Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13382461

Subject: ""Progressives Are Terrible Losers" (c) Shaun King" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed May-06-20 01:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Progressives Are Terrible Losers" (c) Shaun King"

in atlantas 2017 mayoral race...'progressives', bernie sanders, and bernie sanders political organization 'our revolution' threw their full muscle behind a candidate named vincent fort. he came in 5th in the primary lol (like a lot of their endorsed candidates).

in the top 2 runoff election...many 'progressives' spent the campaign smearing black woman 'establishment' democratic candidate keisha lance bottoms...with some outright supporting white conservative mary norwood (refashioned by them as an 'independent progressive') who staffed her campaign with trump supporters and was caught on tape calling black people felons and thugs.

shaun king addressed the turn of events and chastised his fellow 'progressives':

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/07/atlanta-mayor-bottoms-progressives/

in it he wrote...
-----
Between the two available options, Bottoms clearly best represented the positions, policies, and people progressives should care about most. Yet at every single mention of her on Facebook or Twitter seems to get pushback from the left; some progressives will call her supporters a sellout, say they are supporting the Democratic establishment, and ask if they are being paid by the Democratic National Committee.

This is foolish. They speak as if the more progressive option was to support Norwood. It wasn’t — at all.

This is where progressives find themselves. When the preferred progressive candidate doesn’t win, either because they ran a bad campaign, struggled in the two-party system, or lacked the support they needed in other ways, progressives too often proceed to tear down the establishment candidate. I’m not speaking in code here about Hillary Clinton, either. I’ve seen this in races all over the country.

Progressives are terrible losers. And don’t get me wrong: I hate losing, too. I despise it. But when my preferred candidate loses, I simply don’t feel like I have the right to set the whole election ablaze. And that’s the rub for me. It’s far too easy for people who won’t be directly harmed by conservative policies and leadership to trash a Democratic candidate they didn’t prefer, at the risk of assisting their opponent. This isn’t me echoing the “If you aren’t for me, you are against me” style of politics. In primaries and large-field races, you should go hard for the candidate you love and support. But when you lose, a transition should take place.

Keisha Lance Bottoms is not perfect. Hell, if you thought Vincent Fort was perfect, you probably aren’t from Atlanta. But I have to be honest with you: Hating good candidates because they aren’t perfect is getting old. Critique their policies. Investigate their decision-making and financing. Do those things! But when a race comes down to a left-leaning Democrat and a right-leaning conservative, stop pretending like they are one in the same. Stop acting like the Democrat has cooties. Stop acting like you are so holy that you can’t lower yourself to vote or support a person endorsed by the establishment.

This type of thinking loses important elections and puts real people in harm’s way.
-----

just thought it was interesting to see him and some of his allies/colleagues currently engaging in the exact same behavior he called out. he clearly spells out the exact same patternized behavior (eg- 'the dnc must be paying you!') that 'progressives' engage in when they dont get their way. maybe someone should read his own work to him/them again.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why is Shaun King
May 06th 2020
this is an incredibly wrong analysis of the ATL mayoral race
May 06th 2020
I agree with this
May 06th 2020
Im with u on this one.
May 06th 2020
Would love your take on the mayoral race and ATL politics in general
May 07th 2020
Losers? Thought we were all on the same team.
May 06th 2020
I ran for office in Atlanta during that same cycle
May 06th 2020
Yup. throw in the increasing gentrification of the city
May 06th 2020
On that race. I was a hardcore Fort supporter, he was/is the truth
May 06th 2020
So according to OKP...
May 06th 2020
the whole notion of ‘establishment dems” is so counter to the big te...
May 06th 2020
Pivoting more to the left should be easy for Democrat candidates...
May 07th 2020

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed May-06-20 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why is Shaun King"
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Wed May-06-20 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "this is an incredibly wrong analysis of the ATL mayoral race"
In response to Reply # 0

And ATL mayoral politics in general.
There was like 4 or 5 major vectors at play, and NONE of them center "progressivism", for good or bad.

