we're going to keep Bradley since Mora stood up for him but for what? It's hard to fire a dude over one piece of testimony but what's the benefit for us? So other schools can negatively recruit against us saying we employ a guy who harbored a child rapist? That ran one of the most underachieving defenses we've ever had last year? If you have any time to that hellhole in Happy Valley to me, you better come clean about everything you knew, be fucking outstanding at your job, and generally just go above and beyond to be employable to me, and Bradley hasn't done that.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Sun Jul-17-16 02:45 PM

45. "RE: At this point I'm more interested in what the hell our vetting proce..."
In response to Reply # 44
Sun Jul-17-16 02:47 PM by 3xKrazy

>Like did they actually ask him "Were you aware that Sandusky
>was a child molester?", "Did anyone tell you they witnessed
>Sandusky molesting children?", and if they actually checked
>with any outside sources. Cause if he lied at any point
>through that, that would be grounds for termination to me,

Maybe they asked him and he answered honestly?

I don't think testimony in a civil suit is enough to prove that he lied or grounds for termination.

>
>Bradley to me has a lot more to answer for than Schiano.
>Schiano was only at Penn St for like 4 years and not since
>1995 when he was a young guy still climbing the ranks and it
>sounds like he saw something and reported it to a higher
>authority and it went nowhere. It sounds like Bradley at least
>two times was directly told of something by a coach under him
>and barely acted on it. Plus he was an absolute Penn St lifer
>who was there for three decades, how didn't he know anything?

Fair points.

>Now it sounds like we're going to keep Bradley since Mora
>stood up for him but for what? It's hard to fire a dude over
>one piece of testimony but what's the benefit for us? So other
>schools can negatively recruit against us saying we employ a
>guy who harbored a child rapist? That ran one of the most
>underachieving defenses we've ever had last year? If you have
>any time to that hellhole in Happy Valley to me, you better
>come clean about everything you knew, be fucking outstanding
>at your job, and generally just go above and beyond to be
>employable to me, and Bradley hasn't done that.

Fair points again but I don't agree with the negative recruiting stuff. That would be a major stretch and I'd bet any amount of money that neither UCLA or OSU recruiting will be affected but his. Barring any new revelations this really hasn't been that big of a news story.

I think my overall point is that it's easy to be flippant about someone's livelihood and be on some scorched earth 'FIRE EVERYONE' shit while sitting behind a keyboard . It becomes a witch hunt and conceivably should go beyond football coaches. You have an administrative staff, academic support staff, strength and conditioning staff, athletic training staff, etc., etc. all of who had deep ties to the football program and conceivably should have known something. Are all of these people unemployable now? Wasn't there a janitor who witnessed Sandusky in the shower?

Rjcc
Charter member
95061 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 05:17 PM

35. "yeah that shit is not wavy either"

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Fri Jul-15-16 08:49 AM

40. "oh and let's not gloss over the fact that u only give a shit now"
Fri Jul-15-16 08:51 AM by 3xKrazy

because this has suddenly and very loosely involved a short-term OSU football employee. which is terribly sad and corny and very much part of the big picture problem.

i assume that the mich message boards are working themselves up into a lather about this as if it might somehow miraculously earn them a victory on the field or in recruiting. which it won't.

guru0509
Charter member
45452 posts
Sat Jul-16-16 06:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
41. "I was never crazy about that schiano hire. I wish urban had left him al..."

I don't want us involved with any former Joe Pedterno staffers

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Sat Jul-16-16 07:28 AM

42. "LJ sr. was a PSU lifer"
In response to Reply # 41

Fire him too?

guru0509
Charter member
45452 posts
Sat Jul-16-16 10:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
43. "I wasnt happy about ANY former PSU employees...including LJSr"
In response to Reply # 42

>Fire him too?

fine with me.

keep the stench of that depraved hell hole university faaaaar away frm my beloved alma mater.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 01:33 PM

37. "this was as easy to predict as Joe Pa's being dead within six months"
In response to Reply # 0

of all this stuff surfaced and they finally had to get him out of there.

