Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2649153

Subject: "HedRush Episode #43 - L.A. Hip-Hop Appreciation pt. 1" Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
43151 posts
Fri Jan-13-12 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"HedRush Episode #43 - L.A. Hip-Hop Appreciation pt. 1"


  

          

The HedRush is back again, this time celebrating Southern California hip-hop from the '80s and '90s. In studio we have special guest DJ Mark Luv, Zulu Nation King, former Pharcyde DJ, original Heavyweighter, and co-founder of the Unity hip-hop event (a L.A. mainstay during the '90s). He tells a few stories and provides some cool insight on the scene while he was coming up.

Here's the link:

http://hedrush.podomatic.com/entry/index/2012-01-12T22_37_31-08_00

And hey, if you're thinking to yourself, "Hey, where's the L.A. gangsta shit?", well, we already did an episode about that. Follow this link to that episode:

http://hedrush.podomatic.com/entry/index/2011-06-24T11_33_23-07_00

So, as always, check 'em out and tell a friend.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top


Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You know I'm all over this
Jan 13th 2012
1
Dope. Hope you like it.
Jan 13th 2012
2
Mark Luv is a little obnoxious
Jan 13th 2012
3
Eh, that's just Mark tho... He likes to fuck with me while I'm doing
Jan 13th 2012
4
      haha...Lil' Puppet
Jan 13th 2012
5
RE: HedRush Episode #43 - L.A. Hip-Hop Appreciation pt. 1
Jan 13th 2012
6
yeah my bad. obnoxious was probably the wrong word
Jan 14th 2012
7
Thanks for the props, sir. I appreciate it.
Jan 14th 2012
8
I'm in. Thanks for this.
Jan 14th 2012
9
^^^bump
Jan 17th 2012
10
how did I miss this ?
Jan 17th 2012
11
^^^bump again
Jan 18th 2012
12
Great podcast
Jan 18th 2012
13

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Fri Jan-13-12 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You know I'm all over this"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-13-12 12:17 PM by OldPro

  

          

good to see some cali love

*edit*

Oh shit, you kicked it off with Listen Up... you bringing back some good memories with that one. 94 was like the height of my hip hop fandom... the rest of this set list is looking tasty too.
_________________________________
Reunion Radio Podcasts
Bringing Together Five Decades of R&B/Funk/Soul/Dance

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
43151 posts
Fri Jan-13-12 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Dope. Hope you like it."
In response to Reply # 1


  

          


>Oh shit, you kicked it off with Listen Up... you bringing back
>some good memories with that one. 94 was like the height of my
>hip hop fandom... the rest of this set list is looking tasty
>too.

Yep, that 12" was my shit. I don't care what Mark said on the show, if Erule had dropped an album during that period, it would have been dope. Refuse to believe otherwise.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Mageddon
Charter member
4016 posts
Fri Jan-13-12 04:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Mark Luv is a little obnoxious"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-13-12 04:22 PM by Mageddon

  

          

and I'm perfectly comfortable saying that because KRS One says we have to hold hip hop (podcast guest hosts) accountable.

That said, dude has a wealth of knowledge and history, and I really enjoyed his thoughts on the song and artists you played. Learned a bit here, and this was definitely one of my favorite episodes. I can't wait for part two.

Some thoughts on the playlist:

I didn't know Erule put out an album. I might seek it out, and give it a skim. I agree with Mark that the production on Listen was the highlight of the track, but I'd also give Erule credit as well. He didn't do anything amazing in terms of lyrics or flow, but his tone was perfect. Kinda CL Smooth-ish.

That Madkap track I remember hearing on the radio. Might have it on one of my radio tapes. Happy to now know the title.

I had no idea that most people preferred the album version of Hot Potato. By the tone of Mark's voice, I get the impression that fans might have been insulted by the remix. I actually heard the remix first, and liked it a lot. It was the only track I heard back in the day outside of Boundaries. Speaking of which, the knowledge dropped on Daddy-O was great. I can see it being frustrating to the group and LA heads, but I think it worked. It was one of the main reasons I remember checking for the track. Way Cool as an A-side sounds really interesting to me now, but back then, if I heard it, it probably would have confused the hell out of me.

