Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13488297

Subject: "What is the end goal of the #WritersStrike? " Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Jul-12-23 10:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What is the end goal of the #WritersStrike? "

With that article that just came out it seems that studios are prepared to wait out until the union starts to bleed until members are are in a financial crisis.

But whats the real goal, what are the sticking points and what is the solution?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's going to be disaster I am afraid.
Jul 12th 2023
The studios are not prepared to wait out the strike
Jul 12th 2023
I'm not sure why people on the internet are reading one article
Jul 12th 2023
Obviously Longo or *yanks collar* desus would have better insight
Jul 13th 2023
Why would streaming effect how involved writers are?
Jul 13th 2023
      here.
Jul 13th 2023
           But that's not a streaming specific issue right?
Jul 13th 2023
                fair and good point.
Jul 13th 2023
                This is why we need viewer transparency with streaming.
Jul 17th 2023
The studios wrote that article lol.
Jul 13th 2023
isn't more money the goal in most strikes? honestly asking
Jul 13th 2023
No, it's also about job security and career path/opportunities
Jul 13th 2023
      all that is to make more money.. lol
Jul 13th 2023
*sides with the writers* and buys puts on entertainment stocks
Jul 13th 2023
tell us where to invest. i loved your crypto advice!
Jul 13th 2023
      RE: Crypto's a scam according to you, right?
Jul 13th 2023
           How do you know he was being sarcastic?
Jul 15th 2023
                I love how he post the warning about it not being financial advice
Jul 17th 2023
Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!!!
Jul 13th 2023
So the directors are dickwads no?
Jul 13th 2023
only 41 percent voted in favor
Jul 13th 2023
Reading is fundamental.
Jul 13th 2023
      you're right, only 35 percent voted in favor
Jul 13th 2023
The DGA is part of the problem...
Jul 13th 2023
i just saw homie who directed the new Haunted Mansion movie...
Jul 17th 2023
Well, a huge chunk of directors only work in reality/non-scripted.
Jul 17th 2023
Actors say Hollywood studios want their AI replicas — for free, foreve...
Jul 14th 2023
Black Mirror S6, ep 1 touched on this
Jul 14th 2023
And this is a specific one on which the AMPTP isn't budging currently.
Jul 17th 2023
honestly, i've been really surprised at the vitriol from actors to the.....
Jul 17th 2023
that Perlman video was pretty corny
Jul 17th 2023
      i guess you can think that.
Jul 17th 2023
      it's not the sentiment, it's more the character
Jul 17th 2023
           he's method, lol.
Jul 17th 2023
                on that note there are layoffs all over the industry behind this
Jul 17th 2023
      Execs reportedly said they're willing to let writers be on strike until ...
Jul 17th 2023
           I know what he was responding to
Jul 17th 2023
Jul 17th 2023
Here’s a complete and concise summary of what writers want.
Jul 18th 2023
This is why we're on strike...
Jul 20th 2023
thks for this....
Jul 22nd 2023
https://www.wgacontract2023.org/take-action/stand-with-writers
Jul 23rd 2023
It’s still difficult for average person to relate/understand…
Jul 28th 2023
      seems like it should be easy to have compassion for small ass checks
Jul 28th 2023
      I wasn’t clear, i have compassion…but not because of the residuals i...
Jul 28th 2023
           https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvNkecUtxq9/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Jul 30th 2023
      87% of SAG earns less than 26K a year.
Jul 29th 2023
What AI protections exist now?
Jul 29th 2023
Copyright, trademark law and right of publicity
Jul 30th 2023
if only music artists had a union…
Jul 31st 2023
We do.
Sep 25th 2023
We have a tentative agreement...
Sep 25th 2023
Hope the deal is what you all deserve
Sep 25th 2023
Appreciate that...
Sep 25th 2023
The committee calling the deal "exceptional" gives me hope.
Sep 25th 2023
Same here...
Sep 25th 2023
      Me too.
Sep 26th 2023
so happy to hear this news; thanks for sharing
Sep 25th 2023
I think the reality of AI is sinking in with a lot of media companies.
Sep 25th 2023

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Wed Jul-12-23 10:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's going to be disaster I am afraid. "
In response to Reply # 0

And the problem is because the TV model got F'd up by streaming.

