Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12819327

Subject: ".. so how/what would you teach a preteen white kid about slavery" Previous topic | Next topic
PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
".. so how/what would you teach a preteen white kid about slavery"
Mon Jun-01-15 05:03 PM by PG

I don't talk about race here much.. but as a person trying to raise kids I want to make sure they get right about it at all costs.

I was talking to my kids the other day and learned that my 10 year old daughter recently did a unit in social studies on slavery and the underground railroad.

I asked her a few questions and quickly realized how little she grasped or was even taught.. I mean ok she's 10 but there was a total disconnect on major points like the fact that we're really talking about the slavery of black people taken from Africa... there were also ridiculous ideas like that slaves were usually criminals or such.. SMH.. I tried to explain some of these essential points to her and her older brothers who suffered many of the same misconceptions... then put on PE's Can't Truss It video and told them to listen and pay attention.

I'n all seriousness though I don't want my children to grow up ignorant, their mother already has them in a biblebelt rural area with about a .005% non-caucasian population and if you can complete a fricking social studies unit on slavery and the underground railroad without even realizing you're talking about black people there's a problem.. like a systemic racist one...

so put me up on some books or other things that might be appropriate to help me educate these kids.. I don't want to blow their minds with the horror of the whole thing, I'm looking for something age appropriate. Anybody able to help?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
really? nobody? here if I hand you a 10' pole will you touch this?
Jun 01st 2015
read slave narratives and abolitionist novels.
Jun 01st 2015
yeah unfortunately it seems what they're getting in school
Jun 01st 2015
I remember reading those and young adult historical fiction
Jun 02nd 2015
africans in america
Jun 01st 2015
Thanks that looks like a great resource... PBS = GOAT
Jun 01st 2015
So the deficiency is in the textbooks used by the school system?
Jun 01st 2015
honestly not sure at this point if it'as the text books, the teacher or
Jun 01st 2015
      Right. All you need to do initially is correct the basics.
Jun 01st 2015
           RE: Right. All you need to do initially is correct the basics.
Jun 01st 2015
It's tough, man
Jun 01st 2015
oh man don't even get me started about the native americans
Jun 01st 2015
Tell them the whole truth
Jun 01st 2015
you're going to sit a 10 year old child in front of a dubbed Italian
Jun 01st 2015
      Did you not bother to read my ENTIRE post?
Jun 01st 2015
           it should be out of the question altogether.
Jun 01st 2015
                it does sound like something I might get something myself from tho
Jun 01st 2015
                It's an interesting film, but it is way out there.
Jun 01st 2015
                RE: it should be out of the question altogether.
Jun 02nd 2015
if nothing else teach them that slaves weren't 'slaves'.
Jun 01st 2015
this
Jun 01st 2015
do you have any black friends?
Jun 01st 2015
I don't have any friends except worms
Jun 01st 2015
      good post.
Jun 02nd 2015
      : )
Jun 02nd 2015
Dont teach about just slavery. start with Africa.
Jun 02nd 2015
I'd argue that you don't at this point.
Jun 02nd 2015
PBS is a great place to start.
Jun 02nd 2015
White folks are devils hell bent on
Jun 02nd 2015
"hey son, you're the descendant of an irredeemable race...
Jun 02nd 2015
      just have him watch Metropolis instead of saying all that
Jun 02nd 2015
           or the kid could learn about abolitiionists, John Brown...
Jun 02nd 2015
                All white folks are not evil WHITENESS is
Jun 02nd 2015
                     so there are some "good ones"...word.
Jun 02nd 2015
                          Something like 25%
Jun 03rd 2015
                               lol, that's much more generous than i thought you'd be...
Jun 03rd 2015
why wouldn't you want to blow their mind? what are you afraid of?
Jun 02nd 2015
I was 10 when I read the Autobiography of Malcolm X...
Jun 02nd 2015
But you are also not white
Jun 02nd 2015
      i read it at 14, changed my life
Jun 02nd 2015
      You may be an outlier, but how did it?
Jun 02nd 2015
      well aside from just being an amazing individual story...
Jun 02nd 2015
      RE: i read it at 19, and was entertained
Jun 02nd 2015
      RE: i read it at 13, changed my life
Jun 02nd 2015
      I was into British monarchy and Greek/Roman history
Jun 03rd 2015
not sure
Jun 02nd 2015
They're probably not going to read. Look into documentaries
Jun 02nd 2015
The problem w that type of kid is
Jun 03rd 2015
      how miserable of a person do you have to be to pre...
Jun 03rd 2015
           I'd venture not miserable at all just aware of the stats and culture
Jun 03rd 2015
                Pretty much
Jun 03rd 2015
I still remember being in 6th grade History class.
Jun 02nd 2015
yall wanna see a dead body?
Jun 02nd 2015

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 06:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "really? nobody? here if I hand you a 10' pole will you touch this?"
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 06:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "read slave narratives and abolitionist novels."
In response to Reply # 0

I dunno - I was taught in school. I just completed my assignments.

fuck you.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 06:53 PM

5. "yeah unfortunately it seems what they're getting in school"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Jun-01-15 06:54 PM by PG

falls waaaaaaaaay short.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:29 PM

31. "I remember reading those and young adult historical fiction"
In response to Reply # 2

Nightjohn by Gary Paulsen was a good one

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 06:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "africans in america"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/home.html

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 06:53 PM

4. "Thanks that looks like a great resource... PBS = GOAT"
In response to Reply # 3

I really appreciate you linking that up for me.

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 06:54 PM

6. "So the deficiency is in the textbooks used by the school system?"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, the easiest/default answer is to show them the first two episodes of "Roots" and take a Q/A afterward.

I dunno if I'd go much further than that and a generalized history of slavery hitting historical figures (essentially in the same summerized format used by the textbook, albeit with the facts corrected). If the child themselves asks to learn more info, then one could go into slave narratives and books specifically about slavery, but I think the first key goal should be correcting the textbooks at the textbooks' level.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 07:05 PM

8. "honestly not sure at this point if it'as the text books, the teacher or"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Jun-01-15 07:06 PM by PG

simply my own kids level of engagement in their studies.. It just came up this weekend in casual conversation so I haven't had an opportunity to see the textbook etc.. I just tried to explain some of what it felt was missed..

I'm going to give this some more thought because you're right I don't want to drown them in an overwhelming amount of information but I do want them to be aware of some of the main points and not entirely niave and ignorant.. if they want to learn more in great depth, good, if not, ok, but they need to have a good understand and appreciation of the basics... which right now I'm not confident they have.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 10:00 PM

16. "Right. All you need to do initially is correct the basics."
In response to Reply # 8

That alone will probably put them ahead of much of the American populace.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 10:27 PM

19. "RE: Right. All you need to do initially is correct the basics."
In response to Reply # 16

>That alone will probably put them ahead of much of the
>American populace.

yeah... to say that is unfortunate is a doozy of an understatement.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 07:03 PM

7. "It's tough, man"
In response to Reply # 0

I just watched the 4th grade spring concert which celebrated the Constitution and Bill of Rights, all of which was made possible by... COMPROMISE! And while there was some stuff about the population vs equal representation argument, there was NO THING about the fact that population counted a slave as 3/5 of a human. Or that you were only 'equal' if you had property. Etc. etc.

Last year when he was in 3d grade my oldest had to do an independent project on Daniel Boone. Not a single book he checked out on Daniel Boone said that he was a slaveholder. They also all skirted the fact that the land Boone helped settle west of the Gap was forcibly taken from natives, that that was the reason Booneville was constatly under attack by natives. My son didn't actually believe me on either of those two points until we went to the Daniel Boone homestead museum. Even then he was uncomfortable including them in his patter for the parents-visit-the-classroom-for-famous-Pennsylvanians day. At least the museum guy talked him out of wearing a coonskin cap and buckskins.

The temptation to sanitize history for kids is definitely strong, especially when school board officials are elected and you're in a very conservative suburb, but I find that kids are pretty resilient and don't mind learning the bad along with the good.

I'll have to think about books... I know there are some that are good for stuff like this. Will try to get back to you tomorrow.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 07:09 PM

9. "oh man don't even get me started about the native americans"
In response to Reply # 7

and the raw deal they got...