*Shameless plug, Mr. Hood and I discussed Freestyle Fellowship a few weeks ago here, http://allthingsx2.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-year-in-review-freestyle.html

Never heard of Lil' Puppet before listening to this. Sounds like a hanger-on type of person, so he probably doesn't warrant any more discussion.

Was never really a fan of Jurassic and their old-school styling. I do respect the pedigree though, and the fact that they were able find some commercial success in the later part of their career. Shitty that they broke up under those circumstances.

After listening to the episode I watched "Give It Here" on YouTube and laughed my ass off. I had some dancer friends, and I remember them always watching Def Jef videos, trying to draw inspiration from The Soul Brothers. Sucks to hear about 45 King and Flavor Unit.

Again, really dope episode.

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
43151 posts
Fri Jan-13-12 04:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Eh, that's just Mark tho... He likes to fuck with me while I'm doing "
In response to Reply # 3


  

          

this. It's more of "I'm talking shit because I haven't seen y'all in over a year" type of thing.

>That said, dude has a wealth of knowledge and history, and I
>really enjoyed his thoughts on the song and artists you
>played. Learned a bit here, and this was definitely one of my
>favorite episodes. I can't wait for part two.

Good, glad to be of service. From what I recall, Mark is a lot more mellow in the second installment.

>I didn't know Erule put out an album. I might seek it out, and
>give it a skim. I agree with Mark that the production on
>Listen was the highlight of the track, but I'd also give Erule
>credit as well. He didn't do anything amazing in terms of
>lyrics or flow, but his tone was perfect. Kinda CL
>Smooth-ish.

Yeah, "Cold Currentz" dropped in late 2001/early 2002. Not good. Actually, he had some unreleased tracks that surfaced in the late '90s that I got during my tape trading days. Definitely weren't recorded during the "Listen Up" era, but didn't end up on the debut album. They were pretty good. It was apparent (at least to me) that dude could actually rhyme and his flow improved.

>That Madkap track I remember hearing on the radio. Might have
>it on one of my radio tapes. Happy to now know the title.

"Look Ma Dukes..." is a pretty damn good album too. I'd recommend listening to it if you get a chance.

>I had no idea that most people preferred the album version of
>Hot Potato. By the tone of Mark's voice, I get the impression
>that fans might have been insulted by the remix. I actually
>heard the remix first, and liked it a lot. It was the only
>track I heard back in the day outside of Boundaries. Speaking
>of which, the knowledge dropped on Daddy-O was great. I can
>see it being frustrating to the group and LA heads, but I
>think it worked. It was one of the main reasons I remember
>checking for the track. Way Cool as an A-side sounds really
>interesting to me now, but back then, if I heard it, it
>probably would have confused the hell out of me.

You know, I don't think as many people hated it as Mark let's on. I think cats from LA who grew up with them before they got signed might have preferred the o.g., but I don't know if that's how most fans of the group reacted. Me, I like them both, and honestly, I don't think there's THAT much difference between the two.

And yes, "Way Cool" as a single would have melted most people's brains.

>*Shameless plug, Mr. Hood and I discussed Freestyle Fellowship
>a few weeks ago here,
>http://allthingsx2.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-year-in-review-freestyle.html

Yes, definitely check that out. Thanks again for that. Gotta link it on my page now. Forgot.

>Never heard of Lil' Puppet before listening to this. Sounds
>like a hanger-on type of person, so he probably doesn't
>warrant any more discussion.

LOL. That's not dude's name. "Lil Puppet" is a character in "American Me," and I get the impression that the Soul Assassins started calling him that after being kinda disgusted with his behavior (If you've seen the flick, you know what I mean). I have a ***guess*** as to his identity (in other words, I'm pretty sure he's a known personality), but Mark wouldn't confirm or deny anything when I asked him. I'll give you my theory via inbox if ya want.

>Was never really a fan of Jurassic and their old-school
>styling. I do respect the pedigree though, and the fact that
>they were able find some commercial success in the later part
>of their career. Shitty that they broke up under those
>circumstances.

