Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12794098

Subject: "Is the Rev. Jamal Bryant the Man to Save Baltimore? (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
BlackSun
Charter member
183 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is the Rev. Jamal Bryant the Man to Save Baltimore? (Swipe)"

Is the Rev. Jamal Bryant the Man to Save Baltimore?
(The charismatic, controversial pastor who helped bury Freddie Gray wants to save his city.)

BY: DANIELLE C. BELTON
Posted: April 29 2015 3:14 PM

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2015/04/is_the_rev_jamal_bryant_the_man_to_save_baltimore.html

The Rev. Jamal Harrison Bryant is emotionally spent.

The past 11 days had taken their toll when The Root spoke with Bryant, 43, over the phone Wednesday. We asked him how he was handling these “hectic” days—his home city of Baltimore mired in charges of police brutality, the suspicious death of Freddie Gray while in police custody, the subsequent peaceful protests and shocking violence leading to the National Guard’s patrolling of another American city. Bryant, who delivered the eulogy at Gray’s funeral Monday, knows that it’s been chaos, but the words to truly describe it have failed him.

Or at least words that didn’t sound “heretical.”

“Hectic” will suffice, among a few other words.

For himself, for the citizens of Baltimore, Bryant sums it up thusly: “It’s been overwhelming.”

Bryant’s search for the right words—whether in describing his experiences or during his talks with the press—is one he takes seriously, one he is careful with, considering his history. The charismatic, hip-hop-style preacher is a rising star both in the black Christian community and as an activist, traveling to Ferguson, Mo., and Staten Island, N.Y., during the Michael Brown and Eric Garner deaths at the hands of police. But his mouth—the same one that gives fiery speeches and motivates the masses—also gets him in trouble. Most notably when he quoted Chris Brown in a sermon that went viral last summer.

In a sermon he gave on black men working to find “a black woman of substance,” he referenced Brown’s hit “Loyal,” which features the chorus, “These hoes ain’t loyal,” which Bryant quoted.

A lot of women were not amused. Brown, known as much for his violent antics as for his former teen-heartthrob status, is still a sore subject for many. A pastor seemingly endorsing misogyny was problematic, especially when nearly 60 percent of the pews in black churches are filled with black women.

Still, Bryant bristles at those who have labeled him a woman-hater and maintains that his intent was in the right place. “Listen to the whole sermon and not listen to a sound bite. Anything in a sound bite can be taken out of context,” he said, adding that people often quote other parts of the viral “Loyal” sermon—namely the “Little girls with dreams become black women with vision” quote—but won’t attribute them to him because he’s been labeled a sexist.

“They wrote ‘writer anonymous,’” Bryant said. “They take my stuff out of that exact same sermon, but you couldn’t ascribe it to me at the time because you’ve connected and vilified me under the Chris Brown quote.”

Still, he regrets the wording. “It was regrettable, and I’m more mindful and conscious of what I speak now,” Bryant said.

Bryant doesn’t want things like the “hoes” comment to derail his cause: fighting against discrimination, police brutality, mass incarceration and other issues affecting African Americans. It’s true, he has views that won’t jibe with those of many progressives. He is against gay marriage, but he also says that he has LGBT people in his church. (“I’m not a gay-basher; nor am I homophobic,” he said.)

Bryant believes that it’s more important to focus on our commonalities than on the one thing we may disagree on—whether that means putting aside gay marriage, getting street gangs to sign a peace treaty in the wake of Freddie Gray’s death or marching alongside Nation of Islam members to protect citizens.

“Do we agree that the prison pipeline has to end? Do we agree that racial profiling is wrong?” he asked. “We can always focus on what we don’t agree on, but is there anything we can agree with?”

One thing that he’s found he can get people to agree with him on is the need for change in Baltimore. Change from police brutality and no accountability.

“People are looking at it just from the last 11 days and don’t realize that Baltimoreans have been under suppressed rage for years,” Bryant said. “We’ve not had protests of any magnitude since 1968, when King was assassinated.”

With Gray’s death, Bryant said, the “Pandora’s box” was opened, and although several investigations have been opened into the 25-year-old’s death, there are still no answers as to what happened to Gray while he was in police custody, sustaining injuries that would eventually kill him.