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 07:14 PM

10. "Tell them the whole truth"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-01-15 07:16 PM by Selassie I God

Maybe not all at once (since you said Preteen), but as they get older, inform them of facts.

Like how Triangle Slave trade worked.
How Africans took part in the practice.
How a large population of Native Americans and Irish were also slaves during the early period on slavery in the U.S. (though not in the huge numbers comparatively)
The mental part of slavery, and how that mental slavery still impacts black people to this day.

Also, I recommend a film called "Goodbye Uncle Tom". Much more realistic than "Roots" and it is based on slave journals from the era. (Hard to find, but well worth it. You may want to view it alone first, kind of graphic at points)

Kudos to you for making the effort to educate your kids to things that the educational system refuses to address. Learning helps to bridge gaps.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 08:25 PM

11. "you're going to sit a 10 year old child in front of a dubbed Italian"
In response to Reply # 10

slave "mockumentary" with that level of explicit content?

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 08:47 PM

12. "Did you not bother to read my ENTIRE post?"
In response to Reply # 11

The VERY FIRST LINE is:

>>>Maybe not all at once (since you said Preteen), but as they get older, inform them of facts.<<<

Then near the end, I clearly said about the movie;

>>> (Hard to find, but well worth it. You may want to view it alone first, kind of graphic at points)<<<

So, anything you decided to mention, I already addressed.

Have a nice day.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 09:53 PM

15. "it should be out of the question altogether."
In response to Reply # 12
Mon Jun-01-15 09:59 PM by b.Touch

It'd be a waste of time to even sit and watch it "first" to decide if it's appropriate to show to a child. The answer is no, both for purposes of content and that it's not going to be accessible to a kid that age. Or possibly of any age; I wouldn't sit my mother in front of "Goodbye Uncle Tom", because it's too out-there to be an effective viewing experience for her or the average audience member in general.

That's something for a college-age student, and one in particular looking to study how other cultures (since the film is Italian) saw American slavery.

It's not terribly effective as an educational tool as well unless you were teaching film and not history, given its high stylization.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 10:30 PM

20. "it does sound like something I might get something myself from tho"
In response to Reply # 15

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 10:50 PM

21. "It's an interesting film, but it is way out there."
In response to Reply # 20

It's "available" at that website where a lot of user-generated video content can be found.

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 08:42 AM

25. "RE: it should be out of the question altogether."
In response to Reply # 15

>It'd be a waste of time to even sit and watch it "first" to
>decide if it's appropriate to show to a child. The answer is
>no, both for purposes of content and that it's not going to be
>accessible to a kid that age. Or possibly of any age; I
>wouldn't sit my mother in front of "Goodbye Uncle Tom",
>because it's too out-there to be an effective viewing
>experience for her or the average audience member in general.
>
>

Given fact that kids watch zombies, vampire shows, and other assorted mass murderous crap, how this is "out of the question" is beyond my comprehension.The only part that is probably too much is where the dudes go into the slave quarters to rape the women, but damn, shows on over-the-air TV show as much sex and violence as that just about every day. If you watch with the kids and take the time to teach while watching, the movie could easily be a teaching tool. Of course, you have to know your kids and if they are ready for it, which is why I said to view it alone first.

____

(c) Luciano

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 08:54 PM

13. "if nothing else teach them that slaves weren't 'slaves'."
In response to Reply # 0

They were enslaved Africans. They were people who underwent a horric experience.

It's hard for people to relate to 'slaves' because they think that is just what they were meant to be. But anyone can be enslaved. Make sure you emphasize their humanity because it wont be assumed.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 10:19 PM

18. "this"
In response to Reply # 13

>Make sure you emphasize their humanity because it
>wont be assumed.

this is the most important lesson for every individual to learn about all others

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 09:11 PM

14. "do you have any black friends? "
In response to Reply # 0

if one is interested they may get it in books but I think there needs to be interaction.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 10:17 PM

17. "I don't have any friends except worms"
In response to Reply # 14

I don't socialize a ton with anybody but I have a few black friends and my kids have met and interacted with them it's basically a non-issue... heck the lack of context as per this poast may be a huge factor there.