You know, I didn't hate the third album, "Feedback." Even as a big fan of the first two full albums and especially the first EP. They are still one of the best hip-hop groups I've ever seen live. I feel like they never really got a chance to make the album they should have. But hey, that's part of being on Interscope.

>After listening to the episode I watched "Give It Here" on
>YouTube and laughed my ass off. I had some dancer friends, and
>I remember them always watching Def Jef videos, trying to draw
>inspiration from The Soul Brothers. Sucks to hear about 45
>King and Flavor Unit.

Catching the "Give it Here" video on Yo! MTV Raps was the first exposure I had to Def Jef. Hence, I was kind of taken aback when I saw the "Droppin Rhymes on Drums" video and "Black to the Future." I was like, "Um, is this really the same guy?" So when a few months later, JB loaned me the whole album, I was even more startled to hear the content of the entire thing.

>Again, really dope episode.

Word. Really glad you liked it. New one should be coming as soon as we cop a new external hard drive.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
Mageddon
Charter member
4016 posts
Fri Jan-13-12 05:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "haha...Lil' Puppet"
In response to Reply # 4


  

          

Yeah, American Me did come up a lot when I google searched. This also came up, so I thought it was him

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/55026889/Lil+Puppet+lilpuppet.jpg

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RHETTMATIC
Member since Dec 04th 2003
217 posts
Fri Jan-13-12 09:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: HedRush Episode #43 - L.A. Hip-Hop Appreciation pt. 1"
In response to Reply # 0


          

Peace Mr Hood....

First time hearing your podcast.....sounds great. Didn't know you're based out of the Bay Area.

Hearing these songs and hearing Mark talk about all the 'behind the scenes' stories brings back alot of memories during those days....ah yes, those were good memories

Thank you for playing "Blessings" on your podcast. My group the Visionaries were the type of group that you either love us or hate us...but we were just blessed (excuse the pun) to be part of the LA Underground/Independent Hip Hop scene & it's history.

And to the person that said Mark Luv is obnoxious, he is not. He's a great man with a big heart and is just like that with people he is friends with and comfortable with. I should know, Mark & myself always bag on each other when we see each other cause we have that type of friendship. And yes, Mark is a Triple OG....if anyone has the authority to speak upon the history of the LA Hip Hop Scene during the 90's, he does. I'm just lucky to known him for such a very looooong time....LOL!

But yeah...big respect....looking forward to hearing the 2nd part of your podcast.

Oh yeah....Rest In Peace Bigga B, Rob One, & Dj Dusk

Rhettmatic
Beat Junkies
Crown Royale
Cypress Junkies
Visionaries
http://www.twitter.com/rhettmatic






>The HedRush is back again, this time celebrating Southern
>California hip-hop from the '80s and '90s. In studio we have
>special guest DJ Mark Luv, Zulu Nation King, former Pharcyde
>DJ, original Heavyweighter, and co-founder of the Unity
>hip-hop event (a L.A. mainstay during the '90s). He tells a
>few stories and provides some cool insight on the scene while
>he was coming up.
>
>Here's the link:
>
>http://hedrush.podomatic.com/entry/index/2012-01-12T22_37_31-08_00
>
>And hey, if you're thinking to yourself, "Hey, where's the
>L.A. gangsta shit?", well, we already did an episode about
>that. Follow this link to that episode:
>
>http://hedrush.podomatic.com/entry/index/2011-06-24T11_33_23-07_00
>
>So, as always, check 'em out and tell a friend.

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
Mageddon
Charter member
4016 posts
Sat Jan-14-12 01:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "yeah my bad. obnoxious was probably the wrong word"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Jan-14-12 01:15 AM by Mageddon

  

          

Apologies for coming off disrespectful, Mr. Hood.

Anyway, I'll say it again, dope episode.

Everyone should peep.


>And to the person that said Mark Luv is obnoxious, he is not.
>He's a great man with a big heart and is just like that with
>people he is friends with and comfortable with. I should
>know, Mark & myself always bag on each other when we see each
>other cause we have that type of friendship. And yes, Mark is
>a Triple OG....if anyone has the authority to speak upon the
>history of the LA Hip Hop Scene during the 90's, he does. I'm
>just lucky to known him for such a very looooong time....LOL!

