Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #694104

Subject: "your real Ghostbusters sequel is happening (Tatum stars. Russo bros)" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"your real Ghostbusters sequel is happening (Tatum stars. Russo bros)"

http://deadline.com/2015/03/ghostbusters-channing-tatum-joe-and-anthony-russo-drew-pearce-ivan-reitman-dan-aykroyd-1201388917/

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is broadening the Ghostbusters franchise and the first order of business will be a male-driven action-centric comedy that is a counterpart to the Paul Feig-directed film that will start production in June. The studio is simultaneously forming Ghostcorps, a new production company whose principals include original Ghostbusters architects Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd; they will have offices at Sony with the mission to scare up branding opportunities based on the 1984 comedy classic.

Reitman is putting the male-driven film with a powerhouse brain trust: Captain America: The Winter Soldier helmers Joe and Anthony Russo, who just made a first-look Sony deal and are looking to direct and produce this; Drew Pearce, the Iron Man 3 and Mission: Impossible 5 scribe who’ll write; and Channing Tatum and his partners Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan, who are attached to produce. The hope is for Tatum to play one of the Ghostbusters in this film. Given his versatility and franchising success in 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike, he’s a good cornerstone to launch another Ghostbusters series.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
... "real" though?
Mar 09th 2015
Is either project a direct sequel?
Mar 09th 2015
I don't see how anyone could look at the female cast
Mar 09th 2015
RE: ... "real" though?
Mar 10th 2015
      http://i.imgur.com/XjF3SC0.gif
Mar 10th 2015
      perfect.
Mar 10th 2015
      . . .
Mar 10th 2015
Why are they doing this?
Mar 09th 2015
what a big fucking mess :(
Mar 09th 2015
This makes no sense
Mar 09th 2015
wow...way to show confidence in the all female cast Sony...just wow :(
Mar 09th 2015
they can fix this by adding Kaitlin Olson to the cast.
Mar 09th 2015
this has bad press waiting to happen
Mar 09th 2015
Annual Ghostbusters movies just like nobody wanted
Mar 10th 2015
Some clarification *link*
Mar 10th 2015
it still sounds "ugh" worthy
Mar 10th 2015
don't worry, we're just planning 4 movies before making 1
Mar 10th 2015
Still don't see this working out
Mar 10th 2015
wtf?
Mar 10th 2015
Hmm.
Mar 10th 2015
Sony has a huge boner for universes a la MCU....
Mar 10th 2015
to think this all started as a Dan Akryod daydream...
Mar 10th 2015
this has Blues Bros 2000 written all over it
Mar 10th 2015
question.. how many of you would 180 on this if Bill gave his nod?
Mar 10th 2015
nod as in stars in all 3 or 4 or however many they think they'll make?
Mar 10th 2015
      He means nod of approval b.
Mar 10th 2015
           pfft
Mar 10th 2015

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "... "real" though?"
In response to Reply # 0

The Feig joint sounds way realer than this.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Staring At Insanity
Member since Jan 18th 2010
271 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 06:37 PM

2. "Is either project a direct sequel?"
In response to Reply # 1

>The Feig joint sounds way realer than this.

I thought Feig was doing a reboot.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I don't see how anyone could look at the female cast"
In response to Reply # 1

and be unhappy with the choices.

jswerve386
Member since Jun 25th 2007
8979 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:26 PM

18. "RE: ... "real" though?"
In response to Reply # 1

yea.. real.

not some bullshit feminist jump along.. Why dont they just make their own series about chicks chasing ghosts. Id see it, maybe.

Same shit with the uproar about making Thor a woman.. Fuck that and I hope that shit fails.

yupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyup

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:31 PM

19. "http://i.imgur.com/XjF3SC0.gif"
In response to Reply # 18

http://i.imgur.com/XjF3SC0.gif

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:42 PM

25. "perfect."
In response to Reply # 19

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. ". . ."
In response to Reply # 18

http://www.thewebsiteofdoom.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/HemanHater.jpg

fuck you.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 06:39 PM

3. "Why are they doing this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 07:10 PM

4. "what a big fucking mess :("
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 07:13 PM

5. "This makes no sense"
In response to Reply # 0

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 08:22 PM

6. "wow...way to show confidence in the all female cast Sony...just wow :("
In response to Reply # 0

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 09:50 PM

8. "they can fix this by adding Kaitlin Olson to the cast. "
In response to Reply # 6

------------------
One Hundred.