This lack of justice is what Bryant believes set off youths in Baltimore and sent them out into the streets.

“Look at somebody who is 17. Since you were 14, you’ve had George Zimmerman walk. At 15, 16, had Eric Garner and Tamir Rice. This generation of millennials have not seen a justice victory. They’re not sure whether victory will be served,” Bryant said, adding, “They’ve only seen a black president, but all they’ve seen is white justice.”

Bryant, who had harsh words for President Barack Obama (“Black America has given Obama a pass. Can you imagine if Bush called these black children thugs? We’d be matching down Pennsylvania Avenue now. It’s hard to protest Pharaoh when you think he’s Moses”), was a bit easier on Baltimore’s mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

Rawlings-Blake has been under fire for her handling of the riots that eclipsed the protests of Gray’s death, with many blaming her initially lax approach for allowing parts of Baltimore to burn.

“Her greatest failure is not in policy but in P.R. She has not effectively or efficiently communicated what has taken place,” Bryant said.

As an example, Bryant pointed out that Rawlings-Blake announced that the officers involved in Gray’s arrest were put on paid administrative leave, but she didn’t explain that her hands were tied and Maryland statute states that an officer cannot be fired unless he or she is charged with a felony.

Then she made another faux pas in the eyes of Bryant: She called the rioting youths thugs.

“To call these children thugs when her team obviously forgot a year from now, when there’s an election, these thugs will be in voting booths,” Bryant said. “She forgot she’s not a politician—she’s a black politician. You can’t plead the center. You can’t pander to who’s writing the contribution checks at the expense of your base. She’s going to have to do a goodwill tour through the hood to clean that up.”

Because of his dedication to the church (“I’m one of the few people in the world that I’m actually glad to be a pastor. I don’t want to be bishop overseer. I don’t need a robe”) and his vision for Baltimore, Bryant has decided to keep his focus on the grass roots. While he doesn’t know where the next five to 10 years will take him, he is rooted in the belief that he must dedicate himself to changing Baltimore.

“I gotta change my city,” he said. “That’s where all my effort and all my energy is.”

Primal Music For Life!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I feel Baltimore's time has passed
Apr 29th 2015
Hey, it happened for Atlanta with the 96 Olympics.
Apr 29th 2015
I say GO forth and do great things Rev. Jamal Bryant!
Apr 29th 2015
Wow, I remember when y'all were dogging Rev. Bryant, but now.
Apr 29th 2015
I understand you have an agenda, but please fall back on this.
Apr 29th 2015
      I do have an agenda, it's call being fair.
Apr 29th 2015
           you really are just a terrible human being
Apr 29th 2015
           So let me get this right. I support Rev. Bryant's initiative and
Apr 29th 2015
           You know what else is fair? Having a leader who didn't prey on teenagers
Apr 29th 2015
                The Brother admittedly messed up and owned his error publicly
Apr 29th 2015
                     yet u shit on gang members who r trying 2 b positive
Apr 29th 2015
                     Let me school you Buck, while you toss a Red Herring.
Apr 29th 2015
                     we learned the term for it today: the Dunning-Kruger effect
Apr 29th 2015
                     Why don't you do something productive for your future today?
Apr 30th 2015
                          you piece of shit ass m'fucker, why dont *you*?
Apr 30th 2015
                               Jesus loves you too.
Apr 30th 2015
                     You need to understand the shame priority
Apr 30th 2015
                     Un-uh...the price for that is you don't get to lead. You missing that po...
Apr 29th 2015
                          Who are you to decide who God chooses to lead?
Apr 29th 2015
                               Miss me with that annointing shit. He's a professional public figure.
Apr 29th 2015
                                    Like I said, Who are you?
Apr 30th 2015
                                         . . .
Apr 30th 2015
                                              Good Morning sunshine.
Apr 30th 2015
I wish we'd get off this messianic tip.
Apr 29th 2015
Most of us on the ground are off of it...there are more like Jamal
Apr 29th 2015
To say nothing of where it leaves a movement when that person falls
Apr 29th 2015
totally agree...
Apr 30th 2015
there is no one single person that can "save" Bmore or any other city
Apr 30th 2015
Everyone has a role. I appreciate Jamal's efforts...
Apr 30th 2015
Word. Elijah Cummings is my dude.
Apr 30th 2015
This I can agree on...role(s)...not an avatar
May 01st 2015
One man can't Save Baltimore, but Obama can save the country. ??
Apr 30th 2015

