Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectliving colour/geri allen question
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3040561
3040561, living colour/geri allen question
Posted by thebigfunk, Sun Nov-20-22 07:54 PM
Ok, so a Pitchfork retrospective review of Vivid mentions an early Living Colour lineup.

"Over the next three years, the group served as a sandbox for a host of players (drummer Pheeroan akLaff, keyboardist Geri Allen, and guitarist/bassist Jerome Harris among them) who would go on to populate the credits of countless notable jazz records in the decades to come."

This is similar to a blurb on LC's Wikipedia page about the early lineup.

But was this *the* Geri Allen??!?!?!? The preeminent jazz pianist of the late-20th/early-21st century?

And if so, how did I not know this, lol!

It's not that crazy but at the same time, it sort of is. Anyone have any knowledge they can shed here? Are there any recordings or pics out there? My knowledge of LC is super basic aside from their full lps.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3040679, RE: living colour/geri allen question
Posted by jmaestro, Sat Dec-03-22 10:11 AM
Wow! Never knew. It HAS to be her as there's probably not another "Geri" playing keys on that level during that time.
3040859, Wow...I actually studied with her while she was a professor at
Posted by soulfunk, Sun Dec-18-22 07:33 PM
Michigan and I never knew this. And it has to be her - there wouldn't have been another keys player named Geri Allen from that time...