Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWho's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12894448
12894448, Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Sep-10-15 06:22 PM
Hockey/Soccer/Badminton/Rugby/etc etc etc?

It's always something I think about doing, but I feel I won't have the time for. I figure there's all types, from those that are filled with 58 year old corporate folks, to those that have almost-NBA players, and even some that are almost NBA Level, word to Octavio Paz's YMCA League (http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=65705&mesg_id=65705&page=4)

My cousin plays in a Football league here in L.A., and is part of the Inglewood Blackhawks. They take it SERIOUS for sure...like, with legit looking championship rings, major parties when they win each year, strenuous practices. I was surprised that adult league Football was so physical, even though I knew it would be tackle. They pay to enter, and the games cost to get in.

12894454, lol.. Hockey.
Posted by PG, Thu Sep-10-15 06:26 PM
it's worth it.. if you think you want to do it.. give it a shot for a season.. it feels great to get into a competitive game of whatever your sport of choice is...

that said I'm too old and done with injuring myself so naw... but I keep meaning to revisit that idea cause I miss it.
12894458, Yea, I'm 30, so the last bit of my athletic prime is probably about to
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Sep-10-15 06:37 PM
run out soon. I literally need 3-4 months training to get back to my top skill level, though...my 16 year old self would serve me on the court.
12894459, did fast pitch baseball for a few years
Posted by RobOne4, Thu Sep-10-15 06:38 PM
there were different divisions based on skill level. I played in the top division. It was basically ex college players and some current college players looking to stay in shape. It was just competitive enough for me. That division was great. But the weaker divisions always had issues. Pitchers throwing at batters, players trying to take out second basemen and catchers. Bunch of weekend warriors. The top division was just guys looking to have some fun. So it was competitive but also fun and safe. No bullshit. I guess those guys had more to lose.
12894469, indoor soccer is popular here
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Thu Sep-10-15 07:10 PM
because fuck texas weather

ive played for a long long time all levels and coed.

for indoor here its real easy one night a week. most people play in multiple divisions so for example i have two games to night, back to back actually.

i was going to try out for the sidekicks(goalkeeper) when they held them but no way i could get out of work
12894474, Just started playing on my company's softball team
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Sep-10-15 07:18 PM
Everyone is terrible so for the first time in my life, I'm a top five player lol
12894562, i did that a few years ago and it was the exact same thing
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Sep-11-15 07:14 AM
First day we fielded some grounders and took a few swings

5 minutes later i was playing 3rd base and batting 3rd in the lineup lol

12894482, RE: Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Sep-10-15 07:31 PM
i did for basketball
i played in a corporate league that a bunch of pharma companies ran in a private school
played 1 yr and my team actually won the chip
played in a korean church league, that was interesting
and i played in one of those hood playground above the rim type leagues
barely got tick and got my ass bust bad when i did

i got invited to play in two separate full tackle football leagues (no pads)
i said foh cause that's got to be bout the dumbest shit i ever heard
most of the niggas i knew who played were blue collar too, doubt they even had insurance like that

oh and i played corporate baseball last yr
bowling too one year. damn i did a lot now that i think about it
12894512, Softball, Ultimate Frisbee and touch football.
Posted by bigkarma, Thu Sep-10-15 09:45 PM
Softball was cool. It was a church league, and I'm far from churchy, but some friends recruited me to play. Surprisingly competitive for a church league.

Ultimate was fun as hell. Very diverse mix of people, great parties or cookouts after, fun sport...etc. I'd still play if it didn't conflict with family stuff.

I had to let football go. I'm too old for that shit... A bunch of overly aggresive, frustrated ex-college players trying to relive the glory days. I was going to work the next daylike Ed Norton in Fight Club.
12894514, played Rugby Union for years
Posted by ACRG, Thu Sep-10-15 09:57 PM
12894523, soccer in pasadena - hella fun, at least one league
Posted by rawsouthpaw, Thu Sep-10-15 10:47 PM
the other was brutal as the other teams were way on point and we weren't. if i did again i want to hoop but i already know it would have to be weekends for me a to have a shot at my old school nick van exel southpaw game haha
i'm on a LA area facebook group that does our own little pick up ball flash mobs at different courts, which is dope. had some fun runs with LA okps way back too. i actually finally just copped some jumpsoles! haha
12894556, Golf - regular in 1 league, sub in another
Posted by osu_no_1, Fri Sep-11-15 05:50 AM
It's alright, the competition aspect is fun but the players aren't that good and the rounds take forever. I'd like to find a league with better players but it's hard to break in somewhere, you gotta know someone already in.

Golf is good for the work aspects though. I met a lot of people and made a lot of good connections through the game. Not so great for physical activity and staying in shape, especially if you ride the cart around. I usually walk unless it's a hilly course.
12894568, lmao @ strenuous practices...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Sep-11-15 07:47 AM
12894570, Been in Adult Basketball League
Posted by empro, Fri Sep-11-15 07:52 AM
For about 4 years. We won the championship last season and moved up in divisions. Brandon played with us one season too. lol
12894696, I've played in the local platform tennis (aka paddle) league for decades
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Sep-11-15 10:15 AM
started occasionally when I was in high school even though it was all adults; never stopped except when I was living somewhere that didn't have a league.

Paddle's a tennis spinoff started sometime around WWII; basically a tennis court the size of a badminton court, caged in with tight chicken wire and the ball can (after it bounces in the in-play section of the court) go off the wires. The ball is kind of like a super pink rubber ball, but covered with a flocking. Historically an outdoor winter sport; Season typically runs October through March, though I play all year now.

The Philadelphia area league is comparatively enormous now - it was 13 clubs with a A and B team each when I started, and now it's 96 teams of eight guys, spread across eight divisions and with a geographic radius that's probably over 50 miles between clubs at its furthest points. There's a huge variety in competition in league play; the lower divisions can easily welcome beginners, and in the top divisions there are plenty of players with national rankings. I beat a guy last spring who finished the 2014-15 season at like 14th in the country. Of course, he was playing with a relative schlub, but still!

One of the great things about paddle is that it's comparatively easy on the body; my pop was relatively competitive up until his knees gave out at 73, and my club has two guys in their mid-80s still playing at a decent level.

The other great thing about the league is that it can be very social; host teams usually provide food and beer, and I tend to get their money's worth. Unfortunately this means it's frequently not a net loss of calories, but it's all part of the fun.
12894714, There's a 40 and over league in Chicago that's SERIOUS
Posted by Geah, Fri Sep-11-15 10:52 AM
i stopped fully doing leagues but i played in one this summer with all sub 25 year olds on my team and i was so frustrated i stopped going after game 4....