Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2245891

Subject: "*swipes, runs away fast* - Mushnick rips AP" Previous topic | Next topic
Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16227 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 09:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"*swipes, runs away fast* - Mushnick rips AP"

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/

We in the media — especially those working event broadcasts — have a horrible habit of blindly or wishfully reporting great achievers are additionally blessed: They’re great humans.

Among many others, we did it with Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong. Last year, we began to do it with Adrian Peterson, before, and then after, he was selected the NFL’s MVP. With every big game — 2,037 running yards worth — the media bloated his profile: There runs Superman, a super guy, too.

“We talked with him after practice, and let me tell you this and that about Adrian Peterson.” “Adrian Peterson still finds time to do charity work in the Twin Cities area.” Blah, blah and blah. Good equals goodness.

Thus it was unsurprising Peterson’s downside went ignored. In 2009, he was busted for driving 109 mph in a 55 mph zone. He dismissed that as no big deal, which was doubly disturbing — his older, full brother was killed by a reckless driver.

Last summer, Peterson was in a club when he and friends were informed that it was closing time, past 2 a.m. Apparently, Peterson and pals felt they would decide when it was time to close. The police report noted three cops were needed to subdue Peterson.

He spent the rest of the night in jail, arrested for resisting arrest (a charge that was later dismissed).

Of course, we all have to operate from are our own set of values, our personal sense of right from wrong. Perhaps, given current standards among NFL players — mostly college men, no less — Peterson qualifies as a man of good character.

Still, I’m stuck with what I’ve got. And it’s sickening the NFL’s latest MVP, hours after his son died — allegedly murdered — declared he was “ready to roll,” ready to play football.

Me? I’d be fighting for breath, my knees weak with grief, demanding to know why, who, how. Then, I suspect, I’d seethe with rage, swearing retribution. I even think I’d take off a day or two from work. Maybe a week.

The suspect in the beating murder of Peterson’s 2-year-old is the boyfriend of Peterson’s “baby mama” — now the casual, flippant, detestable and common buzz-phrase for absentee, wham-bam fatherhood.

The accused, Joseph Patterson, previously was hit with domestic assault and abuse charges.

With his resources, how could Peterson, the NFL’s MVP, have allowed his son to remain in such an environment? Did he not know, or not care? Or not care to know? Or not know to care?

Peterson couldn’t have provided his son a better life, a longer life?

Money can’t buy love, but having signed a $96 million deal, he could not have provided his child — apparently his second from a “baby mama” — a safe home?

But given Peterson’s father did hard time for drug money laundering maybe we’re both stuck with the values in which we were born, raised.

On Friday, Peterson said he was “focused” on football. On Sunday, he played. But it’s not as if murder doesn’t now regularly afflict the NFL.

Maybe Peterson’s son is just one more stands-to-reason murder victim, just another child born to just another “baby mama,” one more kid who never had a shot, anyway. Maybe, by now, even if we can’t accept it, we can expect it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
There's a time and place...
Oct 14th 2013
saw the words baby mama in quotes and stopped reading
Oct 14th 2013
not even gonna bother to read....not yet at least.
Oct 14th 2013
the best part is he doesn't realize the irony in this sentence.
Oct 14th 2013
What a piece of shit
Oct 14th 2013
that sensationalist shit rag got the clicks it was looking for.
Oct 14th 2013
we're swiping NY Post columns now?
Oct 14th 2013
Worried it would be a slow Monday.
Oct 14th 2013
somehow Mushnick has hit a new low
Oct 14th 2013
this seems to be the fundamental premise of sportswriting nowadays
Oct 14th 2013
Fuck this guy with a cactus plant
Oct 14th 2013
Pretty low, this info makes you wonder, but it doesnt make you KNOW
Oct 14th 2013
Not sure how reliable, but this is the latest Ive heard.
Oct 14th 2013
he needs to be fired
Oct 14th 2013
WWJND*
Oct 14th 2013
Yo no bullshit, if I ever see this guy in person...
Oct 14th 2013
Mushnick Photos:
Oct 14th 2013
      NY/NJ media has the BIGGEST DOUCHES
Oct 14th 2013
           Just like the cops.
Oct 14th 2013
Inevitable some asshole would write that shit for some attention
Oct 14th 2013
My boy just sent me a book called "Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions
Oct 14th 2013
I know, dude got me fucked up, right? lol
Oct 14th 2013
If true, isn't that actually *worse*, though?
Oct 15th 2013
      Doesn't make sense to get mad about him trying to make you mad.
Oct 15th 2013

