Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #724238

Subject: "Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story " Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8019 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 02:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story "

If Daldry doesn't do it, hopefully, whoever does is able to do their thing.

'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

Oscar-nominated filmmaker Stephen Daldry is in early talks for the film, which would center on the Jedi Master who has been played by both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor.

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ new hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among others.

In the original Star Wars trilogy, Kenobi was at first a desert-dwelling and war-weary hermit who later proved to be a wise and powerful warrior, brandishing a light saber. He was briefly a mentor to a young Luke before being cut down by Darth Vader, his former pupil. Alec Guinness played Kenobi, garnering him an Oscar nomination to boot.

The character got star treatment in the George Lucas-directed prequels which told the origin of Vader and his betrayal of Kenobi and the Jedis. McGregor has said he would be open to playing the character again. Sources stress, however, that since there is no script, no actor is attached.

Daldry hails from the theater world and made his feature debut with Billy Elliot, which netted him his first directing Oscar nomination. He followed that up with searing dramas The Hours and The Reader, which also netted him directing nominations.

He most recently directed episodes of Netflix’s period drama The Crown, which put him into play in this Emmy season.

He is repped by CAA.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So awesome
Aug 17th 2017
Ehh...im torn
Aug 17th 2017
I want more rogue one type films and bob a fete origins.
Aug 17th 2017
RE: Ehh...im torn
Aug 17th 2017
I think we can safely assume Obi will be young and pre-luke
Aug 18th 2017
      yeah definitely think it is pre-anakin
Aug 18th 2017
      RE: I think we can safely assume Obi will be young and pre-luke
Aug 18th 2017
i feel you, but
Aug 18th 2017
I want a Darth Maul movie
Aug 18th 2017
lol..let him be Little Wing
Aug 18th 2017
they are milking the old loved characters for all they are worth
Aug 18th 2017
just redo the prequels then
Aug 18th 2017
      dont even fuck with the prequels
Aug 19th 2017
I'd like to see McGregor do the role with a good director/script
Aug 19th 2017
Yo so Yoda, Jabba and Boba Fett are all in development
Aug 19th 2017
i agree with all of this. A bounty hunter or criminal underworld
Aug 19th 2017
Given the choice, I'd prefer Jaba/Fett > Yoda >> Han >>> Obi Wan
Aug 19th 2017
Not using McGregor feels like leaving money on the table
Aug 19th 2017
I'm serious about McGregor
Aug 20th 2017
I doubt separate Boba Fett and Jabba movies are a thing
Aug 20th 2017
      It seems multiple reports confirm 7 different spin-offs
Aug 20th 2017
           I agree I just don't think they do new shit as fast as some people want
Aug 20th 2017
                fair enough. I really hope we get
Aug 20th 2017
                     I wonder how much of those 7 things in development
Aug 20th 2017
                          Possibly.
Aug 20th 2017
I wish we could get a new Star Wars story one day
Aug 21st 2017
^^^^^^^
Aug 21st 2017
Exactly. I think it would be even easier for them to do also.
Aug 21st 2017
      I have a feeling that would be the new saga 10,11, 12.
Aug 21st 2017
Looks like this will live as a Disney+ series.
Aug 15th 2019
Confirmed last night at D23 as a Disney+ series
Aug 24th 2019
Deborah Chow to direct
Sep 27th 2019

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20104 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 03:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

----------

IG @h_n_z

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 03:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Ehh...im torn"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-17-17 03:47 PM by BigReg

On one hand the Disney-Wars have all been solid ass sci-fi fantasy flicks and even in this comic book age of movies it's a rarity. Plus Macgregor/cartoon Obi-Wan was a shining light during those pre-quel times

On the other, I am still not sold on the fact that these stories need to be told; seems to be blatant fanboyism...we've got arguably the richest movie universe ever....and we are still effectively hanging out with the same handful of characters over and over again. We gonna visit young Leah next? Perhaps Seth Rogan directing a comedy based on Cheers and the Cantina? A Netflix drama on who designed Boba Fett's helmet in the empire?

