Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13241069

Subject: "Welcome to Trump's Trade War. Attempts to rebirth US Steel. " Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Welcome to Trump's Trade War. Attempts to rebirth US Steel. "

Trump just signed these tariffs that will go into effect in 15 days. This dude has no comprehension about globalization, modern automation and is stuck in the nostalgia of Steel History. These jobs are not coming back in mass. But Cheers.

I'm sure more news regarding the mid-term and long-term consequences is to come.

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
UPDATE INFO
Mar 08th 2018
YT base still gon cream themselves over "Americans first"
Mar 08th 2018
Jo Schmo is about to have a future brought to him by the letter L
Mar 08th 2018
      lmao
Mar 09th 2018
Jeff Flake threatens bill to nullify Trump's tariffs
Mar 08th 2018
Apparently people don’t understand that there is a trade deficit...
Mar 08th 2018
Even more people don't understand trade deficits aren't necessarily bad.
Mar 08th 2018
RE: Even more people don't understand trade deficits aren't necessarily ...
Mar 08th 2018
      I still don't think you get how this works.
Mar 08th 2018
           Great analogy
Mar 08th 2018
           I think that it is you that doesn’t get it.
Mar 09th 2018
                And now how many new people will get laid off to compensate?
Mar 09th 2018
                     thank you for this analogy
Mar 09th 2018
                     I don’t know where you reside but...
Mar 09th 2018
                          I live near Cleveland.
Mar 09th 2018
lol this is the same level analysis our president uses.
Mar 08th 2018
These niggas really do take Atlas Shrugged for truth.
Mar 08th 2018
YEP! They do!
Mar 08th 2018
The man is a complete moron
Mar 08th 2018
Trump Administration Admits Trump’s $1 Billion Demand From China Was S...
Mar 08th 2018
      Dr. Evil ass mofo
Mar 09th 2018
"COOOOAAAL?!" (c) Dave Chappelle
Mar 09th 2018
chump bff sold $30M in steel-related stock before tariffs announcement
Mar 09th 2018

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 04:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "UPDATE INFO"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/08/politics/trump-latest/index.html

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 04:15 PM

2. "YT base still gon cream themselves over "Americans first""
In response to Reply # 0

Jo schmo just hears the America first rhetoric and feels that trump cares and maybe just maybe he will stop taking L's in the future

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 04:24 PM

3. "Jo Schmo is about to have a future brought to him by the letter L "
In response to Reply # 2

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 10:51 AM

17. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 3

<--- Big Baller World Order

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 04:43 PM

4. "Jeff Flake threatens bill to nullify Trump's tariffs"
In response to Reply # 0

Jeff Flake threatens bill to nullify Trump's tariffs
Lauren Fox
By Lauren Fox, CNN

Updated 4:14 PM ET, Thu March 8, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/08/politics/jeff-flake-anti-tariff-bill/index.html

(CNN)Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake has threatened to introduce legislation to nullify the President's tariffs if they are anything like what Donald Trump is predicting.

"I'm going to -- as soon as it comes out if it is anything approximating what he's talked about -- introduce legislation to nullify it. I'm assuming I won't be the only one to do that," the frequent Trump critic told reporters Thursday.

Flake, like many Republicans, has expressed deep concerns about Trump's plans to issue new tariffs on aluminum and steel and says he's ready to fight legislatively if needed.

RELATED: Another Republican senator -- Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa -- opposes Trump tariffs

Lawmakers have largely remained in the dark about the White House's plans, but many senators said it's a long shot at best to stop Trump. Even if Congress does act, it would likely need 67 votes to override an expected presidential veto in the Senate, a massive undertaking in a deeply divided body.

Sen. John Thune, a member of GOP leadership, described the potential for a successful legislative action a "double bank shot," Wednesday when talking to reporters.

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 07:27 PM

5. "Apparently people don’t understand that there is a trade deficit..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-08-18 07:27 PM by hip bopper

What suggestions do you have to rectify this matter? We can’t keep letting the world get over on us when it comes to trade.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 08:02 PM

6. "Even more people don't understand trade deficits aren't necessarily bad."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Mar-08-18 08:24 PM by stravinskian

I have a trade deficit with my local grocery store. I buy stuff from them all the time, and they basically never buy anything from me. But somehow I'm doing just fine. (The grocery store is just barely getting by, though.)

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 08:31 PM

8. "RE: Even more people don't understand trade deficits aren't necessarily ..."
In response to Reply # 6

>I have a trade deficit with my local grocery store. I buy
>stuff from them all the time, and they basically never buy
>anything from me. But somehow I'm doing just fine.
>

They can’t keep doing that though. When you keep putting out and no one is buying from you then the economy will suffer immensely.

stravinskian
12698 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 08:59 PM

9. "I still don't think you get how this works. "
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Mar-08-18 09:04 PM by stravinskian

I give the grocery store money, they give me things. It's a perfectly equitable exchange and it works for both parties. But it means I have a 100% trade deficit with them, and I always will. Who cares?

The money is counted in the trade deficit and the goods are not. This does not mean that I'm giving anything up. The food is more important to me than the cash.

