Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3040561

Subject: "living colour/geri allen question" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sun Nov-20-22 07:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"living colour/geri allen question"

Ok, so a Pitchfork retrospective review of Vivid mentions an early Living Colour lineup.

"Over the next three years, the group served as a sandbox for a host of players (drummer Pheeroan akLaff, keyboardist Geri Allen, and guitarist/bassist Jerome Harris among them) who would go on to populate the credits of countless notable jazz records in the decades to come."

This is similar to a blurb on LC's Wikipedia page about the early lineup.

But was this *the* Geri Allen??!?!?!? The preeminent jazz pianist of the late-20th/early-21st century?

And if so, how did I not know this, lol!

It's not that crazy but at the same time, it sort of is. Anyone have any knowledge they can shed here? Are there any recordings or pics out there? My knowledge of LC is super basic aside from their full lps.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: living colour/geri allen question
Dec 03rd 2022
Wow...I actually studied with her while she was a professor at
Dec 18th 2022

jmaestro
Member since Oct 07th 2007
155 posts
Sat Dec-03-22 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: living colour/geri allen question"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow! Never knew. It HAS to be her as there's probably not another "Geri" playing keys on that level during that time.

Musician
DJ
- Instagram: thegreatmaestro

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Sun Dec-18-22 07:33 PM

2. "Wow...I actually studied with her while she was a professor at "
In response to Reply # 0

Michigan and I never knew this. And it has to be her - there wouldn't have been another keys player named Geri Allen from that time...

Lobby The Lesson topic #3040561 Previous topic | Next topic