Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject*swipes, runs away fast* - Mushnick rips AP
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2245891
2245891, *swipes, runs away fast* - Mushnick rips AP
Posted by Buck, Mon Oct-14-13 09:54 AM
http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/

We in the media — especially those working event broadcasts — have a horrible habit of blindly or wishfully reporting great achievers are additionally blessed: They’re great humans.

Among many others, we did it with Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong. Last year, we began to do it with Adrian Peterson, before, and then after, he was selected the NFL’s MVP. With every big game — 2,037 running yards worth — the media bloated his profile: There runs Superman, a super guy, too.

“We talked with him after practice, and let me tell you this and that about Adrian Peterson.” “Adrian Peterson still finds time to do charity work in the Twin Cities area.” Blah, blah and blah. Good equals goodness.

Thus it was unsurprising Peterson’s downside went ignored. In 2009, he was busted for driving 109 mph in a 55 mph zone. He dismissed that as no big deal, which was doubly disturbing — his older, full brother was killed by a reckless driver.

Last summer, Peterson was in a club when he and friends were informed that it was closing time, past 2 a.m. Apparently, Peterson and pals felt they would decide when it was time to close. The police report noted three cops were needed to subdue Peterson.

He spent the rest of the night in jail, arrested for resisting arrest (a charge that was later dismissed).

Of course, we all have to operate from are our own set of values, our personal sense of right from wrong. Perhaps, given current standards among NFL players — mostly college men, no less — Peterson qualifies as a man of good character.

Still, I’m stuck with what I’ve got. And it’s sickening the NFL’s latest MVP, hours after his son died — allegedly murdered — declared he was “ready to roll,” ready to play football.

Me? I’d be fighting for breath, my knees weak with grief, demanding to know why, who, how. Then, I suspect, I’d seethe with rage, swearing retribution. I even think I’d take off a day or two from work. Maybe a week.

The suspect in the beating murder of Peterson’s 2-year-old is the boyfriend of Peterson’s “baby mama” — now the casual, flippant, detestable and common buzz-phrase for absentee, wham-bam fatherhood.

The accused, Joseph Patterson, previously was hit with domestic assault and abuse charges.

With his resources, how could Peterson, the NFL’s MVP, have allowed his son to remain in such an environment? Did he not know, or not care? Or not care to know? Or not know to care?

Peterson couldn’t have provided his son a better life, a longer life?

Money can’t buy love, but having signed a $96 million deal, he could not have provided his child — apparently his second from a “baby mama” — a safe home?

But given Peterson’s father did hard time for drug money laundering maybe we’re both stuck with the values in which we were born, raised.

On Friday, Peterson said he was “focused” on football. On Sunday, he played. But it’s not as if murder doesn’t now regularly afflict the NFL.

Maybe Peterson’s son is just one more stands-to-reason murder victim, just another child born to just another “baby mama,” one more kid who never had a shot, anyway. Maybe, by now, even if we can’t accept it, we can expect it.
2245905, There's a time and place...
Posted by cantball, Mon Oct-14-13 10:00 AM
And in this event,there's neither

Behold my works,ye mighty
2245925, saw the words baby mama in quotes and stopped reading
Posted by sndesai1, Mon Oct-14-13 10:14 AM
2245927, not even gonna bother to read....not yet at least.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Oct-14-13 10:15 AM
2245937, the best part is he doesn't realize the irony in this sentence.
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Oct-14-13 10:19 AM

>He spent the rest of the night in jail, arrested for resisting
>arrest

the worst part is the rest of the article.

>Me? I’d be fighting for breath, my knees weak with grief,
>demanding to know why, who, how. Then, I suspect, I’d seethe
>with rage, swearing retribution. I even think I’d take off a
>day or two from work. Maybe a week.

lol @ "Me?" that's all this comes down to. you do what you would do. he did what he would do. i was surprised he played, but there's no right or wrong way to grieve. the idea of returning to work to get your mind off of a personal tragedy isn't new. and while we know the te'o story is bullshit now, he was PRAISED for playing a few days after his gf and grandmother died. why? because he played superbly and they won. AP played well, but if he had 200 yards with 3 TDs and they won this article wouldn't exist. it would be all "look at the courage".

>With his resources, how could Peterson, the NFL’s MVP, have
>allowed his son to remain in such an environment? Did he not
>know, or not care? Or not care to know? Or not know to care?

if you don't know how difficult custody battles are, then it's probably wise not to bring it up.

>Money can’t buy love, but having signed a $96 million deal, he
>could not have provided his child — apparently his second from
>a “baby mama” — a safe home?

wait, he's gonna pay her to break up with her awful bf? yeah, that'll go over well.

>
>But given Peterson’s father did hard time for drug money
>laundering maybe we’re both stuck with the values in which we
>were born, raised.

doesn't get much "holier than thou" than that.
2245947, What a piece of shit
Posted by ErnestLee, Mon Oct-14-13 10:23 AM
2245954, that sensationalist shit rag got the clicks it was looking for.
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Oct-14-13 10:28 AM
well done.
2245955, we're swiping NY Post columns now?
Posted by veritas, Mon Oct-14-13 10:29 AM
bringing up dismissed charges, speeding tickets, and AD's dad's criminal history?

what a miserable piece of shit.
2245988, Worried it would be a slow Monday.
Posted by Buck, Mon Oct-14-13 10:49 AM
Woke up kinda pissed off.

Thought I'd spread the misery.
2245972, somehow Mushnick has hit a new low
Posted by rjc27, Mon Oct-14-13 10:40 AM
"I'd be struggling to breathe" Gotta love how some people's 1st reaction in a situation like this is "well, if it was me" STFU! Nobody knows what they'd do in a situation like this...