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
43151 posts
Sat Jan-14-12 01:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Thanks for the props, sir. I appreciate it."
In response to Reply # 6


  

          

It means a lot that an LA O.G. like yourself enjoyed the episode. Glad you took the time to check it out.

>Hearing these songs and hearing Mark talk about all the
>'behind the scenes' stories brings back alot of memories
>during those days....ah yes, those were good memories

Cool, that's what we were going for. Mark shares even more insight in part 2.

>Thank you for playing "Blessings" on your podcast. My group
>the Visionaries were the type of group that you either love us
>or hate us...but we were just blessed (excuse the pun) to be
>part of the LA Underground/Independent Hip Hop scene & it's
>history.

Been a fan of the crew since the first Key Kool and Rhett album. And I own the first three Visionaries albums. Y'all have always had y'all lane and did your thing. Also got a chance to see you guys perform at the "Unity Reunion" show in Summer 2010, and was glad to see that you guys still held it down on stage.

>And to the person that said Mark Luv is obnoxious, he is not.
>He's a great man with a big heart and is just like that with
>people he is friends with and comfortable with. I should
>know, Mark & myself always bag on each other when we see each
>other cause we have that type of friendship. And yes, Mark is
>a Triple OG....if anyone has the authority to speak upon the
>history of the LA Hip Hop Scene during the 90's, he does. I'm
>just lucky to known him for such a very looooong time....LOL!

I know my homie Mageddon didn't mean any disrespect. I know that's just how Mark likes to mess around, especially if you ain't seen him in a while. Shoot, I'm gone on talking shit back and forth with Mark for HOURS on end.

>But yeah...big respect....looking forward to hearing the 2nd
>part of your podcast.

Word. Should be coming soon.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Sat Jan-14-12 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
9. "I'm in. Thanks for this."
In response to Reply # 0


  

          

>The HedRush is back again, this time celebrating Southern
>California hip-hop from the '80s and '90s. In studio we have
>special guest DJ Mark Luv, Zulu Nation King, former Pharcyde
>DJ, original Heavyweighter, and co-founder of the Unity
>hip-hop event (a L.A. mainstay during the '90s). He tells a
>few stories and provides some cool insight on the scene while
>he was coming up.
>
>Here's the link:
>
>http://hedrush.podomatic.com/entry/index/2012-01-12T22_37_31-08_00
>
>And hey, if you're thinking to yourself, "Hey, where's the
>L.A. gangsta shit?", well, we already did an episode about
>that. Follow this link to that episode:
>
>http://hedrush.podomatic.com/entry/index/2011-06-24T11_33_23-07_00
>
>So, as always, check 'em out and tell a friend.


silk.later Reunion radio with Old P. & Silk http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

"i'm talking about *Balls Deep*....In Love (c)Cleveland Jr.

He was cultivating a fine nigga farm (c)Goldmind.

R.I.P Jamie Hubley

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
43151 posts
Tue Jan-17-12 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "^^^bump"
In response to Reply # 0


  

          

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ally Al 2003
Member since Oct 02nd 2003
10529 posts
Tue Jan-17-12 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "how did I miss this ?"
In response to Reply # 0


  

          

as always looking forward to checking it, thanks fam

AND props from Rhettmatic, very nice

.....
NEW PRINCE MIX : SHUT UP, ALREADY, JAM !!

http://allyal3.podOmatic.com

Check Mixcloud Also >> http://www.mixcloud.com/AllyAl3000/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
43151 posts
Wed Jan-18-12 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "^^^bump again"
In response to Reply # 0


  

          

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
Snapper Carr
Member since Jul 24th 2006
102 posts
Wed Jan-18-12 03:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Great podcast"
In response to Reply # 12


  

          

90s LA underground was/is my shit

Great insight from Mark Luv on the songs and the groups.

My fingers say it all.
***SNAP***

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2649153 Previous topic | Next topic
Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.25
Copyright © DCScripts.com