Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12895265

Subject: "You send a check, they go weeks without cashing, does interest accrue?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Sep-13-15 08:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"You send a check, they go weeks without cashing, does interest accrue?"
Sun Sep-13-15 08:59 AM by Jon

Family member recently got a decent job, sent a thousand dollars to pay off a chunk of a debt in collections that is accruing interest fast, and the lawyer she sends the checks to has been sitting on it for like 3 weeks now, the money hasn't been taken. Can this cat just hold it indefinitely and watch interest continue to rise on her?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no.
Sep 13th 2015
why do u need to pay a debt thru a lawyer? i'd say yes though
Sep 13th 2015
does the lawyer hold the debt?
Sep 13th 2015

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Sun Sep-13-15 09:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "no."
In response to Reply # 0

if they have proof of payment/mailing AND they're willing to raise hell go to court over it.

otherwise probably yes.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sun Sep-13-15 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "why do u need to pay a debt thru a lawyer? i'd say yes though"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-13-15 09:23 AM by thegodcam

how is the company that is owed money suppose to know when the check was made to them? if somebody gives me a check today with a valid date for a month before, the truth is i only had access to said money today and not a month earlier... not to mention that i dont know if the person wrote the check this morning with a false date on it....

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Sun Sep-13-15 12:48 PM

3. "does the lawyer hold the debt?"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #12895265 Previous topic | Next topic