Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3019711
3019711, The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post
Posted by DJR, Wed Oct-23-19 07:41 PM
Some recognize, but it’s possible many fans or would be fans have been too busy wanting a Phonte solo rap album every year or a Little Brother reunion album(both amazing things, but that’s another post) to really give Pooh’s solo catalogue it’s just due. Myself included. No more though.

Many have given Sleepers it’s due as one of the best albums from the LB/Justus League tree over the years. But that’s often where it seems to end. The new LB album had me going back and listening to damn everything that came from the whole Justus League crew.

His most recent album, RPM, is excellent. Got its own unique sound and feel. Produced by Focus. How did I miss this one when it dropped? Home Sweet Home was a top notch album too. So glad I revisited that one. It’s really a great album.

-He always gets good beats.
-Makes highly cohesive one producer albums with great producers: Nottz, Focus, Apollo Brown....even that Black Milk Purple Tape mixtape counts.
-Concept albums where he sticks to the concept.
-Always solid on the mic at worst.
-Puts on young up and comers, most of whom are talented. He even worked with a young Kendrick.

He’s been very prolific and has a lot of strong projects and a hell of a catalogue IMO. Let’s give him his just due for it.
3019714, Home Sweet Home is my favorite of what I've heard.
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-23-19 08:38 PM
You're right about his focus on one-producer albums. And yes it seems like he sticks to a concept on his albums, and keeps them succinct and not bloated.

I've only heard a few of his solos but I've really enjoyed them all (especially Home Sweet Home which I burned out for a couple months and still listen to stray tracks from). LB's new joint sparked me to listen to all LB's old albums and I've been burning The Listening, The Minstrel Show, and the new one out since August.

So I'll have to check them all out in succession for sure. You've just motivated me to do so.
3019727, Home Sweet Home and Sleepers are neck and neck for me
Posted by DJR, Thu Oct-24-19 03:04 PM
3019715, great call
Posted by , Wed Oct-23-19 08:58 PM
I was obsessed with sleepers when it came out in the early 00’s. I had a leaked version with tags throughout.

I’ve enjoyed his solo albums as well. Need to listen to RPM - good look on that.
3019716, Yea just put RPM on my to-do list as well.
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-23-19 10:16 PM
I could've sworn I'd saved it on Spotify to check out but it wasn't there. I'll be trying to listen this weekend.
3019726, Yeah I’m curious what others think of RPM
Posted by DJR, Thu Oct-24-19 03:03 PM
For whatever reason it seems that album went very under the radar - not many views on YouTube and I don’t recall seeing or hearing much if any discussion about it when it dropped.

3019718, RE: The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post
Posted by upUPNorth, Thu Oct-24-19 08:29 AM
I need to get on some of his most recent stuff, but it's been harder to find it in Toronto lately and shipping up here seems to have gotten more expensive too. I stayed on top of things until Words Paint Pictures, and the consistency definitely stands out, even when I kind of 'forget' what the albums were like I know when I go back to them I'll be listening to something solid all the way through.
3019831, Check Mello Music Group for two of this albums
Posted by ChampD1012, Tue Oct-29-19 05:45 AM
Home Sweet Home and Words Paint Pictures
3019719, STRONGEST MAN!!!!!!!
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Oct-24-19 09:05 AM
...probably one of my favorite songs ever ...still like to start my morning commute with this one over a decade later

3019724, I'm the same with Scars
Posted by Ray_Snill, Thu Oct-24-19 01:18 PM
one of the best beats 9th has ever made plus Median blacked out on his verse

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
3019725, Both great songs: I’ll offer “Now” f/ Murs as another great one off Sleepers
Posted by DJR, Thu Oct-24-19 03:00 PM
3019720, A+ post
Posted by fontgangsta, Thu Oct-24-19 12:10 PM
gonna offer up some biz on this shortly
3019722, RE: The Big Pooh solo albums appreciation post
Posted by wisdom31, Thu Oct-24-19 01:10 PM
Extremely slept on catalog. I interviewed Rapper Big Pooh a few years ago for a mag I was writing for and he discussed his music. He definitely doesn't get his just due. He has been a consistent source of dope music for the better part of 10-15 years. Salute!

"I just produce, create, innovate on a higher level..."

--- KRS-ONE

TWITTER: @WisdomSince70
IG: WisdomSince70
FACEBOOK: Wisdom1970
WISDOM SEEKER Blog: http://wisdom40.blogspot.com
3019764, Sleepers and Words Paint Pictures
Posted by Soletaker, Fri Oct-25-19 09:08 PM
are the albums I continue to rock from his solo catalog.
3019794, I said before Pooh's solo discography is stronger than Tay's
Posted by Overqualified, Mon Oct-28-19 04:12 AM
Much more replay value, and while still working in a traditional rap sense, as the OP mentioned - he's taken more chances. I especially liked the Fat Boy Fresh series, some post-JL gems on those.