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "There's a time and place..."
In response to Reply # 0

And in this event,there's neither

Behold my works,ye mighty

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "saw the words baby mama in quotes and stopped reading"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59254 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "not even gonna bother to read....not yet at least."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12545 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:19 AM

4. "the best part is he doesn't realize the irony in this sentence. "
In response to Reply # 0

>He spent the rest of the night in jail, arrested for resisting
>arrest

the worst part is the rest of the article.

>Me? I’d be fighting for breath, my knees weak with grief,
>demanding to know why, who, how. Then, I suspect, I’d seethe
>with rage, swearing retribution. I even think I’d take off a
>day or two from work. Maybe a week.

lol @ "Me?" that's all this comes down to. you do what you would do. he did what he would do. i was surprised he played, but there's no right or wrong way to grieve. the idea of returning to work to get your mind off of a personal tragedy isn't new. and while we know the te'o story is bullshit now, he was PRAISED for playing a few days after his gf and grandmother died. why? because he played superbly and they won. AP played well, but if he had 200 yards with 3 TDs and they won this article wouldn't exist. it would be all "look at the courage".

>With his resources, how could Peterson, the NFL’s MVP, have
>allowed his son to remain in such an environment? Did he not
>know, or not care? Or not care to know? Or not know to care?

if you don't know how difficult custody battles are, then it's probably wise not to bring it up.

>Money can’t buy love, but having signed a $96 million deal, he
>could not have provided his child — apparently his second from
>a “baby mama” — a safe home?

wait, he's gonna pay her to break up with her awful bf? yeah, that'll go over well.

>
>But given Peterson’s father did hard time for drug money
>laundering maybe we’re both stuck with the values in which we
>were born, raised.

doesn't get much "holier than thou" than that.

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "What a piece of shit"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------------------------

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:28 AM

6. "that sensationalist shit rag got the clicks it was looking for."
In response to Reply # 0

well done.

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:29 AM

7. "we're swiping NY Post columns now?"
In response to Reply # 0

bringing up dismissed charges, speeding tickets, and AD's dad's criminal history?

what a miserable piece of shit.

i still blame hip-hop.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16227 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:49 AM

9. "Worried it would be a slow Monday."
In response to Reply # 7

Woke up kinda pissed off.

Thought I'd spread the misery.

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 10:40 AM

8. "somehow Mushnick has hit a new low"
In response to Reply # 0

"I'd be struggling to breathe" Gotta love how some people's 1st reaction in a situation like this is "well, if it was me" STFU! Nobody knows what they'd do in a situation like this...

I also like the argument that he should have taken "a game or two off"

so if he came back in 3 week's that's enough "grieving time" for all the assholes of the world to not judge him?

Everytime a tragedy like this happens in the world, and they happen far too often, we get 2 levels of shit, the act itself, then the reaction from all the trolls on the internet

<< Started From The Bottom

@rob_starrk

3xKrazy
Charter member
21710 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 01:05 PM

11. "this seems to be the fundamental premise of sportswriting nowadays"
In response to Reply # 8

>""well, if it was me"

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 12:26 PM

10. "Fuck this guy with a cactus plant "
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 06:47 PM

12. "Pretty low, this info makes you wonder, but it doesnt make you KNOW"
In response to Reply # 0

sure as shit not know enough to drop a column like this in the wake of the guy's death.

funny how this guy probably tongued favre's asshole with the rest of the football media for reaming the raiders after his father died, but he is like "oh, no, AP should sit this one out!" weird. you have to think peterson had almost no connection to this kid, didn't they only recently find out it was his? either way, it's his life and his decision, i don't think he can be judged for it either way.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 07:32 PM

13. "Not sure how reliable, but this is the latest Ive heard."
In response to Reply # 12

http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/10/14/adrian-peterson-not-father-son-killed/

you have to think peterson had almost no
>connection to this kid, didn't they only recently find out it
>was his?