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5102 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 07:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I want more rogue one type films and bob a fete origins."
In response to Reply # 2

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
3792 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 07:17 PM

4. "RE: Ehh...im torn"
In response to Reply # 2

same.. if this takes place between 3 and 4, isn't he supposed to just hang around and watch over Luke? How fun is that? I'm sure they will have him go on some adventure but he says in IV he hasn't gone by Obi-Wan in a long, long time. I'd rather have new character stories as well, gonna have X-Men type timelines pretty soon.

justin_scott
Charter member
19829 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 02:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I think we can safely assume Obi will be young and pre-luke"
In response to Reply # 4

probably even pre-anakin.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5102 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 04:07 PM

9. "yeah definitely think it is pre-anakin"
In response to Reply # 5

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
3792 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 07:13 PM

11. "RE: I think we can safely assume Obi will be young and pre-luke"
In response to Reply # 5

would be better. I saw rumors of getting Ewan McGregor back and while he played him well, just don't think there is much story to tell for his age without screwing things up.

justin_scott
Charter member
19829 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 02:10 AM

6. "i feel you, but"
In response to Reply # 2

i'd like to get to know the characters that have been introduced, first. all we know about any of them is surface level.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
16904 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 09:23 AM

7. "I want a Darth Maul movie"
In response to Reply # 0

rdhull
Charter member
31933 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 12:42 PM

8. "lol..let him be Little Wing"
In response to Reply # 7

>

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56566 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 06:03 PM

10. "they are milking the old loved characters for all they are worth"
In response to Reply # 0

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
3894 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 09:33 PM

12. "just redo the prequels then"
In response to Reply # 10

I'd be interested in revisiting the character in that context- give us actual good movies for that story (should have been a slam dunk)

If not?

Move on.

As far as milking old characters...I think, at least for now, they can put "Star Wars" on just about anything and make money.

I want to see an Obi Wan origin movie as much I want to see a Solo origin movie...oh wait.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56566 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 01:36 AM

13. "dont even fuck with the prequels"
In response to Reply # 12

let them shits be forgotten and die.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 03:59 AM

14. "I'd like to see McGregor do the role with a good director/script"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

bwood
8019 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 10:03 AM

15. "Yo so Yoda, Jabba and Boba Fett are all in development"
In response to Reply # 0

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/08/17/star-wars-boba-fett-yoda-movie-standalones/

Look, they've done a dope episode featuring Obi-Wan in Rebels, so you can do an Obi-Wan movie on Tattoine that takes place between 3 and 4. I think they even do it in the comics. Plus, Ewan McGregor doesn't come back then all my interest is zapped out of this.

Now with all that said, I gotta agree that the galaxy is starting to feel smaller and smaller with blatant cash grabs.

No way should there be a fucking Boba Fett movie. The only reason he was ever popular was cause he looked cool. And the prequels destroyed all mystique he had. Dude got taken out by a blind guy by accident.

And I like the idea of a Star Wars movie exploring the criminal underworld of the galaxy, but with Jabba? I don't dunno. There's a lot of ways this could fall flat on its face.

Honestly, some spin-offs I'd like to see is the aforementioned criminal underworld movie or a movie on how the first Jedi came to be and/or the Old Republic.

soulfunk
Charter member
9007 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 02:03 PM

16. "i agree with all of this. A bounty hunter or criminal underworld "
In response to Reply # 15

film would be ideal. You could have both Boba Fett and Jabba in that, along with others that we saw in the Clone Wars show like Cad Bane, the Black Sun, etc.

We definitely don't need to see a Yoda film. I'd much rather see them do something from another era like an Old Republic film featuring Revan, or a film about the Mandalorian Wars.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
16904 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 11:48 PM

18. "Given the choice, I'd prefer Jaba/Fett > Yoda >> Han >>> Obi Wan "
In response to Reply # 16

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 04:20 PM

17. "Not using McGregor feels like leaving money on the table"

I bet there will be an official casting announcement by the end of the year.

bwood
8019 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 05:30 AM

21. "I'm serious about McGregor"
In response to Reply # 17

If he doesn't get casted I'm good on this film b.

Dude was literally a shining star in the prequels. I mean dude spent 20 minutes in one of these riding a giant lizard chasing an asthmatic robot (I still have no idea who he is). He earned the right to be in his own movie.

Heinz
20104 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 12:47 AM

19. "I doubt separate Boba Fett and Jabba movies are a thing "
Sun Aug-20-17 12:52 AM by Heinz

There's been rumours of expanding on that tv show/game idea thaf had partial development (game wise) where they explore that underworld of bounty hunters and the crime world. Atleast I hope tbats what these reports mean, I don't want a Yoda movie at all.

I don't think they are milking characters but it only makes sense business wise and story wise.to keep exploring the current world built till this new generation of kids is even more onto the lore of star wars before doing the fam service we as adults want by doing new characters and doing things like The Old Republic. They have shown they are willing to d othose things but little by little.

----------

IG @h_n_z

bwood
8019 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 05:22 AM

20. "It seems multiple reports confirm 7 different spin-offs"
In response to Reply # 19

Are in development.

And seeing how there's a Han Solo movie as well as an Obi-Wan movie, I don't put anything past Disney.

