Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2697376

Subject: "Black music was better when no one respected it" Previous topic | Next topic
forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black music was better when no one respected it"

i was listening to Solo Dancer - Track A from Mingus and i was going crazy in my seat on the bus just lost in the music.

i was thinking about how back in the day, moreso in the 20's and 30's, the notion of Black musicians being appreciated and respected for their art and music being unique from mainstream European rooted music was a rare thing. someone could argue that the pressure to be accepted as equal or to find respect added motivation for great musicians like Gillepsie and Ellington and even on to greats like Davis and Mingus.

hip-hop had a similar period of being rejected my mainstream press and sensibilities and it could be argued that the best music in its history came out during this time or at least because it was striving to be accepted.

i know jazz has become almost an afterthought since it reached mainstream acceptance. i guess my case erodes some since R&B isn't where jazz is, but with the Black audience becoming more fragmented, R&B defintely isn't where it was 10 years ago and even less like it was 20 years ago.

what do you all think?

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Fixed: Black music is better when it doesn't seek approval
May 10th 2012
word.
May 10th 2012
Black music is better when it doesn't seek approval.
May 10th 2012
refixed!!
May 10th 2012
RE: Fixed: Black music was better when it didn't seek approval
May 10th 2012
Dizz and Duke's main thing wasnt to gain acceptance from whitey
May 11th 2012
Correct!
May 10th 2012
Fixed: Music is better when it doesn't seek approval
May 10th 2012
RE: Fixed: Black music was better when it doesn't seek approval
May 10th 2012
from the White (read: mainstream) audience.
May 10th 2012
Sayeth Worde.
May 10th 2012
its the whitification of black america
May 10th 2012
but is it accessible to young black america??? half the shit i listen
May 10th 2012
      RE: but is it accessible to young black america??? half the shit i liste...
May 10th 2012
I don't think it's anymore respected just more listened to
May 10th 2012
but people in the know, music people, respected it
May 10th 2012
this is a PC translation of my post
May 10th 2012
word.
May 10th 2012
^
May 10th 2012
how is it not respected when EVERYBODY tries to copy it?
May 10th 2012
LOL
May 10th 2012
but they gettin' they praise ON, ain't they?
May 10th 2012
      right?
May 10th 2012
It's a byproduct of america's influence on popular culture worldwide...
May 11th 2012
i know personally
May 11th 2012
      as much as I like The Beatles, I gotta disagree...
May 12th 2012
i guess imitation is the best form of flattery
May 11th 2012
who are you? Milt Romney meets David Duke Meets the Klan?
May 10th 2012
RE: who are you? Milt Romney meets David Duke Meets the Klan?
May 11th 2012
      Miles Davis said it best in his book
May 11th 2012
Do You Really Think Black Artists Made Music They Didn't Respect?
May 11th 2012
i see what you mean
May 11th 2012
when Black people had there own cultural spaces
May 11th 2012
We still do.
May 11th 2012
      *affirmatively nods*
May 11th 2012
oh......you're 'that' guy?
May 11th 2012

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Fixed: Black music is better when it doesn't seek approval"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-10-12 04:48 PM by imcvspl

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "word."
In response to Reply # 1

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Black music is better when it doesn't seek approval."
In response to Reply # 1

yes!

i put it in the present b/c (i hope) there's still some like that out there.

fuck you.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:22 PM

5. "refixed!!"
In response to Reply # 4

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:24 PM

6. "RE: Fixed: Black music was better when it didn't seek approval"
In response to Reply # 1

there's some truth to that. although in a selfish way i kinda liked the music borne from the insecurity because it had an energy and ambition to it.

i don't know if the stagnation in black music is due to more environmental factors like lack of music education in public schools or greater emphasis on celebrity vs. success or the structure of the music industry that focuses more on a quick, sure thing rather than experimentation and development.

but without bands and acts having the capability to cook new stuff up in studios and develop their sound over time, i don't see any way for enough acts to come up to really change how music is made and consumed.

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Fri May-11-12 03:40 AM

25. "Dizz and Duke's main thing wasnt to gain acceptance from whitey"
In response to Reply # 6

and it certainly wasnt Miles' intent.. Idk what in the EFF makes you think that

the fact it was NOT their intent allowed space for true and pure creative freedom,
and exchange of ideas.

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:26 PM

8. "Correct!"
In response to Reply # 1

!

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132218 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Fixed: Music is better when it doesn't seek approval"
In response to Reply # 1

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:47 PM

12. "RE: Fixed: Black music was better when it doesn't seek approval"
In response to Reply # 1

yep....approval from the the record executives and the consumers.....

