Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13448357

Subject: "Car Recommendations?" Previous topic | Next topic
PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Car Recommendations?"

Sup OKP.

Your boy's Ford Fusion is ready to kick the bucket...well, not really, but it's leaking coolant left and right, and the fix for that is probably gonna be a bit pricey (read: gotta take a bunch of shit apart and find the leak then fix it). Plus, I don't feel that it's that safe anymore. It has poor headlights, and no matter what i do (new wipers, rain x fluid, etc) I feel like my windshield is never clear when rains and even worse when it's rainy and dark (which, it is right now...all the time). It's also due for 100K tune up, new brakes...so now is a good time to find a new car. It's also 10 years old - we've had a good run and now also might be a good time to trade it in while it still has a bit of value.

I need some car recommendations. I'm looking new, though the right certified used car would make me think. I'm heavily eyeing Hondas (Accord Sport and Civic Sport) but I don't want to make a rash decision.

Also, i'm cheap. Like probably everyone, I want the lowest payment possible, so, are there any fire cars under 20K that I should be looking at?

I'm a big dude, so roominess is important. Also, need a good sound system (but that's something you can probably find as an add on at minimum, right?) and it'd be nice if it was fun to drive (handling more than acceleration if i had to choose).

I realize I probably can't get everything I want w/out just shelling out some cash, but I figured I'd get some takes from the folks here.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
you got a couple of problems
Nov 19th 2021
i like the look of the honda civic hatchbacks...
Nov 19th 2021
based on your size.. I would suggest a slightly used Jeep Cherokee
Nov 19th 2021
did you mean grand cherokee?
Nov 19th 2021
      yeah, the big joint!
Nov 19th 2021
Honda Insight 25k new, 55/49mpg
Nov 19th 2021
Add 10k to your max and there might be some options
Nov 19th 2021
oh yeah, 20K ain't my max, 30K is...so I know there's some options.
Nov 19th 2021
I just recently bought a 2018 Fusion SE with 25K miles for $18K
Nov 19th 2021
thank you for this. gonna check it out.
Nov 19th 2021
      that KIA stinger is tough too
Nov 19th 2021
      yeah, been eyeing that one since they came out.
Nov 19th 2021
      I didn't realize how spacious the new body style Fusions are either
Nov 20th 2021
           mid size now is what full size used to be
Nov 20th 2021
                Yeah and the car body itself is long
Nov 22nd 2021
                Yeah, the old Taurus platform was not space efficient
Nov 22nd 2021
buick supposedly fits big guys....
Nov 19th 2021
thanks Shaq!
Nov 19th 2021
I 2nd Legs’ rec for a Grand Cherokee…deals may be possible since
Nov 19th 2021
i'm not keen on an SUV per se...
Nov 19th 2021
      I have a 16 that I got in 18.
Nov 19th 2021
           not to sound all cliche but I really feel safer in an SUV
Nov 19th 2021
                i never liked SUVs until i had one
Nov 19th 2021
                I was surprised at how nice they are inside.
Nov 20th 2021
                     i was really close to trading in this traverse for new Long body Grand
Nov 20th 2021
                          those new Grands look great.
Nov 20th 2021
                               I have aTraverse Premiere redline. It has everything.
Nov 20th 2021
                                    I'm surprised the new grands cost more to have alladat.
Nov 20th 2021
Get this bad boy right here for me.
Nov 22nd 2021
you give me the 120 racks, i'll go pick it up and let you know...
Nov 22nd 2021
      yeah I am just looking for an excuse to talk about how nice that ride is...
Nov 23rd 2021
The used car market right now is NUTS.
Nov 23rd 2021
yup. i've basically convinced my boy that if he's gonna get a Benz...
Nov 24th 2021
Yeah same thing with my wife's car
Nov 29th 2021

Rjcc
Charter member
94996 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "you got a couple of problems"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-19-21 12:30 PM by Rjcc

the shortage means the cars aren't gettable and prices are spiking. there just isn't room to negotiate bc there's barely inventory

and

they don't make as many of those cars as they used to

if you can find one, there's probably a certified pre owned civic (or toyota or mazda etc.) equivalent that can do alright for you, or if you want an SUV it's probably easier to find an HR-V or an Escape.

the Maverick looks real good but it quickly climbs out of your price range and, again, can't really get it.

If you're thinking about a 10th gen civic I recommend it highly. lots of space inside, very fun to drive with good handling and the top level sound system is pretty good. unfortunately, I can also attest to its crashworthiness, 10/10 for survivability.