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Wed May-06-20 02:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I agree with this"
In response to Reply # 2

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Wed May-06-20 08:06 PM

7. "Im with u on this one."
In response to Reply # 2

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu May-07-20 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Would love your take on the mayoral race and ATL politics in general"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu May-07-20 09:10 AM by Vex_id

-->

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Wed May-06-20 02:01 PM

3. "Losers? Thought we were all on the same team. "
In response to Reply # 0

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Wed May-06-20 02:18 PM

5. "I ran for office in Atlanta during that same cycle"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-06-20 02:18 PM by Jay Doz

and I have a lot of thoughts on this lol

To be honest, I'd argue that the election was largely a referendum on Kasim Reed more than anything.

Reed's political machine backed KLB during the election (she had already been seen as a Reed sycophant https://saportareport.com/fulton-chairman-john-eaves-voices-several-objections-to-the-pick-of-keisha-lance-bottoms-as-new-executive-of-atlanta-fulton-county-recreation-authority/), so folks circled the wagons accordingly as the race pushed into a runoff. It was the devil you knew versus the devil you didn't, and folks *really* didn't like the one that they knew so Norwood really seemed like a blank slate in that context.

It essentially came down to if you'd beefed with Reed at any point, then you were likely to back Norwood.

Like, look at this shit lol
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/atlanta-mayor-kasim-reed-city-council-president-trade-swipes/Kw37hUToKT6zK55Sh6S7PO/

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/kasim-reed-unleashes-vincent-fort/fuMclRDDBPh2dk0odNO7KK/

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Wed May-06-20 02:25 PM

6. "Yup. throw in the increasing gentrification of the city"
In response to Reply # 5

changing racial dynamics of downtown, housing, the longstanding Buckhead Coalition stranglehold on the economics, racism, etc..."progressivism" ain't been a factor in ATL politics since Maynard left office.

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Wed May-06-20 08:26 PM

8. "On that race. I was a hardcore Fort supporter, he was/is the truth "
In response to Reply # 0

And I think he would have been a great mayor. I never minded KLB tho and it was easy for me to support her in the run off. ‘17 was basically a rehash of the ‘09 election, with Norwood losing closely both times, Black vs White Atl, “old vs new Atl” , Buckhead vs SW atl, those were the main thrusts of both of those elections to me.

The parts of the city won by KLB in 17 were identical to what Reed won in 09 and they were the “Blacker” parts of the city

If their were any “progressives” who went over to Norwood from Fort, they were most certainly White and lived in one of the intown hoods or East side

prototype

believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Wed May-06-20 08:46 PM

9. "So according to OKP..."
In response to Reply # 0

S. King should support Biden but Stacy Abrams should condemn him?

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Wed May-06-20 08:50 PM

10. "the whole notion of ‘establishment dems” is so counter to the big te..."
In response to Reply # 0

Coalition that is the real nature of the Democratic Party. Where the core values are over all shared by all.

I understand and appreciate that people further to the left feel that dems more to the center aren’t bold enough and moving fast enough but demonizing left of center dems are puppets of big business and corrupt is really progressives shooting themselves in the foot.

“Establishment” Democrats got u RBG, Sotomayor, Kagen, and Breyer. When Democrats and those on the left (who actually vote) fight amongst each other, the person with the R wins and we get kavannaughs and gorsiches.

I also understand the value of strictly people driven, grass roots funding but It’s really irresponsible to say that just becuz candidates do high dollar fundraisers or get money from big business that it negates their support for a woman’s right to choose, raising the minimum wage, supporting safety net programs, gun control etc.

I wasn’t bothered at all when AOC said in another country her and Biden wouldn’t be in the same party, but just like in democracies with multi parties, there is a give and take to come up with a governing coalition, that’s what the Democratic Party in the US is.

In a country of 330 million ppl, no one is going to get exactly what they want but if u can get as much of the country to reflect as much of what you value as possible, why thru the Baby out with the bath water.

prototype

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Thu May-07-20 07:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Pivoting more to the left should be easy for Democrat candidates..."
In response to Reply # 0

...yet they rarely seem to do it ...they always seem to pivot to the right as the election gets closer, and they expect everyone to follow. Then they wonder why progressives continue to bash the candidate. Personally I will NEVER vote for the republican but Democrats need to realize they still need to EARN their votes.. Joe Biden hasn't figured this out yet, and he's clearly not the only one.

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Lobby General Discussion topic #13382461 Previous topic | Next topic