The streamers will tell you they are losing money while they are simultaneously burning cash and overpaying executives and top show runners.

I hope the actors join the writers, but it's going to be a cold winter. I think it doesn't get fixed until they figure out a new model.

Here is a good article with good background.

https://www.vulture.com/2023/06/streaming-industry-netflix-max-disney-hulu-apple-tv-prime-video-peacock-paramount.html

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6576 posts
Wed Jul-12-23 11:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The studios are not prepared to wait out the strike"
In response to Reply # 0

and that's why those pieces dropped at the time and in the manner that they did on the cusp of a potential double strike. Studios are looking down the barrel of those quarterly earnings calls and the slates/seasons for next year and are panicked.

Big strategic error that seems to only have emboldened and re-energized the writers and SAG members.

Issues around AI is one of the biggest sticking points and the fact that AMPTP is not even trying to negotiate is a tell on just how important these issues are as is what the DGA settled for a few weeks back.

Best-case scenario is SAG strikes (something like 97% of members who voted did so to authorize a strike a few weeks back) and that'll force the studios back to the table much quicker.

The lessons of 2007-08 loom large and I don't think the writers and actors are playing this time around because they know too much is at stake and they didn't get what they should have last time and getting fucked with no vaseline as a result while empires were built and wealth consolidated at mindboggling speed.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Wed Jul-12-23 01:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm not sure why people on the internet are reading one article"
In response to Reply # 0

and deciding they understand the dynamics of each side?

this is pretty standard for union negotiations.

I'm fairly certain the writers have a website that lays out their asks

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 04:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Obviously Longo or *yanks collar* desus would have better insight"
In response to Reply # 0

But as Buddy and navajo said, payment for writers is completely fucked right now. While the job is arguably less exclusive than it used to be, most writers aren't working more than a month, if that, on a show. Maybe more importantly, they aren't involved in the production of the show AT ALL.

This is Mike Schur's main sticking point, and I think it should be the loudest. He wasn't just in the writer's room for The Office, he was on set and re-writing lines with the actors based on the vibe of the shoot. He was also interacting with set designers, craft service people, lighting techs, so on.

That kind of experience leads him to develop Parks & Rec, Brooklyn 99, The Good Place, and advise on a bunch of other pilots and network shows, becoming kind of a TV Judd Apatow. Obviously not everybody would get to do that, but the streamer model (specifically Netflix and Amazon, though Hulu and the Max arm of HBO aren't far behind) basically barricades growth from every angle, so even beyond the total drought of residual payments that allow writers to confidently pour 4 months of their lives into show hoping for a recurring living wage if the show succeeds, the writers don't want to be thrown into a conference room for a couple weeks, toss of some jokes they THINK Actor X might be able to make work and then never get to actually engage with said show, actor and line to adjust it if needed.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 08:05 AM

5. "Why would streaming effect how involved writers are?"
In response to Reply # 4

navajo joe
6576 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 08:24 AM

6. "here."
In response to Reply # 5

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/writers-guild-contract-negotiation-mini-room-1235568173/#!

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/05/08/writers-on-set/

Excerpt:

"And that, in my opinion, is the most important of the things that the Guild is fighting for. The right to have that kind of career path. To enable new writers, young writers, and yes, prose writers, to climb the same ladder.

Right now, they can’t. Streamers and shortened seasons have blown the ladder to splinters. The way it works now, a show gets put in development, the showrunner assembles a “mini-room,” made up of a couple of senior writers and a couple newcomers, they meet for a month or two, beat out the season, break down the episodes, go off and write scripts, reassemble, get notes, give notes, rewrite, rinse and repeat… and finally turn into the scripts. And show is greenlit (or not, some shows never get past the room) and sent into production. The showrunner and his second, maybe his second and his third, take it from there. The writer producers. The ones who already know all the things that I learned on TWILIGHT ZONE.