I just took a scan of the listings and I know why my dealer wanted my Sport Touring HB back so bad, those just don't exist.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

luminous
Charter member
12476 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i like the look of the honda civic hatchbacks..."
In response to Reply # 0

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79777 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 12:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "based on your size.. I would suggest a slightly used Jeep Cherokee"
In response to Reply # 0

rented one recently and wasn’t mad at all.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17908 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 02:16 PM

13. "did you mean grand cherokee?"
In response to Reply # 3

the cherokee is like rav4 size.

they got confusing ass names.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
79777 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 02:43 PM

14. "yeah, the big joint!"
In response to Reply # 13

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:00 PM

4. "Honda Insight 25k new, 55/49mpg"
In response to Reply # 0

https://automobiles.honda.com/insight

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:01 PM

5. "Add 10k to your max and there might be some options"
In response to Reply # 0

With inflation and the tight car market, prices are up for new and used cars.

The good part of that is you might get more than you expected if you sell your Fusion. KBB says my 2001 RAV 4 has appreciated like 50% in the last year.

Bad part is, of course, there's next to no inventory on new car lots, more new cars are seeing dealer markups (Toyota told me there was a $5k markup on *Highlanders*), and used cars are through the roof.

The good thing is rate are crazy low though. I'm usually one to buy used cars with cash but we bought new this time and ended up financing about half of it bc it was a 3% interest rate.

We'd been putting off buying for the last year and only saw prices go up. With interest rates likely going up in the next 6 months, we figured it was time to bite the bullet.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:10 PM

7. "oh yeah, 20K ain't my max, 30K is...so I know there's some options."
In response to Reply # 5

i just wanna be El Cheapo if i can be.

Lach
Charter member
44327 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:09 PM

6. "I just recently bought a 2018 Fusion SE with 25K miles for $18K"
In response to Reply # 0

I had the hardest problem finding any new inventory on lots or good used inventory. So I said lemme see what the fuss is about with Carvana since all their cars are supposed to be certified with 0 accidents and defects. They had so many certified used cars with low miles I was kinda shocked. When I found the Fusion that had everything loaded for that price I pulled the trigger and went and picked it up at their local location. I'd recommend them during these times of slim pickings.

PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:11 PM

8. "thank you for this. gonna check it out."
In response to Reply # 6

Carvana...i was trying to remember what they were called.

legsdiamond
79777 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 02:55 PM

17. "that KIA stinger is tough too"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Nov-19-21 02:56 PM by legsdiamond

I keep doing double takes when I see the back of it on the highway.

not sure what a used one is going for since they are pretty new

ewww, used 2018 is like 38K

PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 02:59 PM

18. "yeah, been eyeing that one since they came out."
In response to Reply # 17

but yeah, it's outta the range of what i wanna spend.

if i wasn't saving for a house, i'd say fuck it and cop whatever car i wanted, but alas.

Lach
Charter member
44327 posts
Sat Nov-20-21 01:26 PM

25. "I didn't realize how spacious the new body style Fusions are either"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm a 6-1, 260 and comfortable as hell in it lol. Wanted a pickup truck but didn't want to spend 35k when I got 2 college kids.

Rjcc
Charter member
94996 posts
Sat Nov-20-21 02:17 PM

26. "mid size now is what full size used to be"
In response to Reply # 25

I was surprised when I rented a taurus sho and the inside was smaller than the fusion I had at the time

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lach
Charter member
44327 posts
Mon Nov-22-21 11:11 AM

27. "Yeah and the car body itself is long"
In response to Reply # 26

Like my wife has a new model Chevy Traverse and it barely fits in the garage. When I park the Fusion next to it, I'm like the Fusion is surprisingly long in its own right. Been happy with the purchase.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10986 posts
Mon Nov-22-21 10:46 PM

30. "Yeah, the old Taurus platform was not space efficient"
In response to Reply # 26

Which is crazy because the Five Hundred/Taurus of the previous generation was HUGE. My mother will not get rid of hers. Th elast Taurus was almost claustrophobic inside.

Meanwhile, when I tried to help my dad retire his '95 SHO with the last version, he opted for the Fusion Titanium (in a bid to stunt on me as I had just got the Fusion SE)

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

weaponry
Member since Jan 26th 2006
483 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "buick supposedly fits big guys...."
In response to Reply # 0

PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:19 PM

10. "thanks Shaq!"
In response to Reply # 9

lol

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44620 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:32 PM

11. "I 2nd Legs’ rec for a Grand Cherokee…deals may be possible since"
In response to Reply # 0

They released a new body style and there are still a GRIP of the old bodystyles still on the lots…at least in my area. I got a feeling they’d love to get rid of the older body style now that the new one is out….

PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:38 PM

12. "i'm not keen on an SUV per se..."
In response to Reply # 11

but i am keen on getting a deal on a new old stock vehicle. i don't NEED a 2022.

will check it out (going to browse the lots this weekend and take some test drives).

tariqhu
Charter member
17908 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 02:49 PM

15. "I have a 16 that I got in 18."
In response to Reply # 12

limited model. It was originally 40, but 25 used. not sure if those types of prices would work today.

otherwise, I luv. I wouldn't say I'm big, but I'm taller than average. no issues with room at all.

legsdiamond
79777 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 02:53 PM

16. "not to sound all cliche but I really feel safer in an SUV"
In response to Reply # 15

Its probably just being able to look down at regular cars tho.. lol

but both jeeps I rented were nice af. I had the small one for a business trip and my coworker
is 6’ 4” and he was comfortable.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16418 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 04:33 PM

19. "i never liked SUVs until i had one"
In response to Reply # 16

there is a lot to like about them. i do like a small car too but sometimes i do wish i had an suv.

i keep trying to manifest some big bank so i can go with an EV pick up in the next couple of years lol

tariqhu
Charter member
17908 posts
Sat Nov-20-21 11:21 AM

20. "I was surprised at how nice they are inside."
In response to Reply # 16

mine is a middle of the road version but has heated/vented seats, panoramic roof, sport mode, and few other things that just made it a really good deal at the time.

and I've had no trouble with it. just made 100k. no squeaks or rattles.

yeah, I feel better in SUVs too. just being higher gives me more visibility.

also easier to get in and out off. don't have to plop down to get in or pull myself out.

FLUIDJ
44620 posts
Sat Nov-20-21 11:52 AM

21. "i was really close to trading in this traverse for new Long body Grand"
In response to Reply # 20
Sat Nov-20-21 11:52 AM by FLUIDJ

Body Grand Cherokee. But had to go near the top of the range for equivalent features….
When the Hybrid version comes out, I may finally get rid of this Touareg and cop.
I’m still on the fence about getting full electric vehicle

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

tariqhu
Charter member
17908 posts
Sat Nov-20-21 12:51 PM

22. "those new Grands look great."
In response to Reply # 21

I'm not in the market, but want to test drive one. they've released the 2 row, which is what I'd be interested in.

if the supply chain situation gets better, maybe getting a used one next year would allow for getting those features you're looking at.

speaking of, what were those features?

FLUIDJ
44620 posts
Sat Nov-20-21 01:03 PM

23. "I have aTraverse Premiere redline. It has everything. "
In response to Reply # 22

except power fold 3rd row seat and auto close side mirrors.

So that’s heated seats front and rear. Power driver and passenger. Heated and cooled front seats, steering wheel. All the cameras, lane keep, dual sunroofs, wireless charging.

I’d just hate to give all that silly stuff up lol…. The cameras are a major plus though

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

tariqhu
Charter member
17908 posts
Sat Nov-20-21 01:13 PM

24. "I'm surprised the new grands cost more to have alladat."
In response to Reply # 23

my 5 yr old Limited has most of that except wireless charging, lane departure, front cam.

I'm guessing jeep has raised they're prices for the new new.

those Redlines look fly tho.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49483 posts
Mon Nov-22-21 02:33 PM

28. "Get this bad boy right here for me. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/rs-q8

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Mon Nov-22-21 04:25 PM

29. "you give me the 120 racks, i'll go pick it up and let you know..."
In response to Reply # 28

how it is.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49483 posts
Tue Nov-23-21 08:39 AM

31. "yeah I am just looking for an excuse to talk about how nice that ride is..."
In response to Reply # 29

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

soulfunk
Charter member
11010 posts
Tue Nov-23-21 08:39 PM

32. "The used car market right now is NUTS. "
In response to Reply # 0

Within the last year or so, my wife's car has gone from being worth less than what we owe on it to dealers offering us enough to make 8k from selling it and paying off the loan. And every couple months they contact us and add around 2k to their offer to buy it…

PROMO
Charter member
31048 posts
Wed Nov-24-21 11:53 AM

33. "yup. i've basically convinced my boy that if he's gonna get a Benz..."
In response to Reply # 32

now is the time.

he's always wanted one.

he still owes 24K on his car, but he can get at least 32 for it. so he'd also have 8K to put down on a lightly used Benz, which would make him the owner of a Benz at a bit less of a monthly payment than he pays now for his 2020 GMC SUV (i forget which one it is).

it's crazy. i went to the Honda dealer interested in a 2022 Civic Sport. sticker on that is 24K. they had NONE in stock (some on the way) because people are buying them sight unseen. they did show me a 2017 Civic that was priced at 26K.

shit is WILD.

Lach
Charter member
44327 posts
Mon Nov-29-21 03:58 PM

34. "Yeah same thing with my wife's car"
In response to Reply # 32

She has a 2018 chevy traverse. We've been getting some shocking offers from dealerships. Last offer was like $35K. I told her if this keeps up, we might just sell lol.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13448357 Previous topic | Next topic