I have friends of a lot of other races too.. and again the lack of context means that I don't think my kids feel that anybody is really any different and certainly no less or more.. I don't think they think about it at all

but when they start talking about this social studies unit on slavery and none of them seemed to have really put anything together I gotta wonder and make sure that I don't fall down on the job.

btw if you're ever in Vancouver you best be coming for dinner.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 07:04 AM

22. "good post. "
In response to Reply # 17

the reality is, it may already be too late.

you've raised an insensitive ogre.

but, if that's not the case:

I think you should start with why the textbooks are leaving information out.

describe the world to her on your own words.

be passionate about the conversation. get upset, even.

continue the conversation - for the rest of their lives.

it's not a one and done.

worms
Member since Jun 19th 2002
9071 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:10 PM

36. ": )"
In response to Reply # 17

autobiography of frederick douglass would be a good place to start. i remember reading that in school and it being pretty damn moving.

actually wikipedia says that the proper title is Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 07:06 AM

23. "Dont teach about just slavery. start with Africa. "
In response to Reply # 0

explain to her that dark skinned people had a whoole other life and a whoooole other world until 'it' started happening.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 08:30 AM

24. "I'd argue that you don't at this point. "
In response to Reply # 0

Your kid(s) are pre-teen so they'll soon be thinking and caring about things not related to people that are not related to them. It would be one thing if they were interested in the subject in which case I'd suggest maybe Amistad or that they read some children's books about it. There's one in particular I can't recall the title of but it was something Ike "they raised their hands to the stars" or something.

If this is something you're really concerned about (because your kids will be fine either way) then the best course of action (imho) is to have them get involved in activities where they can make friends who aren't white, all they need is one good friend of a different background to give them some perspective.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Marla
Charter member
18577 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 09:25 AM

26. "PBS is a great place to start."
In response to Reply # 0

Slavery and the Making of America DVD+ Paperback Book

http://shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=3941505&cp=2729308.2883339&pg=2&parentPage=family

The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross DVD and Book Combo
http://shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=29150076&cp=2729308.2883339&s=D-ReviewRating-QPBS&parentPage=family

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/home.html

Pbs is a really great resource with several options.
Back in the day I checked Eyes on the Prize out from the library. They may carry the others.

As for how to speak about it, factually. I wouldn't shy away from it but at the same time you have to balance your delivery out with your child's innocence level. At 10 I wouldn't draw a parallel between then and now but in their teen years I would.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 10:36 AM

27. "White folks are devils hell bent on"
In response to Reply # 0

creating a permanent underclass they could exploit, rape, serve as entertainment and discard of when ready. See the prison industrial complex also this is why they love dogs anything domesticated and denatured to fill their lost sense of humanity.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:23 PM

30. ""hey son, you're the descendant of an irredeemable race..."
In response to Reply # 27

of devils who repress their hidden desire to bang canines...

therapy starts next week"

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:41 PM

32. "just have him watch Metropolis instead of saying all that"
In response to Reply # 30
Tue Jun-02-15 01:42 PM by Atillah Moor

it even has the necessary demonic symbolism.

Or Birth Of A Nation is you want to go with non-fiction

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:46 PM

34. "or the kid could learn about abolitiionists, John Brown..."
In response to Reply # 32

the Labor Movement...

something white folks were legit involved in that can bring him pride instead of shame...

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:57 PM

35. "All white folks are not evil WHITENESS is"
In response to Reply # 34

It's time to come back to humanity.

John Brown is a G along with all those involved in the Underground railroad that risked neck and limb to end a system of exploitation and dehumanization.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:12 PM

37. "so there are some "good ones"...word. "
In response to Reply # 35

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 11:59 AM

50. "Something like 25%"
In response to Reply # 37

But it's all good as that number is more or less equal to the black population and greater than it if you factor in those behind bars.

philpot
21673 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 12:03 PM

51. "lol, that's much more generous than i thought you'd be..."
In response to Reply # 50

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 10:40 AM

28. "why wouldn't you want to blow their mind? what are you afraid of?"
In response to Reply # 0

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 10:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "I was 10 when I read the Autobiography of Malcolm X..."
In response to Reply # 0

and that led me on a whirlwind of research about my history. So, that age is not too young to understand these concepts. I mean, you know your child best. So, you know what they can take in, but I reject the notion that 10 is too young to learn about the complexities of racism and slavery in America.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:43 PM

33. "But you are also not white"
In response to Reply # 29

A white kid would have to be a young Tim Wise to actually get introspective like that and why would they with a culture that can so easily distract them?