I also like the argument that he should have taken "a game or two off"

so if he came back in 3 week's that's enough "grieving time" for all the assholes of the world to not judge him?

Everytime a tragedy like this happens in the world, and they happen far too often, we get 2 levels of shit, the act itself, then the reaction from all the trolls on the internet

<< Started From The Bottom

@rob_starrk
2246113, this seems to be the fundamental premise of sportswriting nowadays
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Oct-14-13 01:05 PM
>""well, if it was me"

2246093, Fuck this guy with a cactus plant
Posted by mtbatol, Mon Oct-14-13 12:26 PM
2246393, Pretty low, this info makes you wonder, but it doesnt make you KNOW
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Oct-14-13 06:47 PM
sure as shit not know enough to drop a column like this in the wake of the guy's death.

funny how this guy probably tongued favre's asshole with the rest of the football media for reaming the raiders after his father died, but he is like "oh, no, AP should sit this one out!" weird. you have to think peterson had almost no connection to this kid, didn't they only recently find out it was his? either way, it's his life and his decision, i don't think he can be judged for it either way.
2246413, Not sure how reliable, but this is the latest Ive heard.
Posted by ErnestLee, Mon Oct-14-13 07:32 PM
http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/10/14/adrian-peterson-not-father-son-killed/

you have to think peterson had almost no
>connection to this kid, didn't they only recently find out it
>was his?
2246418, he needs to be fired
Posted by bshelly, Mon Oct-14-13 07:36 PM
2246426, WWJND*
Posted by celery77, Mon Oct-14-13 07:59 PM
*What Would Joe Namath Do?
2246440, Yo no bullshit, if I ever see this guy in person...
Posted by thebadnegro, Mon Oct-14-13 08:34 PM
... now obviously if i'm in the wrong place, i.e. around kids or cops i'll have to bide my time... but i'm gonna BITCH SLAP this cat. i'm not a huge AP fan, have never commented on him, and i've never been one to go looking for trouble. but dude crossed the line.

i'm gonna share this with some others i know, and i hope even some of yall will join me, and put this dude on bitch slap watch.

lol as i'm writing, i know this shit sounds rather juvenile, and it's my first reaction (maybe i'll think better of this later, but i highly fuckin doubt it), but some street justice is definitely in order here.

now just to be clear, i'm not calling for anyone to kill this guy or put him in the hospital... just a punch or dumb hard slap to the grill.

driving 105 in a 55??? hanging out at the club after closing time???
what a god awful human being!!!

from what i understand AP never met the kid and didn't even know this it was his son until recently.

bottom line, if i see this mf in NY he gettin stole on.
2246444, Mushnick Photos:
Posted by thebadnegro, Mon Oct-14-13 08:47 PM
https://www.google.com/#q=phil+mushnick+photos+

man this dude ol' as fuck lol. figures. i might have to get my pops for this.

seriously tho man, i'm not gonna go way out my way to find him, but NY is much smaller than it seems. i'm sure i'm not the only person outraged by this. the NY Post probably got Phil some security for the time being,, but i won't be forgetting about this any time soon.

aight yall can go head and clown me now for being *mad as hell*. all good.

dude is so fuckin old tho. idk what i'd really do if i saw him.
SOMETHING. maybe just snatch his glasses off his face and step on them shits. probably spit in his fucking face.
2246574, NY/NJ media has the BIGGEST DOUCHES
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Oct-14-13 11:24 PM
Not everyone there is a douche, some cool ass people, but wow the assholes are big and stinky.
2246589, Just like the cops.
Posted by thebadnegro, Mon Oct-14-13 11:59 PM
>Not everyone there is a douche, some cool ass people, but wow
>the assholes are big and stinky.
2246452, Inevitable some asshole would write that shit for some attention
Posted by icecold21, Mon Oct-14-13 09:04 PM
I especially love how he put baby mama in quotes.

What a dick.
2246487, My boy just sent me a book called "Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Oct-14-13 09:46 PM
of a Media Manipulator"

After hearing the overall themes in that book...I had no reaction to this article. These idiots literally write these shits SOLELY to make people mad, which leads to more and more hits and people reading them. Then, they even go troll the comments.

And it's not like that's mind blowing knowledge that y'all don't know...but it just makes me look at all these articles diferent now.
2246577, I know, dude got me fucked up, right? lol
Posted by thebadnegro, Mon Oct-14-13 11:27 PM
i mean, i know what it is, but damn, we talkin about the death of an innocent child here... and to use it as an opportunity to assassinate this man's character. and then to make it worse, he's got NOTHING, just pullin shit out his ass.. just a few days after the death of his son.

the devil is a mufucka. alive and well in human form.
2246605, If true, isn't that actually *worse*, though?
Posted by Stringer Bell, Tue Oct-15-13 01:36 AM
I'm not knocking your perspective and haven't thought about it that much, but it's funny to me to be up in arms if the dude just *genuinely* thinks the time is right to air that he thinks Adrian Peterson still deserves criticism a few days after his kid passed, but if he's only writing this for effect, to make people mad, no reason to be angry in that case?

Seems like the second one is scummier than the first.
2246614, Doesn't make sense to get mad about him trying to make you mad.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Oct-15-13 11:17 AM
Because by getting mad and all riled up about it, you're doing EXACTLY what he wants. The best way to beat a troll is to ignore the troll. Posting links to the article, sending it to friends, talking about it, writing in the comments, etc is all stuff that the writer WANTS and encourages more of that type of media.

If junk like that didn't get any clicks then the editors wouldn't even approve the columns for publishing.