Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12796152

Subject: "its counterproductive to say police brutality doesn't affect whites" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"its counterproductive to say police brutality doesn't affect whites"
Sun May-03-15 10:59 AM by Jon

(Edit: I'm not calling all police officers enemies)

Racism and Classism and Authoritarianism and Militarism are all real and don't cancel each other out

It should be absolutely zero debate that the system is (generally-speaking) MORE vile toward you if you are black. Anyone debating that isn't paying attention.

But I recently had to send someone links who was saying shit like "white ppl don't care, the cops never kill white people, they never beat white ppl up"

And I go on the news and I see ppl say stuff like "all I want is for the cops to see us the way they see white people" ...I mean I'm not arguing that that would be a start, but its a terribly low expectation of justice, or misconception of the record of police brutality.

Police brutality and cops killing ppl could be an issue that really brings everyone together under a common interest, but is being told like its solely about race (rather than exacerbated with race)

The thing that drives this post is the fact that I feel strongly that a large swath of white people should be the natural allies of black and brown ppl in this country, but because the black and brown catch the most ACUTE and concentrated dose of injustice, the difference between the slave and coerced servant is blown up to be bigger than the difference between the servant and the master.

So huge numbers of exploited white ppl continue to think black & brown are the adversaries rather than the starkest victims of their own exploitation, and some black & brown ppl try to make it 100% about race, when its more like 50% race, 50% other shit.

We need to be able to simultaneously observe 2 facts at once:
The ppl getting fucked the most are black.
Many of the ppl getting fucked are white.

Why shouldn't we be on the same team? There's no need to pretend police brutality doesn't affect white ppl when acknowledging that would probably QUADRUPLE the ranks of ppl fighting for justice.

Poor white ppl vote republican because the left alienates them and the right lies to them. The media under-reports cop-on-white brutality even more than they underreport cop-on-black and I believe its on purpose so dumbass broke white ppl will continue worshiping the "brave men in blue" and join the front lines against the "lawless blacks"

God forbid exploited whites and minorities realize they have a common foe or common interests

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'd say you're 100% right, but whites will not trade
May 03rd 2015
I donno
May 03rd 2015
      75% of whites have little or no social interaction with black people.
May 03rd 2015
           current ignorance doesn't predict post-ignorance indifference
May 03rd 2015
                We'll have to disagree on that. Supremacy > equality.
May 03rd 2015
                     RE: We'll have to disagree on that. Supremacy > equa...
May 03rd 2015
Its not up to the minorities to help them understand
May 03rd 2015
its not ''up to'' any single faction of ppl
May 03rd 2015
      what are your experiences with this part?
May 03rd 2015
      its a mix
May 03rd 2015
      Your words go much farther then mine
May 03rd 2015
           OK, but
May 03rd 2015
                Who's making it racial?
May 03rd 2015
                     YOU PEOPLE
May 03rd 2015
                     Way to twist and fabricate everything I said to fit your own beef.
May 03rd 2015
                     its like u read a book about plumbing, now all u hear is pipes
May 03rd 2015
                     bunch of random ppl I talk to or see on TV or social media
May 03rd 2015
trying to get white working and middle class people to see that they
May 03rd 2015
Not worth our time.
May 03rd 2015
please point me to where I gave the impression its on black ppl
May 03rd 2015
tl;dr : #AllLivesMatter #WhatAboutMe
May 03rd 2015
BASICALLY
May 03rd 2015
nice try, but I've never been brutalized by cops, although
May 03rd 2015
the only separating teams is you
May 03rd 2015

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun May-03-15 10:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'd say you're 100% right, but whites will not trade"
In response to Reply # 0

Supremacy for justice. Why see yourself as equal when you pretend to be supreme?

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:09 AM

3. "I donno"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun May-03-15 11:17 AM by Jon

I think you're right about some whites, but I think a lot of whites would absolutely fight a fight if they realized its in their interest.

As many of us understand, the concept of white supremacy was programmed into the exploited classes of white ppl so they would accept their exploitation or think the problems in their life are the fault of the "other" people. They would see their exploiter as themselves and see the worse-exploited non-whites as the enemy.

Like giving half the people you rape a large coating of Vaseline, so maybe they might even learn to like it and not understand what the other ppl are screaming for.

