Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019711

Subject: "The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post" Previous topic | Next topic
DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18640 posts
Wed Oct-23-19 07:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post"

Some recognize, but it’s possible many fans or would be fans have been too busy wanting a Phonte solo rap album every year or a Little Brother reunion album(both amazing things, but that’s another post) to really give Pooh’s solo catalogue it’s just due. Myself included. No more though.

Many have given Sleepers it’s due as one of the best albums from the LB/Justus League tree over the years. But that’s often where it seems to end. The new LB album had me going back and listening to damn everything that came from the whole Justus League crew.

His most recent album, RPM, is excellent. Got its own unique sound and feel. Produced by Focus. How did I miss this one when it dropped? Home Sweet Home was a top notch album too. So glad I revisited that one. It’s really a great album.

-He always gets good beats.
-Makes highly cohesive one producer albums with great producers: Nottz, Focus, Apollo Brown....even that Black Milk Purple Tape mixtape counts.
-Concept albums where he sticks to the concept.
-Always solid on the mic at worst.
-Puts on young up and comers, most of whom are talented. He even worked with a young Kendrick.

He’s been very prolific and has a lot of strong projects and a hell of a catalogue IMO. Let’s give him his just due for it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Home Sweet Home is my favorite of what I've heard.
Oct 23rd 2019
Home Sweet Home and Sleepers are neck and neck for me
Oct 24th 2019
great call
Oct 23rd 2019
Yea just put RPM on my to-do list as well.
Oct 23rd 2019
      Yeah I’m curious what others think of RPM
Oct 24th 2019
RE: The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post
Oct 24th 2019
Check Mello Music Group for two of this albums
Oct 29th 2019
STRONGEST MAN!!!!!!!
Oct 24th 2019
I'm the same with Scars
Oct 24th 2019
      Both great songs: I’ll offer “Now” f/ Murs as another great one of...
Oct 24th 2019
A+ post
Oct 24th 2019
RE: The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post
Oct 24th 2019
Sleepers and Words Paint Pictures
Oct 25th 2019
I said before Pooh's solo discography is stronger than Tay's
Oct 28th 2019

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Oct-23-19 08:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Home Sweet Home is my favorite of what I've heard."
In response to Reply # 0

You're right about his focus on one-producer albums. And yes it seems like he sticks to a concept on his albums, and keeps them succinct and not bloated.

I've only heard a few of his solos but I've really enjoyed them all (especially Home Sweet Home which I burned out for a couple months and still listen to stray tracks from). LB's new joint sparked me to listen to all LB's old albums and I've been burning The Listening, The Minstrel Show, and the new one out since August.

So I'll have to check them all out in succession for sure. You've just motivated me to do so.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

DJR
18640 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Home Sweet Home and Sleepers are neck and neck for me "
In response to Reply # 1

maro
Charter member

2. "great call"
In response to Reply # 0

I was obsessed with sleepers when it came out in the early 00’s. I had a leaked version with tags throughout.

I’ve enjoyed his solo albums as well. Need to listen to RPM - good look on that.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Oct-23-19 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Yea just put RPM on my to-do list as well."
In response to Reply # 2

I could've sworn I'd saved it on Spotify to check out but it wasn't there. I'll be trying to listen this weekend.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

DJR
18640 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 03:03 PM

10. "Yeah I’m curious what others think of RPM"
In response to Reply # 3

For whatever reason it seems that album went very under the radar - not many views on YouTube and I don’t recall seeing or hearing much if any discussion about it when it dropped.

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 08:29 AM

4. "RE: The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post"
In response to Reply # 0

I need to get on some of his most recent stuff, but it's been harder to find it in Toronto lately and shipping up here seems to have gotten more expensive too. I stayed on top of things until Words Paint Pictures, and the consistency definitely stands out, even when I kind of 'forget' what the albums were like I know when I go back to them I'll be listening to something solid all the way through.

---------------------
Obviously White

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Tue Oct-29-19 05:45 AM

14. "Check Mello Music Group for two of this albums"
In response to Reply # 4

Home Sweet Home and Words Paint Pictures

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 09:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "STRONGEST MAN!!!!!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

...probably one of my favorite songs ever ...still like to start my morning commute with this one over a decade later

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 01:18 PM

8. "I'm the same with Scars"
In response to Reply # 5

one of the best beats 9th has ever made plus Median blacked out on his verse

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

DJR
18640 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 03:00 PM

9. "Both great songs: I’ll offer “Now” f/ Murs as another great one of..."
In response to Reply # 8

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 12:10 PM

6. "A+ post"
In response to Reply # 0

gonna offer up some biz on this shortly

wisdom31
Charter member
1695 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 01:10 PM

7. "RE: The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post"
In response to Reply # 0

Extremely slept on catalog. I interviewed Rapper Big Pooh a few years ago for a mag I was writing for and he discussed his music. He definitely doesn't get his just due. He has been a consistent source of dope music for the better part of 10-15 years. Salute!

"I just produce, create, innovate on a higher level..."

--- KRS-ONE

TWITTER: @WisdomSince70
IG: WisdomSince70
FACEBOOK: Wisdom1970
WISDOM SEEKER Blog: http://wisdom40.blogspot.com

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 09:08 PM

12. "Sleepers and Words Paint Pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

are the albums I continue to rock from his solo catalog.

--------

Mixcloud - www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 04:12 AM

13. "I said before Pooh's solo discography is stronger than Tay's"
In response to Reply # 0

Much more replay value, and while still working in a traditional rap sense, as the OP mentioned - he's taken more chances. I especially liked the Fat Boy Fresh series, some post-JL gems on those.

Streets won't let me chill.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019711 Previous topic | Next topic