Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12817837

Subject: "Founder of Silk Road sentenced to life in prison. Overkill? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri May-29-15 03:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Founder of Silk Road sentenced to life in prison. Overkill? (swipe)"

Silk Road operator Ross Ulbricht sentenced to life in prison

Ross Ulbricht, the man behind illegal online drug emporium Silk Road, was sentenced to life in prison on Friday by Judge Katherine Forrest of Manhattan’s US district court for the southern district of New York.

Before the sentencing the parents of the victims of drug overdoses addressed the court. Ulbricht broke down in tears. “I never wanted that to happen,” he said. “I wish I could go back and convince myself to take a different path.”

The 31-year-old physics graduate and former boy scout was handed five sentences one of 20 years, one of 15 years, one of five and two of life. All are to be served concurrently with no chance of parole.

The judge handed out the most severe sentence available to the man US authorities identified as “Dread Pirate Roberts,” pseudonymous founder of an Amazon-like online market for illegal goods.

“The stated purpose was to be beyond the law. In the world you created over time, democracy didn’t exist. You were captain of the ship, the dread Pirate Roberts. You made your own laws,” Forrest told Ulbricht as she read the sentence.

Ulbrict had begged the judge to “leave a light at the end of the tunnel” ahead of his sentence. “I know you must take away my middle years, but please leave me my old age,” he wrote to Forrest this week. Prosecutors wrote Forrest a 16-page letter requesting the opposite: “ lengthy sentence, one substantially above the mandatory minimum is appropriate in this case.”

“I’ve changed. I’m not the man I was when I created Silk Road. I’m a little wiser. A little more mature and much more humble,” Ulbricht pled in court.

Forrest rejected arguments that Silk Road had reduced harm among drug users by taking illegal activities off the street. “No drug dealer from the Bronx has ever made this argument to the court. It’s a privileged argument and it’s an argument made by one of the privileged,” she said.

Silk Road was once the largest “dark web” marketplace for illegal drugs and other services. In March 2013 the secret site listed 10,000 items for sale, 7,000 of which were drugs including cannabis, MDMA and heroin. Prosecutors said Silk Road had generated nearly $213.9m (£140m) in sales and $13.2m in commissions before police shut it down.

Ulbricht was convicted in February after a four-week trial on all seven counts, from selling narcotics and money laundering to maintaining an “ongoing criminal enterprise”, a charge usually reserved for mob kingpins. Prosecutors said that he had gone so far as to solicit six murders for hire, although chat logs cast doubt on whether Ulbricht had been the primary actor in the solicitations and none of the murders were carried out.

Throughout the trial, the defense suggested that Ulbricht was the victim of a complex hacking attack that left him looking like the fall guy. Given the evidence presented against Ulbricht, the pitch proved a hard sell to the jury.

Ulbricht was arrested in the science fiction section of his public library, “literally caught with his fingers at the keyboard, running Silk Road”, said the prosecution in its opening statement. He was logged in to the Silk Road master account, according to the agents who arrested him, and investigators found chat logs and other evidence on the hard drive that implicated him.

