Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #724399

Subject: "Matt Reeves' Batman to NOT be apart of the DCEU" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8618 posts
Wed Aug-23-17 03:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Matt Reeves' Batman to NOT be apart of the DCEU"

http://www.thewrap.com/matt-reeves-batman-dc-extended-universe/

‘The Batman’ Director Matt Reeves: ‘It’s a Standalone, It’s Not Part of the Extended Universe’

Reeves says Warner Bros. approached him with a unique opportunity
Umberto Gonzalez | August 23, 2017 @ 10:49 AM

Matt Reeves, director of the upcoming “The Batman,” says the film won’t be a part of the DC Extended Universe that includes the Justice League and Wonder Woman, but rather a standalone Bat-story.

In an interview with Los Angeles’ KCRW, the filmmaker said: “Well, I have a vision for a way to do something with that character that feels like it resonates with me personally, and a perspective that can grow out into other things. When they approached me, what they said was ‘look, it’s a standalone, it’s not part of the extended universe.'”

The filmmaker has previously said he set aside an original script written by Ben Affleck and DC entertainment president Geoff Johns, and is “starting again” on a completely new take. “No. It’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool,” Reeves told MTV’s Happy Sad Confused podcast last month.

Affleck and Johns wrote their script while the “Argo” Oscar-winner was still set to direct as well as star in “The Batman.”

The concept envisioned by Affleck and Johns featured Deathstroke the Terminator as the main villain, and Joe Manganiello was hired to play the supervillain. Whether that’s still the case remains to be seen, and Manganiello himself recently said he isn’t sure if he’s still in “The Batman.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
These people are dumb as fuck.
Aug 23rd 2017
indeed....
Aug 24th 2017
      yup...seems like they are starting over, but don't want
Aug 24th 2017
Also, two new Joker movies on the way
Aug 24th 2017
The second one is a stand alone movie
Aug 24th 2017
      Yup.
Aug 24th 2017
           Fuck Jared Leto Joker -- wack as shit
Aug 27th 2017
He clarified his statement.
Aug 24th 2017
movie journalism so bad that these threads become outdated
Aug 29th 2017
journalism is bad in general now
Aug 29th 2017
The DC based movies don't interest me.....
Aug 29th 2017
they are damned if they do damned if they don't, though
Aug 30th 2017
      RE: they are damned if they do damned if they don't, though
Aug 30th 2017
Aug 30th 2017
           ^^^^^
Aug 30th 2017
Aug 31st 2017
From today's Hwood Reporter article about Joker flick
Sep 01st 2017
i think it'd be interesting for DC to go the other way
Sep 05th 2017

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44880 posts
Wed Aug-23-17 11:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "These people are dumb as fuck."
In response to Reply # 0

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Thu Aug-24-17 02:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "indeed...."
In response to Reply # 1

It's obvious that WB is trying to hedge in advance of Justice League dropping. If The Batman takes off and Justice League does not, the DCEU will probably fold.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4893 posts
Thu Aug-24-17 11:21 AM

6. "yup...seems like they are starting over, but don't want"
In response to Reply # 3

>It's obvious that WB is trying to hedge in advance of Justice
>League dropping. If The Batman takes off and Justice League
>does not, the DCEU will probably fold.
>---------------------------------------
>
>
>---------------------------------------

to say that before JL drops.

My guess is the rumors about Affleck not being Batman are true now, which is really unfortunate if you ask me.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44723 posts
Thu Aug-24-17 01:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Also, two new Joker movies on the way"
In response to Reply # 0

One with Leto and Margot Robie as Joker and Harley Quinn, directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa from This Is Us.

The other is a Joker "origin" movie, directed by Todd Phillips and produced by Scorcese of all people.

Have no interest at all in the first. I'd say the second sound interesting, but the premise is bizarre. I guess I could go for "The Joker: the Early Years" as long as the didn't try to explain his origin. Just followed him early in his life of crime.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

bwood
8618 posts
Thu Aug-24-17 06:49 AM

4. "The second one is a stand alone movie"
In response to Reply # 2

WB is making stand alone DC films each with its own continuity: http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=724386&mesg_id=724386&page=

I like the team involved, but The Joker doesn't need an origin story.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Aug-24-17 09:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Yup. "
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Aug-24-17 10:00 AM by BigReg

>WB is making stand alone DC films each with its own
>continuity:
>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=724386&mesg_id=724386&page=
>
>I like the team involved, but The Joker doesn't need an origin
>story.

It seems blatantly anti the character too...Nolan's joker kept on switching his origin story during that movie because he got the point; what makes the joker scary is the fact he seems like an almost supernatural representation of mankind's id.

Its why his origin in the comics change depending on who's writing... NOT to flesh the character out but to help whatever plot point/story they are working on...giving him an origin story just because defeats the purpose of the character and makes him less scary

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6382 posts
Sun Aug-27-17 10:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Fuck Jared Leto Joker -- wack as shit"
In response to Reply # 5

however,

the best part about the Killing Joke to me was the joker origin story. i'm not a comic book head so i enjoyed this new take on it.

it would demystify him somewhat, but in the Killing Joke it wasn't like he had the worst upbringing ever. There was tragedy, but not like some Dexter "from infancy" shit.

