Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThey don’t make appliances like they used to
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13462504
13462504, They don’t make appliances like they used to
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-16-22 08:51 AM
just bought a new fridge in December. Freezer stopped working yesterday.. smh.

Still under warranty but between the dishwasher and Fridge I’m noticing these new appliances suck balls.

Thankfully it didn’t wait until we were out of town this weekend.

13462507, I think you just got lemons lol.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jun-16-22 09:09 AM
or maybe I've be lucky with mine. no issues with our stuff.

my buddy had a problem with his samsung stove not long after he bought it.
13462624, I had to replace the touchpad on my mom’s Samsung stove.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Jun-17-22 09:58 AM
Probably less than 6 months use. It was an easy fix but weird that it shit the bed so soon.
13462508, Yeah - they are absolute trash compared to back in the day. And
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Jun-16-22 09:18 AM
have gotten progressively worse. My refrigerator's ice maker has never worked for longer than a few months. While it was under warranty they'd come out every few months to fix it, but never stayed fixed. Now it's not under warranty and it's just done. I've been shopping for a new fridge for a house we're having built, and all the appliance stores tell us that these things are made to breakdown in around 5 years.

My parents have lived in the same house since 1979 (built in 77). At some point in the late 90's they got a new refrigerator to replace the original, which at that point was around 20 years old. They didn't get rid of it though, they put it in the basement as overflow. That fridge is STILL working fine, at around 45 years old. Meanwhile they've had to replace their main kitchen refrigerators 3 times since then.

13462509, Got an LG Dryer and the mother board went out.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jun-16-22 09:20 AM
We started to see problems within the first year (warranty period) but didn't call until it died...outside of warranty. 2 years and the buster ass dryer needed a 500 part (cost 800 originally I think).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13462514, Samsung Dishwasher has needed 2 motherboards
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-16-22 09:42 AM
one right after it was purchased. They knowingly sold a product that was defective

LG fridge.. 7 months, smh.

13462705, Used to work for LG. I'll never buy an appliance from them
Posted by SeV, Sat Jun-18-22 11:43 PM
Engineers were staying coming in from South Korea to troubleshoot/replace shyt with the appliances

Mainly electronic issues

Had a different project every other month

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!
13462517, Stay away from smart appliances
Posted by Kira, Thu Jun-16-22 10:14 AM
They need wifi, firmware updates, server support and have too many problems. Just read an article about insteon appliances stopped receiving customer support so a group of customers bought the company to restore services.

We need to go back to the era where appliances were merely appliances. Take all that IoT bs elsewhere.
13462584, profiteering garbage.
Posted by will_5198, Thu Jun-16-22 04:41 PM
bought a GE stove in 2018 and one of the large heating elements went out 13 months later (1-year warranty). replaced that myself ($120 part) and now two of the infinite switches have gone bad (can't regulate heat).

$150 microwave from LG just died in 9 months. no reason. they discontinued the model so they offered me a $75 credit on another LG microwave -- no thank you. I now buy the cheapest ones I can live with.

the most reliable appliance we have is the 20-year-old fridge my wife inherited.
13462640, I've had to fix the fridge twice, wall oven once and replace the microwave
Posted by spenzalii, Fri Jun-17-22 01:31 PM
One of the mobos on the fridge quit. Did some research, replaced a few capacitors (thank goodness I can solder) and got it running again. Turned out that was just a temporary fix, as the board went out again 5 months later. The board isn't made anymore, and the replacement part was in 3 separate pieces which I had to cram into the fridge.

Wall oven touchpad and mobo shit the bed in 2020. Had to pull the oven out the wall to access the board and send it out to be serviced, as again, they don't make the part

Microwave died not long after the initial Covid lockdowns began. Couldn't find one for months, between high demand (people making home improvements) and low inventory (nobody at the factory making them + supply chain).

These were all new appliances (Whirlpool. builder grade, though) when we bought the house. Guess 10 years isn't bad, but it isn't great either.
13462711, I’ve been going to the laundromat to avoid buying some bullshit
Posted by DJR, Sun Jun-19-22 09:53 AM
When I bought my house 10 years ago, I got my parents old washer from the 90’s, and it still works but it’s started leaving like white stains on dark colored clothes that are hard to get out. It’s clearly on its last legs. Bought a new dryer like 5 years ago and it’s already broken twice.

I’m not buying some $800 washer and dryer and having them break in a few years. Ridiculous.
13462713, Soo, is the lesson you are supposed to buy the extended warranty for
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Jun-19-22 10:21 AM
appliances?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"