Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTuesday was the 50th anniversary of 2001: A Space Odyssey
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=728760
728760, Tuesday was the 50th anniversary of 2001: A Space Odyssey
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Apr-04-18 09:42 AM

Apparently the US release date was April 3, 1968.

Just a heads-up if you, like me, sometimes need an excuse to go watch something great.

Here's a cutesy story from the Times that got my attention about the anniversary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/watching/2001-a-space-odyssey-references.html

Apparently there's a new print that will be going out to theaters in May. I don't think I've ever seen it on a big screen. Looking forward to it.

728783, There is a nice take on Fresh Air (the April 3rd episode with Albright)
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Apr-05-18 04:33 PM
He mostly touched on material that ought to be common knowledge to fans of the movie, but also gave some back history about Kubrick's personal life and the efforts of Clarke who also had a lot of input into the story.

2001 might be the first movie that made me, as pretentious as this sounds, interested in the mechanics of cinema, rather than just being a movie fan.

I saw the movie when I was like 13 or 14 one day and just thought it was overrated and boring because I was expecting Star Wars.

But I saw it a little later, maybe around 18 or 19 and realized that the pacing was a deliberate nod of the director to put the viewer in the immense, overpowering sense of silence in space and bend the sense of scale of time. At that point, I 'got' the movie and was blown away. There was another time when the movie got a re-release in theaters back in 1999 or 2000, when I actually got stoned and saw the movie, which stood out. I might have been the only one in the Castro Theatre in San Francisco watching the movie and it was quite the spectacle on the big screen.

Still one of my favorites. Hopefully, I'll make time to watch it again soon.
731413, Just got out of a 70mm IMAX screening on the best IMAX....
Posted by bwood, Fri Aug-24-18 03:57 PM
...on the East Coast.

Best way I've seen the movie so far.

Saw it in a very bad print last year.

A new print at the Drafthouse earlier this month.

And now an IMAX print. All 70mm. All much better than the last.
731416, How was the sound?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Aug-24-18 04:43 PM
Nolan did an interview with Elvis Mitchell on his podcast, The Treatment, where Nolan said he re-mixed the sound from the original negative. Did you notice a difference in the clarity or the sound design during your last viewing?
731421, Not really.
Posted by bwood, Fri Aug-24-18 06:03 PM
Some multiple channel play I noticed every once in a while.
731425, Damn, thanks for the heads-up! I'm gonna catch that.
Posted by stravinskian, Sat Aug-25-18 11:16 AM

The only theater in my area playing it is (I think) a "LieMAX" screen, but still...