---------------------------------------------------------

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 07:36 PM

14. "he needs to be fired"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 07:59 PM

15. "WWJND*"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-14-13 07:59 PM by celery77

*What Would Joe Namath Do?

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

thebadnegro
Member since Nov 13th 2006
4028 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 08:34 PM

16. "Yo no bullshit, if I ever see this guy in person..."
In response to Reply # 0

... now obviously if i'm in the wrong place, i.e. around kids or cops i'll have to bide my time... but i'm gonna BITCH SLAP this cat. i'm not a huge AP fan, have never commented on him, and i've never been one to go looking for trouble. but dude crossed the line.

i'm gonna share this with some others i know, and i hope even some of yall will join me, and put this dude on bitch slap watch.

lol as i'm writing, i know this shit sounds rather juvenile, and it's my first reaction (maybe i'll think better of this later, but i highly fuckin doubt it), but some street justice is definitely in order here.

now just to be clear, i'm not calling for anyone to kill this guy or put him in the hospital... just a punch or dumb hard slap to the grill.

driving 105 in a 55??? hanging out at the club after closing time???
what a god awful human being!!!

from what i understand AP never met the kid and didn't even know this it was his son until recently.

bottom line, if i see this mf in NY he gettin stole on.

thebadnegro
4028 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 08:47 PM

17. "Mushnick Photos:"
In response to Reply # 16

https://www.google.com/#q=phil+mushnick+photos+

man this dude ol' as fuck lol. figures. i might have to get my pops for this.

seriously tho man, i'm not gonna go way out my way to find him, but NY is much smaller than it seems. i'm sure i'm not the only person outraged by this. the NY Post probably got Phil some security for the time being,, but i won't be forgetting about this any time soon.

aight yall can go head and clown me now for being *mad as hell*. all good.

dude is so fuckin old tho. idk what i'd really do if i saw him.
SOMETHING. maybe just snatch his glasses off his face and step on them shits. probably spit in his fucking face.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 11:24 PM

20. "NY/NJ media has the BIGGEST DOUCHES"
In response to Reply # 17

Not everyone there is a douche, some cool ass people, but wow the assholes are big and stinky.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

thebadnegro
4028 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 11:59 PM

22. "Just like the cops."
In response to Reply # 20

>Not everyone there is a douche, some cool ass people, but wow
>the assholes are big and stinky.

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 09:04 PM

18. "Inevitable some asshole would write that shit for some attention"
In response to Reply # 0

I especially love how he put baby mama in quotes.

What a dick.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 09:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "My boy just sent me a book called "Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions"
In response to Reply # 0

of a Media Manipulator"

After hearing the overall themes in that book...I had no reaction to this article. These idiots literally write these shits SOLELY to make people mad, which leads to more and more hits and people reading them. Then, they even go troll the comments.

And it's not like that's mind blowing knowledge that y'all don't know...but it just makes me look at all these articles diferent now.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

thebadnegro
4028 posts
Mon Oct-14-13 11:27 PM

21. "I know, dude got me fucked up, right? lol"
In response to Reply # 19

i mean, i know what it is, but damn, we talkin about the death of an innocent child here... and to use it as an opportunity to assassinate this man's character. and then to make it worse, he's got NOTHING, just pullin shit out his ass.. just a few days after the death of his son.

the devil is a mufucka. alive and well in human form.

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Tue Oct-15-13 01:36 AM

23. "If true, isn't that actually *worse*, though?"
In response to Reply # 19

I'm not knocking your perspective and haven't thought about it that much, but it's funny to me to be up in arms if the dude just *genuinely* thinks the time is right to air that he thinks Adrian Peterson still deserves criticism a few days after his kid passed, but if he's only writing this for effect, to make people mad, no reason to be angry in that case?

Seems like the second one is scummier than the first.

soulfunk
Charter member
11088 posts
Tue Oct-15-13 11:17 AM

24. "Doesn't make sense to get mad about him trying to make you mad."
In response to Reply # 23

Because by getting mad and all riled up about it, you're doing EXACTLY what he wants. The best way to beat a troll is to ignore the troll. Posting links to the article, sending it to friends, talking about it, writing in the comments, etc is all stuff that the writer WANTS and encourages more of that type of media.

If junk like that didn't get any clicks then the editors wouldn't even approve the columns for publishing.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2245891 Previous topic | Next topic