Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13263144

Subject: "Will you push your kids to go to college no matter what?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Will you push your kids to go to college no matter what?"
Mon Jun-04-18 12:27 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

A college degree used to be the easy pass ticket to a middle/upper middle class life. And it kind of still is. Average wages for college grads are much higher than high school grads.

But things are changing to where some college degrees aren't that valuable at all.

With the increasing price of higher ed, the cost-benefit analysis isn't as one sided as it used to be.

So what will you (or did you) do? Push kids to go to college regardless of financial outcomes (i.e. college is to learn, not get a job)? Push them to college but only in lucrative majors? Or push them more towards practical skills training outside of college?

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2018-06-04/four-year-college-degrees-aren-t-the-only-path-to-success

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I will push them but I won't force them
Jun 04th 2018
he has the best of both worlds
Jun 04th 2018
no.
Jun 04th 2018
I'll encourage it but the reality is that there are so many other avenue...
Jun 04th 2018
I don't even want to think about college cost 16 to 18 years from now
Jun 04th 2018
yes, pushing towards that.
Jun 04th 2018
my son is 16, will be a Junior when school starts back in August...
Jun 04th 2018
End of the 8th inning for me
Jun 04th 2018
It depends on the child
Jun 04th 2018
yeah for me it's either yall go to college or trade school.
Jun 04th 2018
FUCK yeah.
Jun 04th 2018
He/She's getting a GED at 13....
Jun 04th 2018
the questions.
Jun 04th 2018
Nah, pushing them towards their passion. Which may include...
Jun 04th 2018

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79897 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I will push them but I won't force them"
In response to Reply # 0

I have 529b's for both kids and they will have to use it for education in some way.

I'm going to diversify in a few years just in case they have other ideas.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16804 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "he has the best of both worlds"
In response to Reply # 0

I went the academic route
My wife did not
She makes almost twice than me and we both have six figure salaries

there are pros and cons with each track...
my wife is currently in school now just for shits and giggles and because her job pays for
she is also in school something she loves
I went to school for something I wanted to do since I was 6

if they don't go I wont be disappointed
but they will have our support either way

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "no."
In response to Reply # 0

unless its suddenly free.

mellowboogie
Member since Jun 26th 2006
3608 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:25 PM

4. "I'll encourage it but the reality is that there are so many other avenue..."
In response to Reply # 0

kids can take now. I'm not sure how it works in America apart from crazy debilitating student loans, but in Europe there are plenty of other opportunities and 3rd level isn't necessarily the best choice anymore.
I never got my degree, college wasn't for me. Now I'm doing a few different things that I love and making it work for me.

I just hope my daughter is happy in whatever she chooses.

'Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo'

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79897 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:30 PM

5. "I don't even want to think about college cost 16 to 18 years from now"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "yes, pushing towards that."
In response to Reply # 0

It fine to not got to college, but it still holds true that a degree is helpful for a more monied future. that could change, but it'll still be harder to get exec level gigs without a degree.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Dstl1
Charter member
56260 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:47 PM

7. "my son is 16, will be a Junior when school starts back in August..."
In response to Reply # 0

he's always told me he wants to go to the same college my daughter went to. I'm good with that, but he just doesn't feel like the college type to me...everyone isn't. I won't push him, but I'll certainly back him if he wants to go that route. Also, if he pivoted, I wouldn't feel a way about it.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 01:10 PM

8. "End of the 8th inning for me"
In response to Reply # 0

Kids about to be a Junior in high school, I really don't think she's ready for college. If anything she would need to go to a JC and figure out some things first.

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 01:35 PM

9. "It depends on the child"
In response to Reply # 0

We have 5. Not all our children need to attend college at least not in the traditional sense. I hoping at least one will want to be an entrepreneur and trade schools are life begging for young people to sign up.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 02:19 PM

10. "yeah for me it's either yall go to college or trade school."
In response to Reply # 9

>trade schools are life begging for young people to sign up.

and i would fully support trade school as much as college if that's the route they decide. plenty of real good money in trade, and i think you have a great shot at doing something you actually enjoy doing.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44627 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 02:20 PM

11. "FUCK yeah."
In response to Reply # 0

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28867 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 02:42 PM

12. "He/She's getting a GED at 13...."
In response to Reply # 0

dropping out and learning how to program on Udemy, starting their career at 15 and moving forward in life.

College will not be the same by then anyways at the rate this is going. There's no point in going to college 20 years from now.

naame
Charter member
21023 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 05:06 PM

13. "the questions."
In response to Reply # 0

I push for skill acquisition and curiosity. I push for good grades and proper behavior and I give information on colleges and universities.

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8344 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 05:39 PM

14. "Nah, pushing them towards their passion. Which may include..."
In response to Reply # 0

...but not the requirement as it was for me.

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13263144 Previous topic | Next topic