Obviously he knew.

Fuck Joe Paterno.

Fuck Penn State as an athletic program, a campus and a community.

That other cretin isn't even worth mentioning like he's a human.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13931 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 07:40 PM

38. "You back on the boards?"
In response to Reply # 37

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Jul-17-16 07:46 PM

46. "yeah, time will tell how much but I missed y'all"
In response to Reply # 38

>

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Fri Jul-15-16 08:46 AM

39. "wow. welcome back. "
Fri Jul-15-16 08:46 AM by 3xKrazy

your site looks good man. best of luck with it.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Jul-17-16 07:47 PM

47. "thanks, appreciate that brotha, good to be home"
In response to Reply # 39

>your site looks good man. best of luck with it.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52937 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 09:34 PM

62. "Bomb don't know how to call a brutha"

J/K

Nah, hit me sometime, lemme know what you've been up to

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 09:30 AM

48. "bump for today's honorary ceremony!!"
In response to Reply # 0

sadly I think we're all out of tomatoes and insults to throw at this vile collection of people

Beezo
Charter member
27578 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 09:55 AM

49. "Who the hell up there signed off on this bright idea ??"
In response to Reply # 48

*smh*

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 10:07 AM

50. "EVERYONE SIGNED UP!"
In response to Reply # 49

*evil laugh*

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 11:01 AM

51. "The administration and faculty didn't."
In response to Reply # 50

But the money and the vast majority of fans weren't taking no for an answer and insist on continuing to light the program's present and future on fire.

Seriously, if we run Franklin off (and he may end up deserving it), who's taking this job? And who else is excited for Penn State to take a run at Herman only to never even get a phone call?

----
bshelly

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 11:53 AM

53. "RE: The administration and faculty didn't."
In response to Reply # 51

>But the money and the vast majority of fans weren't taking no
>for an answer and insist on continuing to light the program's
>present and future on fire.

forgive my ignorance...but how you have an official honorary ceremony at a campus venue without the administration's approval/endorsement?

>Seriously, if we run Franklin off (and he may end up deserving
>it), who's taking this job?

the guy currently coaching OSU's defense

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 12:50 PM

55. "RE: The administration and faculty didn't."
In response to Reply # 53

I mean, the administration caved because they want to keep their jobs. If they didn't, the Board of Trustees, which now has at least one avowed Paterno Truther and god knows how many silent sympathizers, may start firing right away, or they might wait until their friends with the checkbooks tell them to do so.

Fuck that place.

----
bshelly

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 12:12 PM

54. "RE: bump for today's honorary ceremony!!"
In response to Reply # 48

>sadly I think we're all out of tomatoes and insults to throw
>at this vile collection of people

That's where I am with it now...if they can't see why deifying him isn't the right thing to do at this point, nothing short of video of him holding little kids down while Sandusky did his thing will change their minds....and some of them would still hold Joe in high regard.

____

(c) Luciano

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Sep-17-16 11:05 AM

52. "In retrospect, I wish the ncca had given us the death penalty "
In response to Reply # 0

Not that we deserved it--again, I don't think the ncaa should act in cases of criminal matters. That's for the courts.

But I do feel like a lot of the absolutely toxic post Paterno culture wouldn't have gotten going if the idiot masses hadn't been able to attend church on Saturday for 2 or 3 years. Might have deemphasized football or Paterno in the university culture just a little.

----
bshelly

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sun Sep-18-16 08:41 AM

56. "Mike Wise breaks your heart *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://theundefeated.com/features/penn-state-doesnt-get-to-decide-joe-paternos-legacy/

----
bshelly

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Sep-18-16 09:28 AM

57. "Incredible"
In response to Reply # 56

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Sun Sep-18-16 01:00 PM

58. "This part...damn..."

"Joe Pa knew. He knew and he did nothing. He knew in 2001 and 1998 and, because of unsealed court documents, we learned this summer that he also knew as far back as 1976.

