Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLightyear (Agnus MacLane, 2022)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744847
744847, Lightyear (Agnus MacLane, 2022)
Posted by bwood, Wed Jun-08-22 10:57 PM
Pixar is finally back in theaters!!!

Yo! I wasn't sure for the first 15 minutes, then it hits a montage, and that old Pixar magic hit. I heard sniffles during that montage.

This is the inspiration for the Buzz Lightyear toy in the Toy Story franchise.

Much better than I thought it was going to be.

Can't wait to see this again in IMAX. This us the first animated feature to build a virtual camera sensor for IMAX during production to do the full 1.43 aspect ratio.
744941, Disappointing by Pixar standards
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Jun-20-22 12:55 PM
It was fine, but the premise (explained in a title card at the beginning) is a bit weird. I thought this was gonna be about a real astronaut that exists in the Toy Story universe and inspired the toy, but it’s about a fake astronaut that exists in a movie in the Toy Story universe, and we are watching that movie. So I kept thinking… does this movie actually exist in our universe???

I did like the look of it, although Buzz looks weird as a “real” person. Saw it in IMAX, so the space sequences looked awesome. My main critique is that the plot moves too fast to care about the supporting characters. Once Buzz assembles his team, you’ll be able to guess exactly where the plot is going. Plus they REALLY hammer home what each character’s obstacle is, to the point where I felt nothing once they did overcome their obstacles.

Probably being too harsh on this. The journey is fun enough, it just doesn’t compare to any movie in the Toy Story franchise.
744952, the premise makes no sense
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-20-22 10:46 PM
>It was fine, but the premise (explained in a title card at
>the beginning) is a bit weird. I thought this was gonna be
>about a real astronaut that exists in the Toy Story universe
>and inspired the toy, but it’s about a fake astronaut that
>exists in a movie in the Toy Story universe, and we are
>watching that movie. So I kept thinking… does this movie
>actually exist in our universe???

the whole point of Buzz Lightyear was a sentient toy that also wasn't self-aware he was a toy...what's next, young Woody saving the family ranch and becoming a rodeo champion?

I realize I am an adult
745031, The premise isn’t that complicated…it’s fiction within fiction.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Jun-28-22 08:54 AM
It would be like if they came out with an Itchy and Scratchy movie. Itchy and Scratchy aren’t an actual cat and mouse in the Simonson’s universe, they are a fictional show within a fictional show.

None of those changes Buzz Lightyear within the Toy Story universe as a sentient toy. Buzz’s story was already fiction within fiction. That makes more sense to me than if he was a real person without the Toy Story universe. That would be like in our world having a Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin movie about them fighting an intergalactic villain named Emperor Zurg. THAT would be weird…
744953, who the eff was asking for a buzz lightyear movie?
Posted by weaponry, Mon Jun-20-22 11:38 PM
seriously?
744955, This plays so much better on a second viewing.
Posted by bwood, Tue Jun-21-22 10:20 AM
Saw it again over the weekend on the 8 story IMAX, and I highly recommend seeing it in IMAX. Truly an experience.
745030, felt like infinity and was beyond boring
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Jun-28-22 07:12 AM
man are they out of ideas THAT badly?
There wasn't one original idea in the whole flick.
745042, uhh i enjoyed this
Posted by grey, Wed Jun-29-22 12:03 AM
some tried and true life lessons simple enough for kids to pick something up but not too heavy that adults get annoyed. teamwork, loss, forgiveness, love, etc. layering them within different contexts. didnt hit like the toy storys but i thought it worked.

potentially biased take cuz lil man was glued. plus they threw a few generations of sistahs in there. was not mad.