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 04:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I feel Baltimore's time has passed "
In response to Reply # 0

It certainly has the potential to become prominent again, but it needs a whole lot to happen for that to become a reality.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 04:43 PM

3. "Hey, it happened for Atlanta with the 96 Olympics. "
In response to Reply # 1

BMore just needs that one breakthrough moment or the opportunity to attract real thriving business back to the city.

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 04:41 PM

2. "I say GO forth and do great things Rev. Jamal Bryant! "
In response to Reply # 0

I really hope that people can see how much this brother and son of the city is trying to help make things better.

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 06:28 PM

4. "Wow, I remember when y'all were dogging Rev. Bryant, but now. "
In response to Reply # 0

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 07:54 PM

5. "I understand you have an agenda, but please fall back on this."
In response to Reply # 4

Some of us aren't comfortable with him being our so-called leader. What he does for his congregation and some folks in the city is nice, but many of us have a different standard/model for how we want change to come about.

If you really want to offer something constructive to the discussion, it would be uplifting if you posted verses or stories from the bible that relate to oppression, brutality and struggle...stories that show how the Hebrews or Israel pushed through those moments. That would carry more value for me, a Baltimore resident.

------------------
One Hundred.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 08:01 PM

7. "I do have an agenda, it's call being fair. "
In response to Reply # 5

People were looking to tear this man down over a sound bite, but he's doing what's necessary and needed but ain't nobody got crap to say now.

>Some of us aren't comfortable with him being our so-called
>leader. What he does for his congregation and some folks in
>the city is nice, but many of us have a different
>standard/model for how we want change to come about.
>

And I don't recall anyone taking a vote for who will step up and do the right thing for your city. I swear as long as this kind of mentality remains, the situation will remain - and that goes for the nation, nor just Baltimore.

>If you really want to offer something constructive to the
>discussion, it would be uplifting if you posted verses or
>stories from the bible that relate to oppression, brutality
>and struggle...stories that show how the Hebrews or Israel
>pushed through those moments. That would carry more value for
>me, a Baltimore resident.

Nah, I'm going to up-flit this brother who's doing what's needed despite the haters and the naysayers. But GOD can use anyone regardless of what other;s think and maybe he's that one.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 08:08 PM

9. "you really are just a terrible human being"
In response to Reply # 7

thats my conclusion

even when someone asks for sustenance, this is what you have to offer?

you know what? im not gonna waste my type on responding to your bullshit after this

especially now that i know you are pretty much useless.

even when told to stfu you remain relentless

its like you are ignorant to your biggest shortcomings

good luck with peddling your ignorance

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 08:22 PM

10. "So let me get this right. I support Rev. Bryant's initiative and "
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Apr-29-15 08:23 PM by Case_One

his stepping in to help a bad situation to become better and I'm a terrible human being? Really? That's mighty Bigoted of you.

But I still love you.

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:15 PM

11. "You know what else is fair? Having a leader who didn't prey on teenagers"
In response to Reply # 7

A preacher, no less. The national youth leader for the NAACP, no less.

So when you hear or read folks looking at Jamal sideways, keep in mind that many of us question his decision making skills and moral compass as a result of that HEINOUS pattern of behavior that he displayed. A few good sermons and leather sleeves is not going to undo that, Case.

------------------
One Hundred.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:35 PM

12. "The Brother admittedly messed up and owned his error publicly "
In response to Reply # 11

So, who are you and the rest? Have you read your BIBLE. Our Most celebrated heroes are murderer's, adulterers, liers, and thieves that overcame their past mistakes.

>A preacher, no less. The national youth leader for the NAACP,
>no less.
>
>

Yeah, he did that. He owned that. He paid the price for that. But he also came back from that. Stood up to his mess and helped others overcome their mess too. So what, you above him now? You're better then he is? You ain't never made a mistake? Oh, Wait, you won't ever fall short right?

