Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWelcome to Trump's Trade War. Attempts to rebirth US Steel.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13241069
13241069, Welcome to Trump's Trade War. Attempts to rebirth US Steel.
Posted by Case_One, Thu Mar-08-18 04:07 PM
Trump just signed these tariffs that will go into effect in 15 days. This dude has no comprehension about globalization, modern automation and is stuck in the nostalgia of Steel History. These jobs are not coming back in mass. But Cheers.

I'm sure more news regarding the mid-term and long-term consequences is to come.

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins
13241072, UPDATE INFO
Posted by Case_One, Thu Mar-08-18 04:14 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/08/politics/trump-latest/index.html

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins
13241075, YT base still gon cream themselves over "Americans first"
Posted by Madvillain 626, Thu Mar-08-18 04:15 PM
Jo schmo just hears the America first rhetoric and feels that trump cares and maybe just maybe he will stop taking L's in the future
13241079, Jo Schmo is about to have a future brought to him by the letter L
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu Mar-08-18 04:24 PM
13241216, lmao
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Mar-09-18 10:51 AM
13241087, Jeff Flake threatens bill to nullify Trump's tariffs
Posted by Case_One, Thu Mar-08-18 04:43 PM
Jeff Flake threatens bill to nullify Trump's tariffs
Lauren Fox
By Lauren Fox, CNN

Updated 4:14 PM ET, Thu March 8, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/08/politics/jeff-flake-anti-tariff-bill/index.html

(CNN)Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake has threatened to introduce legislation to nullify the President's tariffs if they are anything like what Donald Trump is predicting.

"I'm going to -- as soon as it comes out if it is anything approximating what he's talked about -- introduce legislation to nullify it. I'm assuming I won't be the only one to do that," the frequent Trump critic told reporters Thursday.

Flake, like many Republicans, has expressed deep concerns about Trump's plans to issue new tariffs on aluminum and steel and says he's ready to fight legislatively if needed.

RELATED: Another Republican senator -- Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa -- opposes Trump tariffs

Lawmakers have largely remained in the dark about the White House's plans, but many senators said it's a long shot at best to stop Trump. Even if Congress does act, it would likely need 67 votes to override an expected presidential veto in the Senate, a massive undertaking in a deeply divided body.

Sen. John Thune, a member of GOP leadership, described the potential for a successful legislative action a "double bank shot," Wednesday when talking to reporters.

13241117, Apparently people don’t understand that there is a trade deficit...
Posted by hip bopper, Thu Mar-08-18 07:27 PM
What suggestions do you have to rectify this matter? We can’t keep letting the world get over on us when it comes to trade.
13241121, Even more people don't understand trade deficits aren't necessarily bad.
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Mar-08-18 08:02 PM
I have a trade deficit with my local grocery store. I buy stuff from them all the time, and they basically never buy anything from me. But somehow I'm doing just fine. (The grocery store is just barely getting by, though.)
13241126, RE: Even more people don't understand trade deficits aren't necessarily bad.
Posted by hip bopper, Thu Mar-08-18 08:31 PM
>I have a trade deficit with my local grocery store. I buy
>stuff from them all the time, and they basically never buy
>anything from me. But somehow I'm doing just fine.
>

They can’t keep doing that though. When you keep putting out and no one is buying from you then the economy will suffer immensely.
13241128, I still don't think you get how this works.
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Mar-08-18 08:59 PM
I give the grocery store money, they give me things. It's a perfectly equitable exchange and it works for both parties. But it means I have a 100% trade deficit with them, and I always will. Who cares?

The money is counted in the trade deficit and the goods are not. This does not mean that I'm giving anything up. The food is more important to me than the cash.

Similarly, the steel that the US buys from foreign countries is more useful to those who buy it than the cash they used to buy it. Car makers, for example, use that steel to produce goods, some of which are sold back to foreign countries (hence the trade deficit is not 100% in that case), and some of which are sold within the US. {Note that when a US car is sold in the US, it actually hurts the trade deficit because then it can't be counted as a foreign purchase!} The car buyers are happy with their cars, the car makers are happy to have made a profit, and the foreign steel producers are happy to have sold their steel. Each of these players is gaining in this transaction.
13241143, Great analogy
Posted by Case_One, Thu Mar-08-18 11:31 PM

13241306, I think that it is you that doesn’t get it.
Posted by hip bopper, Fri Mar-09-18 12:59 PM
Because of the tariffs imposed a local steel company added 1000 jobs. This will help revitalize the steel industry here in the US. I am baffled that you are comparing a grocery store to the steel industry. If your wack logic works for you then fine. As long as unemployed people can be put back to work because of this then that is all that matters.
13241320, And now how many new people will get laid off to compensate?
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Mar-09-18 01:13 PM
At car manufacturers + dealerships, as they're more expensive to make, more expensive to buy, and harder to sell?
Home appliances?
Construction?
Manufacturing?
Food and food service?
Electronics?

And then we get to the retaliatory tariffs, that will make it harder to sell US goods overseas (making the trade deficit even worse, BTW). Even our closest allies (the EU specifically), have already started planning those out.

If you save 1,000 jobs, and in the process you destroy 20,000 other jobs, that is not good news for the American worker.

As to the grocery store analogy, that was just to explain that the trade deficit is not the issue, it's a way to obfuscate the issue and pretend you're being more quantitative than you actually are. If your concern is jobs, just say your concern is jobs. Then we can be concerned about the same thing. But tariffs do not save jobs. If your concern is US steel jobs, specifically, then yes, tariffs will help with that, and a lot of other Americans will pay the price.
13241326, thank you for this analogy
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Mar-09-18 01:19 PM
I will use this on one of them fools the next time they give Trump credit for firing up the furnaces

then promptly leave before they ask me more questions
13241352, I don’t know where you reside but...
Posted by hip bopper, Fri Mar-09-18 01:42 PM
in northeast Ohio or in Pittsburgh where the steel industry was the backbone of the economy in that city, then you didn’t see how families were devastated when steel mills had to be closed down. Why??? The reason being was because steel imports were cheaper. Businesses were moving overseas. This will be good because people who worked in that industry will be able to get their jobs back and put food on their tables.
13241360, I live near Cleveland.
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Mar-09-18 01:55 PM
So yes, I know what the end of the steel industry has meant for a lot of people's lives. And I'll be very happy for every single person around here who finds a job again if steel mills reopen.

Unfortunately, any new or reopened mills would be much more automated, so there won't be jobs like there used to be. Robots have cost a lot more manufacturing jobs than globalization. And whatever jobs there are would be dependent on those tariffs. So when a future president comes to his senses, all those steel workers who got their hopes up can look forward to being laid off again.

And again, when other industries are seriously hurt by these tariffs, the workers in those industries will not be as excited for the few Clevelanders who suddenly have jobs in the mills again.

It's not fun when the economy changes. But you can't just bring things back to where they were.

Pittsburgh is a very good example: it took time, but they eventually built a new economy that wasn't dependent on an industry of the past. Now, while Pittsburgh might not be the nicest place in the world to live, it's a hell of a lot better than Cleveland or Buffalo (or so I hear).
13241125, lol this is the same level analysis our president uses.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Mar-08-18 08:19 PM
13241130, These niggas really do take Atlas Shrugged for truth.
Posted by Castro, Thu Mar-08-18 09:23 PM
LOL
13241132, YEP! They do!
Posted by Jon, Thu Mar-08-18 09:28 PM
13241131, The man is a complete moron
Posted by Jon, Thu Mar-08-18 09:28 PM
13241134, Trump Administration Admits Trump’s $1 Billion Demand From China Was Supposed to Be $100 Billion
Posted by j0510, Thu Mar-08-18 09:48 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/trumps-usd1-billion-china-demand-supposed-to-be-usd100-billion.html
13241151, Dr. Evil ass mofo
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Fri Mar-09-18 05:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKHSAE1gIs

EDIT: I just clicked on the link, lol. They made the reference already.
13241192, "COOOOAAAL?!" (c) Dave Chappelle
Posted by infin8, Fri Mar-09-18 10:09 AM
I have a local small business vendor who's business might tank or prices might skyrocket because of this shxt.

good lookin out, #45
13241293, chump bff sold $30M in steel-related stock before tariffs announcement
Posted by Riot, Fri Mar-09-18 12:44 PM
this election was basically the moment in the horror movie when the portal to hell gets busted open and all the demons, monsters, and all kinds of evil come running out to do damage

or, what happens when all the rich, the alt-reich, the trolls, and the nationalist morons figure there will be no consequences for any of their actions

http://fortune.com/2018/03/03/carl-icahn-steel-shares/

Carl Icahn sold about $30 million of shares in crane manufacturer Manitowoc Co. in the weeks before President Trump said he would impose new tariffs on U.S. steel imports.

The billionaire investor sold more than a third of his stake in the Manitowoc, Wisconsin-based company, which has a sizable exposure to U.S. steel imports, from Feb. 12 through Feb. 22, according to a regulatory filing last Friday. Icahn remains Manitowoc’s fifth-largest holder with about 4.8 percent of the company’s common shares.

//
Shares of Manitowoc fell as much as 7 percent in New York trading Friday. They’ve lost about 22 percent since Feb. 9, the last trading day before Icahn starting reducing his stake.