After his conviction, the defense argued that the Silk Road was in fact a boon to the health of its clients, especially those who habitually used drugs. “In contrast to the government’s portrayal of the Silk Road website as a more dangerous version of a traditional drug marketplace, in fact the Silk Road website was in many respects the most responsible such marketplace in history, and consciously and deliberately included recognized harm reduction measures, including access to physician counseling.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ILLEGAL ONLINE DRUG EMPORIUM.
May 29th 2015
It's hypocritical and US drug policy is not based on facts
May 29th 2015
Jeff Skilling pulled off fraud in the billions cost 20,000 people their
May 29th 2015
      now we know the US government will always go lighter on
May 29th 2015
i mean he achieved what every criminal cartel on earth
May 29th 2015
depends.. what did Oliver North get again?
May 29th 2015
well thats where this guy messed up
May 29th 2015
      I'll take running nefarious enterprises above table for $500 alex.
May 29th 2015
Damn.
May 29th 2015
I don't know if I agree with it
May 29th 2015
i feel bad for anyone that gets life in prison
May 29th 2015
Way too much.
May 29th 2015
I urge all of y'all to watch Deep Web by Alex Winter when it comes out
May 29th 2015
RE: I urge all of y'all to watch Deep Web by Alex Winter when it comes o...
May 29th 2015
      he did a lot more than that
May 29th 2015
      they always do this tho. It's the same as the governments going after
May 29th 2015
it's obvs overkill --- BUT
May 29th 2015
lol he just never figured out who he had to pay off.
May 29th 2015
the dude was a moron. he did stuff right out of the 1-800-GET-INDICTED
May 29th 2015
      true.. prison prolly beats having your head put in a garbage bag.
May 29th 2015
           man, if one of those russian or chinese syndicates puts the grips on you
May 29th 2015
i mean who else were they going to murk over this?
May 30th 2015
      even worse
May 30th 2015
Wayyy too much.
May 29th 2015
Damn, that's harsh as shit. I'd be crying hard.
May 29th 2015
Not overkill
May 29th 2015
Compared to Clarence Aaron, nope, definitely not overkill...
May 30th 2015
Did you guys read the stuff about the hits?
May 30th 2015
Its impossible to run a drug ring and not have bodies on you
May 30th 2015
wait so they have peoples full name and info
May 30th 2015
If I had to give a one-word answer, no, it's not too harsh
May 30th 2015
That's the thing though. I want them to scale down, not up
May 30th 2015
sounds like we are pretty much in the same place on it
May 30th 2015
RE: If I had to give a one-word answer, no, it's not too harsh
May 30th 2015
      having read the transcript, they seem either real or intended
May 30th 2015
how deep is the deep web?
May 30th 2015

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Fri May-29-15 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ILLEGAL ONLINE DRUG EMPORIUM."
In response to Reply # 0

How is "life in prison" overkill?

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri May-29-15 04:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "It's hypocritical and US drug policy is not based on facts "
In response to Reply # 1
Fri May-29-15 04:21 PM by Atillah Moor

But instead based on racist feelings i.e. Anslinger the first drug czar.

However, if he was smart enough to set this up he should have been smart enough to have a way out.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Fri May-29-15 05:18 PM

11. "Jeff Skilling pulled off fraud in the billions cost 20,000 people their"
In response to Reply # 1

jobs and only got 24 years which he won't serve all of it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri May-29-15 10:40 PM

22. "now we know the US government will always go lighter on"
In response to Reply # 11

"white collar crime" than "OMG DRUGS".

That's a bigger issue, though a valid one.

My question is, is life in prison particularly unfair for someone who ran a drug operation, or provided the platform for said operation to flourish.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Fri May-29-15 03:59 PM

2. "i mean he achieved what every criminal cartel on earth"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-29-15 03:59 PM by GriftyMcgrift

probably wishes for

so its hard to say its an overkill when its essentially unprecedented

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-29-15 04:01 PM

3. "depends.. what did Oliver North get again?"
In response to Reply # 0

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Fri May-29-15 04:04 PM

5. "well thats where this guy messed up"
In response to Reply # 3

he ran an international drug organization without the backing of a sovreign nation.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-29-15 05:54 PM

12. "I'll take running nefarious enterprises above table for $500 alex."
In response to Reply # 5

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5180 posts
Fri May-29-15 04:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Damn. "
In response to Reply # 0

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri May-29-15 04:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I don't know if I agree with it"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-29-15 04:13 PM by BigReg

If it factored in the supposed hired killer stuff then sure.

But the article reads like a Reagan era propaganda with the parents crying about kids who overdosed as if he personally drugged them.

Long prison terms for dealing drugs has helped destroy the country.

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 05:04 PM

8. "i feel bad for anyone that gets life in prison"
In response to Reply # 0

that's a pretty fucked up situation, i bet they won't even let him near any computers

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri May-29-15 05:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Way too much."
In response to Reply # 0

Silk Road should be the Amazon.com of the 21st century.