>So when you hear or read folks looking at Jamal sideways, keep
>in mind that many of us question his decision making skills
>and moral compass as a result of that HEINOUS pattern of
>behavior that he displayed. A few good sermons and leather
>sleeves is not going to undo that, Case.

I know all of that dirt and mess, and even more, but it's not about what was done, it's about how it was handled and how he's doing things now. It' seems that you act like he needs to come apologize to you. Who are you? What does he owe you?

That man suffered for his mistake and he never let's people forget that he made the mistake. He was young, full of himself, arrogant and he admits all of that. SO again, who are you to try and keep that Black Man down in the pit of his past. You and other are acting like these white folks and can't even see it. Old Pick and Choose ass folks.

And before you come at me, I'd ride just as hard for you if you made a mistake owned it and came back from it. I'd make sure that people knew about all the good that you are doing and how you overcame your past errors too. I support my people at every level that's trying to make a positive difference.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "yet u shit on gang members who r trying 2 b positive"
In response to Reply # 12

smh

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:49 PM

15. "Let me school you Buck, while you toss a Red Herring. "
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Apr-29-15 09:59 PM by Case_One

I got on the Gangs as an institution (Crips, Bloods, And BGF). And in that interview those gang members weren't repp'in their individuality, they were repp'in the gang that they are apart of.

But you come holla at me when this over and let me know by July how all the gangs have stopped Selling Drugs, Selling Guns, Shooting Black Men/Boys, Robbing folks, Jumping in new teens, let me know how many current members they let leave, and how the gangs have disbanded and how they have stopped all illegal activity. You come tell me when they have all given up the gang life and have repented for a new life. Do that and I will ride for every member that's turned it around - which I already do. Like I said, I know all about gang life first hand my dude.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 10:41 PM

18. "we learned the term for it today: the Dunning-Kruger effect"

it fits to a t

i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 07:06 AM

21. "Why don't you do something productive for your future today?"
In response to Reply # 18

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 11:31 AM

27. "you piece of shit ass m'fucker, why dont *you*?"
In response to Reply # 21

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 10:02 PM

29. "Jesus loves you too. "
In response to Reply # 27

Ted Gee Seal
Member since Apr 18th 2007
10091 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 02:26 PM

28. "You need to understand the shame priority"

It's far more shameful to stumble into sin from a place of struggle than jump balls deep into it from a place of privilege.

We therefore must continue to kick those who are already down while making sure that those who are already up get every advantage to get higher.

Can't have the rabble catching up.

Just IMO though.

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:43 PM

14. "Un-uh...the price for that is you don't get to lead. You missing that po..."
In response to Reply # 12

Its not a birthright, its a privilege.

------------------
One Hundred.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:52 PM

16. "Who are you to decide who God chooses to lead? "
In response to Reply # 14

>Its not a birthright, its a privilege.

Really? And You are God Now? You are the one that can decide who God uses and doesn't use? Are you the one that calls people to ministry? It is your anointing that is place on them? Negro Please, you would get crushed under that mans anointing, pressure, responsibility, battles, struggles, and burdens.

Y'all love to talk about what clergy needs to do or shouldn't do but not one of you are willing get up under this Cross to bear.

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 10:50 PM

19. "Miss me with that annointing shit. He's a professional public figure."
In response to Reply # 16

it's not an annointing, and it doesn't qualify him to do anything other than run that business. He's not a social worker, not an economist, not a lawyer, and definitely not a politician...he could have been a politician, but no one is going to elect a person who fucks teenagers and gets them pregnant.

Let's say your son was a girl, and you found out one of your ministerial colleagues was fucking (her). Would you support that same colleague if he stepped forward and said, "Hey, I want to lead a movement to reform such n such!"?

That is the lens through which we here in Baltimore look...we are not all members of your denomination so we are not concerned with whether or not someone thinks God told them to preach the gospel. When you received your calling, did God have to tell you "Hey Case, preach the Gospel...but don't fuck no teenagers, okay?"

