Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #728760

Subject: "Tuesday was the 50th anniversary of 2001: A Space Odyssey" Previous topic | Next topic
stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tuesday was the 50th anniversary of 2001: A Space Odyssey"

Apparently the US release date was April 3, 1968.

Just a heads-up if you, like me, sometimes need an excuse to go watch something great.

Here's a cutesy story from the Times that got my attention about the anniversary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/watching/2001-a-space-odyssey-references.html

Apparently there's a new print that will be going out to theaters in May. I don't think I've ever seen it on a big screen. Looking forward to it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
There is a nice take on Fresh Air (the April 3rd episode with Albright)
Apr 05th 2018
Just got out of a 70mm IMAX screening on the best IMAX....
Aug 24th 2018
How was the sound?
Aug 24th 2018
Not really.
Aug 24th 2018
Damn, thanks for the heads-up! I'm gonna catch that.
Aug 25th 2018

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "There is a nice take on Fresh Air (the April 3rd episode with Albright)"
In response to Reply # 0

He mostly touched on material that ought to be common knowledge to fans of the movie, but also gave some back history about Kubrick's personal life and the efforts of Clarke who also had a lot of input into the story.

2001 might be the first movie that made me, as pretentious as this sounds, interested in the mechanics of cinema, rather than just being a movie fan.

I saw the movie when I was like 13 or 14 one day and just thought it was overrated and boring because I was expecting Star Wars.

But I saw it a little later, maybe around 18 or 19 and realized that the pacing was a deliberate nod of the director to put the viewer in the immense, overpowering sense of silence in space and bend the sense of scale of time. At that point, I 'got' the movie and was blown away. There was another time when the movie got a re-release in theaters back in 1999 or 2000, when I actually got stoned and saw the movie, which stood out. I might have been the only one in the Castro Theatre in San Francisco watching the movie and it was quite the spectacle on the big screen.

Still one of my favorites. Hopefully, I'll make time to watch it again soon.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Fri Aug-24-18 03:57 PM

2. "Just got out of a 70mm IMAX screening on the best IMAX...."
In response to Reply # 0

...on the East Coast.

Best way I've seen the movie so far.

Saw it in a very bad print last year.

A new print at the Drafthouse earlier this month.

And now an IMAX print. All 70mm. All much better than the last.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Aug-24-18 04:43 PM

3. "How was the sound?"
In response to Reply # 2

Nolan did an interview with Elvis Mitchell on his podcast, The Treatment, where Nolan said he re-mixed the sound from the original negative. Did you notice a difference in the clarity or the sound design during your last viewing?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Fri Aug-24-18 06:03 PM

4. "Not really."
In response to Reply # 3

Some multiple channel play I noticed every once in a while.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Sat Aug-25-18 11:16 AM

5. "Damn, thanks for the heads-up! I'm gonna catch that."
In response to Reply # 2

The only theater in my area playing it is (I think) a "LieMAX" screen, but still...

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #728760 Previous topic | Next topic