Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectJeremy Renner is a Bad Ass in Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount+ 2022)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743536
743536, Jeremy Renner is a Bad Ass in Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount+ 2022)
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Feb-07-22 02:42 PM
I think I use to wonder his appeal pre-Hawkeye series. Hawkeye was dope because dude played the part that he looked, and he looks like a bruised up lump of ground beef. Douse that lump of ground beef with his alcohol, and you have his character in Mayor of Kingstown.

The show is dark, and its really hard to figure out his motivation, but damn if every time he walked up to greet someone with a punch to the face I was rootin for him.

A lot is going on in this show at any given time and the last couple of episodes are nuts, I can see why the reviews are mixed because its dark and violent in ways that I fast forwarded a couple of scenes, but damn I binged the ish out of this series.

I guess more folks would be talking about it more if it were on another streamer, but I am not mad I got paramount+ just to watch it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
743539, one of the boldest first episode flexes ever
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Feb-07-22 06:37 PM
to the point where i then assumed most of the season was going to be a flashback from then.

I was watching the first season of Yellowstone while i was watching this, and it feels like Sheridan likes to pile it on with the suffering. It settled in after season 1, but i get kind of the same dismal vibe here where at a point you're like damn, chill lol.

I glad this show got a second season. I'm def still on board and interested to see where it goes.
743542, Show never lets its foot off the gas. Where does it go from here?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-08-22 11:31 AM
It goes nuts.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

743547, they left a couple some threads
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Feb-08-22 01:59 PM
the aftermath of the end of the season
that burried bus
Milo is still out there.

Speaking of which, Carcetti's accent game is the weirdest ever. I mean i guess he's supposed to be Russian or eastern European but I don't even know what that was. Littlefinger's accents were all over the place too
743543, Thats what I like about Sheridan's writting
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Feb-08-22 12:24 PM
>to the point where i then assumed most of the season was
>going to be a flashback from then.
>
>I was watching the first season of Yellowstone while i was
>watching this, and it feels like Sheridan likes to pile it on
>with the suffering. It settled in after season 1, but i get
>kind of the same dismal vibe here where at a point you're like
>damn, chill lol.
>
>I glad this show got a second season. I'm def still on board
>and interested to see where it goes.
>

He never lets up, you could see it in his films. He has a very dismal and bleak out look on how the world works, which makes for great TV/Film.

I wish they would've let him take over SOA from Sutter, probably would've gotten a way better show.
743548, sometimes i feel like he leans on it a bit too much *yellowstone spoilers*
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Feb-08-22 02:04 PM
>He never lets up, you could see it in his films. He has a very
>dismal and bleak out look on how the world works, which makes
>for great TV/Film.
>

the amount of shit that happened to Casey and Monica through in the first season alone could fill up a series. I'm on S4 now, at least he's spacing it out some lol.

>I wish they would've let him take over SOA from Sutter,
>probably would've gotten a way better show.

bro, i JUST fond out he's the og Sheriff from SOA lol, but damn if you're not right. That premise could have been amazing in his hands. I hope he does a biker series at some point.
743551, RE: sometimes i feel like he leans on it a bit too much *yellowstone spoilers*
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Feb-08-22 04:08 PM

>the amount of shit that happened to Casey and Monica through
>in the first season alone could fill up a series. I'm on S4
>now, at least he's spacing it out some lol.
Yea, I think that was because he was so used to writing film which all the stuff has to happen quickly because time constraints. Now that he's well working in tv, he's understanding to pace out storylines since he doesn't have to put everything in a 1:45hr - 2:30hr box

>bro, i JUST fond out he's the og Sheriff from SOA lol, but
>damn if you're not right. That premise could have been amazing
>in his hands. I hope he does a biker series at some point.
Yea, If I remember right correctly, he left SOA on his own to start doing his writing. I'm pretty sure Sicario hit right after his exit from the series.

Believe it he would've taken over SOA, it would've had all the Emmys but it would've ben way more brutal than Sutter cartoonish violence.
743561, great point
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Feb-09-22 01:23 PM
>Yea, I think that was because he was so used to writing film
>which all the stuff has to happen quickly because time
>constraints. Now that he's well working in tv, he's
>understanding to pace out storylines since he doesn't have to
>put everything in a 1:45hr - 2:30hr box

this makes a lot of sense. especially seeing how good Yellowstone S2 flowed. I'm glad Kingstown got a second season. I don't know if it will pop but it deserves a shot.
743545, I thought this show was terrible.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Feb-08-22 01:29 PM
I got Paramount + for this, Seal Team, and the Yellowstone Prequel. This was easily the worst of the three.

I thought i was tripping after seeing this post. Thought maybe it wasnt for me. But i checked and it's at 32% on Rotten Tomatoes as well. I just dont think it lived up to the stacked cast and premise. And i love Sheridan and have seen everything he has done.
743546, critics 32% audience 89%
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Feb-08-22 01:56 PM
i liked it but i can see why people wouldn't. especially if the baseline is Yellowstone or Sheridan's other work.
743549, 3 questions
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-08-22 02:56 PM
1. Did you finish the season?
2. Was it too dark or violent?
3. Did you not find Renner's character compelling?

I skimmed the reviews and a lot of the bad reviews tapped out after 2 or 3 episodes and/or found the show too dark/morally ambiguous.

My wife tapped out because of the violence and I could see having a problem with the show for being sympathetic to bad cops.

I have never watched a show by this show runner, curious to hear why you didn't like it.

743550, He did Yellowstone, Wind River, Sicario, Hell or High Water, etc
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Feb-08-22 03:07 PM
All of which i love. Most of which i actually love because of the violence and storyline.

I admittedly tapped out after Episode 3 or 4 i believe, simply due to the final season of Ozark, 1883, and latest season of Yellowstone dropping. I'll have to go back to it as it seems it picked up steam mid-season? It just seems depressing and moody for the sake of being depressing and moody. The violence isnt shocking to me at all, that wouldnt turn me off.
743555, Got it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-09-22 09:29 AM
I spent some time reading a bunch of the reviews after your post and I think a lot of them got the show wrong because a) it isn't all dark and terrible deeper into the season and b) prison dramas just aren't for everyone. I think someone described it as, toxic masculinity the series and they are not all wrong.

Anyway, there were some key moments in the show where if they got any darker I might have bailed but they didn't go all the way there for me.

This has me thinking about another post I want to make.

743557, You've convinced me to finish the season.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Feb-09-22 11:16 AM
I finished Ozark so i'll def finish out this season and see how it all pans out.
743582, Man thats a lot of pressure!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Feb-11-22 03:45 PM
Curious to hear what you think when you are done.

743584, I just need two or three more of these Sheridan shows to pop then I'll cop
Posted by Nodima, Fri Feb-11-22 05:18 PM
I'm all in on him as a filmmaker but don't see many other reasons to get Paramount, so part of me just wants to let them all pile up heading into next winter and huddle up with my guy's projects

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz