Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13144060

Subject: "your favorite bloody/zombie Easter song." Previous topic | Next topic
HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 04:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"your favorite bloody/zombie Easter song."

the last time i went to church on Easter i was struck by how gory and weird so many gospel songs can be. so much talk about torture and blood...wow.

which one is your favorite? i think mine is the one about them hanging him high stretching him wide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWg9d1HMlgk

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
odd how an immortal man is paid tribute through images of his death
Apr 12th 2017
what you mean?
Apr 13th 2017
How is that odd if you understand the premise?
Apr 13th 2017
      even if you don't even believe in all of it,
Apr 13th 2017
      Yep. Even from a literary standpoint it makes perfect sense
Apr 13th 2017
      Man all the bloody face pictures emaciated carcass imagery is odd
Apr 13th 2017
           No, it's not, because the death and triumph are hand in hand
Apr 13th 2017
                I respect you view and interpretation but Miracles >> death IMO
Apr 13th 2017
                     Do you really not grasp the significane of the crucifixion?
Apr 13th 2017
                     Do you really not grasp the significance of the crucifixion?
Apr 13th 2017
                          Everybody dies CT it's the conquering of death that is unique
Apr 13th 2017
I'm just here for the pimp suits and colored 'Gators.
Apr 13th 2017
LMAO. I'm from So-Cal. I'm just here for the plaid button-ups.
Apr 13th 2017
      No dinner invites yet, and I'm low-key offended.
Apr 13th 2017
           Noteps? LMAO
Apr 13th 2017
                Vegan Lasagna and shit...
Apr 13th 2017
                     Curry Tofu... foh
Apr 13th 2017
do people still have Easter dinner?
Apr 13th 2017
If not, I wasted a lot of money on tupperware.
Apr 13th 2017
where are you going?
Apr 13th 2017
      I'm gonna send out a random family text, and see who bites.
Apr 13th 2017
My immediate family doesn't.
Apr 13th 2017
yes
Apr 13th 2017
last time i went to church on Easter the choir sang my FAVORITE
Apr 13th 2017
I've always been uncomfortable with the singing...
Apr 13th 2017
Not an easter song but I woke up singing this today.
Apr 13th 2017
This may be the last time....
Apr 13th 2017

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 04:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "odd how an immortal man is paid tribute through images of his death"
In response to Reply # 0

And suffering

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "what you mean?"
In response to Reply # 1

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44853 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:47 AM

5. "How is that odd if you understand the premise?"
In response to Reply # 1

First, his immortality is only significant to Christian ideology because of his triumph over death.

The general basis of Christianity is that He lived as man, died as a spotless sacrifice for the sins of mankind, and resurrected as a triumph over death.

That suffering is celebrated not from some morbid sense but from the standpoint of reflecting on the weight of that sacrifice.

There's no way you don't understand this.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "even if you don't even believe in all of it, "
In response to Reply # 5

its basic rise-fall-rise storytelling which is designed to uplift.

Cold Truth
44853 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 12:11 PM

14. "Yep. Even from a literary standpoint it makes perfect sense"
In response to Reply # 13

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 03:50 PM

19. "Man all the bloody face pictures emaciated carcass imagery is odd"
In response to Reply # 5

that's not this individuals final state "HE IS RISEN" is the mantra is it not? Yet the imagery is almost always of a man who is dying and or suffering despite the fact that this is what's been overcome.

In other words shouldn't the majority of the imagery be associated with the triumph over death not the succumbing to it?

Cold Truth
44853 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 04:16 PM

23. "No, it's not, because the death and triumph are hand in hand"
In response to Reply # 19

>that's not this individuals final state "HE IS RISEN" is the
>mantra is it not? Yet the imagery is almost always of a man
>who is dying and or suffering despite the fact that this is
>what's been overcome.
>
>In other words shouldn't the majority of the imagery be
>associated with the triumph over death not the succumbing to
>it?

Both are equally important and each has considerably less significance absent the other. People gravitate toward whatever imagery they so choose, and the death itself is incredibly significant.

Further, you have it 180 degrees backward: He didn't "succumb" to death. He *gave* his life. He willingly (yes, even after asking if there was any other way) gave his life and took the sin of the entire world unto his body.

Whether or not you believe the story is immaterial; if you consider the ramifications of that, the sheer agony such an act entails, you'll see and understand why the crucifixion event is given so much attention.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 05:39 PM

24. "I respect you view and interpretation but Miracles >> death IMO"
In response to Reply # 23

and rising from the grave is pretty miraculous. Again HE IS RISEN I'm focusing on the words in the book and doctrine which would seem to imply that Jesus (who is supposed to be God and thus never changes) should be celebrated in his RISEN state.

He willingly went to his death but he still succumbed to the process of dying is my point there.

Cold Truth
44853 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 05:54 PM

"Do you really not grasp the significane of the crucifixion?"

This isn't about "respecting my view" or even a matter of interpretation, it's about you choosing to completely ignore - seriously, 100%- ignoring the significance of that death.

Did you really just say "miracles>>death"?

You're completely downplaying what that death means, which is the only reason the resurrection matters.

You're treating his death like moms gave him some old fish, he fell ill and kicked the bucket as opposed to a guy whose death was a result of taking the sins of all human beings upon himself after a sinless life that fulfilled 353 prophecies starting with his conception, around 100 of which were specifically about the crucifixion, all leading to his presentation as the ultimate sacrifice for the transgressions of human kind.... and yet somehow you're trying to downplay that as though he just happened to step on a rusty nail and bought the farm.

Again, even taken as *just* a story, you're wildly, absurdly off base on the subject of the crucifixion and it's not a matter of interpretation. You actually did "miracles>>>death" like we're discussing subjective art and not two events with enormous ramifications whether or not you view it in literary or religious context.

Cold Truth
44853 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 05:54 PM

25. "Do you really not grasp the significance of the crucifixion?"
In response to Reply # 24
Thu Apr-13-17 05:54 PM by Cold Truth

This isn't about "respecting my view" or even a matter of interpretation, it's about you choosing to completely ignore - seriously, 100%- ignoring the significance of that death.

Did you really just say "miracles>>death"?

You're completely downplaying what that death means, which is the only reason the resurrection matters.

You're treating his death like moms gave him some old fish, he fell ill and kicked the bucket as opposed to a guy whose death was a result of taking the sins of all human beings upon himself after a sinless life that fulfilled 353 prophecies starting with his conception, around 100 of which were specifically about the crucifixion, all leading to his presentation as the ultimate sacrifice for the transgressions of human kind.... and yet somehow you're trying to downplay that as though he just happened to step on a rusty nail and bought the farm.

Again, even taken as *just* a story, you're wildly, absurdly off base on the subject of the crucifixion and it's not a matter of interpretation. You actually did "miracles>>>death" like we're discussing subjective art and not two events with enormous ramifications whether or not you view it in literary or religious context.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 06:31 PM

26. "Everybody dies CT it's the conquering of death that is unique "
In response to Reply # 25
Thu Apr-13-17 06:32 PM by Atillah Moor

>This isn't about "respecting my view" or even a matter of
>interpretation, it's about you choosing to completely ignore -
>seriously, 100%- ignoring the significance of that death.
>
>Did you really just say "miracles>>death"?

Well I'm trying to be simplistic but yes coming back from the dead is greater than dying. If you had witnessed such an event what part of the story would you be the most excited to tell?

>You're completely downplaying what that death means, which is
>the only reason the resurrection matters.

No it's important to the story, but without the rising from the dead there is no story right? That part is integral from where I stand.

>You're treating his death like moms gave him some old fish, he
>fell ill and kicked the bucket

No I'm treating it like a man who knew he could not die and could summon legions of angels (his words)

as opposed to a guy whose death
>was a result of taking the sins of all human beings upon
>himself after a sinless life that fulfilled 353 prophecies

The foretelling of his coming in the old testament is not really fact due to evidence of those prophecies being either retro written or re written from their Sumerian origins. Not getting into that. No to mention that we could go through each one and I could point out how they don't speak to his coming.

>starting with his conception, around 100 of which were
>specifically about the crucifixion, all leading to his
>presentation as the ultimate sacrifice for the transgressions
>of human kind.... and yet somehow you're trying to downplay
>that as though he just happened to step on a rusty nail and
>bought the farm.

See the above paragraph

>
>Again, even taken as *just* a story, you're wildly, absurdly
>off base on the subject of the crucifixion and it's not a
>matter of interpretation. You actually did "miracles>>>death"
>like we're discussing subjective art and not two events with
>enormous ramifications whether or not you view it in literary
>or religious context.

My argument is the suffering of Christ is promoted much more heavily in imagery than his triumph. I can understand the human need to identify with suffering, but the focus always ends on the triumph. That does not appear to be the visual message. To me that is odd if God want's us to not fear death etc.

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 09:46 AM

2. "I'm just here for the pimp suits and colored 'Gators."
In response to Reply # 0

Back again for the first time.

Cold Truth
44853 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:51 AM

6. "LMAO. I'm from So-Cal. I'm just here for the plaid button-ups."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Apr-13-17 10:51 AM by Cold Truth

Well, that and a polite way to decline someone's abuelita's nasty, gummy tripas, someone's grandmama's nasty, gassy greens, or someone's granny's nasty, unseasoned mashed potatoes without deeply offending everyone in their family.

Just depends on who invited me to dinner that year.

Shogun
3042 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:59 AM

7. "No dinner invites yet, and I'm low-key offended."
In response to Reply # 6

all these Bohos and NoTeps have RUINED the holidays. After while, only old people are gonna celebrate Easter, Thanksgiving, and Xmas.

Everybody is scared to celebrate religious holidays, and cook that good soul food shit. I'mma need me some greens with a big ass turkey neck in that shit.

I want Extra gluten, Sugar, dead animals, and whatever else I'm not supposed to eat. All on one plate.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:24 AM

10. "Noteps? LMAO"
In response to Reply # 7

I don't want any food a Notep is cooking to begin with. I still got old heads I can rely on.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Shogun
3042 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:36 AM

12. "Vegan Lasagna and shit..."
In response to Reply # 10

>I don't want any food a Notep is cooking to begin with.

don't want nothin' fake on my plate.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 04:05 PM

21. "Curry Tofu... foh"
In response to Reply # 12

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:40 AM

4. "do people still have Easter dinner? "
In response to Reply # 0

Shogun
3042 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:03 AM

8. "If not, I wasted a lot of money on tupperware."
In response to Reply # 4

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 12:47 PM

17. "where are you going?"
In response to Reply # 8

I might throw some lamb on the grill but not much else.

Shogun
3042 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 03:27 PM

18. "I'm gonna send out a random family text, and see who bites."
In response to Reply # 17

"Happy Easter, everybody!!! Who's cooking?"

*emoji emoji emoji emoji*

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:10 AM

9. "My immediate family doesn't."
In response to Reply # 4

I hadn't even heard of such a thing until I was in my 20s. My family used to spend the whole day in church - 3 services. We had dinner in the church basement with the congregation. That's the life when your parents are a deacon and a church mother. Church all day.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:34 AM

11. "yes"
In response to Reply # 4

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 12:16 PM

15. "last time i went to church on Easter the choir sang my FAVORITE"
In response to Reply # 0

Gospel song of all time, 'Hallelujah Salvation and Glory (He Is Wonderful)':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9wc0eVe6cg

and i lost it completely. i didn't run around the sanctuary shouting but i wanted to.

on the real the choir is the main (only?) reason i want to go to church this Sunday. i'm debating it.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 12:39 PM

16. "I've always been uncomfortable with the singing..."
In response to Reply # 15

I think because it exposes my emotions. shouldn't even matter, right?

then I joined a choir and the director would tell me to be mindful of when singing off key. You could often hear me on the recording saying, "oops"

I tend to say my thoughts out loud...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 04:01 PM

20. "Not an easter song but I woke up singing this today. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/B48FhyMdJ2E?t=18s

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMuEWqraMTw

that video looks like it could have been taking from my church.

definitely morbid stuff if you think about it too long.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 04:14 PM

22. "This may be the last time...."
In response to Reply # 20

That takes me back to my family's church in rural Alabama. Lol

Lobby General Discussion topic #13144060 Previous topic | Next topic