The junior writers? They’re not there. Once they delivered their scripts and did a revision of two, they were paid, sent home, their salary ended. They are off looking for another gig. If the series gets another season, maybe they will be brought back. Maybe they won’t. Maybe they can’t, since they are off in another mini-room for another show. If they do get brought back, they may get a promotion… but that’s not guaranteed. I know writers who have been Staff Writer on half a dozen different series, and others who have been “Writer’s Room Assistant” (which is the new entry level gig, since no one buys freelance scripts any more) three or four times, never getting off the bottom rung of the ladder so matter how talented they are. And when a junior writer does finally get a better title, even one that will put a P-word on their IMDB credits, they still won’t have any producing experience. In many cases they won’t be asked to set even when the episodes they wrote are being filmed. (They may be ALLOWED on set, if the showrunner and execs are cool with that, but only as a visitor, with no authority, no role. And no pay, of course. They may even be told they are not allowed to speak to the actors).

One of the things the AMPTP put forward in their last offer to the WGA is that some writers might be brought onto sets as unpaid interns, to “shadow” and “observe.” Even that will not be an absolute right. Maybe they will be let in, maybe not. These are the people who wrote the stories being filmed, who created the characters, who wrote the words the actors are saying. I was WAY more than that in 1985, and so was every other staff writer in television at the time.

The juniors may have worked for as long as half a year on the show. All of it in a room, with other writers. But they won’t be part of the casting. They won’t be meeting with the director. They won’t be at the table read. No one will bring them into the editing suite so the editor can explain what he is doing. The line producer will not sit down and go over the budget with them (as Harvey Frand did with me), or patiently explain why they can’t have nine matte paintings or that huge montage. They won’t be sharing lunch with the stars. If a stuntman’s nose is cut off, they will need to read about it VARIETY, since they will be off in another room on another show.

Mini-rooms are abominations, and the refusal of the AMPTP to pay writers to stay with their shows through production — as part of the JOB, for which they need to be paid, not as a tourist — is not only wrong, it is incredibly short sighted. If the Story Editors of 2023 are not allowed to get any production experience, where do the studios think the Showrunners of 2033 are going to come from?

If nothing else, the WGA needs to win that on that issue. No matter how long it may take."

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 11:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "But that's not a streaming specific issue right?"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't know why the AMPTP wouldn't give on this issue because it seems like such an easy non-monetary issue to give on.

I think what is specific to streamers is that their subscription model means writers (and actors) can't participate in the revenue because the subscription model doesn't allow for being paid on individual shows.

Friends specifically generates ad revenue that you can put assign a monetary value to. How do you assign value to a hit show on Netflix? Especially if they aren't transparent on viewership of a show?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

navajo joe
6576 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 04:32 PM

20. "fair and good point. "
In response to Reply # 11

However, I'd argue that the streamer/studio line isn't particularly concrete. It's not siloed in the way it was a decade ago and this model was created in understanding of where things were headed and has only served to grow/solidify under streaming.

What you bring up is actually one of, if not the biggest, issues. They REALLY don't want people to know what those numbers are.

I've been purposefully terse in this and other thread in the interest of energy conservation. There's a trade-off in accuracy.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 04:37 PM

28. "This is why we need viewer transparency with streaming. "
In response to Reply # 11

>Friends specifically generates ad revenue that you can put
>assign a monetary value to. How do you assign value to a hit
>show on Netflix? Especially if they aren't transparent on
>viewership of a show?

Right now, streaming service companies brag to Wall Street about how well their streamers are doing... while also insisting to creatives that streaming is losing so much money that they can't pay creatives fairly.

Sooooooo which is it? Either way, these studios will take a hit-- but considering the billions of revenue they generate and the hundred of millions they pay their executives, finding a residual system that allows creatives to profit on streaming success shouldn't be insurmountable.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 08:51 AM

7. "The studios wrote that article lol."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-13-23 08:53 AM by Brew

>With that article that just came out it seems that studios
>are prepared to wait out until the union starts to bleed until
>members are are in a financial crisis.

Truth is that the studios' $$ depends on stock prices, which will plummet soon as the already-written content dries up.

They write articles like this to put pressure on the union, but the union knows it's bullshit. They're prepared.

Even if it weren't bullshit, imagine being the type of person/people who would put out into the public the fact that you are perfectly happy bleeding working people til they literally lose their homes so you can continue to print money. What a shithole country.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 09:10 AM

8. "isn't more money the goal in most strikes? honestly asking"
In response to Reply # 0

handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 11:09 AM

12. "No, it's also about job security and career path/opportunities"
In response to Reply # 8

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 02:57 PM

17. "all that is to make more money.. lol"
In response to Reply # 12

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28849 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 09:10 AM

9. "*sides with the writers* and buys puts on entertainment stocks"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.wga.org/uploadedfiles/members/member_info/contract-2023/WGA_proposals.pdf

What they're asking for amounts to $429 million per year which isn't much considering studios made $20 billion last year. The CEO of Warner Brothers received $246 million in executive compensation for example.

