Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13498329

Subject: "Taxes! (How you doing for 2023?)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Taxes! (How you doing for 2023?)"

It's tax time again.

What you using? What you owe? What you get back? What you buying?

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Who's tried a free online tax service?
Feb 01st 2024
Thanks for this
Feb 01st 2024
I’ve been doing mine in Cash App Taxes.
Feb 01st 2024
RE: Who's tried a free online tax service?
Feb 02nd 2024
not sure, hoping to break even
Feb 01st 2024
break even gang over here.
Feb 01st 2024
Student Loan Debt forgiveness waived on Fed taxes until 2025
Feb 01st 2024
Thanks, I definitely forgot about that waiver until 2025
Feb 01st 2024
Best case scenario for me lol
Feb 01st 2024
I'm gonna owe again because I am a 100% procrastinating dumbass
Feb 01st 2024
a coworker got a nice surprise
Feb 01st 2024
Job only sent W2 by mail, this year…
Feb 01st 2024
I can't call it....been a surprise every year for the past 4-5 years...
Feb 01st 2024
my MIL offered to pay to have our taxes done by her accountant
Feb 02nd 2024
right! nightmare material. I've been doing my own taxes since age 15
Feb 02nd 2024
Not sure how old your mom is but you may want to check
Feb 02nd 2024
      i'll check for that. thanks. mainly I want to get a better idea of her
Feb 02nd 2024
I Live in NY. I Paid a Salary in Taxes!
Feb 02nd 2024
If I'm not mistaken
Feb 02nd 2024
I use H&R Block. I usually get something back because...
Feb 02nd 2024
Owed over $7k :(
Feb 06th 2024
IRS site shows my refund approved and will be deposited on the 14th..
Feb 10th 2024
Might not owe much this year...
Feb 10th 2024

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Who's tried a free online tax service?"
In response to Reply # 0

I did a draft of my taxes in the online TurboTax and in the free FreeTaxUSA https://www.freetaxusa.com/ and the numbers match exactly.

Turbotax cost like $40 bucks plus the state filing free of $15.

FreeTaxUSA is free for federal and cost $15 to file state - or I assume you can print out state and just mail it in yourself.

(My taxes are just income and interest income - nothing fancy.)

Can anyone recommend a different service?

Or is it worth it to pay someone to do the taxes - can they "find" more deductions that are "legal?"

------------

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5824 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 10:51 AM

3. "Thanks for this"
In response to Reply # 1

Mine are essentially done in TurboTax but not submitted (I used QuickBooks Self Employed until September of last year so importing was super easy). I'm due for a small refund, even after TurboTax fees. Part of me wants to try FreeTaxUSA but I hate bothering with taxes and the work is already done, so I might just eat the fees this year and switch next year.

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://www.themonarchbrand.com/

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23934 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 11:15 AM

10. "I’ve been doing mine in Cash App Taxes."
In response to Reply # 1

Totally free, but I have a very simple setup. Just one W-2 for the past few years.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

rzaroch36
Member since Jan 26th 2005
2462 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 08:49 AM

14. "RE: Who's tried a free online tax service?"
In response to Reply # 1

Been using free tax usa for years. If all you have are w2’s, mortgage, basic things then it is fine. Most people don’t have more than standard deduction anyways.

I won $120k last year on fantasy sports lol. Hoping I walk away paying around $40k in taxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5P6zdlPJ34&feature=related
^^^ever walked the streets of...

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80383 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 09:52 AM

2. "not sure, hoping to break even"
In response to Reply # 0

I had my student loans forgiven and have no idea if that will impact tax return.

Also used Obamacare last year and have no idea how that impacts tax return.

Only thing I’m buying with a tax return is less debt. I’m trying to take the family on a cruise this summer so maybe some of it will go towards that IF we get a return.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PROMO
Charter member
31395 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "break even gang over here."
In response to Reply # 2

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 10:57 AM

5. "Student Loan Debt forgiveness waived on Fed taxes until 2025"
In response to Reply # 2

That's Biden's American Rescue program in effect!

You may have state income owed, but it varies by state.

------------

legsdiamond
80383 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 11:10 AM

8. "Thanks, I definitely forgot about that waiver until 2025"
In response to Reply # 5

sevencents thinks I’m bought and paid for by Biden and no longer care about Genocide and Pandemic deaths and he’s right.

Getting my students loans forgiven is a HUGE financial burden off my shoulders
and gives my family much needed relief.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32137 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 10:59 AM

6. "Best case scenario for me lol"
In response to Reply # 2

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13420 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 11:09 AM

7. "I'm gonna owe again because I am a 100% procrastinating dumbass"
In response to Reply # 0

My POS (worth billions) part time job has been taking the wrong amount of taxes out, so I'm going to owe again. The entire office in fact has the same issue, so I know it's not me but an systemic issue.

