Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectits a mix
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12796152&mesg_id=12796169
12796169, its a mix
Posted by Jon, Sun May-03-15 11:54 AM
Obviously, just to be clear, its not like I'm out campaigning or canvassing over this stuff. Its when conversation goes to a certain place, I typically try and take advantage of the opening...

Some totally get it or are easily persuaded

Some folks are really deeply entrenched in their Faux News hypnosis and want me to just shut the fuck up

Some are like "damn, you're right. But they (minorities) hate us too"

Plenty others (like my very conservative prison-guard uncle for instance, who is overworked and still struggles to provide for his family) have had pretty hard-coded worship-like views on America and capitalism and military and cops, but when I connect their own struggle to the struggle of minorities or unemployed ppl or immigrants, you can see a moment of openness and vulnerability (as if one begins to feel like they suddenly belong --- but they belong with them instead of them) that shortly thereafter reverts to their prior programming.

And every once in a great while, you just come across ppl who just openly despise ppl of other races. Some of them, its emotional and those can usually be reached when you find out the source of their emotion...others its just some really deeply coded sense of superiority that they probably feel they need because in comparison to the white world around them, they likely feel pretty inferior.

Some are straight shallow assholes who are probably a tad sociopathic.

Can't reach everyone. By most people are out here confused as hell and trying to figure out why they feel so screwed over