Bought a few options contracts in anticipation of stock price decreases..

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 11:44 AM

13. "tell us where to invest. i loved your crypto advice!"
In response to Reply # 9

Kira
28849 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 12:57 PM

14. "RE: Crypto's a scam according to you, right?"
In response to Reply # 13

For the record any statements made about crypto from this account are not, were not financial advice.

While y'all tout disproven talking points we prosper.

shockvalue
Charter member
562 posts
Sat Jul-15-23 07:56 AM

24. "How do you know he was being sarcastic?"
In response to Reply # 14

Hit Dog Capital Management over here

--

Woe unto him who in this world courts not dishonor.

legsdiamond
79629 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 03:41 PM

25. "I love how he post the warning about it not being financial advice"
In response to Reply # 24

he’s still chasing that crypto high from 2020

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

legsdiamond
79629 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 10:23 AM

10. "Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 02:36 PM

15. "So the directors are dickwads no?"
In response to Reply # 0

Actors are down. What happened to the directors?

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 02:48 PM

16. "only 41 percent voted in favor"
In response to Reply # 15

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 03:01 PM

18. "Reading is fundamental. "
In response to Reply # 16

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/dga-deal-ratified-1235516600/

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 04:13 PM

19. "you're right, only 35 percent voted in favor"
In response to Reply # 18

I'm bad at math

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Jul-13-23 05:26 PM

21. "The DGA is part of the problem..."

..but since they're clearly compensated, they rarely go against the studios.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 04:01 PM

26. "i just saw homie who directed the new Haunted Mansion movie..."
In response to Reply # 21

at the Disney premier event of the movie while NO actors showed up (duh).

just...the irony made me laugh especially that it was a Disney thing and everything w/ Bob Iger's comments, etc.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 04:42 PM

30. "Well, a huge chunk of directors only work in reality/non-scripted."

So naturally a lot of these writer/actor problems (AI, writer's rooms, audition taping, etc.) don't affect them.

And they (generally) get paid more than writers and the overwhelming majority of actors.

So yeah, not much of a surprise that they wouldn't strike.

Kira
28849 posts
Fri Jul-14-23 10:50 AM

22. "Actors say Hollywood studios want their AI replicas — for free, foreve..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/13/23794224/sag-aftra-actors-strike-ai-image-rights

From the article:

When asked about the proposal during the press conference, Crabtree-Ireland said that “This ‘groundbreaking’ AI proposal that they gave us yesterday, they proposed that our background performers should be able to be scanned, get one day’s pay, and their companies should own that scan, their image, their likeness and should be able to use it for the rest of eternity on any project they want, with no consent and no compensation. So if you think that’s a groundbreaking proposal, I suggest you think again.”

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Fri Jul-14-23 10:56 AM

23. "Black Mirror S6, ep 1 touched on this"
In response to Reply # 22

The timing of the strike and the airing of this episode is quite ironic.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 04:38 PM

29. "And this is a specific one on which the AMPTP isn't budging currently."
In response to Reply # 22

They say "we want your rights forever for free!"
Actors say "we want the power to consent to when you use our image and we want to be compensated for the use of our image!"

Then they say, "THEY'RE BEING SO UNFAIR THEY WON'T MEET US IN THE MIDDLE!" lol

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 04:03 PM

27. "honestly, i've been really surprised at the vitriol from actors to the....."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-17-23 04:10 PM by PROMO

studios, execs, etc.

like, i saw a clip of Ron Pearlman (Hellboy, Sons of Anarchy) basically saying like "we know where you live and we can come rip you outta your comfy beds" in response to that "we'll starve the actors out til they are homeless" talk.

i was like DAAAAAAAAAAMN.

i definitely saw others saying serious/aggressive talk as well.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 06:00 PM