Leaders of men do not deserve to be commemorated if they cannot protect children. Taking the good parts of a man’s life and celebrating them – paying homage for all the character-building he did for his players – disrespects and demeans the boys who became men after they were abused by Sandusky, especially the ones whom Paterno knew about."

____

(c) Luciano

will_5198
Charter member
63200 posts
Sun Sep-18-16 11:06 PM

59. "amazing."

five years later and an outspoken group of Penn State fans and alumni are still victim-blaming. it's one of the most disgusting protests I've ever seen, and I wish all the worst for their beloved football program.

--------

soulfunk
Charter member
11041 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 04:46 PM

60. "Curley and Schultz plead guilty..."
In response to Reply # 0

Are they about to testify against Spanier? What's gonna come out now?

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/03/tim_curley_files_plea_in_sandu.html

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15903 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 05:34 PM

61. "What's the current status on the Paterno legacy on campus?"
In response to Reply # 0

Is there no trace of him?

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52937 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 09:35 PM

63. "Was there over the summer, there's definitely a trace. "
In response to Reply # 61

Shit ain't all over the place, but I seen his poster up
on some storefronts and shit

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

will_5198
Charter member
63200 posts
Thu Mar-30-17 08:02 PM

64. "PSU trustee sick of hearing about Sandusky's "so-called victims""
In response to Reply # 0

"Running out of sympathy for 35 yr old, so-called victims with 7 digit net worth," Penn State trustee Albert L. Lord said in an email on Saturday. "Do not understand why they were so prominent in trial. I am tired of victims' getting in the way of clearer thinking."

Lord, a former chief executive of Sallie Mae who was elected by alumni, has served on the Penn State Board of Trustees since 2014.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/03/penn_state_running_out_of_symp.html

the remaining undercurrent of disgusting people at this shithole school is amazing. this guy is a *current* trustee appointed by Penn State graduates. tells you everything.

--------

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8774 posts
Sun Apr-02-17 11:50 PM

65. "Penn State has a real problem on their hands"
In response to Reply # 64

If the trials and the negative publicity wouldn't at least change the lack of attention the university gives towards the victims of Sandusky, it's uncertain if their attitudes will change at all.

Just a sickening case all around.

The Real
Charter member
14044 posts
Wed Feb-21-24 05:59 PM

66. "Penn State up to it again"
In response to Reply # 0

Holding secret meetings, which violated state law, to rename the stadium after Joe Paterno.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/trustees-drop-proposal-to-name-penn-state-football-field-after-joe-paterno-in-heated-meeting/article_f4db766e-cf2b-11ee-adf1-ab16a7a92aa3.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soulfunk
Charter member
11041 posts
Thu Feb-22-24 12:56 PM

67. "This is WILD. But as a Michigan alum still living in Ann Arbor,"
In response to Reply # 66

who drives past Schembechler Hall and Bo's statue a couple times per week, I'm definitely not in a position to call out PSU. Bo knew about Dr. Anderson, and there is a good chunk of our alumni/fanbase who have their heads in the sand about it.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Feb-22-24 02:21 PM

68. "most PSU alums are still die hard Paterno fans..."
In response to Reply # 67

I was knew one socially when all this went down she was so insufferable I had to disassociate myself from her lol

3xKrazy
Charter member
21594 posts
Thu Feb-22-24 04:36 PM

69. "why not? you didnt have shit to do with Bo. you can say what you want."
In response to Reply # 67

> I'm definitely not in a position to call out
>PSU.

we do this weird thing in cfb where we make fans accountable for the transgressions of the team they root for. makes no sense to me.

soulfunk
Charter member
11041 posts
Fri Feb-23-24 09:18 AM

70. "To be clear what I'm saying is it's not fair for me"
In response to Reply # 69

to call out PSU fans without acknowledging the issues with Michigan fans. Because most of our fan base feel the same way about Bo that they do about Joe. If we'd taken down the statue and renamed the building, I'd bet that there would be some of the same secret meetings years later about bringing it back.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2536667 Previous topic | Next topic