LES
Member since Oct 17th 2006
4533 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 09:30 PM

7. "this has bad press waiting to happen"
In response to Reply # 0

Sony stay screwin up

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:44 AM

10. "Annual Ghostbusters movies just like nobody wanted"
In response to Reply # 0

I like all the talent involved in both flicks but the whole thing strikes me as Sony grasping at straws to compete with Disney.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 06:14 AM

11. "Some clarification *link*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://badassdigest.com/2015/03/09/chris-pratt-could-join-the-ghostbusters-expanded-universe/

After I read Mike Fleming's Deadline piece about the new 'guy-centric' Ghostbusters I knew something was weird. Either Sony had fucked up the franchise or they had fucked up the announcement - only one of those two things made sense. So I got in touch with some of the Sony folks I know and started asking questions. What I found out was pretty incredible.

First of all, this new Ghostbusters movie isn't all-male. It isn't 'guy-centric.' I spoke to three different people who were baffled as to where that came from. But it does have some guys at the center - the concept here is a movie that spins out of the chemistry between real-life friends Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt. This isn't a case of 'everybody wants Chris Pratt in their movie,' this is a case of these two guys being pals and wanting to make this movie together.

As for the movie itself: it's complementary to the Paul Feig film. This isn't a sudden reboot or a change of course. The plan is to have this new Ghostbusters universe feel big and have the kind of tonal variety that allows there to be a legitimate shared universe, not just a whole bunch of franchises running in tandem. What's more, the hope is that after Feig's Ghostbusters is out and after Tatum's Ghostsbusters is out the next film will see the two teams co-mingling, Avengers-style. This is planned out, and has been getting planned out for some time - it's not a sudden change of heart at Sony. The idea is that this shared universe will allow Feig to do his thing, Reitman and the Russos and Drew Pearce to do their thing, and for them to cross over when they must. I was kind of confused by the ending of the Feig/Katie Dippold script, but knowing that there's a planned universe growing out of that ending everything makes a lot more sense now.

That's three films - in my subhead I mentioned four. What I'm hearing is that this new Ghostbusters universe will also have a prequel movie, which will take place before either of these two announced films. When before? Beats me - but it will have nothing to do with the original Ghostbusters characters. As Reitman said in his Deadline interview, the rights issues with those characters are too complex (the human characters, anyway. Expect some famous ghosts to show up). I don't know when this prequel is set - relatively recent or colonial times or what - but it's all part of the larger picture.

I think the key here is that while it's the Ghostbusters universe, not every movie has to be about people busting ghosts. Talking to my sources it's become clear that 'Ghostbusters' is going to be the catch-all umbrella for a world of supernatural FX comedies. That world will truly become clear in the team-up film. If the plan for almost yearly Ghostbusters movies holds, these four - the all-female, the Channing/Pratt, the crossover and the prequel - definitely provide a base to rotate annually between tones and concepts.

Is it going to work? Now that I know the Tatum/Russo/Pearce movie isn't a boys-only film, and now that I know that there's some actual planning going on in terms of how these films interact, I feel pretty good about it all. Do I feel good enough to lose the Russos from Infinity War? Here's hoping that there's a way they can keep one foot in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 07:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "it still sounds "ugh" worthy"
In response to Reply # 11

...i'm down for a Pratt/Tatum collab, but not...this...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:12 AM

13. "don't worry, we're just planning 4 movies before making 1"

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:20 AM

14. "Still don't see this working out"

Everything doesn't need an expanded universe.

------

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:37 PM

23. "wtf?"

lol

fuck you.

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:01 AM

15. "Hmm."
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone else remember the second lesser Ghostbusters cartoon where an ape was one of the Ghostbusters? This dual Ghostbusters movie crap feels like that lesser Ghostbusters cartoon.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:22 AM

16. "Sony has a huge boner for universes a la MCU...."
In response to Reply # 0

.....but erectile dysfunction at the actual execution.

This sounds just as bad as the planned Spideyverse announcement before the Marvel partnership.

I still don't want to see a Sinister Six flick. Nor will I spend my money trying to see two different Ghostbuster sequels/sidequels/offshoots/compliments.

Unless they're good. Which outside of the all female one sound like they won't be.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:06 PM

17. "to think this all started as a Dan Akryod daydream..."
In response to Reply # 0

...Hollywood huh?

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:47 PM

20. "this has Blues Bros 2000 written all over it"
In response to Reply # 0

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:57 PM

21. "question.. how many of you would 180 on this if Bill gave his nod?"
In response to Reply # 0

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:14 PM

24. "nod as in stars in all 3 or 4 or however many they think they'll make?"
In response to Reply # 21

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 05:00 PM

26. "He means nod of approval b."
In response to Reply # 24

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 05:17 PM

27. "pfft"
In response to Reply # 26

>

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #694104 Previous topic | Next topic