Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12761503

Subject: "Are you there, God? It's me, The Night Shift." Previous topic | Next topic
duD
Member since Jul 06th 2003
19709 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are you there, God? It's me, The Night Shift."

Two of my dad's friends died this week. It's Tuesday.
I guess when you enter septegenarism you start getting used to outliving your friends.

When I called my dad to see how he was doing, he sounded like he was doing great.
Turns out he hit his fifth(!) hole in one today.

They gave him a $200 bar tab to buy everybody drinks and he ended up owing 30 bucks.

I asked where he hit it and it said it was the 14th hole - the one right by the house where Buddy, the really nice golden retriever all the neighborhood kids would play with lived.

Then he told me Buddy died a couple years ago.
In a housefire. on Christmas.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The Night Shift (tm)
Mar 24th 2015
Yeah, no doubt.
Mar 24th 2015
:(
Mar 24th 2015
My grandfather passed away on 23rd Feb this year
Mar 24th 2015
That's wild
Mar 24th 2015
im here!
Mar 25th 2015
Tales of a Fourth Grade Night Shift
Mar 25th 2015
that's a lot of hole in one's.
Mar 25th 2015

samsara
Member since Sep 15th 2002
3464 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The Night Shift (tm)"
In response to Reply # 0

my dad is 71
he's always had health issues so it's taken me awhile to realize that he's 71 and i need to start realizing how lucky i am that he's still around, made it this far

he had a serious health issue around when my second child was born
and lost a lot of weight
started taking the health issues more seriously

i talk to him now like every day, every other day
i just saw him last night

glad your dad is doing well and taking everything in stride
enjoy this time with him

"i fear no fate" e.e. cummings
"No girl. No fried chicken. I'm going back to get some sleep." - Haruki Murakami

duD
19709 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:17 PM

2. "Yeah, no doubt."
In response to Reply # 1

Part of me want to have kids sooner than later so they can meet that guy.

The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle
Member since Jan 14th 2005
22411 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:19 PM

3. ":("
In response to Reply # 0

Ted Gee Seal
Member since Apr 18th 2007
10091 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:23 PM

4. "My grandfather passed away on 23rd Feb this year"
In response to Reply # 0

He'd been on the decline for years and years. At Christmas he was barely monosyllabic. It was time, but come time to face everything at the funeral, it was pretty hard.

I guess things were really hanging in my head, because one month later, 23rd March, I had a dream about him. Never had a dream with him before. He was back to his old self, and we got to talk about sports and God one last time. I got to be by his side when he passed, and to let out tears, even if in my dreams, that I didn't let myself shed at the funeral.

It's funny, because I was probably in my feelings about how I maybe didn't make the most of all my time with him. He was just the kind of person to not sweat that at all, and still find a way to give me some peace over that, even if he had to step out of heaven for a second to comfort me.

Even if you don't believe in spirituality like that, I like to think that someone could appreciate that when a person is that special, that giving, they can leave pieces of themselves behind, providing comfort once they're gone.

Just IMO though.

duD
19709 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:33 PM

5. "That's wild"
In response to Reply # 4

My dad and I never really talked about religion before tonight.

One of his friends was pretty sick, everybody knew he was going soon. He said the last time they spoke, his friend mentioned how much he regretted never trying to convert one of their Jewish friends.

My dad was like hold up what about Harvey, and his friend was like "Nah, Harvey's too smart for that."

Then my dad and I agreed that religion is pretty dumb.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "im here!"
In response to Reply # 0

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Night Shift"
In response to Reply # 0

Sadly I wasn't doing much of anything at night in Fourth grade, besides watching Nick At Night

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

JAke_one
Member since Dec 28th 2007
103 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 03:24 AM

8. "that's a lot of hole in one's. "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-25-15 03:28 AM by JAke_one

my grandparent is 86 and went to the hospital after I moved to a different city.

Having a relative in bad health is extra hard when you live in a different city.

Take care, duD.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12761503 Previous topic | Next topic