And to me and a lot of people, it seems like cash grabs. Almost all of these characters have been explored already. Like I said there's some potential for a Ben movie, but let's wait and see if they can execute it properly.

If Star Wars wants to survive, they're gonna have to do new things with new characters and stop trotting out the old ones and playing it safe. To me all these spin-offs with old characters is fan service. Especially since Han, Yoda, Boba, and Jabba don't need movies

Heinz
20104 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 01:08 PM

22. "I agree I just don't think they do new shit as fast as some people want "
In response to Reply # 20

Or back to back with new characters. Damn 7 new ones in development, I hope they don't go through witbobafet bobafett and Jabba. I disagree with the Han movie tho i still think it was a good idea
----------

IG @h_n_z

bwood
8019 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 01:47 PM

23. "fair enough. I really hope we get"
In response to Reply # 22

the best possible product if these do go through.

Heinz
20104 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 04:02 PM

24. "I wonder how much of those 7 things in development"
In response to Reply # 23

Are television, rumours were they wanted to really focus on tv/streaming shows. Like they might wait to do 10-11-12 if they even end up doing those. And the announcment of Disney pulling out of their Netflix deals in the future after buying the streaming company responsible for (MLB Tv) it seems to be some truth to those rumours of doing that.

----------

IG @h_n_z

bwood
8019 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 05:19 PM

25. "Possibly."
In response to Reply # 24

Nm

BigWorm
Charter member
10365 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 06:44 AM

26. "I wish we could get a new Star Wars story one day"
In response to Reply # 0

As in, an original story. Not the backstory to existing characters. Not one that connects one of the pre-existing movies to another.

I mean a totally new story set in the same universe with new characters are nothing to do with the Starwalkers.

I'm going to go see the Last Jedi and I'm going to see the Han Solo movie and I'll see the next few until they run the franchise into the ground, but I really wish they'd go off in a new direction instead of mining the old movies for every ounce of gold.

bwood
8019 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 07:58 AM

27. "^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 26

There's so much potential in exploring this galaxy and instead, we keep getting the same ole same ole.

They proved they can make us care about new characters, do new things now too.

soulfunk
Charter member
9007 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 08:25 AM

28. "Exactly. I think it would be even easier for them to do also."
In response to Reply # 26

One of the problems with what they've been doing with films that cross over into the existing movies or have backstory for those characters is that they have to tip toe around current cannon. Retconning some stuff, stretch explanations for other stuff, etc. If they would do a completely new story they wouldn't have to worry about inconsistencies or having people nitpick the circumstances.

They could either set a film thousands of years before the original trilogy, or they could make a true side story during the same time period that has nothing to do with the Empire/Rebellion dynamic.

I do think they are planning on doing something in the Old Republic era at some point. Since the new cannon has been established, they haven't even touched that era - not with film, books, even video games. If they weren't planning on doing something there then it would be no big deal to have someone write a cannon Old Republic novel or develop a new cannon video game or something. But they seem to be saving that era for something specific - maybe a movie or a TV show.

If they wanted to do a side story movie in the same era, then as I mentioned above it needs to not be about the Empire/Rebellion galactic civil war plot. They have plenty of options - a criminal underworld film could fit that criteria. They could do a political thriller film set on a planet that is neutral. They could do something like that on Mandalore, or some new planet we've never heard of.

They could also do a film about an unknown Jedi who is in isolation after the Jedi purge. Maybe an "ex-Jedi" who completely stopped using the force because he lost his faith and also to keep from being detected. But stuff ends up happening, and he has to take up arms. Maybe he even decides to seek out the Rebel Alliance but gets killed off at the end of the film before he can make his presence known.

I don't know, but there are TONS of options, and I really don't want to see a film about what Boba Fett eats for breakfast.

Heinz
20104 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 11:43 AM

29. "I have a feeling that would be the new saga 10,11, 12."
In response to Reply # 28

But I think thats on hold till they figure out what else they explore in this world, ie Old Republic.

I think would be a good branching out starting point would be the outter galaxy where Thrawn was at before Palpatine recruited him. Having him as the main villain for some new batch of characters out there would be cool to see. Plus to the casual or only movie watches Thrawn is not known to any of them
----------

IG @h_n_z

bwood
8019 posts
Thu Aug-15-19 09:50 PM

30. "Looks like this will live as a Disney+ series."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-talks-an-obi-wan-kenobi-series-disney-1201364

bwood
8019 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 08:11 AM

31. "Confirmed last night at D23 as a Disney+ series"
In response to Reply # 0

Ewan back!!!

bwood
8019 posts
Fri Sep-27-19 07:35 PM

32. "Deborah Chow to direct"
In response to Reply # 31

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1177697219027193856?s=19

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #724238 Previous topic | Next topic