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu May-10-12 05:03 PM

14. "from the White (read: mainstream) audience."
In response to Reply # 1

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu May-10-12 05:38 PM

16. "Sayeth Worde."
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2732 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:08 PM

2. "its the whitification of black america"
In response to Reply # 0

basically we are culturally assimilating...
the art we create now is popular because paradigm wise...its in line with western/capitalist values...

the "purer" black forms can never be "pop" here because its not accessible to most whites.. because it was more afrocentric in its ideas and approach.

so its jungle music and noise at first...and then as you add milk to that coffee ...it becomes light and sweet and easily digestible

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

DonWonJusuton
Member since Jun 28th 2003
3027 posts
Thu May-10-12 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "but is it accessible to young black america??? half the shit i listen"
In response to Reply # 2

to gets the side eye from more of my black peers than white folks..

i'll give you that the mainstream shift has more to do w/ western influences.. but i think the audiences have been conditioned as much or more than those making the music..

howardlloyd
2732 posts
Thu May-10-12 06:02 PM

20. "RE: but is it accessible to young black america??? half the shit i liste..."
In response to Reply # 15
Thu May-10-12 06:03 PM by howardlloyd

^^^ this is true too...

is that cultural lag though?

and i could be extremely jaded by my 15 years in the NYC DOE...

but these current crop of kids are the most externally "ghetto" and ironically the most europeanized in their thinking...

shit is bugged

edit: now that i think about it... its not ironic at all

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:24 PM

7. "I don't think it's anymore respected just more listened to"
In response to Reply # 0

If it was respected then hip hop and r n'b would be in a lot different place right now. B/c to me for it to be respected it'd mean that quality would be trump everything else and that's clearly not the case.

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:28 PM

9. "but people in the know, music people, respected it"
In response to Reply # 0

they respected jazz back then

and they respected rap before it blew up too

arguably, people respect it less now, when its gone mainstream

but thats the way it happens with a lot of black music, it takes a long time to enter mainstream consciousness and win wider approval, then once it gets it, and usually through great compromise, it loses the respect it had, and then theres nowhere for it to go once it falls out of commercial favour

howardlloyd
2732 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:43 PM

11. "this is a PC translation of my post"
In response to Reply # 9

i agree wholeheartedly

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu May-10-12 04:48 PM

13. "word."
In response to Reply # 9

fuck you.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu May-10-12 05:45 PM

17. "^"
In response to Reply # 9

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu May-10-12 05:55 PM

18. "how is it not respected when EVERYBODY tries to copy it?"
In response to Reply # 0

No matter WHAT Genre of music it is, there's always some other act copying and mass producing their version of Black Music somewhere in the world.
We've seen American and International acts copying everything from Jazz, to Blues, To RnB, to Funk, all the way down to Disco, Dance Music and Hip-Hop. It doesn't stop.

I mean DAYUM,son...A Korean Group doing Gospel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzMcIo68qI

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Thu May-10-12 06:01 PM

19. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 18

>I mean DAYUM,son...A Korean Group doing Gospel:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzMcIo68qI
>
>
>
>
>

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu May-10-12 06:17 PM

21. "but they gettin' they praise ON, ain't they?"
In response to Reply # 19

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu May-10-12 08:24 PM

22. "right?"
In response to Reply # 21

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri May-11-12 05:11 PM

28. "It's a byproduct of america's influence on popular culture worldwide..."
Fri May-11-12 05:14 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Of course, black american music is inseparable from american music period but I always find it strange when people single out just specifically black music as something that gets appropriated worldwide.

For example, a lot of swedes think that swedish hip-hop is some wannabe black thing and people call those rappers wiggers and so on. However, how pure "swedish" is indie-rock or metal or euro-techno? In ALL those cases, it's a matter of cultural appropriation; it's not like your typical swede have THAT much more culturally in common with the white american than the black one-they are both alien but since one is a different race, people make a big deal out of it.

Meanwhile, swedish people can play, say, american-style pop-punk with lyrics about highschool proms and NOONE will call them wannabes-it's hypocritical and silly...

EDIT:In the case of, say, japanese or Korean people, they will be accused of cultural appropriation regardless of if they play the blackest funk or the whitest indie and that is of course because they are neither black nor white. It's hilarious how much race informs how the authenticity of the artist is judged...

