Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744847

Subject: "Lightyear (Agnus MacLane, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Jun-08-22 10:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lightyear (Agnus MacLane, 2022)"

Pixar is finally back in theaters!!!

Yo! I wasn't sure for the first 15 minutes, then it hits a montage, and that old Pixar magic hit. I heard sniffles during that montage.

This is the inspiration for the Buzz Lightyear toy in the Toy Story franchise.

Much better than I thought it was going to be.

Can't wait to see this again in IMAX. This us the first animated feature to build a virtual camera sensor for IMAX during production to do the full 1.43 aspect ratio.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Disappointing by Pixar standards
Jun 20th 2022
the premise makes no sense
Jun 20th 2022
      The premise isn’t that complicated…it’s fiction within fiction.
Jun 28th 2022
who the eff was asking for a buzz lightyear movie?
Jun 20th 2022
This plays so much better on a second viewing.
Jun 21st 2022
felt like infinity and was beyond boring
Jun 28th 2022
uhh i enjoyed this
Jun 29th 2022

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Mon Jun-20-22 12:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Disappointing by Pixar standards"
In response to Reply # 0

It was fine, but the premise (explained in a title card at the beginning) is a bit weird. I thought this was gonna be about a real astronaut that exists in the Toy Story universe and inspired the toy, but it’s about a fake astronaut that exists in a movie in the Toy Story universe, and we are watching that movie. So I kept thinking… does this movie actually exist in our universe???

I did like the look of it, although Buzz looks weird as a “real” person. Saw it in IMAX, so the space sequences looked awesome. My main critique is that the plot moves too fast to care about the supporting characters. Once Buzz assembles his team, you’ll be able to guess exactly where the plot is going. Plus they REALLY hammer home what each character’s obstacle is, to the point where I felt nothing once they did overcome their obstacles.

Probably being too harsh on this. The journey is fun enough, it just doesn’t compare to any movie in the Toy Story franchise.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Mon Jun-20-22 10:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the premise makes no sense"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Jun-20-22 10:46 PM by will_5198

>It was fine, but the premise (explained in a title card at
>the beginning) is a bit weird. I thought this was gonna be
>about a real astronaut that exists in the Toy Story universe
>and inspired the toy, but it’s about a fake astronaut that
>exists in a movie in the Toy Story universe, and we are
>watching that movie. So I kept thinking… does this movie
>actually exist in our universe???

the whole point of Buzz Lightyear was a sentient toy that also wasn't self-aware he was a toy...what's next, young Woody saving the family ranch and becoming a rodeo champion?

I realize I am an adult

--------

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Jun-28-22 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "The premise isn’t that complicated…it’s fiction within fiction. "
In response to Reply # 2

It would be like if they came out with an Itchy and Scratchy movie. Itchy and Scratchy aren’t an actual cat and mouse in the Simonson’s universe, they are a fictional show within a fictional show.

None of those changes Buzz Lightyear within the Toy Story universe as a sentient toy. Buzz’s story was already fiction within fiction. That makes more sense to me than if he was a real person without the Toy Story universe. That would be like in our world having a Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin movie about them fighting an intergalactic villain named Emperor Zurg. THAT would be weird…

weaponry
Member since Jan 26th 2006
483 posts
Mon Jun-20-22 11:38 PM

3. "who the eff was asking for a buzz lightyear movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

seriously?

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Jun-21-22 10:20 AM

4. "This plays so much better on a second viewing. "
In response to Reply # 0

Saw it again over the weekend on the 8 story IMAX, and I highly recommend seeing it in IMAX. Truly an experience.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Tue Jun-28-22 07:12 AM

5. "felt like infinity and was beyond boring"
In response to Reply # 0

man are they out of ideas THAT badly?
There wasn't one original idea in the whole flick.

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Wed Jun-29-22 12:03 AM

7. "uhh i enjoyed this "
In response to Reply # 0

some tried and true life lessons simple enough for kids to pick something up but not too heavy that adults get annoyed. teamwork, loss, forgiveness, love, etc. layering them within different contexts. didnt hit like the toy storys but i thought it worked.

potentially biased take cuz lil man was glued. plus they threw a few generations of sistahs in there. was not mad.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744847 Previous topic | Next topic