If you show the people getting Vaseline that they're also getting raped and its not from the people screaming, many would switch.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:23 AM

4. "75% of whites have little or no social interaction with black people."
In response to Reply # 3
Sun May-03-15 11:24 AM by Atillah Moor

So I'm right about the majority of white people not the minority.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:33 AM

6. "current ignorance doesn't predict post-ignorance indifference "
In response to Reply # 4

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:42 AM

8. "We'll have to disagree on that. Supremacy > equality."
In response to Reply # 6

And most white people enjoy the benefits of white supremacy either actively or passively. As long as the backlash affects the police (who are the maintainers of white supremacy) then you won't really see that 75% change.

What we're seeing in Baltimore and other areas of concentrated poverty is just the cost of doing business. Compared to the whole it's really just a small number of black folks (and an even smaller number of the population) that this is affecting directly.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:59 AM

10. "RE: We'll have to disagree on that. Supremacy > equa..."
In response to Reply # 8
Sun May-03-15 12:08 PM by Jon

Except white supremacy is a cheap passifier compared to justice. A more just society would benefit white people. White supremacy buys you a gentler rape. Its something to hold onto given a worse alternative.

White supremacy = Vaseline vs No Vaseline

If equality = white ppl relinquish the Vaseline to be lowered to the current treatment of black ppl, you're right

If equality = we join forces so the rape stops, then this is a new paradigm entirely

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Its not up to the minorities to help them understand"
In response to Reply # 0

in between baton hits, lol.

Poor whites have gotten caught in the wheels of institutional racism simply because as time goes on it because as much about wealth, but as the poster above me said, as long as they subconciously see themselves as not one of the much maligned 'them' its all good.

And I don't think this is true:

>And I go on the news and I see ppl say stuff like "all I want
>is for the cops to see us the way they see white people" ...I
>mean I'm not arguing that that would be a start, but its a
>terribly low expectation of justice, or misconception of the
>record of police brutality.
>

I think it would be more then a great start. Hopefully once America is able to be empathetic towards minorities they can inch slowly closer being sympathetic towards the poor, mentally ill, etc.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:29 AM

5. "its not ''up to'' any single faction of ppl"
In response to Reply # 2

But when anyone is speaking, its important not to perpetuate a myth that if you're white you don't have to worry about violent cops or systemic injustice.

And in life, quibbling about whose responsibility it is to handle X-task always tends to cause nothing to get done. "I didn't dirty that dish, I only dirtied this glass"

If something needs to be done or truth needs to be told, it should be all hands on deck.

Like, how are you able to post right now if you're being hit with a baton? Obviously you have time to speak. As do I.

I'm always trying to convince poor/working white ppl that the "minorities and immigrants" are much more their natural ally than the oligarchs, prison profiteers, etc.

So I'm not telling you to go first. I'm just saying its not helpful when some ppl say things that make it seem like its solely something black and brown people have to worry about.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:35 AM

7. "what are your experiences with this part?"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm always trying to convince poor/working white ppl that the "minorities and immigrants" are much more their natural ally than the oligarchs, prison profiteers, etc.

How is your information recieved?

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 11:54 AM

9. "its a mix"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun May-03-15 11:57 AM by Jon

Obviously, just to be clear, its not like I'm out campaigning or canvassing over this stuff. Its when conversation goes to a certain place, I typically try and take advantage of the opening...

Some totally get it or are easily persuaded

Some folks are really deeply entrenched in their Faux News hypnosis and want me to just shut the fuck up

Some are like "damn, you're right. But they (minorities) hate us too"

Plenty others (like my very conservative prison-guard uncle for instance, who is overworked and still struggles to provide for his family) have had pretty hard-coded worship-like views on America and capitalism and military and cops, but when I connect their own struggle to the struggle of minorities or unemployed ppl or immigrants, you can see a moment of openness and vulnerability (as if one begins to feel like they suddenly belong --- but they belong with them instead of them) that shortly thereafter reverts to their prior programming.

And every once in a great while, you just come across ppl who just openly despise ppl of other races. Some of them, its emotional and those can usually be reached when you find out the source of their emotion...others its just some really deeply coded sense of superiority that they probably feel they need because in comparison to the white world around them, they likely feel pretty inferior.

