Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12894448

Subject: "Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 06:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/"

Hockey/Soccer/Badminton/Rugby/etc etc etc?

It's always something I think about doing, but I feel I won't have the time for. I figure there's all types, from those that are filled with 58 year old corporate folks, to those that have almost-NBA players, and even some that are almost NBA Level, word to Octavio Paz's YMCA League (http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=65705&mesg_id=65705&page=4)

My cousin plays in a Football league here in L.A., and is part of the Inglewood Blackhawks. They take it SERIOUS for sure...like, with legit looking championship rings, major parties when they win each year, strenuous practices. I was surprised that adult league Football was so physical, even though I knew it would be tackle. They pay to enter, and the games cost to get in.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol.. Hockey.
Sep 10th 2015
Yea, I'm 30, so the last bit of my athletic prime is probably about to
Sep 10th 2015
did fast pitch baseball for a few years
Sep 10th 2015
indoor soccer is popular here
Sep 10th 2015
Just started playing on my company's softball team
Sep 10th 2015
i did that a few years ago and it was the exact same thing
Sep 11th 2015
RE: Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/
Sep 10th 2015
Softball, Ultimate Frisbee and touch football.
Sep 10th 2015
played Rugby Union for years
Sep 10th 2015
soccer in pasadena - hella fun, at least one league
Sep 10th 2015
Golf - regular in 1 league, sub in another
Sep 11th 2015
lmao @ strenuous practices...
Sep 11th 2015
Been in Adult Basketball League
Sep 11th 2015
I've played in the local platform tennis (aka paddle) league for decades
Sep 11th 2015
There's a 40 and over league in Chicago that's SERIOUS
Sep 11th 2015

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 06:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol.. Hockey."
In response to Reply # 0

it's worth it.. if you think you want to do it.. give it a shot for a season.. it feels great to get into a competitive game of whatever your sport of choice is...

that said I'm too old and done with injuring myself so naw... but I keep meaning to revisit that idea cause I miss it.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Yea, I'm 30, so the last bit of my athletic prime is probably about to"
In response to Reply # 1

run out soon. I literally need 3-4 months training to get back to my top skill level, though...my 16 year old self would serve me on the court.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 06:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "did fast pitch baseball for a few years"
In response to Reply # 0

there were different divisions based on skill level. I played in the top division. It was basically ex college players and some current college players looking to stay in shape. It was just competitive enough for me. That division was great. But the weaker divisions always had issues. Pitchers throwing at batters, players trying to take out second basemen and catchers. Bunch of weekend warriors. The top division was just guys looking to have some fun. So it was competitive but also fun and safe. No bullshit. I guess those guys had more to lose.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 07:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "indoor soccer is popular here"
In response to Reply # 0

because fuck texas weather

ive played for a long long time all levels and coed.

for indoor here its real easy one night a week. most people play in multiple divisions so for example i have two games to night, back to back actually.

i was going to try out for the sidekicks(goalkeeper) when they held them but no way i could get out of work

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 07:18 PM

5. "Just started playing on my company's softball team"
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone is terrible so for the first time in my life, I'm a top five player lol

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35258 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 07:14 AM

11. "i did that a few years ago and it was the exact same thing"
In response to Reply # 5

First day we fielded some grounders and took a few swings

5 minutes later i was playing 3rd base and batting 3rd in the lineup lol

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 07:31 PM

6. "RE: Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-10-15 07:32 PM by southphillyman

i did for basketball
i played in a corporate league that a bunch of pharma companies ran in a private school
played 1 yr and my team actually won the chip
played in a korean church league, that was interesting
and i played in one of those hood playground above the rim type leagues
barely got tick and got my ass bust bad when i did

i got invited to play in two separate full tackle football leagues (no pads)
i said foh cause that's got to be bout the dumbest shit i ever heard
most of the niggas i knew who played were blue collar too, doubt they even had insurance like that

oh and i played corporate baseball last yr
bowling too one year. damn i did a lot now that i think about it

~~~~~~

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 09:45 PM

7. "Softball, Ultimate Frisbee and touch football."
In response to Reply # 0

Softball was cool. It was a church league, and I'm far from churchy, but some friends recruited me to play. Surprisingly competitive for a church league.

Ultimate was fun as hell. Very diverse mix of people, great parties or cookouts after, fun sport...etc. I'd still play if it didn't conflict with family stuff.

I had to let football go. I'm too old for that shit... A bunch of overly aggresive, frustrated ex-college players trying to relive the glory days. I was going to work the next daylike Ed Norton in Fight Club.

ACRG
Member since Aug 21st 2007
3496 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 09:57 PM

8. "played Rugby Union for years"
In response to Reply # 0

o00o

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 10:47 PM

9. "soccer in pasadena - hella fun, at least one league"
In response to Reply # 0

the other was brutal as the other teams were way on point and we weren't. if i did again i want to hoop but i already know it would have to be weekends for me a to have a shot at my old school nick van exel southpaw game haha
i'm on a LA area facebook group that does our own little pick up ball flash mobs at different courts, which is dope. had some fun runs with LA okps way back too. i actually finally just copped some jumpsoles! haha

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 05:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Golf - regular in 1 league, sub in another"
In response to Reply # 0

It's alright, the competition aspect is fun but the players aren't that good and the rounds take forever. I'd like to find a league with better players but it's hard to break in somewhere, you gotta know someone already in.

Golf is good for the work aspects though. I met a lot of people and made a lot of good connections through the game. Not so great for physical activity and staying in shape, especially if you ride the cart around. I usually walk unless it's a hilly course.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 07:47 AM

12. "lmao @ strenuous practices..."
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

empro
Member since May 24th 2005
3975 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 07:52 AM

13. "Been in Adult Basketball League "
In response to Reply # 0

For about 4 years. We won the championship last season and moved up in divisions. Brandon played with us one season too. lol

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 10:15 AM

14. "I've played in the local platform tennis (aka paddle) league for decades"
In response to Reply # 0

started occasionally when I was in high school even though it was all adults; never stopped except when I was living somewhere that didn't have a league.

Paddle's a tennis spinoff started sometime around WWII; basically a tennis court the size of a badminton court, caged in with tight chicken wire and the ball can (after it bounces in the in-play section of the court) go off the wires. The ball is kind of like a super pink rubber ball, but covered with a flocking. Historically an outdoor winter sport; Season typically runs October through March, though I play all year now.

The Philadelphia area league is comparatively enormous now - it was 13 clubs with a A and B team each when I started, and now it's 96 teams of eight guys, spread across eight divisions and with a geographic radius that's probably over 50 miles between clubs at its furthest points. There's a huge variety in competition in league play; the lower divisions can easily welcome beginners, and in the top divisions there are plenty of players with national rankings. I beat a guy last spring who finished the 2014-15 season at like 14th in the country. Of course, he was playing with a relative schlub, but still!

One of the great things about paddle is that it's comparatively easy on the body; my pop was relatively competitive up until his knees gave out at 73, and my club has two guys in their mid-80s still playing at a decent level.

The other great thing about the league is that it can be very social; host teams usually provide food and beer, and I tend to get their money's worth. Unfortunately this means it's frequently not a net loss of calories, but it's all part of the fun.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 10:52 AM

15. "There's a 40 and over league in Chicago that's SERIOUS"
In response to Reply # 0

i stopped fully doing leagues but i played in one this summer with all sub 25 year olds on my team and i was so frustrated i stopped going after game 4....

@geahuwine

Lobby General Discussion topic #12894448 Previous topic | Next topic