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Fri May-11-12 06:33 PM

33. "i know personally"
In response to Reply # 28

i feel putoff when i feel an artist is making 'Black' music and is apeing the aesthetic but doesn't respect the social conditions or emotional space that made the original Black artist(s) make the music they made.

i guess i ought to and kinda would feel putoff if I heard a European Country artist. i would think, they have 'their' own circumstances of their life, how could it be that they could make authentic American Country music. but then again, Americans make well-crafted European Classical music and i wouldn't think, 'those musicians are bougie or wannabees.'

i also don't feel that acts like The Beatles or maybe The Rolling Stones or even modern day Rock acts who have musicians that are White are apeing Black music. in the case of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, i think it's because they at least really respected the music of the people they were influenced by and also added a unique, authentic part of themselves in the music and in the case of the White Rock acts i feel they're just not really serious musicians or that they just have a different take on things.

Peter Drucker

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sat May-12-12 07:30 AM

36. "as much as I like The Beatles, I gotta disagree..."
In response to Reply # 33

>i feel putoff when i feel an artist is making 'Black' music
>and is apeing the aesthetic but doesn't respect the social
>conditions or emotional space that made the original Black
>artist(s) make the music they made.
>

Ennh. there's a lot of TERRIBLE non-Black Bluesmen, but I do believe they "Get it". People who grew up in shit conditions and have the same world view as Black Bluesmen...they just suck at playing Blues.

>i guess i ought to and kinda would feel putoff if I heard a
>European Country artist. i would think, they have 'their' own
>circumstances of their life, how could it be that they could
>make authentic American Country music. but then again,
>Americans make well-crafted European Classical music and i
>wouldn't think, 'those musicians are bougie or wannabees.'

To be fair, I think 'Country' is just what we call it. But I think all corners of the world have regional ( read: Rural) music that would fit the same criteria and should be judged fairly. Now obviously it would *sound* like American Country Music, but the ethos would be the same...
>

>i also don't feel that acts like The Beatles or maybe The
>Rolling Stones or even modern day Rock acts who have musicians
>that are White are apeing Black music. in the case of The
>Beatles or The Rolling Stones, i think it's because they at
>least really respected the music of the people they were
>influenced by and also added a unique, authentic part of
>themselves in the music and in the case of the White Rock acts
>i feel they're just not really serious musicians or that they
>just have a different take on things.

Nah. The Beatles started off their careers playing a shitload of Covers of old Soul and RnB songs. But once they blew up? They never went back to it. That's kinda telling, don't you think?
As far as the Stones? I'm not really a huge stones fan, but they did it too, to some degree. Their biggest hit is probably "Satisfaction", and they took their name from Muddy Waters. Shit, they first place they went when they landed here was Chess Records.

I'm sure they liked the music and it obviously influenced them, but there (was) a little bit of thievery goin' on...

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Fri May-11-12 06:16 PM

31. "i guess imitation is the best form of flattery"

and to be honest and forthcoming here, i don't generally listen to 'new' music. but i just hear people copying notes, and not the 'feel' of the music.

i know with there being fewer and fewer bands and those bands not having the opportunity to mess around and play unorthodox things or even well-crafted music since labels don't develop artists anymore. it's either sell or get dropped nowadays. but i just don't or rarely hear anything that contains many of the musical expertise and emotional elements found in music of the past.

i know, from reading a post in here, that the artists i mentioned weren't consciously working to satisfy listeners, but they seemed driven by some need to prove themselves, either to other musicians or critics or to themselves. perhaps a challenge of the modern generation is that there isn't 'anything left to prove'. it's not like anyone saying 'hip-hop isn't music' would be seen as having an credibility or any sense of knowledge about the matter.

i don't think the matter is just that modern artists aren't listening to older artists, it just seems that they're just copying and not internalizing and offering up their own ideas.

Peter Drucker

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu May-10-12 08:32 PM

23. "who are you? Milt Romney meets David Duke Meets the Klan?"
In response to Reply # 0

what sorry Racist thread to make. no nothing turkeys have no sense of history whatsoever.

Black Music been respected since White slave Owners were selling us like a Reality show left and right.

whatcha talking bout Mr. Drummond?

Black folks don't need no white folks approval at all. this is beyond music though.

white folks love Black Music and they be having those fantasys with it think back to Pino in "Do the Right thing".

same ole same.

