Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMark Luv is a little obnoxious
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2649153&mesg_id=2649393
2649393, Mark Luv is a little obnoxious
Posted by Mageddon, Fri Jan-13-12 04:21 PM
and I'm perfectly comfortable saying that because KRS One says we have to hold hip hop (podcast guest hosts) accountable.

That said, dude has a wealth of knowledge and history, and I really enjoyed his thoughts on the song and artists you played. Learned a bit here, and this was definitely one of my favorite episodes. I can't wait for part two.

Some thoughts on the playlist:

I didn't know Erule put out an album. I might seek it out, and give it a skim. I agree with Mark that the production on Listen was the highlight of the track, but I'd also give Erule credit as well. He didn't do anything amazing in terms of lyrics or flow, but his tone was perfect. Kinda CL Smooth-ish.

That Madkap track I remember hearing on the radio. Might have it on one of my radio tapes. Happy to now know the title.

I had no idea that most people preferred the album version of Hot Potato. By the tone of Mark's voice, I get the impression that fans might have been insulted by the remix. I actually heard the remix first, and liked it a lot. It was the only track I heard back in the day outside of Boundaries. Speaking of which, the knowledge dropped on Daddy-O was great. I can see it being frustrating to the group and LA heads, but I think it worked. It was one of the main reasons I remember checking for the track. Way Cool as an A-side sounds really interesting to me now, but back then, if I heard it, it probably would have confused the hell out of me.

*Shameless plug, Mr. Hood and I discussed Freestyle Fellowship a few weeks ago here, http://allthingsx2.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-year-in-review-freestyle.html

Never heard of Lil' Puppet before listening to this. Sounds like a hanger-on type of person, so he probably doesn't warrant any more discussion.

Was never really a fan of Jurassic and their old-school styling. I do respect the pedigree though, and the fact that they were able find some commercial success in the later part of their career. Shitty that they broke up under those circumstances.

After listening to the episode I watched "Give It Here" on YouTube and laughed my ass off. I had some dancer friends, and I remember them always watching Def Jef videos, trying to draw inspiration from The Soul Brothers. Sucks to hear about 45 King and Flavor Unit.

Again, really dope episode.