Some are straight shallow assholes who are probably a tad sociopathic.

Can't reach everyone. By most people are out here confused as hell and trying to figure out why they feel so screwed over

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun May-03-15 12:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Your words go much farther then mine"
In response to Reply # 5

>Like, how are you able to post right now if you're being hit
>with a baton? Obviously you have time to speak. As do I.
>
>I'm always trying to convince poor/working white ppl that the
>"minorities and immigrants" are much more their natural ally
>than the oligarchs, prison profiteers, etc.

By the nature of your white skin

While THIS very specific issue, police brutality, is racialized...much of what minorities rail against; drug abuse, the anti-union sentiment, etc...are anything but.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 12:10 PM

12. "OK, but"
In response to Reply # 11

Why the need to totally racialize police brutality when there are a shitload of white victims of that too and countless more potential victims who don't realize they could be, since they THINK the cops would never do that to them.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun May-03-15 12:35 PM

13. "Who's making it racial?"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun May-03-15 12:41 PM by BigReg

>Why the need to totally racialize police brutality when there
>are a shitload of white victims of that too and countless more
>potential victims who don't realize they could be, since they
>THINK the cops would never do that to them.

Surely not the victims family; they are usually the first in line to ask for peace and wait for the findings.

Can't blame 'black leaders' Sharpton's busy running a tv show and has been a small footnote as best compared to his activism (or grandstanding) a year ago

Sure, you can run a clip of a local saying, "The Police come down here and fuck us black folks up", but its not as if he's the one chosing those clips to play.

You can argue the left and various grassroots campaign like #blacklivesmatter but its not as if Foxnews doesn't fabulously play the glorious 'Its not about race' card around a narrative about black fathers and black on black crime, lol.

Basically we've come back to the point where we've gotta tailor down two facts to make peopel understand?

So as opposed to tackling the foxnews, sensational media, etc...we are asking the grass roots organizations (who have lots of white folks already involved mind you) to tailor their message for mainstream america?

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Sun May-03-15 12:50 PM

15. "YOU PEOPLE"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun May-03-15 12:57 PM by teefiveten

YOU PEOPLE DO IT

the idea that we have to even SHAPE the idea of police brutality as being an issue white people should care about because it could happen to them is ridiculous and is just another way of reinforcing in their eyes that they are human and we are not

white people should care about people being brutalized BECAUSE THEY ARE PEOPLE

the whites who are aware that whites are brutalized and are still not upset enough to react are likely seeing that white person that was brutalized as 'other', especially if, like in cases of black folks, they are shown to be "deficient". like the mentally ill homeless white man in san diego beaten by police. or the man in Virginia who was shot during a peaceful negotiation after a domestic dispute call was placed against this man

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/us/california-homeless-beating-verdict/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/officer-who-shot-john-geer-says-he-moved-hands-toward-waist-3-other-officers-say-no/2015/01/31/7cc2c0da-a7f6-11e4-a06b-9df2002b86a0_story.html

now of the over 2000 people killed by police since 2013, there are definitely white people but the victims are overwhelmingly black and brown, which again, reinforces "other" and further removes white people from the issue as far as they are concerned. in their minds they are nothing like those people being brutalized.

so unless cops just start beating on white people (again, why would they do that when as atillah said, they are at the top of the pyramid here and enable this to continue. attacking whites does not serve the police's interest when they derive their power from this supremacy), this hopeful tactic of Jon's won't work. and LOL at the idea that "we" should be even putting effort towards this.

if white people aren't swayed because these are other human americans, then there's nothing "we" can do.

i'm just gonna say fuck you to Jon and leave this audre lorde quote right here. stop trolling with this bullshit.

“Black and Third World people are expected to educate white people as to our humanity. Women are expected to educate men. Lesbians and gay men are expected to educate the heterosexual world. The oppressors maintain their position and evade their responsibility for their own actions. There is a constant drain of energy which might be better used in redefining ourselves and devising realistic scenarios for altering the present and constructing the future.”

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:28 PM

19. "Way to twist and fabricate everything I said to fit your own beef. "
In response to Reply # 15

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:47 PM

23. "its like u read a book about plumbing, now all u hear is pipes"
In response to Reply # 15

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:24 PM

17. "bunch of random ppl I talk to or see on TV or social media"
In response to Reply # 13

>Surely not the victims family;
:
Definitely not.

they are usually the first in
>line to ask for peace and wait for the findings.
:
Absolutely.