------------------
One Hundred.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 07:06 AM

20. "Like I said, Who are you?"
In response to Reply # 19

>it's not an annointing, and it doesn't qualify him to do
>anything other than run that business. He's not a social
>worker, not an economist, not a lawyer, and definitely not a
>politician...he could have been a politician, but no one is
>going to elect a person who fucks teenagers and gets them
>pregnant.
>

I love how you picked up on only one part of all that I said, which still applies. That man don't owe you an apology. And you don't have a say or get to pick and choose. You're stuck on a matter that doesn't even matter anymore. He's taking care of his responsibility, has atoned for his mistake and has moved on like the rest of those directly involved. So who are you to hold on to the past issue?

>Let's say your son was a girl, and you found out one of your
>ministerial colleagues was fucking (her). Would you support
>that same colleague if he stepped forward and said, "Hey, I
>want to lead a movement to reform such n such!"?
>

NO. Let's Stick with the facts. Kill off of these hypotheticals, because that mess can get out of control. Stick to what's real. And again, who are you to hold on to the past issue? Who do you think that you are? Does God answer to you now?

>That is the lens through which we here in Baltimore look...we
>are not all members of your denomination so we are not
>concerned with whether or not someone thinks God told them to
>preach the gospel. When you received your calling, did God
>have to tell you "Hey Case, preach the Gospel...but don't fuck
>no teenagers, okay?"
>

See there you go assuming, I'm not a member of the AME Church, and my denomination or any denomination has anything to do with the matter. But again who are you to say what God is or is not doing? Who are you to say what God said or did not say? Who are you to say what someone can repent for and what they cannot? You can be condescending about the matter but who are you to hold on to the past issue? You sound like these white folks regarding Black men when the get out of jail for various crimes, but cant get a job. You picking and choosing what someone can overcome and what they can't be forgiven for.

Answer one these questions that you keep avoiding.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 08:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. ". . ."
In response to Reply # 20

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome...." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

fuck you.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 08:39 AM

24. "Good Morning sunshine. "
In response to Reply # 22

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 07:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I wish we'd get off this messianic tip. "
In response to Reply # 0

The issues in Baltimore and the rest of the country are systemic and institutional. We shouldn't be looking to one man to save the city, on some Batman ish. The reliance upon having a "chosen one" has greatly crippled the movement. We are all the chosen one. It's on all of us to save our respective cities.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 08:01 PM

8. "Most of us on the ground are off of it...there are more like Jamal"
In response to Reply # 6

auditioning for the part of Messiah though....

they just haven't gotten the memo that we are looking to do things different.

------------------
One Hundred.

Ted Gee Seal
Member since Apr 18th 2007
10091 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:58 PM

17. "To say nothing of where it leaves a movement when that person falls"
In response to Reply # 6

>The issues in Baltimore and the rest of the country are
>systemic and institutional. We shouldn't be looking to one man
>to save the city, on some Batman ish. The reliance upon having
>a "chosen one" has greatly crippled the movement. We are all
>the chosen one. It's on all of us to save our respective
>cities.

^^ this is beautiful.

Just IMO though.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 08:41 AM

25. "totally agree..."
In response to Reply # 6

..everyone must do their part to help

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 08:36 AM

23. "there is no one single person that can "save" Bmore or any other city"
In response to Reply # 0

jamal bryant plays a part. and so do thousands of other people...

daryloneal
Member since Jan 08th 2005
9267 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 09:16 AM

26. "Everyone has a role. I appreciate Jamal's efforts..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-30-15 09:17 AM by daryloneal

..but I also appreciate Elijah Cummings

Catherine Pugh

Brandon Scott

etc. etc..

---
but have you ever checked out my website? www.dtaylorimages.com

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 10:07 PM

30. "Word. Elijah Cummings is my dude."
In response to Reply # 26

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri May-01-15 12:15 AM

32. "This I can agree on...role(s)...not an avatar"
In response to Reply # 26

------------------
One Hundred.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 10:12 PM

31. "One man can't Save Baltimore, but Obama can save the country. ??"
In response to Reply # 0

How does that work?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12794098 Previous topic | Next topic