Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747767

Subject: "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8627 posts
Thu Apr-06-23 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Super Mario Bros. Movie"

Look, this is a movie clearly made for 10 year olds and younger, so I'm not entirely mad at it. One of the rare instances where I wish it was longer so it could yell a story. Something this has no interest in doing.

I mean when 2 live-action SONIC THE HEDGEHOG movies actually care about telling a story with characters you care about, then there's no excuse.

But if you're over the age of 14 and legit try to tell me that this is a good movie cause it hits all the nostalgia points and Easter eggs, you gotta grow up beloved.

The ONLY part I actually enjoyed was the Mario Kart sequence. Other than that, your movie I'd weak sauce when the villain, Bowser, and the sidekick, Toad, are the best characters. Luigi is completely sidelined here and turned into a HUGE wimp. His turn to action hero at the end was very sudden and barely works.

Take your kids to see DUNGEONS & DRAGONS instead. This will be on Peacock by May 15th. Sure, this looks great but it's definitely an Illumination movie.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Looks great, has an AI-generated ass script, lol.
Apr 06th 2023
I feel like Illumination is just a bunch...
Apr 06th 2023
looks like a IP template movie
Apr 06th 2023
I don't care if it's good, to be honest.
Apr 06th 2023
It'll be good for him.
Apr 06th 2023
Looks fun.
Apr 06th 2023
just took my nephew, i enjoyed
Apr 07th 2023
lack of story but was fun, funny and quick
Apr 10th 2023
entertained but i hope this leads to more TV based content
Apr 12th 2023
It was a blast. We got a LOT of Mario.
Apr 12th 2023
It's at 700 million worldwide. We got us a franchise!
Apr 18th 2023

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86684 posts
Thu Apr-06-23 10:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Looks great, has an AI-generated ass script, lol."
In response to Reply # 0

Not an ounce of soul in here whatsoever, or even an attempt. Which is fine, I guess, since it's a kid's movie, and who gives a shit... but man, kids' movies usually at least *try* to put something of vague interest in there.

Still, it looks fucking great. And I was stoned. So you can do worse, lol.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8627 posts
Thu Apr-06-23 10:30 AM

2. "I feel like Illumination is just a bunch..."
In response to Reply # 1

...of people who sit around coming up with vague premises and take that all the way to the final stage.

Even DreamWorks gives a shit when making their family animated movies.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

will_5198
Charter member
63120 posts
Thu Apr-06-23 11:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "looks like a IP template movie"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Apr-06-23 11:58 PM by will_5198

down to hiring Chris Pratt to be the lead, just because

and all that is fine -- obviously there is a demand for such a commodity, especially since the source material is a 40-year-old video game about a jumping blockman composed of 10 pixels

--------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44970 posts
Thu Apr-06-23 11:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I don't care if it's good, to be honest. "
In response to Reply # 0

My son loves all things Mario, Yoshi, etc.

He has damn near every Mario game you can get and he'll even go back to the OG Nintendo game from time to time. We're doing this and then hitting Universal Studios for Super Nintendo World the last weekend of the month for his birthday.

He's about to turn 8 so as long as they make him laugh a lot I'm going to have a fucking blast.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86684 posts
Thu Apr-06-23 01:22 PM

5. "It'll be good for him."
In response to Reply # 3

I'd say that age range is perfect for this.

My theater was packed and the little kids were dying laughing at all the stuff. So yeah, I'm sure you two will have a blast.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Thu Apr-06-23 11:44 AM

4. "Looks fun."
In response to Reply # 0

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Robert
Charter member
4134 posts
Fri Apr-07-23 03:45 PM

7. "just took my nephew, i enjoyed"
In response to Reply # 0

the animation alone is incredible..especially kart section.

i legit lol'd at a couple of gags, and i was surprised by the amount of 80s references.. (the song selections..and bender quote from Breakfast Club??)

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16421 posts
Mon Apr-10-23 11:07 AM

8. "lack of story but was fun, funny and quick"
In response to Reply # 0

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16804 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 08:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "entertained but i hope this leads to more TV based content"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Cold Truth
44970 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 09:39 AM

10. "It was a blast. We got a LOT of Mario."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-12-23 09:40 AM by Cold Truth

This didn't need much more than it was, though I agree it could have been "better" in terms of the story.

But I don't know that it needed a better story. It was a fun video game adventure that absolutely flew by.

The fan service on this was HEAVY.

The score, the countless little references. The motherfucking BLUE SHELL!

If you play the games, this was beautiful, because they crammed *so* much into it, without making it feel forced or bloated.

This was a dope love letter that rewards those of us who have played the games over the course of generations.

I can't praise it enough.

Yes, the story was basic. And in any other movie that would have killed it IMO.

But they gave us SO. MUCH. MARIO.

They brought the games to life in a way that actually felt like the games themselves.

This is easily on par with Sonic, despite Sonic giving us a more relatable and human story. Sonic 2 hit the gas on fan service and it worked. So perhaps Mario hits the gas on the relatable, human elements when it gets a sequel.

Cold Truth
44970 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 01:02 AM

11. "It's at 700 million worldwide. We got us a franchise!"
In response to Reply # 0

Love it, and can't wait to see them build this out.

I do want to see them improve the story elements, while keeping everything else that made this magical. I'm just glad to see this succeed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/super-mario-bros-box-office-crazy-great-1235375839/

Through Sunday, Super Mario has grossed $353.3 million domestically and $339.8 million overseas for a jaw-dropping global tally of $693.1 million through Sunday before crossing $700 million on Monday. Its foreign cume includes an impressive second-weekend gross of $102.5 million from 71 markets after dipping less than 28 percent (final foreign numbers were also up from Sunday’s estimate of $94 million). Mexico leads with a huge $52 million, already the third-best showing of all time for a Hollywood animated film.

The animated sensation smashed numerous records in its launch over the long Easter holiday. And by mid-week, Mario zoomed past Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania to rank as the top-grossing movie of the year to date at the domestic, international and worldwide box office. It’s also now the No. 1 video game adaptation of all time after passing up Warcraft ($439.4 million) and Pokémon: Detective Pikachu ($449.8 million).

A plethora of new movies opened nationwide this weekend to mixed results, led by Universal’s modern-day vampire comedy Renfield and Screen Gems’ supernatural thriller The Pope’s Exorcist.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747767 Previous topic | Next topic