Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743536

Subject: "Jeremy Renner is a Bad Ass in Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount+ 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49775 posts
Mon Feb-07-22 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jeremy Renner is a Bad Ass in Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount+ 2022)"
Mon Feb-07-22 02:42 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

I think I use to wonder his appeal pre-Hawkeye series. Hawkeye was dope because dude played the part that he looked, and he looks like a bruised up lump of ground beef. Douse that lump of ground beef with his alcohol, and you have his character in Mayor of Kingstown.

The show is dark, and its really hard to figure out his motivation, but damn if every time he walked up to greet someone with a punch to the face I was rootin for him.

A lot is going on in this show at any given time and the last couple of episodes are nuts, I can see why the reviews are mixed because its dark and violent in ways that I fast forwarded a couple of scenes, but damn I binged the ish out of this series.

I guess more folks would be talking about it more if it were on another streamer, but I am not mad I got paramount+ just to watch it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
one of the boldest first episode flexes ever
Feb 07th 2022
Show never lets its foot off the gas. Where does it go from here?
Feb 08th 2022
they left a couple some threads
Feb 08th 2022
Thats what I like about Sheridan's writting
Feb 08th 2022
      sometimes i feel like he leans on it a bit too much *yellowstone spoiler...
Feb 08th 2022
           RE: sometimes i feel like he leans on it a bit too much *yellowstone spo...
Feb 08th 2022
                great point
Feb 09th 2022
I thought this show was terrible.
Feb 08th 2022
critics 32% audience 89%
Feb 08th 2022
3 questions
Feb 08th 2022
      He did Yellowstone, Wind River, Sicario, Hell or High Water, etc
Feb 08th 2022
           Got it.
Feb 09th 2022
                You've convinced me to finish the season.
Feb 09th 2022
                     Man thats a lot of pressure!
Feb 11th 2022
I just need two or three more of these Sheridan shows to pop then I'll c...
Feb 11th 2022

Mynoriti
Charter member
39142 posts
Mon Feb-07-22 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "one of the boldest first episode flexes ever"
In response to Reply # 0

to the point where i then assumed most of the season was going to be a flashback from then.

I was watching the first season of Yellowstone while i was watching this, and it feels like Sheridan likes to pile it on with the suffering. It settled in after season 1, but i get kind of the same dismal vibe here where at a point you're like damn, chill lol.

I glad this show got a second season. I'm def still on board and interested to see where it goes.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49775 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 11:31 AM

2. "Show never lets its foot off the gas. Where does it go from here? "
In response to Reply # 1

It goes nuts.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Mynoriti
Charter member
39142 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 01:59 PM

6. "they left a couple some threads"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Feb-08-22 02:14 PM by Mynoriti

the aftermath of the end of the season
that burried bus
Milo is still out there.

Speaking of which, Carcetti's accent game is the weirdest ever. I mean i guess he's supposed to be Russian or eastern European but I don't even know what that was. Littlefinger's accents were all over the place too

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5186 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Thats what I like about Sheridan's writting"
In response to Reply # 1

>to the point where i then assumed most of the season was
>going to be a flashback from then.
>
>I was watching the first season of Yellowstone while i was
>watching this, and it feels like Sheridan likes to pile it on
>with the suffering. It settled in after season 1, but i get
>kind of the same dismal vibe here where at a point you're like
>damn, chill lol.
>
>I glad this show got a second season. I'm def still on board
>and interested to see where it goes.
>

He never lets up, you could see it in his films. He has a very dismal and bleak out look on how the world works, which makes for great TV/Film.

I wish they would've let him take over SOA from Sutter, probably would've gotten a way better show.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Mynoriti
Charter member
39142 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 02:04 PM

7. "sometimes i feel like he leans on it a bit too much *yellowstone spoiler..."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Feb-08-22 02:05 PM by Mynoriti

>He never lets up, you could see it in his films. He has a very
>dismal and bleak out look on how the world works, which makes
>for great TV/Film.
>

the amount of shit that happened to Casey and Monica through in the first season alone could fill up a series. I'm on S4 now, at least he's spacing it out some lol.