Similarly, the steel that the US buys from foreign countries is more useful to those who buy it than the cash they used to buy it. Car makers, for example, use that steel to produce goods, some of which are sold back to foreign countries (hence the trade deficit is not 100% in that case), and some of which are sold within the US. {Note that when a US car is sold in the US, it actually hurts the trade deficit because then it can't be counted as a foreign purchase!} The car buyers are happy with their cars, the car makers are happy to have made a profit, and the foreign steel producers are happy to have sold their steel. Each of these players is gaining in this transaction.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 11:31 PM

14. "Great analogy "
In response to Reply # 9

hip bopper
7385 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 12:59 PM

19. "I think that it is you that doesn’t get it."
In response to Reply # 9

Because of the tariffs imposed a local steel company added 1000 jobs. This will help revitalize the steel industry here in the US. I am baffled that you are comparing a grocery store to the steel industry. If your wack logic works for you then fine. As long as unemployed people can be put back to work because of this then that is all that matters.

stravinskian
12698 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 01:13 PM

20. "And now how many new people will get laid off to compensate?"
In response to Reply # 19

At car manufacturers + dealerships, as they're more expensive to make, more expensive to buy, and harder to sell?
Home appliances?
Construction?
Manufacturing?
Food and food service?
Electronics?

And then we get to the retaliatory tariffs, that will make it harder to sell US goods overseas (making the trade deficit even worse, BTW). Even our closest allies (the EU specifically), have already started planning those out.

If you save 1,000 jobs, and in the process you destroy 20,000 other jobs, that is not good news for the American worker.

As to the grocery store analogy, that was just to explain that the trade deficit is not the issue, it's a way to obfuscate the issue and pretend you're being more quantitative than you actually are. If your concern is jobs, just say your concern is jobs. Then we can be concerned about the same thing. But tariffs do not save jobs. If your concern is US steel jobs, specifically, then yes, tariffs will help with that, and a lot of other Americans will pay the price.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 01:19 PM

21. "thank you for this analogy"
In response to Reply # 20

I will use this on one of them fools the next time they give Trump credit for firing up the furnaces

then promptly leave before they ask me more questions

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

hip bopper
7385 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 01:42 PM

22. "I don’t know where you reside but..."
In response to Reply # 20

in northeast Ohio or in Pittsburgh where the steel industry was the backbone of the economy in that city, then you didn’t see how families were devastated when steel mills had to be closed down. Why??? The reason being was because steel imports were cheaper. Businesses were moving overseas. This will be good because people who worked in that industry will be able to get their jobs back and put food on their tables.

stravinskian
12698 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 01:55 PM

23. "I live near Cleveland."
In response to Reply # 22
Fri Mar-09-18 01:58 PM by stravinskian

So yes, I know what the end of the steel industry has meant for a lot of people's lives. And I'll be very happy for every single person around here who finds a job again if steel mills reopen.

Unfortunately, any new or reopened mills would be much more automated, so there won't be jobs like there used to be. Robots have cost a lot more manufacturing jobs than globalization. And whatever jobs there are would be dependent on those tariffs. So when a future president comes to his senses, all those steel workers who got their hopes up can look forward to being laid off again.

And again, when other industries are seriously hurt by these tariffs, the workers in those industries will not be as excited for the few Clevelanders who suddenly have jobs in the mills again.

It's not fun when the economy changes. But you can't just bring things back to where they were.

Pittsburgh is a very good example: it took time, but they eventually built a new economy that wasn't dependent on an industry of the past. Now, while Pittsburgh might not be the nicest place in the world to live, it's a hell of a lot better than Cleveland or Buffalo (or so I hear).

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 08:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "lol this is the same level analysis our president uses."
In response to Reply # 5

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 09:23 PM

10. "These niggas really do take Atlas Shrugged for truth."
In response to Reply # 0

LOL

------------------
One Hundred.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 09:28 PM

12. "YEP! They do!"
In response to Reply # 10

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 09:28 PM

11. "The man is a complete moron"
In response to Reply # 0

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 09:48 PM

13. "Trump Administration Admits Trump’s $1 Billion Demand From China Was S..."
In response to Reply # 11

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/trumps-usd1-billion-china-demand-supposed-to-be-usd100-billion.html

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 05:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Dr. Evil ass mofo"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri Mar-09-18 05:43 AM by Innocent Criminal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKHSAE1gIs

EDIT: I just clicked on the link, lol. They made the reference already.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 10:09 AM

16. ""COOOOAAAL?!" (c) Dave Chappelle"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a local small business vendor who's business might tank or prices might skyrocket because of this shxt.

good lookin out, #45

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Mar-09-18 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "chump bff sold $30M in steel-related stock before tariffs announcement"
In response to Reply # 0

this election was basically the moment in the horror movie when the portal to hell gets busted open and all the demons, monsters, and all kinds of evil come running out to do damage

or, what happens when all the rich, the alt-reich, the trolls, and the nationalist morons figure there will be no consequences for any of their actions

http://fortune.com/2018/03/03/carl-icahn-steel-shares/

Carl Icahn sold about $30 million of shares in crane manufacturer Manitowoc Co. in the weeks before President Trump said he would impose new tariffs on U.S. steel imports.

The billionaire investor sold more than a third of his stake in the Manitowoc, Wisconsin-based company, which has a sizable exposure to U.S. steel imports, from Feb. 12 through Feb. 22, according to a regulatory filing last Friday. Icahn remains Manitowoc’s fifth-largest holder with about 4.8 percent of the company’s common shares.

//
Shares of Manitowoc fell as much as 7 percent in New York trading Friday. They’ve lost about 22 percent since Feb. 9, the last trading day before Icahn starting reducing his stake.

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13241069 Previous topic | Next topic