31. "that Perlman video was pretty corny"
In response to Reply # 27

this dude's out here believing he's actually Clay from SOA, when really, he's just a millionaire who tweets alot.

not against the strikes but he's being a goof

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 07:35 PM

32. "i guess you can think that."
In response to Reply # 31

i kinda agreed with him, or i at least feel that sentiment to an extent, for SURE.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 08:34 PM

35. "it's not the sentiment, it's more the character "
In response to Reply # 32

he's not Clay lol

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 08:46 PM

36. "he's method, lol."
In response to Reply # 35

but seriously, i don't think he was trying to be Clay.

cuz, we are starting to get to that point where the common man (not that actors are exactly "common" but hear me out) is starting to hit the breaking point with the overly rich & wealthy.

for instance, i have a "good job". i have money taken out of my check for health insurance, yet my "good job" still has pretty shitty insurance, so my out of pocket deductible is 5K...so, i gotta pay 5K THAT I DON'T HAVE *AFTER* they take money from me every week before insurance will really kick in...and i HAVE to do it because if i didn't, my family's medical needs would be even worse as far as costs go. it's really a joke. i feel scammed.

like, not making it about me...but this kinda shit is not just gonna go smoothly forever. people are gonna get fed up eventually so if that's real anger? i totally get it.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 09:05 PM

37. "on that note there are layoffs all over the industry behind this"
In response to Reply # 36

there's a huge ripple affect that's not really in the conversation, at least not much.
Many who may support his sentiments or maybe see him as just another rich guy who won't *actually* feel this, and yeah most actors and writers are pretty broke and I feel that but it goes pretty far beyond jist them.

I don't know what the breaking point of this strike will be, but I hope it doesn't actually drag as long as it looks like it will

But he's absolutely doing Clay lol

handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 07:58 PM

33. "Execs reportedly said they're willing to let writers be on strike until ..."
In response to Reply # 31
Mon Jul-17-23 08:00 PM by handle

Perlman was responding to that DIRECT quoute.

Anonymous studio execs reportedly said they're willing to let writers be on strike until they're homeless. A writer from FX's hit 'The Bear' show called the comments 'vile' and the 'worst possible PR move.'

yahoo.com/entertainment/anonymous-studio-execs-reportedly-said-022203023.html

Hollywood insiders, including an unnamed studio executive, told Deadline that the plan is to let the strike drag on for several more months until writers start to run out of money.

"The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses," one unnamed studio executive told the entertainment publication. Deadline also spoke with other unnamed insider sources that confirmed the studios' approach.

Cited story:
Hollywood Studios’ WGA Strike Endgame Is To Let Writers Go Broke Before Resuming Talks In Fall
https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-strike-hollywood-studios-deal-fight-wga-actors-1235434335/

------------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 08:30 PM

34. "I know what he was responding to"
In response to Reply # 33

it has nothing to do with anything I said

handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 10:04 PM

38. "."
In response to Reply # 34

------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Tue Jul-18-23 12:47 AM

39. "Here’s a complete and concise summary of what writers want."
In response to Reply # 0

And how the AMPTP is responding.

https://twitter.com/sentammoses/status/1681127057701617664?s=46&t=rN5CEK0GxqMn2iV9jjd9hg
https://twitter.com/sentammoses/status/1681127119752142848?s=46&t=rN5CEK0GxqMn2iV9jjd9hg
https://twitter.com/sentammoses/status/1681127204078645250?s=46&t=rN5CEK0GxqMn2iV9jjd9hg

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Jul-20-23 01:20 PM

40. "This is why we're on strike..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-22-23 10:26 AM by CyrenYoung

We stand united.

Aside from the obvious safety issues brought up in recent tragedies during filming, the Studios continue cutting corners.

I appreciate the questions brought up in this thread. Here are a few direct answers from writers:

https://www.wgacontract2023.org/member-voices/why-we-strike

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sat Jul-22-23 11:44 AM

41. "thks for this.... "
In response to Reply # 40

i never thought about the fact that our appetite for more and more streaming entertainment is fed by this army of creatives who end up not being rightly compensated nor even offered a decent work environment to work in....

iono, i always had an image of fancy Apple or Google headquarters where staff have these dope benefits.....

what should we the viewers do to support your cause? unsusbscribe from the various streaming platforms? my 8 year-old doesnt even know what network tv is....

