Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13462504

Subject: "They don’t make appliances like they used to" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79626 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 08:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"They don’t make appliances like they used to"

just bought a new fridge in December. Freezer stopped working yesterday.. smh.

Still under warranty but between the dishwasher and Fridge I’m noticing these new appliances suck balls.

Thankfully it didn’t wait until we were out of town this weekend.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think you just got lemons lol.
Jun 16th 2022
I had to replace the touchpad on my mom’s Samsung stove.
Jun 17th 2022
Yeah - they are absolute trash compared to back in the day. And
Jun 16th 2022
Got an LG Dryer and the mother board went out.
Jun 16th 2022
Samsung Dishwasher has needed 2 motherboards
Jun 16th 2022
Used to work for LG. I'll never buy an appliance from them
Jun 18th 2022
Stay away from smart appliances
Jun 16th 2022
profiteering garbage.
Jun 16th 2022
I've had to fix the fridge twice, wall oven once and replace the microwa...
Jun 17th 2022
I’ve been going to the laundromat to avoid buying some bullshit
Jun 19th 2022
Soo, is the lesson you are supposed to buy the extended warranty for
Jun 19th 2022

tariqhu
Charter member
17895 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I think you just got lemons lol."
In response to Reply # 0

or maybe I've be lucky with mine. no issues with our stuff.

my buddy had a problem with his samsung stove not long after he bought it.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Fri Jun-17-22 09:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "I had to replace the touchpad on my mom’s Samsung stove."
In response to Reply # 1

Probably less than 6 months use. It was an easy fix but weird that it shit the bed so soon.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

soulfunk
Charter member
11003 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 09:18 AM

2. "Yeah - they are absolute trash compared to back in the day. And "
In response to Reply # 0

have gotten progressively worse. My refrigerator's ice maker has never worked for longer than a few months. While it was under warranty they'd come out every few months to fix it, but never stayed fixed. Now it's not under warranty and it's just done. I've been shopping for a new fridge for a house we're having built, and all the appliance stores tell us that these things are made to breakdown in around 5 years.

My parents have lived in the same house since 1979 (built in 77). At some point in the late 90's they got a new refrigerator to replace the original, which at that point was around 20 years old. They didn't get rid of it though, they put it in the basement as overflow. That fridge is STILL working fine, at around 45 years old. Meanwhile they've had to replace their main kitchen refrigerators 3 times since then.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 09:20 AM

3. "Got an LG Dryer and the mother board went out. "
In response to Reply # 0

We started to see problems within the first year (warranty period) but didn't call until it died...outside of warranty. 2 years and the buster ass dryer needed a 500 part (cost 800 originally I think).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79626 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 09:42 AM

4. "Samsung Dishwasher has needed 2 motherboards"
In response to Reply # 3

one right after it was purchased. They knowingly sold a product that was defective

LG fridge.. 7 months, smh.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SeV
Charter member
50216 posts
Sat Jun-18-22 11:43 PM

9. "Used to work for LG. I'll never buy an appliance from them"
In response to Reply # 3

Engineers were staying coming in from South Korea to troubleshoot/replace shyt with the appliances

Mainly electronic issues

Had a different project every other month

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28848 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 10:14 AM

5. "Stay away from smart appliances"
In response to Reply # 0

They need wifi, firmware updates, server support and have too many problems. Just read an article about insteon appliances stopped receiving customer support so a group of customers bought the company to restore services.

We need to go back to the era where appliances were merely appliances. Take all that IoT bs elsewhere.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 04:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "profiteering garbage."
In response to Reply # 0

bought a GE stove in 2018 and one of the large heating elements went out 13 months later (1-year warranty). replaced that myself ($120 part) and now two of the infinite switches have gone bad (can't regulate heat).

$150 microwave from LG just died in 9 months. no reason. they discontinued the model so they offered me a $75 credit on another LG microwave -- no thank you. I now buy the cheapest ones I can live with.

the most reliable appliance we have is the 20-year-old fridge my wife inherited.

--------

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Fri Jun-17-22 01:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I've had to fix the fridge twice, wall oven once and replace the microwa..."
In response to Reply # 0

One of the mobos on the fridge quit. Did some research, replaced a few capacitors (thank goodness I can solder) and got it running again. Turned out that was just a temporary fix, as the board went out again 5 months later. The board isn't made anymore, and the replacement part was in 3 separate pieces which I had to cram into the fridge.

Wall oven touchpad and mobo shit the bed in 2020. Had to pull the oven out the wall to access the board and send it out to be serviced, as again, they don't make the part

Microwave died not long after the initial Covid lockdowns began. Couldn't find one for months, between high demand (people making home improvements) and low inventory (nobody at the factory making them + supply chain).

These were all new appliances (Whirlpool. builder grade, though) when we bought the house. Guess 10 years isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18642 posts
Sun Jun-19-22 09:53 AM

10. "I’ve been going to the laundromat to avoid buying some bullshit"
In response to Reply # 0

When I bought my house 10 years ago, I got my parents old washer from the 90’s, and it still works but it’s started leaving like white stains on dark colored clothes that are hard to get out. It’s clearly on its last legs. Bought a new dryer like 5 years ago and it’s already broken twice.

I’m not buying some $800 washer and dryer and having them break in a few years. Ridiculous.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Sun Jun-19-22 10:21 AM

11. "Soo, is the lesson you are supposed to buy the extended warranty for "
In response to Reply # 0

appliances?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13462504 Previous topic | Next topic