A smart person would have gotten (I don't know the correct form number) to increase the amount of money they take out, but I was so angry after going back and forth with them that I couldn't even think about it without getting angry.

Not looking forward to that, so I'm waiting till the very last minute to do 'em.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

legsdiamond
80383 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 01:57 PM

11. "a coworker got a nice surprise"
In response to Reply # 7

somehow her withholdings was changed to zero and now they owe a nice amount of stacks.

They mad..

and it looks like mine was changed to zero as well so I’m sure my state taxes will be shit again. We always owe stat taxes which is why I set aside like $20 a check to offset it.

Dstl1
Charter member
56295 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 11:10 AM

9. "Job only sent W2 by mail, this year…"
In response to Reply # 0

received mine this past Saturday afternoon…was on Turbo Tax within minutes. Federal and State done and e-filed, both accepted on Monday. Now we wait. State wasn’t much, so whenever whenever. Federal was cool…roughly $60 bucks more than last year. Navy Federal always runs your money to you early, so now I’m just checking the IRS Where’s My Refund joint, once a day.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44646 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 02:45 PM

12. "I can't call it....been a surprise every year for the past 4-5 years..."
In response to Reply # 0

Generally we owe Federal but get a State refund.
Generally the State Refund covers the Federal bill and we break almost even.

The wrinkle this year, for me anyway, is that i'm mulling over doing my mom's taxes for her. I was going to pick up for her immediately after my dad died but I wasn't sure if i'd be able to work through any complexities that a death would have caused to her tax situation. Now that we're a year removed from that, I don't want her to keep paying this old lady at her church to do her taxes....BUT I also fear that if I take them over I might fuck around and get her audited if that old church lady has been doing some fun math for them over the past 25 years....
WWJD?

legsdiamond
80383 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 08:41 AM

13. "my MIL offered to pay to have our taxes done by her accountant"
In response to Reply # 12

we all got audited that year.

Never again.

FLUIDJ
44646 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 09:19 AM

17. "right! nightmare material. I've been doing my own taxes since age 15"
In response to Reply # 13

first part time job at Kmart.
Never was comfortable with the idea of somebody else managing my tax affairs.
Even when it got more complex when we had rental property and I was running my own biz, I still did that shit dolo. I've just never seen the advantages or need to pay someone. It's usually just a 2-3hr chunk out of our Sunday afternoon to knock them out.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6614 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 09:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Not sure how old your mom is but you may want to check"
In response to Reply # 12

Senior Centers in your area. There's one here that offers free tax filing/help for those 65yo+

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

FLUIDJ
44646 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 09:16 AM

16. "i'll check for that. thanks. mainly I want to get a better idea of her"
In response to Reply # 15

financial situation going forward....hopefully to ease the inevitable estate affairs when she passes away

Thee Phantom
Member since Jul 18th 2005
2784 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "I Live in NY. I Paid a Salary in Taxes! "
In response to Reply # 0

It's way past time to relocate.

I've had 4 company bonuses in the last 2 years and they've taken over 50% of them shits.

IG: @illharmonic.orchestra
Youtube: www.youtube.com/theephantom

Numba_33
Charter member
19433 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 10:40 AM

19. "If I'm not mistaken"
In response to Reply # 18

correcting the SALT changes put into effect while Trump was in office would help out in some regard to that, no?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
14169 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 06:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "I use H&R Block. I usually get something back because..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-02-24 06:29 PM by c71

....I put in for extra to be taken out Fed & State so I can be SURE I don't have to up-front pay the H&R Block fee (it'll be taken out of the refund).

Yeah, I'm like Gwyneth Paltrow's mom Blythe Danner who did an interview where she said she wants to give the IRS as much as possible without trying to take any tax breaks. I aim to get them to take out as much as possible and extra so I know I'm getting something back (again because I want the H&R Block fee COVERED NO QUESTION)

I got to use H&R Block because they claim they'll go to court to defend their work if necessary in an audit or whatever.

Thankfully, my job doesn't mess with the withholdings (I check regularly). They say only the employees can alter the withholdings. My brother said the place he works for tries to change the withholdings for the employees sometimes.

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 10:02 AM

21. "Owed over $7k :("
In response to Reply # 0

My W-2 was fine - it's that interest rates have risen.

So it was a good year that somehow feel less good after taxes.

------------

Dstl1
Charter member
56295 posts
Sat Feb-10-24 06:47 AM

22. "IRS site shows my refund approved and will be deposited on the 14th.."
In response to Reply # 0

I know Navy Federal will slide it to me earlier. Overall, not too shabby…return accepted on 1/29, approved on 2/10, deposit scheduled for 2/14.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Sat Feb-10-24 09:19 PM

23. "Might not owe much this year..."
In response to Reply # 0

Not filing until like late March.

I always owe.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Lobby General Discussion topic #13498329 Previous topic | Next topic