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sun Jul-23-23 08:09 PM

42. "https://www.wgacontract2023.org/take-action/stand-with-writers"
In response to Reply # 41

https://www.wgacontract2023.org/take-action/stand-with-writers

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Jul-28-23 09:03 AM

43. "It’s still difficult for average person to relate/understand…"
In response to Reply # 40

Me being an average person…

I’m still stuck on comparing my reality of a 9-5 and pretty fixed yearly salary and my perception ( likely wrong) that people in the entertainment industry largely make more money doing less work than the average joe.

What are the salary numbers??
If i work for a company for a year, and then my job ends…. That’s it, what i made that year is what i made, i don’t get residuals…. The company still profits off of the work i put in though….
So it’s difficult for me to have compassion for someone that’s complaining about small residual checks.

legsdiamond
79629 posts
Fri Jul-28-23 09:19 AM

44. "seems like it should be easy to have compassion for small ass checks"
In response to Reply # 43

but I kinda get what you are saying. I disagree 100% tho.

This is like sports fans saying they dont have compassion for players complaining about their contracts.

I can take myself out of the equation and realize these folks are comparing pay to their peers. Not to the grocery bagger or my lil salary.

and I guess in some ways I like to think if I ever made it to an insane level of salary I would still want to be compensated fairly if my numbers weren’t in line with my peers.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Jul-28-23 10:08 AM

45. "I wasn’t clear, i have compassion…but not because of the residuals i..."
In response to Reply # 44
Fri Jul-28-23 10:26 AM by FLUIDJ

It’s complicated beyond my level of concern and comprehension at this point though….
I mean i get it…. But at the same time I’m thinking “Damn, that sucks B…. We hiring at my spot if you want me to send you an application “ <<<< in general, not directed at Cyren….

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sun Jul-30-23 08:18 PM

49. "https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvNkecUtxq9/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA=="
In response to Reply # 45
Mon Jul-31-23 09:53 AM by CyrenYoung

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvNkecUtxq9/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

..the entertainment industry is one big mirage, fam. The only people really cakin' run the studios and run the shows. Everyone else lives check to check. A few get fairly large checks during their prime (like athletes & other entertainers), but that's about it.

The smart people learn to balance the culture while still living within their means. It's the only way to save and thrive.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Sat Jul-29-23 01:48 AM

46. "87% of SAG earns less than 26K a year. "
In response to Reply # 43

I don't have percentages for writers, but please believe they are similarly dire, regardless of percentages.

Between studio corner cutting, studio loophole finding, agent and manager percent taking, California tax taking, federal government tax taking, etc., the vast vast majority of people in the entertainment industry require a second job in order to maintain livable wages. (That or living with several roommates.)

People look at Meryl Streep, Aaron Sorkin, and the rest, and they assume that's what everyone makes. Same for looking at reports on guild minimums, which studios consistently find ways of getting around and of which actors/writers consistently often only get to take home roughly a third of when they actually are rewarded the full amount (and paid on time in full).

So yeah, it's hard.

And if you make millions more for your CEOs than the combined workers-- let alone billions-- then please believe writers would support you and your co-workers going on strike as well.

Kira
28849 posts
Sat Jul-29-23 12:13 PM

47. "What AI protections exist now?"
In response to Reply # 0

What's stopping hollywood from accumulating scripts and data as a whole to prepare for the future? Why can't they pay script writers to write scripts for their database? Execs will find a way to get rid of actors and script writers if they can.

Call me crazy but if safeguards are not put in place the industry today won't exist in 400 years.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Sun Jul-30-23 09:10 AM

48. "Copyright, trademark law and right of publicity"
In response to Reply # 47

AI has to be trained. And it's it's trained on copyright material there is an argument that that use is considered copyright in francement.

There is state law Right of Publicity, meaning you can't just take a picture of Tom Cruise and put it in your Apple commercial without his permission.

