Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectyour real Ghostbusters sequel is happening (Tatum stars. Russo bros)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=694104
694104, your real Ghostbusters sequel is happening (Tatum stars. Russo bros)
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Mar-09-15 05:46 PM
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ghostbusters-channing-tatum-joe-and-anthony-russo-drew-pearce-ivan-reitman-dan-aykroyd-1201388917/

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is broadening the Ghostbusters franchise and the first order of business will be a male-driven action-centric comedy that is a counterpart to the Paul Feig-directed film that will start production in June. The studio is simultaneously forming Ghostcorps, a new production company whose principals include original Ghostbusters architects Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd; they will have offices at Sony with the mission to scare up branding opportunities based on the 1984 comedy classic.

Reitman is putting the male-driven film with a powerhouse brain trust: Captain America: The Winter Soldier helmers Joe and Anthony Russo, who just made a first-look Sony deal and are looking to direct and produce this; Drew Pearce, the Iron Man 3 and Mission: Impossible 5 scribe who’ll write; and Channing Tatum and his partners Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan, who are attached to produce. The hope is for Tatum to play one of the Ghostbusters in this film. Given his versatility and franchising success in 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike, he’s a good cornerstone to launch another Ghostbusters series.
694106, ... "real" though?
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-09-15 06:13 PM
The Feig joint sounds way realer than this.
694109, Is either project a direct sequel?
Posted by Staring At Insanity, Mon Mar-09-15 06:37 PM
>The Feig joint sounds way realer than this.

I thought Feig was doing a reboot.
694126, I don't see how anyone could look at the female cast
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Mar-09-15 11:15 PM
and be unhappy with the choices.
694156, RE: ... "real" though?
Posted by jswerve386, Tue Mar-10-15 02:26 PM
yea.. real.

not some bullshit feminist jump along.. Why dont they just make their own series about chicks chasing ghosts. Id see it, maybe.

Same shit with the uproar about making Thor a woman.. Fuck that and I hope that shit fails.
694158, http://i.imgur.com/XjF3SC0.gif
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Mar-10-15 02:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XjF3SC0.gif
694172, perfect.
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Mar-10-15 04:42 PM
694163, . . .
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Mar-10-15 03:34 PM
http://www.thewebsiteofdoom.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/HemanHater.jpg
694110, Why are they doing this?
Posted by spades, Mon Mar-09-15 06:39 PM
694111, what a big fucking mess :(
Posted by Hellyeah, Mon Mar-09-15 07:10 PM
694112, This makes no sense
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Mar-09-15 07:13 PM
694117, wow...way to show confidence in the all female cast Sony...just wow :(
Posted by DJ007, Mon Mar-09-15 08:22 PM

Posted by Castro, Mon Mar-09-15 09:50 PM
694121, this has bad press waiting to happen
Posted by LES, Mon Mar-09-15 09:30 PM
Sony stay screwin up
694129, Annual Ghostbusters movies just like nobody wanted
Posted by mrshow, Tue Mar-10-15 03:44 AM
I like all the talent involved in both flicks but the whole thing strikes me as Sony grasping at straws to compete with Disney.
694130, Some clarification *link*
Posted by bwood, Tue Mar-10-15 06:14 AM
http://badassdigest.com/2015/03/09/chris-pratt-could-join-the-ghostbusters-expanded-universe/

After I read Mike Fleming's Deadline piece about the new 'guy-centric' Ghostbusters I knew something was weird. Either Sony had fucked up the franchise or they had fucked up the announcement - only one of those two things made sense. So I got in touch with some of the Sony folks I know and started asking questions. What I found out was pretty incredible.

First of all, this new Ghostbusters movie isn't all-male. It isn't 'guy-centric.' I spoke to three different people who were baffled as to where that came from. But it does have some guys at the center - the concept here is a movie that spins out of the chemistry between real-life friends Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt. This isn't a case of 'everybody wants Chris Pratt in their movie,' this is a case of these two guys being pals and wanting to make this movie together.