>Can't blame 'black leaders' Sharpton's busy running a tv show
>and has been a small footnote as best compared to his activism
>(or grandstanding) a year ago
:
I don't even have MSNBC anymore (cable bill too much). I haven't even thought about what he's up to.

>Sure, you can run a clip of a local saying, "The Police come
>down here and fuck us black folks up", but its not as if he's
>the one chosing those clips to play.
:
Yeah but I don't have a problem with him saying that either. Its not totally NOT racialized either. There's a huge racial component to the brutality.

>You can argue the left and various grassroots campaign like
>#blacklivesmatter but its not as if Foxnews doesn't fabulously
>play the glorious 'Its not about race' card around a narrative
>about black fathers and black on black crime, lol.
:
Yeah, fuck Faux News. They basically just blame black ppl for everything. I can't even spend 3 seconds on that channel lol. The #blacklivesmatter thing is a mix. Black people have long been dehumanized, so specifying black lives matter makes a lot of sense. In some ways, it alienates cases of police brutality on white people, further perpetuates the idea that white folks have nothing to worry about.

But I haven't taken notes on who says what, but I'm really just referring to statements I read and hear from various remarks and conversations in the media and real life and on social media and in articles, that really paint this as a thing where its ONLY race-based. Like I said, I had to provide proof to one woman who was adament that cops never beat up or kill unarmed or innocent white people. My thing is, that takes it a step or two beyond truthful or beneficial.

>Basically we've come back to the point where we've gotta
>tailor down two facts to make peopel understand?
>
>So as opposed to tackling the foxnews, sensational media,
>etc...we are asking the grass roots organizations (who have
>lots of white folks already involved mind you) to tailor their
>message for mainstream america?
:
I think EVERYONE who speaks on something needs to be as truthful and accurate as they can. And none of us are beyond improving the clarity and accuracy of our voice. I'm not attacking anyone with this post. Nobody. I'm saying it would be helpful to the cause against police corruption and brutality if the range of victims and potential victims was displayed and wasn't artificially narrowed.

The culture in police departments all over the country needs a drastic reset. I'm just saying its important we see and express how wide-swweping the problem is, even while also acknowledging areas where its especially acute (Baltimore, black urban neighborhoods, etc)

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun May-03-15 12:49 PM

14. "trying to get white working and middle class people to see that they"
In response to Reply # 0

have anything in common with black communities (not individual isolated black folks, but black PEOPLE) is next to impossible.

And its not black folks responsibility to do that, when we're trying to not get *killed*.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:09 PM

16. "Not worth our time."
In response to Reply # 14

>have anything in common with black communities (not
>individual isolated black folks, but black PEOPLE) is next to
>impossible.

Any nigga who even thinks of going towards that goal is a complete fool, fuck him.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Get 25% off www.karmaloop.com w/ rep code JR9103 |
Nike, G-Star, Herschel, Adidas (Men's & Women's clothing)

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:37 PM

21. "please point me to where I gave the impression its on black ppl"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun May-03-15 01:38 PM by Jon

to bear the responsibility to say x or y or z

Police brutality is an issue that affects us all. Everyone who discusses police brutality would do everyone in society a favor if they didn't artificially narrow the range of the problem too much.

I'm not saying its black people who are saying or doing something wrong. I'm not saying its black people who need to do better. I'm talking to whoever of any race it applies to, that if WE care about this problem, and we want others (of any color) to understand the problem, we need not pretend its only the concern of like 12% of the population

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:26 PM

18. "tl;dr : #AllLivesMatter #WhatAboutMe "
In response to Reply # 0

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:31 PM

20. "BASICALLY"
In response to Reply # 18

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun May-03-15 01:39 PM

22. "nice try, but I've never been brutalized by cops, although"
In response to Reply # 18
Sun May-03-15 01:41 PM by Jon

if people in majority-white communities don't understand this is our problem too, one day I might be. I have friends who have been.

Rjcc
Charter member
94992 posts
Sun May-03-15 02:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "the only separating teams is you"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #12796152 Previous topic | Next topic