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:12 PM

38. "i read it at 14, changed my life"
In response to Reply # 33

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:41 PM

39. "You may be an outlier, but how did it?"
In response to Reply # 38

I have a hard time envisioning a drastic change i.e. I was really racist then read this books and no I'm not.

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 03:03 PM

42. "well aside from just being an amazing individual story..."
In response to Reply # 39
Tue Jun-02-15 03:04 PM by philpot

it exposed me to ideas and a world that i was not fully aware of and did not fully understand (not to imply any subsequent level of "full understanding")

it made me realize what a large portion of the history i had learned to that point was manipulated or false and how people i had been raised to view as heroes were really villains...

i think an understated thing about Malcolm was that he knew how to communicate to white folks, i think that's why the media latched onto him, his charisma and ability to make anyone understand what he was saying.

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:47 PM

40. "RE: i read it at 19, and was entertained"

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:48 PM

41. "RE: i read it at 13, changed my life"

that book changed everything about me.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 12:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
52. "I was into British monarchy and Greek/Roman history"
In response to Reply # 33

and the issues of class that arose in literature surrounding those cultures. So, it's possible for someone to be interested in cultures not directly associated with them, mainly because they are just interesting. I'm not saying it's the norm, but it is definitely possible for a preteen to grasp those concepts and be interested enough to explore them further.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 03:06 PM

43. "not sure "
In response to Reply # 0

but i just saw this

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_history_of_american_slavery/2015/06/the_interesting_narrative_the_autobiography_of_freed_slave_olaudah_equiano.html?wpsrc=fol_tw

which has this

This document supplements Episode 2 of the History of American Slavery, our inaugural Slate Academy. Please join Slate’s Jamelle Bouie and Rebecca Onion for a different kind of summer school. To learn more and to enroll, visit slate.com/academy.

so maybe that for the summer?
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 03:23 PM

44. "They're probably not going to read. Look into documentaries "
In response to Reply # 0

I'm guessing they didn't pay attention to the books in school if they have these ideas. Or maybe they have reading comprehension issues.

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 07:28 AM

47. "The problem w that type of kid is"
In response to Reply # 44

As unlikely to read they'll be just as unlikely to watch docs

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

philpot
21673 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 09:28 AM

48. "how miserable of a person do you have to be to pre..."
In response to Reply # 47

judge children you don't even know?

and then out the other side of your mouths pretend to be some sort of warriors for what is right...

disgusting

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 11:53 AM

49. "I'd venture not miserable at all just aware of the stats and culture "
In response to Reply # 48

Which pretty much says white kids are not likely to be interested in things not related to them or that otherwise don't affect them.

It's just the way it is. There is like zero reason for a white person grown or not to give 2 cents about African history. Kudos to those that want to be educated, knowledgeable, etc., but to act like white supremacy is without benefit is absurd.

If this country wanted well rounded world citizens it would create them and certainly would have by now.

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 06:35 PM

53. "Pretty much"
In response to Reply # 49

There are less and less readers
Kids are less and less likely also to watch docs

Odds are really really good that a kid who isn't interested in history esp at-am history or reading it's pretty unlikely they will watch a doc

~~~~
~~~~

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 03:55 PM

45. "I still remember being in 6th grade History class."
In response to Reply # 0

And it covered American History from maybe the 1400's to the 1900's? Whatever it was..........they gave TWO paragraphs about slavery. And I remember it saying some shit exactly like "most of the slaves were treated great, because it lead to them being more productive." We read it, and I was too timid to call it out for real, but just asked the teacher, "is that true?" and he completely played it off and said "well....that's usually how it was." Thing is, my class was half Black, and NONE of the Black kids questioned it, or even mentioned it.

I wish I had been more like I was in High School...I might have thrown the book down and started a scene, just because that shit was all the way out of pocket.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 09:06 PM

46. "yall wanna see a dead body?"
In response to Reply # 45

Lobby General Discussion topic #12819327 Previous topic | Next topic