>I wish they would've let him take over SOA from Sutter,
>probably would've gotten a way better show.

bro, i JUST fond out he's the og Sheriff from SOA lol, but damn if you're not right. That premise could have been amazing in his hands. I hope he does a biker series at some point.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5186 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 04:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: sometimes i feel like he leans on it a bit too much *yellowstone spo..."
In response to Reply # 7

>the amount of shit that happened to Casey and Monica through
>in the first season alone could fill up a series. I'm on S4
>now, at least he's spacing it out some lol.
Yea, I think that was because he was so used to writing film which all the stuff has to happen quickly because time constraints. Now that he's well working in tv, he's understanding to pace out storylines since he doesn't have to put everything in a 1:45hr - 2:30hr box

>bro, i JUST fond out he's the og Sheriff from SOA lol, but
>damn if you're not right. That premise could have been amazing
>in his hands. I hope he does a biker series at some point.
Yea, If I remember right correctly, he left SOA on his own to start doing his writing. I'm pretty sure Sicario hit right after his exit from the series.

Believe it he would've taken over SOA, it would've had all the Emmys but it would've ben way more brutal than Sutter cartoonish violence.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Mynoriti
Charter member
39142 posts
Wed Feb-09-22 01:23 PM

13. "great point"
In response to Reply # 10

>Yea, I think that was because he was so used to writing film
>which all the stuff has to happen quickly because time
>constraints. Now that he's well working in tv, he's
>understanding to pace out storylines since he doesn't have to
>put everything in a 1:45hr - 2:30hr box

this makes a lot of sense. especially seeing how good Yellowstone S2 flowed. I'm glad Kingstown got a second season. I don't know if it will pop but it deserves a shot.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5670 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 01:29 PM

4. "I thought this show was terrible. "
In response to Reply # 0

I got Paramount + for this, Seal Team, and the Yellowstone Prequel. This was easily the worst of the three.

I thought i was tripping after seeing this post. Thought maybe it wasnt for me. But i checked and it's at 32% on Rotten Tomatoes as well. I just dont think it lived up to the stacked cast and premise. And i love Sheridan and have seen everything he has done.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Mynoriti
Charter member
39142 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 01:56 PM

5. "critics 32% audience 89%"
In response to Reply # 4

i liked it but i can see why people wouldn't. especially if the baseline is Yellowstone or Sheridan's other work.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49775 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 02:56 PM

8. "3 questions"
In response to Reply # 4

1. Did you finish the season?
2. Was it too dark or violent?
3. Did you not find Renner's character compelling?

I skimmed the reviews and a lot of the bad reviews tapped out after 2 or 3 episodes and/or found the show too dark/morally ambiguous.

My wife tapped out because of the violence and I could see having a problem with the show for being sympathetic to bad cops.

I have never watched a show by this show runner, curious to hear why you didn't like it.

Sofian_Hadi
5670 posts
Tue Feb-08-22 03:07 PM

9. "He did Yellowstone, Wind River, Sicario, Hell or High Water, etc"
In response to Reply # 8

All of which i love. Most of which i actually love because of the violence and storyline.

I admittedly tapped out after Episode 3 or 4 i believe, simply due to the final season of Ozark, 1883, and latest season of Yellowstone dropping. I'll have to go back to it as it seems it picked up steam mid-season? It just seems depressing and moody for the sake of being depressing and moody. The violence isnt shocking to me at all, that wouldnt turn me off.

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49775 posts
Wed Feb-09-22 09:29 AM

11. "Got it."
In response to Reply # 9

I spent some time reading a bunch of the reviews after your post and I think a lot of them got the show wrong because a) it isn't all dark and terrible deeper into the season and b) prison dramas just aren't for everyone. I think someone described it as, toxic masculinity the series and they are not all wrong.

Anyway, there were some key moments in the show where if they got any darker I might have bailed but they didn't go all the way there for me.

This has me thinking about another post I want to make.

Sofian_Hadi
5670 posts
Wed Feb-09-22 11:16 AM

12. "You've convinced me to finish the season."
In response to Reply # 11

I finished Ozark so i'll def finish out this season and see how it all pans out.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49775 posts
Fri Feb-11-22 03:45 PM

14. "Man thats a lot of pressure!"
In response to Reply # 12

Curious to hear what you think when you are done.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15329 posts
Fri Feb-11-22 05:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "I just need two or three more of these Sheridan shows to pop then I'll c..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm all in on him as a filmmaker but don't see many other reasons to get Paramount, so part of me just wants to let them all pile up heading into next winter and huddle up with my guy's projects

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743536 Previous topic | Next topic