>>WB is making stand alone DC films each with its own
>>continuity:
>>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=724386&mesg_id=724386&page=
>>
>>I like the team involved, but The Joker doesn't need an
>origin
>>story.
>
>It seems blatantly anti the character too...Nolan's joker kept
>on switching his origin story during that movie because he got
>the point; what makes the joker scary is the fact he seems
>like an almost supernatural representation of mankind's id.
>
>Its why his origin in the comics change depending on who's
>writing... NOT to flesh the character out but to help whatever
>plot point/story they are working on...giving him an origin
>story just because defeats the purpose of the character and
>makes him less scary

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8101 posts
Thu Aug-24-17 02:20 PM

7. "He clarified his statement."
In response to Reply # 0

It's the same universe. He just meant that it's a standalone story. No setup of other movies. No Flash cameo. No Wonder Woman watching Aquaman videos in her email. Just Batman doing Batman shit.

Same universe, though.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6508 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 03:49 PM

9. "movie journalism so bad that these threads become outdated"
In response to Reply # 0

garbage in a matter of hours

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 06:43 PM

10. "journalism is bad in general now"
In response to Reply # 9

it's regrettable that more interesting and potentially longer lasting topics aren't of interest to the broader group on this board

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 07:56 PM

11. "The DC based movies don't interest me....."
In response to Reply # 0

...just because of the disjointed, convoluted crap they keep pulling. If they're gonna compete with Marvel, why not keep things cohesive? This is dumb.

Since 1976

Stadiq
4893 posts
Wed Aug-30-17 09:59 AM

12. "they are damned if they do damned if they don't, though"
In response to Reply # 11

If they did things more like Marvel, a lot of folks would just accuse them of being unoriginal, etc.

I'll never understand why they didn't just keep building on what Nolan started.

It was acclaimed, it was popular, etc.

Different directors could have taken over, and you can always just recast Batman and even slowly recast other characters.

Use THAT universe to introduce new heroes, etc.

**I mean, I know that is what Marvel did but at least they wouldn't have been so behind.

Also, Nolan kind of f*cked them with that ending.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Aug-30-17 10:32 AM

13. "RE: they are damned if they do damned if they don't, though"
In response to Reply # 12

>I'll never understand why they didn't just keep building on
>what Nolan started.
>
>It was acclaimed, it was popular, etc.
>
>
>Different directors could have taken over, and you can always
>just recast Batman and even slowly recast other characters.
>
>
>Use THAT universe to introduce new heroes, etc.

when nolan worked on man of steel, i thought it *was* a continuation. warners should have backed the money truck up for christian bale to appear in justice league, a la RDJ not doing more iron man movies but appearing in all of the other MCU movies, and tried to keep nolan involved at least in an advisory capacity. yes, the dark knight trilogy was dour, but that was the direction DCEU went anyway, only to try to "fix it" with reshoots, to mixed results.

>Also, Nolan kind of f*cked them with that ending.

i appreciated the finality of the trilogy and wouldn't want them to treat it like it never happened, but that doesn't mean they had to start over, which they ended up doing for whatever reason. i think they would have been better served maintaining continuity with and building on TDK trilogy. i also think they should have kept going with green lantern and that another superman movie between man of steel and dawn of justice would have helped. what they have now doesn't quite gel.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Aug-30-17 06:50 PM

14. "RE: they are damned if they do damned if they don't, though"
In response to Reply # 12

>
>If they did things more like Marvel, a lot of folks would just
>accuse them of being unoriginal, etc.

If the movies were actually good nobody would have said shit about originality.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

bwood
8618 posts
Wed Aug-30-17 07:37 PM

15. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 14

Agree one hunnid percent.

Stadiq
4893 posts
Thu Aug-31-17 10:04 AM

16. "RE: they are damned if they do damned if they don't, though"
In response to Reply # 14

>>
>>If they did things more like Marvel, a lot of folks would
>just
>>accuse them of being unoriginal, etc.
>
>If the movies were actually good nobody would have said shit
>about originality.
>

Fair, but you could argue the same now, of course. If people liked the movies more, the format wouldn't matter.

I should put a disclaimer here that I'm not a comic book head, and I think the Marvel movies are pretty over-rated. And, as someone who doesn't have a dog in this race, it just seems folks are itching to sh!t on DC.

I also don't doubt Disney's marketing and investment in influencing public opinion. Some of these "critic" scores are inflated like sh!t. Star Wars included.

Anyway, at the end of the day like I said they should have just built on what Nolan started.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Fri Sep-01-17 05:32 PM

17. "From today's Hwood Reporter article about Joker flick"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/leonardo-dicaprio-joker-movie-warner-bros-wants-actor-role-1034392

SWIPE

Now, however, Warners wants to branch off with stand-alone movies that are unconnected to that version of the DC world. The new movies will have non-traditional takes on the heroes and villains of DC, and hopefully, attract actors and filmmakers who don’t typically toil in the comic-book movie world. War for the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves is developing a Batman stand-alone that, according to sources, will not star Ben Affleck, who plays the caped crusader in the DC Universe movies (Warners and Affleck have denied he is being replaced). The plan is to launch a separate label for these projects to distinguish them from the rest of the DC films. (Warners executives are acutely aware of the risks of audience confusion.)

END SWIPE

They'll announce Affleck is out after Justice League, I guess.

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Tue Sep-05-17 09:43 AM

18. "i think it'd be interesting for DC to go the other way"
In response to Reply # 0

they should actively pursue a NON-cohesive cinematic universe and just say they're embracing the comic book roots of the property.

everyone is used to comics switching writers and artists; i would love to see different directors and actors take on the same roles, just tackling different storylines (they obviously have a shit ton to choose from).

and if one movie happens to be a huge hit, maybe let that team try again.

but clearly, Warner Bros needs to give up on the extended universe shit. they've already fucked it up and they're only a few movies in.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #724399 Previous topic | Next topic