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6035 posts
Mon Jul-31-23 12:14 AM

50. "if only music artists had a union…"
In response to Reply # 0

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 10:08 AM

51. "We do."
In response to Reply # 50

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 10:18 AM

52. "We have a tentative agreement..."
In response to Reply # 0

..As of 4p yesterday. Still quite a few hurdles to deal with before a return to work can commence, but this is the 1st major step in the right direction. Once the agreement is finalized, it will be sent to the board and council, which will then vote to authorize ratification by our membership.

https://www.wgacontract2023.org/announcements/negotiations-update-tentative-agreement

Negotiations Update: Tentative Agreement
We have reached a tentative agreement on a new 2023 MBA, which is to say an agreement in principle on all deal points, subject to drafting final contract language.
Sunday, September 24, 2023
Dear Members,

We have reached a tentative agreement on a new 2023 MBA, which is to say an agreement in principle on all deal points, subject to drafting final contract language.

What we have won in this contract—most particularly, everything we have gained since May 2nd—is due to the willingness of this membership to exercise its power, to demonstrate its solidarity, to walk side-by-side, to endure the pain and uncertainty of the past 146 days. It is the leverage generated by your strike, in concert with the extraordinary support of our union siblings, that finally brought the companies back to the table to make a deal.

We can say, with great pride, that this deal is exceptional—with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership.

What remains now is for our staff to make sure everything we have agreed to is codified in final contract language. And though we are eager to share the details of what has been achieved with you, we cannot do that until the last “i” is dotted. To do so would complicate our ability to finish the job. So, as you have been patient with us before, we ask you to be patient again—one last time.

Once the Memorandum of Agreement with the AMPTP is complete, the Negotiating Committee will vote on whether to recommend the agreement and send it on to the WGAW Board and WGAE Council for approval. The Board and Council will then vote on whether to authorize a contract ratification vote by the membership.

If that authorization is approved, the Board and Council would also vote on whether to lift the restraining order and end the strike at a certain date and time (to be determined) pending ratification. This would allow writers to return to work during the ratification vote, but would not affect the membership’s right to make a final determination on contract approval.

Immediately after those leadership votes, which are tentatively scheduled for Tuesday if the language is settled, we will provide a comprehensive summary of the deal points and the Memorandum of Agreement. We will also convene meetings where members will have the opportunity to learn more about and assess the deal before voting on ratification.

To be clear, no one is to return to work until specifically authorized to by the Guild. We are still on strike until then. But we are, as of today, suspending WGA picketing. Instead, if you are able, we encourage you to join the SAG-AFTRA picket lines this week.

Finally, we appreciated your patience as you waited for news from us—and had to fend off rumors—during the last few days of the negotiation. Please wait for further information from the Guild. We will have more to share with you in the coming days, as we finalize the contract language and go through our unions’ processes.

As always, thank you for your support. You will hear from us again very soon.

In solidarity,

WGA Negotiating Committee

navajo joe
6576 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 10:33 AM

53. "Hope the deal is what you all deserve "
In response to Reply # 52

Y’all fought a hell of a fight

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 11:44 AM

56. "Appreciate that..."
In response to Reply # 53

..Still waiting to get the final details, but the agreement sounds promising.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 11:15 AM

54. "The committee calling the deal "exceptional" gives me hope."

I definitely don't think they'd have agreed to something that bends to break on any of the core things we were looking for.

Excited to see the full terms, and excited to hopefully return to work very soon!

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 11:43 AM

55. "Same here..."
In response to Reply # 54

..this year has been rough.

And to think, we were just getting back into the swing of things since the pandemic shut down.

I can't wait to get back to work.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Tue Sep-26-23 01:42 PM

59. "Me too."
In response to Reply # 55

Here's to hoping we both have a fruitful and rewarding three years until the next strike! lol

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 01:19 PM

58. "so happy to hear this news; thanks for sharing"

here's hoping you get back to work soon

as an aspiring tv writer, this deal affects all of us. the solidarity and sacrifice that was shown is so inspiring.

we can all push back against greedy capitalism..this shows that Power to the People is not just an empty phrase.

Y'ALL DID THAT SHIT.

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Sep-25-23 12:21 PM

57. "I think the reality of AI is sinking in with a lot of media companies. "
In response to Reply # 0

Across a few different type of media companies, I think a lot of companies thought that they would be able to train using existing IP without getting permission or paying the original IP holders. Creators across all industries are pushing back on that. I also think the law will probably land on the side of creators.

With this reality setting in, I think it makes negotiating the AI issue easier.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13488297 Previous topic | Next topic