Legalize it.

fuck you.

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Fri May-29-15 05:16 PM

10. "I urge all of y'all to watch Deep Web by Alex Winter when it comes out"
In response to Reply # 0

he made a documentary of this. I think it's gonna hit Netflix next month.

From what I've been reading, all he did was create the platform, he didn't create the online store. It's like punishing the US Government when a soldier goes rogue.

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:00 PM

13. "RE: I urge all of y'all to watch Deep Web by Alex Winter when it comes o..."
In response to Reply # 10
Fri May-29-15 06:06 PM by Deacon Blues

>he made a documentary of this. I think it's gonna hit Netflix
>next month.
>
>From what I've been reading, all he did was create the
>platform, he didn't create the online store. It's like
>punishing the US Government when a soldier goes rogue.

Exactly, I'm no expert on this but that was my understanding as well. He basically created an environment where people could carry out anonymous untraceable online transactions. Now obviously we know that would attract criminal activity but it seems like unless they can directly trace him to criminal activity it's overkill. They should be hiring him to work for the government.

But my thinking may be out of line, with this whole hastert indictment, I've been wondering why it's a crime to secretly withdraw your own money.

dude

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 08:55 PM

21. "he did a lot more than that"
In response to Reply # 13

ordering hits on people, laundering money for some really bad folk, etc.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri May-29-15 10:41 PM

23. "they always do this tho. It's the same as the governments going after"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri May-29-15 10:43 PM by b.Touch

The Pirate Bay for facilitating pirating versus suing each and every last infringer (though the RIAA did try suing them for a few years, and I think they still go after the biggest fish).

People who run those pirating sites have ended up serving years in prison for letting people download free movies and music.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "it's obvs overkill --- BUT"
In response to Reply # 0

what he did, literally anyone could do. he had very little in the way of special skill and no real connections.

the reason why most people don't do what he did is because any idiot could see this ending coming. they find you, they lock you up and throw away the key to make an example.

it ain't worth it b.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:37 PM

15. "lol he just never figured out who he had to pay off."
In response to Reply # 14

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "the dude was a moron. he did stuff right out of the 1-800-GET-INDICTED"
In response to Reply # 15

hotline.

the only weird thing is how long he made it work.

good opsec is hard, very few people are really about that life, and if you fuck up it's your LIFE on the line. if you're lucky it's just the government coming after you, not some cartel/organized crime cats. he'd already been ripped off by hackers

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:42 PM

17. "true.. prison prolly beats having your head put in a garbage bag."
In response to Reply # 16

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri May-29-15 07:00 PM

19. "man, if one of those russian or chinese syndicates puts the grips on you"
In response to Reply # 17

it's over, and they've got more hackers, more time and more money than anyone.

you can't win, and you can't go to the police, because you're running an illegal drug emporium LOL

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat May-30-15 12:38 PM

29. "i mean who else were they going to murk over this?"
In response to Reply # 14

also he did make a ton of money in commission and he knew exactly what was going on. read his conversation with the alleged assassin, even if the guy on the other end was a fed or a fish, this guy knew what was moving on his site and he knew the value of his secrets.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat May-30-15 04:53 PM

36. "even worse"
In response to Reply # 29

he sets all this shit up....and keeps living in America?

Bruh, after the first million it's time to have several places in several non-extradition countries.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:46 PM

18. "Wayyy too much."
In response to Reply # 0

Free DPR

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Fri May-29-15 08:45 PM

20. "Damn, that's harsh as shit. I'd be crying hard."
In response to Reply # 0

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:32 PM

24. "Not overkill"
In response to Reply # 0

He set-up a major drug dealing and arms selling market.

If he did this IRL it'd be bigger than Hamsterdam.

He facilitated in selling illegal drugs. Laundering money. And he tried to hire people to murder folks who thought had crossed him.

Do any of this in San Diego and you'd get major jail time.

Do all of it and it'd be a life sentence too.