Black folks make White folks clone it and water it down and then sell 5 more like it.

next some turkey is going to want an R&B artist to write a theme song to Fox News and Bill O'Reily or something?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Fri May-11-12 06:22 PM

32. "RE: who are you? Milt Romney meets David Duke Meets the Klan?"
In response to Reply # 23

>Black folks don't need no white folks approval at all. this is
>beyond music though.

that is true, but i also feel that Black people (and artists since they are part of the larger culture) maybe don't outright seek White approval, but feel (and maybe this is just me and my upbringing) angry about being not viewed as equals or respected as people on their own and act in ways to disable White people's judgement of them.

it could be as subtle as acting 'nice' when someone feels triggered or as overt, for example, as pulling back the energy of a song to have it be seen as more marketable.

Peter Drucker

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri May-11-12 10:54 PM

35. "Miles Davis said it best in his book"
In response to Reply # 32

Black folks are the best actors on the planet and when it comes to coding and doing certain things, etc.. white folks ain't never going to know or truly accept what we really think and feel.

thing is Black acts in the music industry do tow the line and the money, etc.. makes it as such.

when black acts turn down black writers and will speak to white writers and rolling stone, etc.. that speaks to Black folk turning down our own.

cross over and managers, etc.. its nothing new and quite a few black acts sought out white approval when they never had to, because the music and following was strong, however made to feel that only being R&B ain't good enough in Amerikkka.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri May-11-12 12:35 AM

24. "Do You Really Think Black Artists Made Music They Didn't Respect?"
In response to Reply # 0

Today it's tons of that going on but in the past do you really think black music or music being played by black musicians and sung by black vocalist wasn't respecting what they loved to do, cause if you think they didn't then you're wrong.

I will say that from your topic/title of your thread, it seems like you think black music wasn't any good until non-blacks approved it as being worthy of being good music, that's just a fucking shame that black music has been seen this way cause it really lowers the value of it to minds who listen to music; and it just shows how many people who listen to music don't give a fuck about it but just listen to it cause it's background noise when they need something to occupy their minds, smh.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Fri May-11-12 06:07 PM

30. "i see what you mean"
In response to Reply # 24

but that wasn't what i was hoping to get at in my post.

i was being kind of arrogant, but i was wondering why more artists don't respect the craft of making music and use it as a means of expression or an avenue for creativity and the simple enjoyment of liking music and liking music that is both enjoyable and challenging.

i know there have been musicians 'use' music for financial gain and to prop up their own ego since music has been made, but there have always been musicians whose skill and talent and ability to convey meaning in their work.

it seems given the way music gets presented to people that people don't respect artists who are talented and respect their audience and listen to really unfufilling music. i know part of my feelings are me being unwilling to accept modern music for what it is and give new things a chance, but part of me feels that there's just a dearth of music that overpowers you and makes you feel that sense of 'rightness' that you feel when you hear something really, really good.

i mean Jay-Z is probably known as the best rapper / artist in popular Black music and he's talented and skilled, but he's also as well known for riding trends and making music that's hot right now rather than playing what he individually feels is good and making a lane for himself (American Gangster might be an exception, but...)

maybe i'm just stuck in the past and don't know what's good now to determine who or what is 'next', but i just don't run across anything made recently that gives me 'that' feeling.

* goes back to listening to Main Source *

Peter Drucker

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Fri May-11-12 05:05 AM

26. "when Black people had there own cultural spaces"
In response to Reply # 0

to create art in

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Fri May-11-12 04:57 PM

27. "We still do."
In response to Reply # 26

it's just that many acts nowadays see music as a "hustle" and not Art.

How many times have we heard some idiotic shit like:

"...man if it wasn't for this music shit, I'd be out on the block moving bricks..."

and not in the "Music is the way I channeled by focus, and presented my talents to the world" sense. But more in the "It was either Music or Crime" sense.

or how many discussions in The Lesson have invoked the Industry Buzzwords; "marketing", "promoted", "business model" and all that shit, and completely ignore the musical out put of said artist?

smooth va
Member since May 02nd 2005
6059 posts
Fri May-11-12 05:14 PM

29. "*affirmatively nods*"
In response to Reply # 27

"This is dedicated to whom it may concern."-Donny Hathaway

redbaron
Charter member
4254 posts
Fri May-11-12 09:52 PM

34. "oh......you're 'that' guy?"
In response to Reply # 0

>i was listening to Solo Dancer - Track A from Mingus and i
>was going crazy in my seat on the bus just lost in the music.
>

i hope it was a school bus

you have sexually transmitted crazy mouth...DEALBREAKER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdIMxP70sAM&feature=related

Lobby The Lesson topic #2697376 Previous topic | Next topic