As for the movie itself: it's complementary to the Paul Feig film. This isn't a sudden reboot or a change of course. The plan is to have this new Ghostbusters universe feel big and have the kind of tonal variety that allows there to be a legitimate shared universe, not just a whole bunch of franchises running in tandem. What's more, the hope is that after Feig's Ghostbusters is out and after Tatum's Ghostsbusters is out the next film will see the two teams co-mingling, Avengers-style. This is planned out, and has been getting planned out for some time - it's not a sudden change of heart at Sony. The idea is that this shared universe will allow Feig to do his thing, Reitman and the Russos and Drew Pearce to do their thing, and for them to cross over when they must. I was kind of confused by the ending of the Feig/Katie Dippold script, but knowing that there's a planned universe growing out of that ending everything makes a lot more sense now.

That's three films - in my subhead I mentioned four. What I'm hearing is that this new Ghostbusters universe will also have a prequel movie, which will take place before either of these two announced films. When before? Beats me - but it will have nothing to do with the original Ghostbusters characters. As Reitman said in his Deadline interview, the rights issues with those characters are too complex (the human characters, anyway. Expect some famous ghosts to show up). I don't know when this prequel is set - relatively recent or colonial times or what - but it's all part of the larger picture.

I think the key here is that while it's the Ghostbusters universe, not every movie has to be about people busting ghosts. Talking to my sources it's become clear that 'Ghostbusters' is going to be the catch-all umbrella for a world of supernatural FX comedies. That world will truly become clear in the team-up film. If the plan for almost yearly Ghostbusters movies holds, these four - the all-female, the Channing/Pratt, the crossover and the prequel - definitely provide a base to rotate annually between tones and concepts.

Is it going to work? Now that I know the Tatum/Russo/Pearce movie isn't a boys-only film, and now that I know that there's some actual planning going on in terms of how these films interact, I feel pretty good about it all. Do I feel good enough to lose the Russos from Infinity War? Here's hoping that there's a way they can keep one foot in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
694132, it still sounds "ugh" worthy
Posted by Calico, Tue Mar-10-15 07:08 AM
...i'm down for a Pratt/Tatum collab, but not...this...
694139, don't worry, we're just planning 4 movies before making 1
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Mar-10-15 08:12 AM
694140, Still don't see this working out
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Mar-10-15 08:20 AM
Everything doesn't need an expanded universe.
694164, wtf?
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Mar-10-15 03:37 PM
lol
694142, Hmm.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Mar-10-15 09:01 AM
Anyone else remember the second lesser Ghostbusters cartoon where an ape was one of the Ghostbusters? This dual Ghostbusters movie crap feels like that lesser Ghostbusters cartoon.
694147, Sony has a huge boner for universes a la MCU....
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Mar-10-15 11:22 AM
.....but erectile dysfunction at the actual execution.

This sounds just as bad as the planned Spideyverse announcement before the Marvel partnership.

I still don't want to see a Sinister Six flick. Nor will I spend my money trying to see two different Ghostbuster sequels/sidequels/offshoots/compliments.

Unless they're good. Which outside of the all female one sound like they won't be.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
694155, to think this all started as a Dan Akryod daydream...
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Mar-10-15 02:06 PM
...Hollywood huh?
694159, this has Blues Bros 2000 written all over it
Posted by rdhull, Tue Mar-10-15 02:47 PM
694160, question.. how many of you would 180 on this if Bill gave his nod?
Posted by PG, Tue Mar-10-15 02:57 PM
694168, nod as in stars in all 3 or 4 or however many they think they'll make?
Posted by jigga, Tue Mar-10-15 04:14 PM
694173, He means nod of approval b.
Posted by bwood, Tue Mar-10-15 05:00 PM
694175, pfft
Posted by rdhull, Tue Mar-10-15 05:17 PM
>