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Sat May-30-15 04:38 AM

25. "Compared to Clarence Aaron, nope, definitely not overkill..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-30-15 04:41 AM by neuro_OSX

http://www.alternet.org/story/155794/24-year-old_gets_3_life_terms_in_prison_for_witnessing_a_drug_deal%3A_the_ugly_truth_of_mandatory_drug_sentencing

Fortunately he was pardoned by Pres. Obama.. Though he spent 20 years in jail over some bullshit..

Don't forget Fate Vincent Winslow, 41 year old black man that got life in prison for selling $20 dollars worth of weed..

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/27/fate-vincent-winslow-got-life-in-prison-for-20-worth-of-weed.html

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/louisiana-man-got-life-prison-selling-20-pot

"You used to be so cool, but now, you know you're so cold"

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sat May-30-15 09:36 AM

26. "Did you guys read the stuff about the hits?"
In response to Reply # 0

i thought it was overkill til I read the transcripts.
Fascinating stuff

If all those people really died...did they catch the hells angel dude or was that guy just a fed?

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/read-transcript-silk-roads-boss-ordering-5-assassinations/

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Sat May-30-15 09:43 AM

27. "Its impossible to run a drug ring and not have bodies on you"
In response to Reply # 26

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Sat May-30-15 01:23 PM

31. "wait so they have peoples full name and info"
In response to Reply # 26

but they cant verify if they were actually killed?

weird

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat May-30-15 12:36 PM

28. "If I had to give a one-word answer, no, it's not too harsh"
In response to Reply # 0

It's funny to me that the same people in here saying it's too harsh would likely point out egregious disparity between the $200 armed robber's sentence and that of the $200 million embezzler's.

This guy was basically a mix of eBay and Escobar and he was real flagrant with a fuck-you to the state. They gave it back to him. It's a shame that someone capable of doing something this elaborate is having their talent wasted, I *do* think his service added a level of safety to the drug trade (to say it's a "privileged" argument ignores context and circumstance) and of course personally I think the drug trade should be legalized and regulated. But, come on, this dude was making huge money and pushing all sorts of drugs by commission, facilitating the drug trade in a way that few if any have and to an extent that few have, too. It doesn't surprise me that they dropped the hammer on him, nor does it seem unfair.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sat May-30-15 12:41 PM

30. "That's the thing though. I want them to scale down, not up"
In response to Reply # 28
Sat May-30-15 12:59 PM by BigReg

>It's funny to me that the same people in here saying it's too
>harsh would likely point out egregious disparity between the
>$200 armed robber's sentence and that of the $200 million
>embezzler's.

In the grand scheme of things where you can have corner boys serving decades for non-violent drug offenses, yeah its fair considering the scale.

But ultimately we are punishing these dudes for supplying vices that society demands anyway under the guise of being tough on crime. Along with wasting hella cash and resources to put em away.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat May-30-15 03:11 PM

35. "sounds like we are pretty much in the same place on it"
In response to Reply # 30

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sat May-30-15 02:19 PM

32. "RE: If I had to give a one-word answer, no, it's not too harsh"
In response to Reply # 28

We can't have any conversation on how harsh his sentence is if we're not talking about the hits if they are real.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat May-30-15 03:11 PM

34. "having read the transcript, they seem either real or intended"
In response to Reply # 32

at a minimum.

dude might have started out harmless enough, but he went a lil walter white.

illEskoBar221
Member since Oct 18th 2004
8453 posts
Sat May-30-15 02:21 PM

33. "how deep is the deep web?"
In response to Reply # 0

is it just where all of the nefarious stuff happens
like the dark corners of the web
it was the end of last year when i first read the term in an article

its hard for me to imagine all the info out there in the deep web'

ad far as the sentencing...if he just created a platform
i think the punishment is a tad bit excesive
but if he was profiting off the sales...yeah hes gotta pay in some way

<----- Genesis is deep my features are that of a God

http://illeskobar.deviantart.com/
http://thisiskyleskorner.blogspot.com/